Batman Arkham Asylum - Gen. Discussion & Info

Did anyone buy it on release day at Toys R Us? I'm curious when the card is set to expire, I'd like to have it around for Mass Effect 2.

anyone else have their save file just randomly deleted? about 6 hours down the drain. only question now is do i feel like re-playing it all, or just ship it to amazon and forget about it...

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Just replay it. You know it was awesome![/QUOTE]

yes, yes it was awesome. and i did replay it, i got back to where i was in about 1/2 the time since i knew exactly what to do and i just skipped all the cut scenes and what-not.

I'm a little late to this party but I started this about 2 weeks ago and I'm almost finished. I have loved every second so far. Best game of the year, IMO. I've solved 202/240 Riddler puzzles and I plan to get everything. They nailed it.

I was roughly at roughly 50 percent completion, and when I turned the game back on today, my save file was gone. The only option was to start a new game. I know for a fact that I didn't turn the console off while the little "saving" icon was flashing. Any idea what happened? This really sucks.

Oh, man. Seems like everyone has burned through this game already but I set it aside for my GF to give to me for my Thanksgiving birthday along with the animated series. One more week! Then the batarangs fly.

I started this the other day as well (got it off Goozex).

I'm loving it so far. Not sure how much I'll bother with Riddler challenges etc. though.

Started playing this over the weekend. I think I'm around 70% done. It's awesome. Mark Hamill needs to win some awards.

I missed on this game as I had a REALLY busy summer. Finally getting caught up. I heard only good things abuot the game so I knew it must have been good but I honestly wasn't all that pumped about playing this.

After about 6-7 hours now I have to say, I'm REALLY impressed. Possibly the best game I have played all year. If you haven't played this game you need to, comic book fan or not, it's for anyone who likes quality, polished games, end of story.

Stayed up into the wee hours last night and polished of the story mode.

Great game, I'm not big on stealth or beat'em ups in general, but this game makes both so simplistic that even I could dig them.

Game could have been a little less repetitive--more enemies, less big rooms full of armed thugs to take out, more varied environment etc. and the last boss fight could have been better, but in all it's a fantastic game.

Now I'll spend some time on Riddler's challenge and see if I want to go for 100% of them and try out the challenge modes.

[quote name='playing mantis']Has anybody been able to make a UK / European gamertag and get the "Prey in the Darkness Map Pack" for 360? (exclusive to PS3 in North America).[/QUOTE]

Confirmed working! I was able to get prey in the darkness! Here is how:

I was able to make a UK Silver LIVE account at xbox.com/en-gb

just use a different email address for your foreign gamertag.

once you create the account online, check the email address for a confirmation email, your account won't be activated till you click on the link in this email.

the next step is to get on your 360 and recover the UK gamertag. This won't take long, since it's a brand new account. Make an avatar, then save & exit.

you will notice that the dashboard ads are different. go to the game marketplace as normal, and browse for Batman AA, then you will see "Prey in the Darkness" in the list.

Download the DLC with your UK gamertag. Any gamertag can access the DLC content on the xbox that the "purchase/download" first occurred on.

Once the download is complete, sign out and sign back in with your normal account, then go to "Downloaded Content in the Batman game menu.

You now have 2 new challenges, one freeflow, and one predator (and the predator challenge is great btw!)

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']^^^^^

worked like a charm. Thanks. Now if only Crime Alley and Dem Bones go up.[/QUOTE]

I traded to get Dem Bones, it's interesting. I like it more than the regular Freeflow challenges. Scarecrows Dem Bones Challenge Map is a one hit survival mode where you fight skeletons, for anybody that doesn't know.

I really wish they would release the Joker challenge room DLC for Xbox. Wish I knew someone with a PS3 and BAA so I could play the Invisible Predator mode (my favorite), sounds like an entirely different animal.

I would absolutely love to play the Joker challenge rooms. I'd easily pay for them if they'd release 'em. Considering the GTA episodes are coming to PS3 now, I guess anything is possible.

This game has the most satisfying combat I've ever played. Even though some combat challenges will take a dozen or two dozen tries, beating up thugs and ending it in slow motion never gets old. Other than a few times where camera angles gets funky near a wall, I'd give this game a near perfect 100.

Yeah, this game is definitely a great catch. Pretty surprising for a comic book adaption, but yeah, it has to be one of the most entertaining games I have played in a while.

[quote name='Tony208']This game has the most satisfying combat I've ever played. Even though some combat challenges will take a dozen or two dozen tries, beating up thugs and ending it in slow motion never gets old. Other than a few times where camera angles gets funky near a wall, I'd give this game a near perfect 100.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. On the surface, the combat is quite simple, and you can run through the game without being perfect or even near-perfect. But nailing it down and getting the challenges is extremely satisfying.

I rented this but had to return it due to some other priorities. I'm still waiting for a $20 or less deal that is obtainable. Or a trade for that matter.

Good game... good game.

I just got a confirmation on Goozex that someone is sending me B:AA. I can hardly wait, as it really pained me not to buy this on launch day. I was actually planning on getting it for the PS3 when I got around to buying one, but heck, for free is good too (actually, I think this cost me $25 in points).

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I missed on this game as I had a REALLY busy summer. Finally getting caught up. I heard only good things abuot the game so I knew it must have been good but I honestly wasn't all that pumped about playing this.

After about 6-7 hours now I have to say, I'm REALLY impressed. Possibly the best game I have played all year. If you haven't played this game you need to, comic book fan or not, it's for anyone who likes quality, polished games, end of story.[/QUOTE]

Glad to here you liked it. I felt it was the game of the year for 2009. There is something to be said for a game that doesn't make any monumental leaps, but does everything extremely well.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Stayed up into the wee hours last night and polished of the story mode.

Great game, I'm not big on stealth or beat'em ups in general, but this game makes both so simplistic that even I could dig them.

Game could have been a little less repetitive--more enemies, less big rooms full of armed thugs to take out, more varied environment etc. and the last boss fight could have been better, but in all it's a fantastic game.

Now I'll spend some time on Riddler's challenge and see if I want to go for 100% of them and try out the challenge modes.[/QUOTE]

The difference in the stealth (for me) is that unlike the old Metal Gear and Splinter Cell games, I didn't feel like I needed to stay hiding all the time. Note: Unless they had guns, which was pretty cool, because guns are bad. You felt like a bad ass stalking his prey.

The Riddler challenges are pretty easy once you find the maps, don't think you'll have much of a problem.

As a heads up... in September DC Direct will be selling a Black and White Batman Arkham Asylum Statue. Images and details included below.

14624_a_full.jpg

SCULPTED BY DAVE CORTES

From within the walls of Arkham Asylum, The Joker orchestrates the most elaborate scheme of his career: create an unstoppable army of Bane-like creatures to take over Gotham City. Only Batman, using an amalgam of detective, combat and stealth skills, can end his arch-nemesis' plans.

This very special Batman Black and White statue was developed using actual character designs from the best-selling game Batman: Arkham Asylum, current holder of the Guinness World Record for "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever," and the winner of several industry game awards.

This statue based on the video game design measures approximately 7.25" high x 6.25" wide x 4.75" deep, is painted in monochromatic tones, features a Bat-logo-shaped base and is packaged in a black and white box.

Limited Edition. Manufactured to order.
$ 80.00 US | On Sale September 1, 2010

News on the GOTY edition

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=102044

The Game Of The Year edition of Batman: Arkham Asylum due for release later this year will be playable in 3D on PS3 and Xbox 360.

That's according to an official ad for the game in India (which you can see below). The release will include Trioviz 3D technology, with two sets of 3D glasses included.

An accompanying release discloses that the Eidos title will also include six extra challenge maps, some of which have been available as DLC. These include:

* Scarecrow Nightmare Challenge Map: A combat map for expert players set in the Scarecrow's nightmarish world where players will need to fight against hordes of skeleton henchmen.

* Crime Alley Challenge Map: A combat map set in this iconic location from Gotham City that has been overrun by The Joker's henchmen.

* Totally Insane Challenge Map: A combat map set in the heart of Arkham Asylum where players will need to fight against waves of lunatics.

* Nocturnal Hunter Challenge Map: an Invisible Predator map where players will need to seize back control of the Prison Watchtowers from The Joker's henchmen.

The ad lists a late March release - but CVG understands this may have slipped. We'll check in with Eidos now.

screenshot_227874.jpg

[quote name='paddlefoot']
The Riddler challenges are pretty easy once you find the maps, don't think you'll have much of a problem.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as noted in a later post (I think) than the one you quoted, I got them all without much problem. Used an online guide for 5 or so that had me stumped. But in all it was pretty easy. Not sure what the "something really awesome happens" when you get them all was. Finding that the
Warden was the ghost of Arkham
was kind of neat, but hardly really awesome.

As for the GOTY edition, I don't have any interest in it since I didn't like the challenge mode anyway. Nor do I care about 3D. It sucks on regular TVs.

How much time did everyone generally spend on this game? Is it worth buying, or should I rent it for a week or so?

[quote name='matto1233']How much time did everyone generally spend on this game? Is it worth buying, or should I rent it for a week or so?[/QUOTE]

I spent a couple weeks on it and played the hell out of it. I didn't spend a lot of time in the challenge rooms, although some of my friends did (and are still working on those weeks later). Not a huge amount of replay in there for me aside from the challenge rooms, but it's an outstanding game and I'm happy to have it in my collection, even if just to be able to lend it out to people.

I'd say it's around 10 hours to beat. More time if you do the challenge rooms etc. after beating the game, I didn't dig those so I just beat it, Goozexed it and moved on.

Great game though.

I spent about 18 hours I think looking for all the hidden Riddler marks and stuff. If I had just gone straight through the story, it probably would've only taken 10-12 possibly less if you don't focus on getting achievements.

Yeah, I did go back and find all the Riddler challenges (cheated and used an online guide for ones I didn't find quickly) and clean up easy achievements etc., so probably around 15 hours total for me.

[quote name='Morphx2']no one knows? :([/QUOTE]
If you google the thing it shows either red blue or red green cheapy paper glasses. Is that the answer you were looking for? They are not shutter glasses.

[quote name='matto1233']How much time did everyone generally spend on this game? Is it worth buying, or should I rent it for a week or so?[/QUOTE]

picked it up for my friend at Target on clearance for $14. Never played it until that night, wow...great game, more fun than any spiderman game I've played. Considering how cheap you can it now, buying it for $10-$12 might be worth vs. a $5 rental fee. (I only know how much BBV charges around). Saw the 3D glasses thing, might only be when you're in detective mode since everything is blue and orange.

I'm not going to buy it for myself but I'll defintely borrow it from my buddy when she's done with it.

Copped this for $15 bucks this past week. Just polished off Mass Effect 2, but finals are destroying me and ME 2 burnt me out. Might not get to it until I go home but damn am I excited to get to it.

I just got to the Joker, but I stopped playing before even trying to fight him. Let's just say that the last few hours or so of the game are quite a bit more difficult. Terrific game and a definite steal from the recent sales at $15. I just wish some of the boss fights were
more you versus the boss rather than you versus the boss + 18 million thugs.

[quote name='aheineken']I just got to the Joker, but I stopped playing before even trying to fight him. Let's just say that the last few hours or so of the game are quite a bit more difficult. Terrific game and a definite steal from the recent sales at $15. I just wish some of the boss fights were
more you versus the boss rather than you versus the boss + 18 million thugs.
[/QUOTE]

Huh? The game was pretty easy. I only had trouble at Ivy to be honest and I just played on the hardest difficulty right off the bat. Joker is a pretty easy boss, btw. If you got through the earlier ones, then he should be cake.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Huh? The game was pretty easy. I only had trouble at Ivy to be honest and I just played on the hardest difficulty right off the bat. Joker is a pretty easy boss, btw. If you got through the earlier ones, then he should be cake.[/QUOTE]

Ivy and the fight right before Joker gave me the most trouble. You're right, Joker was insanely easy.

bread's done
Back