Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY PC for $13.60 on Steam! (Weekend Deal!)

[quote name='Zippon']Like I said before, with the right rig it is worlds different on PC. I'm pretty sure neither console incorporates any of the PhysX effects (someone with a 360 please correct me if I'm wrong).

My favorite effect is fog/smoke. Here are some examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApTh3dX9oKU[/QUOTE]

Like many games, I think this has the Physx logo at the beginning on ps3/360. That being said I'm sure its much better with an actual PC GPU and I don't remember anything to the extent of the video you showed above but its been probably over a year.

However, I don't know if fog effects sells me. I want to bite on this and really just looking for justification. I probably will end up getting it but its so hard for a game you love but already played to death. In those circumstances I rarely go back for just simple graphic improvements/updates and a bit more content.

^ That is pretty sweet! I have and Radeon 4870. I wonder if I will enjoy my experience or just keep waiting on a good deal for the console version (~$20 or 300-400 Goozex Pts)? I've seen the demo on 360 and it looks fine/great to me but I know what something can look like on a maxed PC. I heard this game was better with Nvidia cards.

[quote name='jughead']^ That is pretty sweet! I have and Radeon 4870. I wonder if I will enjoy my experience or just keep waiting on a good deal for the console version (~$20 or 300-400 Goozex Pts)? I've seen the demo on 360 and it looks fine/great to me but I know what something can look like on a maxed PC. I heard this game was better with Nvidia cards.[/QUOTE]

Well you are going to miss out on the Physx stuff with an ATI. You can offload it to CPU but you have to have a pretty beefy processor to handle it.

[quote name='pROvIs']Well you are going to miss out on the Physx stuff with an ATI. You can offload it to CPU but you have to have a pretty beefy processor to handle it.[/QUOTE]

I have Q9550 overclock to ~3Ghz. Whaddya think?

[quote name='pROvIs']Well you are going to miss out on the Physx stuff with an ATI. You can offload it to CPU but you have to have a pretty beefy processor to handle it.[/QUOTE]

Or you can use a cheaper nvidia card for the Physx if you have more than 1 PCI slot.

[quote name='jughead']I have Q9550 overclock to ~3Ghz. Whaddya think?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. I have an i7-860 and Nvidia GTX 470 and sometimes physx still hurts my performance. I have thought about using my GTX 250 in a second slot for physx but since I have a P55 based Mobo I would be going down to x8 PCI-X and using a ton more power for the few games that support Physx.

It was only recently that you could even offload it to CPU. I read an article and basically they determined that there really isn't a reason Physx couldn't be handled by a CPU just as efficient as a GPU. However, Nvidia/Ageia physx isnt x86 code, it is an offshoot and because of that it takes longer for CPUs to process the data. It really isn't in NVIDIA's best interest to change this. I'm sure eventually microsoft will make a component of DirectX that accomplishes the same thing and is offloaded but until that point its going to be a struggle.

The thing is that even now not many games even support it and those that do most users thing the difference is minimal(really depends how sensitive you are to these types of things) or not worth the performance decrease.

[quote name='pROvIs']Hard to say. I have an i7-860 and Nvidia GTX 470 and sometimes physx still hurts my performance. I have thought about using my GTX 250 in a second slot for physx but since I have a P55 based Mobo I would be going down to x8 PCI-X and using a ton more power for the few games that support Physx.

It was only recently that you could even offload it to CPU. I read an article and basically they determined that there really isn't a reason Physx couldn't be handled by a CPU just as efficient as a GPU. However, Nvidia/Ageia physx isnt x86 code, it is an offshoot and because of that it takes longer for CPUs to process the data. It really isn't in NVIDIA's best interest to change this. I'm sure eventually microsoft will make a component of DirectX that accomplishes the same thing and is offloaded but until that point its going to be a struggle.

The thing is that even now not many games even support it and those that do most users thing the difference is minimal(really depends how sensitive you are to these types of things) or not worth the performance decrease.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation. I may pick it up. I also read something about ATI cards not support xAA in this game. True?

[quote name='jughead']Thanks for the explanation. I may pick it up. I also read something about ATI cards not support xAA in this game. True?[/QUOTE]

I believe that is correct. The only way to get AA in Unreal Engine 3 games is to force it in nvidia's driver control panel. I do not think ATI's driver control panel has this option.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I believe that is correct. The only way to get AA in Unreal Engine 3 games is to force it in nvidia's driver control panel. I do not think ATI's driver control panel has this option.[/QUOTE]

I think that was true in the original but I thought they added it with a patch or something and thus is already included in the GOTY version.

You guys are on top of this stuff! Thanks again! CAG is so much more than a place to find cheap video games. All the in-between things about gaming can usually be found on these boards.

[quote name='jughead']You guys are on top of this stuff! Thanks again! CAG is so much more than a place to find cheap video games. All the in-between things about gaming can usually be found on these boards.[/QUOTE]

BTW for those interested, there is a guide on the official forums for ATI owners:
Batman Arkham Asylum MSAA Guide for ATi Video Cards
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=97806

This game plays pretty well with KB/M, but it's a bit better with the xbox 360 controller hooked up to your PC. Give it a shot if you've got one.

I envy all of you playing this for the first time, really awesome game! Especially if you are a fan of the comics and the 90s animated series. I already own the vanilla version of this game on PS3 but I think I might bite on the GOTY version for PC with this sale.

For everyone who asked, I would definitely recommend keyboard and mouse. I've done multiple playthroughs with both controller and KB/M and, in my opinion, the latter is superior--mainly because the camera is so much more responsive. It helps move through enemies more quickly and accurately in combat.

Also, this game is awesome!

Also, to play with a controller, is there any 3rd party dongle I can buy? I only have wireless controllers for my 360 and don't really want to spend like $40 for that M$ dongle.

[quote name='MetricTwo']For everyone who asked, I would definitely recommend keyboard and mouse. I've done multiple playthroughs with both controller and KB/M and, in my opinion, the latter is superior--mainly because the camera is so much more responsive. It helps move through enemies more quickly and accurately in combat.

Also, this game is awesome![/QUOTE]

Yea but with a wireless controller I can sit on my couch and it enjoy it on a 50" plasma :D

If I already have the original Steam version, what new stuff do I get for this?

Will my saves work? Does it use a different set of Achievements?

[quote name='2&2']If I already have the original Steam version, what new stuff do I get for this?

Will my saves work? Does it use a different set of Achievements?[/QUOTE]

Different set of achievements, and the saves DON'T work (you would have to start overt to get the achievements anyway).

[quote name='DarkPGR']Different set of achievements, and the saves DON'T work (you would have to start overt to get the achievements anyway).[/QUOTE]

Bummer. Thanks.

[quote name='1stCome']do i have to have the gfwl client to play this from steam?[/QUOTE]

just a warning the gfwl client keep crashing when i use it luckly microsft is going to to revamp gwfl in nov :roll:.

[quote name='youngavatar']just a warning the gfwl client keep crashing when i use it luckly microsft is going to to revamp gwfl in nov :roll:.[/QUOTE]

hasnt crash on me yet

[quote name='pROvIs']Even better it looks like the GOTY has it in the menus like I thought. I found the original article I read it from:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=20560[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link! I have an HD 48xx.

Only played the demo on PS3, not my style of game but I did enjoy it.
$14? Looks like this on my gaming rig?
Sounds like calling up some pizza and a steam purchase are right around the corner.

[quote name='pROvIs']
However, I don't know if fog effects sells me. I want to bite on this and really just looking for justification. I probably will end up getting it but its so hard for a game you love but already played to death. In those circumstances I rarely go back for just simple graphic improvements/updates and a bit more content.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand where you're coming from. I've never jumped back to PC on a console game just to get better graphics (I have this for PS3 as well). But the PhysX stuff added more to the atmosphere, rather than just pushing more pixels. If the fog didn't sell you, check out other vids. Greatly enhanced cloth effects, shattering environments, and dynamic paper all aid in the immersiveness. :)

Since I don't have an adapter yet for my wireless :360: controller or a wired one, I am wondering about this game. I'd love to test drive it on my :pC: and compare it to the :360: Has anyone played it on both systems, and could offer their input from a control perspective? If I get it, should I invest in the necessary controller/accessory? Or just go with KB/M?

[quote name='caldazar']Since I don't have an adapter yet for my wireless :360: controller or a wired one, I am wondering about this game. I'd love to test drive it on my :pC: and compare it to the :360: Has anyone played it on both systems, and could offer their input from a control perspective? If I get it, should I invest in the necessary controller/accessory? Or just go with KB/M?[/QUOTE]

There's a demo available you can try. From what I remember, the KB/M controls worked pretty well, but I only played the demo on PC and the full game on 360.

[quote name='caldazar']Since I don't have an adapter yet for my wireless :360: controller or a wired one, I am wondering about this game. I'd love to test drive it on my :pC: and compare it to the :360: Has anyone played it on both systems, and could offer their input from a control perspective? If I get it, should I invest in the necessary controller/accessory? Or just go with KB/M?[/QUOTE]

Again, it does control a bit better with KB/M, but as jughead rightly pointed out, a controller gives you the option of playing on your couch. So, whatever is more important to you. If you do buy a wireless receiver, make sure you look around. You can find them for

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']There's a demo available you can try. From what I remember, the KB/M controls worked pretty well, but I only played the demo on PC and the full game on 360.[/QUOTE]

I saw this earlier as I was looking @ the steam site - thanks - I'll be DL it tonight to try out.

[quote name='MetricTwo']Again, it does control a bit better with KB/M, but as jughead rightly pointed out, a controller gives you the option of playing on your couch. So, whatever is more important to you. If you do buy a wireless receiver, make sure you look around. You can find them for

I have no need for the game plus I'm second on goozex for the original. Good price though, I've been trying to get all the LIVE games for pc.

[quote name='1stCome']do i have to have the gfwl client to play this from steam?[/QUOTE]

Nope, you don't have to get the GFWL Client to be able to play the games, it is just a storefront with it's own deals and games. It is the only place you can get, for example, Gears of War, Tinker, Game Room, Age of Empires III Complete Collection, etc.

[quote name='yruluis']I have no need for the game plus I'm second on goozex for the original. Good price though, I've been trying to get all the LIVE games for pc.[/QUOTE]

Me too with getting all of them. I'm down to Star Wars Clone Wars, Dead Rising 2, Episodes from Liberty City, Dirt 2, Stormrise, and Chaos Rising for physical copies that were released in the USA.

after having forgotten my steam password for most of the day, i find myself torn by this deal. I already bought it through GFWL but i told myself that the only way i would ever re-buy would be through steam without an install limit.

Part of me really wants to jump on this, but by the time i would get around to it, it should be time for the winter sale and i could easily see this one at 7.50 by then...ugh

[quote name='forbiddenx']Is there anyway to enable PHYSX and maintain performance for ATI cards? My FPS drops to like 20 from 60 when I turn on PHYSX :([/QUOTE]

Nope. I hate Nvidia for this. I really don't want to spring for a new video card when I just purchased this ATI last June.

Bastards.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Is there anyway to enable PHYSX and maintain performance for ATI cards? My FPS drops to like 20 from 60 when I turn on PHYSX :([/QUOTE]

Nvidia card as secondary for Physx. I use one with my 5850

bread's done
Back