Batman: Arkham Asylum pre-order bonuses comparison and guide

Nebenator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Having trouble choosing which version and store to get Batman: Arkham Asylum? Use this thread for refference!

Stores:

• Amazon: $12 cheaper with 5OFFARKM code and Amazons lower price, bonus Comic Book

• Best Buy: $10 gift card, Batman DVD Pack

• Buynextgen.com: $43.95

• Gamestop: Bonus Scarecrow map (25% off any pre-owned games with pre-order, and additional Edge Card Discount is available, too)

• Gamecrazy: Joker T-Shirt

• Toys R Us: $20 gift card, $30 gift card if you are a Rewards R Us member (join here)

• Walmart: In-game armor (already unlockable if you complete the game)
Versions:

• Xbox 360: No bonuses

• PS3: Bonus Joker round

• Collectors Edition (for Xbox 360 and PS3): Previous bonuses + 14" In-Game Design Batarang, 50 page full color character encyclopedia, behind the scenes 5 chapter series DVD, Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC
Conclusion:

• For stores it depends on if you prefer a comic and discount, a bonus map, or an even higher discount but no bonuses

• For versions it depends obviously on your controller and gamerscore/trophy preferences, and the extra round

Last edited by a moderator:
GameStop is giving 25% off any pre-owned games with purchase of Batman:AA. Limit 3.

Coupon just came in email.

Nevermind. Took a chance and it all worked out. This looks like a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='donburns99']GameStop is giving 25% off any pre-owned games with purchase of Batman:AA. Limit 3.

Coupon just came in email.[/QUOTE]
Added

[quote name='blissskr']Your friends better hope MS doesn't decide to ban them for playing a game prerelease as they did with RE5[/QUOTE]

Pft..yeah maybe RE5 had some sort of retarded issue but I've seen Gamestop people play Call of Juarez, Transformer Game, Prototype, LOTS of big titles 2-3 days before its release. I don't think MS cares enough to go through the trouble.

[quote name='Maledar']Pft..yeah maybe RE5 had some sort of retarded issue but I've seen Gamestop people play Call of Juarez, Transformer Game, Prototype, LOTS of big titles 2-3 days before its release. I don't think MS cares enough to go through the trouble.[/QUOTE]
It still is a potential issue, though.
Also, feel free to post what you chose, and any more information about the pre-order bonuses!

I work in corporate loss prevention and when one of my regions stores sells anything before release date be it a movie, game, book, etc I get to do the investigation. The reason why is our system records by upc the sale date report and we have to pay huge fines for this to the publisher of whatever it may be. Albeit games usually come in a week or two early they are in my companies stores locked up in a cage to prevent prerelease problems. We have had this happen though usually its with books as they dont get locked up and someone accidently puts them out. Its really insane because for some dumb romance novel or something selling one early can result in us paying a 10,000+ fine. The fines for movies and games are much much higher penalties. The only real legal way to obtain a game prerelease is if its a demo type copy from the publisher. And just because someone may buy it early somewhere it doesn't make it a legal copy.

[quote name='Hostile']I'm surprised more people didn't call you an idiot. 12 hours these days is more than the norm for these types of games and I've heard it was more around 12-15 hours. There's also the challenge maps to play. Plenty of bang for the buck with all the discounts floating around.[/QUOTE]

I think he has a valid point 12-15 hours isn't that great. According to the video review of IGN it took 12-15 hours to beat EVERYTHING including the challenge maps. I'm guessing that makes the story more like 8-10 hours and the challenges 4-5. If you buy it at TRU for the $30 gift card you are only paying $30 for Batman:AA. It's tempting for me but I swore to myself I wouldn't buy this game until I saw it for a price point of $20...but $30 is pretty close. I'm so up in the air on this title now. Still probably going to wait for a few months.

[quote name='blissskr'] And just because someone may buy it early somewhere it doesn't make it a legal copy.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to say that if you buy it early from a store that is illegal on the consumer or the store? It is illegal for the store unless they have special permissions to sell early but the customer is at no fault in the matter.

[quote name='dude101589']I think he has a valid point 12-15 hours isn't that great. According to the video review of IGN it took 12-15 hours to beat EVERYTHING including the challenge maps. I'm guessing that makes the story more like 8-10 hours and the challenges 4-5. If you buy it at TRU for the $30 gift card you are only paying $30 for Batman:AA. It's tempting for me but I swore to myself I wouldn't buy this game until I saw it for a price point of $20...but $30 is pretty close. I'm so up in the air on this title now. Still probably going to wait for a few months.[/QUOTE]

I have a wife, a kid, and a life. So 12 hours is fine with me.

I never have understood this fascination with how many hours a game is. I care if a game is good or not. I would rather play a great 6 hour game than pay the same price for a mediocre 20 hour game.

And you can always replay it or trade it for near (or in this case better) than what you paid for it.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Fill this out and for 2 minutes of work you save $30 bucks.

TRU is the only way to go.

https://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/enroll.cfm[/QUOTE]

I would have went with this, but the closest toys R us is about a two hour drive for me. For those worried about game time and all that, the way I look at it is they're game reviewers. They play games all the time meaning they'll probably finish it faster than normal folks. Even if that's not the case I don't mind. It's going to be like watching a ten hour episode of Batman: The animated series. And that could never be bad in my eyes.

[quote name='Nebenator']
  • Toys R Us: $20 coupon, $30 off if you are a Rewards R Us member (join here)
[/QUOTE]

So if I buy it at Toys R Us and I'm a Rewards R Us member, I only have to pay thirty dollars for the game? That seems too good to be true. How could anyone make a profit? Do you mean I have to spend $60 on the game and then I'll get a $30 giftcard for Toys R Us to use later?

I think people are just getting too used to rpgs being long and that being such a staple last generation. The problem is, their length is bloated. Walking through a dungeon with a bunch of dead ends to get 1000 gold, only to fight a random battle every minute, for 20 hours of gameplay with nothing to break it up except a short cutscene/boss battle at the end of each one, does not mean their total play time is actually good. I mean I play tons of rpgs, but honestly I wish they could start cutting down on the length. It doesn't do anyone any good to have to grind for 10 hours extra just to play through the regular story if that grinding is nothing but mashing the "accept" button over and over.

At 6+ hours, people complain about heavenly sword. 10-12 hours, Batman gets the same. Bioshock took me more like 14~, is that too short too? I've heard the same being said about it. If length is a concern, rent it or buy it super cheap. Action games have never been long I don't know why people complain about it so much now.

I remember a NES game that I used to beat in around 45 minutes, I'd play it like once every week and go through the game because I found it fun.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']So if I buy it at Toys R Us and I'm a Rewards R Us member, I only have to pay thirty dollars for the game? That seems too good to be true. How could anyone make a profit? Do you mean I have to spend $60 on the game and then I'll get a $30 giftcard for Toys R Us to use later?[/QUOTE]

You have to spend 60. That's how pretty much every gift card option works at places. You can't use the gift card on the game, you get it with your purchase.

[quote name='Vortextk']I think people are just getting too used to rpgs being long and that being such a staple last generation. The problem is, their length is bloated. Walking through a dungeon with a bunch of dead ends to get 1000 gold, only to fight a random battle every minute, for 20 hours of gameplay with nothing to break it up except a short cutscene/boss battle at the end of each one, does not mean their total play time is actually good. I mean I play tons of rpgs, but honestly I wish they could start cutting down on the length. It doesn't do anyone any good to have to grind for 10 hours extra just to play through the regular story if that grinding is nothing but mashing the "accept" button over and over.

At 6+ hours, people complain about heavenly sword. 10-12 hours, Batman gets the same. Bioshock took me more like 14~, is that too short too? I've heard the same being said about it. If length is a concern, rent it or buy it super cheap. Action games have never been long I don't know why people complain about it so much now.

I remember a NES game that I used to beat in around 45 minutes, I'd play it like once every week and go through the game because I found it fun.[/QUOTE]

Why do I feel you described the horrors that is Eternal Sonata? The ending so bad I didn't even bother to go through the 2nd play through forfeiting like 600+ gamer points

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']So if I buy it at Toys R Us and I'm a Rewards R Us member, I only have to pay thirty dollars for the game? That seems too good to be true. How could anyone make a profit? Do you mean I have to spend $60 on the game and then I'll get a $30 giftcard for Toys R Us to use later?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I thought I made it clear that you receive a gift card, not $30 from the purchase

Exactly my point. I liked the game well enough, gorgeous and great music, though I haven't beaten it. But jesus, that's ALL. YOU. DO. Dungeon, which is always a maze, beat it, boss battle, characters talk/split up, next dungeon and repeat. After playing like 20 rpgs that do this, I just feel as if my time is wasting away and a good 10-15 hour game that is constantly involving is a very nice change of pace.

i just called toy r us in metairie La and they said the "hard release" is tuesday (no sooner) and that the $30 gift card will be from ten til two for rewards members.

Basing gameplay off the demo I'd say even 12 hours is enough for me, Im more concerned with the quality of the game and this game looks and the demo played fantastic, it has also received very good reviews. Add to that the joker levels for the ps3 version and Im sold on this game preordered the CE edition using a bunch of gamestop credit I had or I wouldve went the amazon route. Im actually looking forward to Tuesday to pick this up and my new Dissida psp bundle and its been awhile since Ive been really excited to go pick a new game up. I just might even pick Batman up at midnight Im looking forward to it that much.

[quote name='fadersdream']i just called toy r us in metairie La and they said the "hard release" is tuesday (no sooner) and that the $30 gift card will be from ten til two for rewards members.[/QUOTE]
Ok, thank you

I'm usually a sucker for special editions, but can't justify the price in this case. I am curious, though, to know what the extra DLC will entail. Does anyone know?
By the way, I am almost certain that the Gamestop "exclusive" Scarecrow maps will in fact be a code that one can enter at the options menu. I base that theory on this description from the Gamestop website:
"Online and Store Customers: Instructions to unlock the GameStop-Exclusive in-game “Dem Bones” Scarecrow Challenge Map will be packaged inside the game."

Whereas with their entry for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, the Juggernaut bonus is detailed like this:
"Code to unlock Juggernaut will be emailed to you when the game ships. Available for online and in-store customers while supplies last."

[quote name='PseudoFinrod']I'm usually a sucker for special editions, but can't justify the price in this case. I am curious, though, to know what the extra DLC will entail. Does anyone know?
By the way, I am almost certain that the Gamestop "exclusive" Scarecrow maps will in fact be a code that one can enter at the options menu. I base that theory on this description from the Gamestop website:
"Online and Store Customers: Instructions to unlock the GameStop-Exclusive in-game “Dem Bones” Scarecrow Challenge Map will be packaged inside the game."

Whereas with their entry for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, the Juggernaut bonus is detailed like this:
"Code to unlock Juggernaut will be emailed to you when the game ships. Available for online and in-store customers while supplies last."[/QUOTE]

Does that mean the only way to get it will be from Gamestop?
Will ToysRus have the collectors edition for sale?

[quote name='PseudoFinrod']I'm usually a sucker for special editions, but can't justify the price in this case. I am curious, though, to know what the extra DLC will entail. Does anyone know?

"Code to unlock Juggernaut will be emailed to you when the game ships. Available for online and in-store customers while supplies last."[/QUOTE]
Apparently it's just an extra level. And with the gamestop exclusive, you're probably right.

No, "Dem Bones" is not EXCLUSIVE to GameStop...its just that those who preorder at Gamestop get a code to download it free from PSN/XBL. It will be available, at a price, on the PSN/XBL for everyone.

The only exception is the Joker challenge maps, which are exclusive to the PS3 version.

[quote name='Nebenator']He was referring to the special edition, too.[/QUOTE]

Special Edition...is that the Collectors Edition? That's available pretty much everywhere, except Toys 'R Us, AFAIK. BB, Amazon, and GS all list the CE on their websites.

TRU may have it in-stores, but unlike those other stores, they specifically DO NOT list the CE on their website.

[quote name='abhinav']Does that mean the only way to get it will be from Gamestop?
Will ToysRus have the collectors edition for sale?[/QUOTE]
At first, I thought I should have clarified myself better. My own query had been in regards to the extra DLC that is advertised with the collector's edition. The "Gamestop Exclusive" map is a separate promotion, and one does not need the Collector's Edition to get it. (My theory is that it's a code that work no matter where you buy the game from.)
But I decided to check the Toys R Us website, and only found the regular editions of Arkham Asylum. It would appear that they are indeed not carrying the collector's edition.

^ Right, and again, you're also correct. The 'Dem Bones challenge room which GS is advertising will be available to everyone online, except you'll have to pay for it, whereas GS will give you a voucher code to get it for free.

[quote name='Double-J']^ Right, and again, you're also correct. The 'Dem Bones challenge room which GS is advertising will be available to everyone online, except you'll have to pay for it, whereas GS will give you a voucher code to get it for free.[/QUOTE]

So you don't think it will just be a code that one can enter in the options menu? They have had "exclusive bonuses" like that before with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Saints Row 2, Far Cry 2, and Red Faction 3. They may have had it with other games as well, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Just talked to 2 TRu in San Diego and they can confirm that it will be a gift card on the day the game comes out but cant confirm any amount

I just pre-ordered 360 version from Amazon and it came to $54ish with release-day delivery, which I thought was cool because I leave for school soon and didn't want to have the package ahead of me or behind me...it was only like $6 shipping.

OK for the toys r us $30 gift card do you have to take your reward card to the store and use it to purchase the game then they give you a $30 gift card?

Pic of the Gamecrazy t-shirt from gamecrazy.com

pre_batman.gif

[quote name='bizman316']OK for the toys r us $30 gift card do you have to take your reward card to the store and use it to purchase the game then they give you a $30 gift card?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Between 10AM-2PM on Tuesday, otherwise you'll receive a $20 giftcard the rest of the week.

[quote name='lawdood']Yes. Between 10AM-2PM on Tuesday, otherwise you'll receive a $20 giftcard the rest of the week.[/QUOTE]

Sweet thanks for the info. Be using that to get a wii motion plus!!!!

I have to wonder if that 10am-2pm thing is just because it's summer, or if that's just the 'time'. That's not an awesome window for a ton of people, as many (like myself) would have to run and grab it on lunch to save an extra $5.

If the Rewards program is stuff like this, it's actually really cool. I just hope they make it a bit easier to obtain the rewards for future titles.

[quote name='007']I have to wonder if that 10am-2pm thing is just because it's summer, or if that's just the 'time'. That's not an awesome window for a ton of people, as many (like myself) would have to run and grab it on lunch to save an extra $5.

If the Rewards program is stuff like this, it's actually really cool. I just hope they make it a bit easier to obtain the rewards for future titles.[/QUOTE]

Its an extra $10 not 5. Its 20 any other time and $30 if you get it between 10am-2pm.

Do you guys think the amazon 52.99 deal will stay up? Or is it best to order now with the code. Also what is the ECA you are all talking about? How can you get that code?

[quote name='KratosKilla']Do you guys think the amazon 52.99 deal will stay up? Or is it best to order now with the code. Also what is the ECA you are all talking about? How can you get that code?[/QUOTE]

If you're set on getting the game, order it, put in 5OFFARKM into your coupon code and be satisfied you're getting a great game. The price could very well go higher or jump back to regular retail when the game is out, I sure don't know. The second(or first depending) best option is getting the giftcard deal at toys r us, if you don't go with amazon.

As for the ECA:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230169

Be warned, right now the codes are NOT working, they ran out of them. I don't think anyone has seen anything to indicate they're gone for good(in fact they have a message in the members area stating there will be more soon), but even if you signed up right now you wouldn't get a working code at this very moment.

[quote name='Vortextk']If you're set on getting the game, order it, put in 5OFFARKM into your coupon code and be satisfied you're getting a great game. The price could very well go higher or jump back to regular retail when the game is out, I sure don't know. The second(or first depending) best option is getting the giftcard deal at toys r us, if you don't go with amazon.

As for the ECA:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230169

Be warned, right now the codes are NOT working, they ran out of them. I don't think anyone has seen anything to indicate they're gone for good(in fact they have a message in the members area stating there will be more soon), but even if you signed up right now you wouldn't get a working code at this very moment.[/QUOTE]
Do the ECA codes stack with the $5 off code?

ECA codes, to my knowledge, stack with absolutely everything on video games/accessories sold directly by amazon.

I bought a batman CE with my 50% off code from trading in games, eca and the 5$ off. I would've tried to get it into my quick picks, but I've failed to get any 360/ps3 game there except uncharted for many weeks now so I didn't bother.

Alright, here's what I'm wondering (I posted it in another one of the threads about AA but no one answered). I want to be able to take advantage of the TRU deal, but I also want to get the CE. Can I use the Best Buy price match policy to get the CE for less money thanks to the TRU deal even though TRU doesn't carry the CE?

I think you would just have to try it...I think best buy would honor the gift card deal? but you're wanting a different product(kind of..) than what toys r us is actually advertising.

Help ! :hot:

I ordered the 360 version using my $10 Amazon GC I got from Madden 10. Then I found out about the $5 off code (5OFFARKM). If I cancel my order will I lose my $10 GC? I want to get the additional $5 off.

Either take the plunge and try canceling and re-ordering(it's always saved my coupon codes, and amazon credit is put back onto my balance) or if you're unsure call them and try to get the code applied. Since it's not anything funky, an eca code or games trade in coupon, it should be easy enough for them to do and understand what it is.

[quote name='Vortextk']Either take the plunge and try canceling and re-ordering(it's always saved my coupon codes, and amazon credit is put back onto my balance) or if you're unsure call them and try to get the code applied. Since it's not anything funky, an eca code or games trade in coupon, it should be easy enough for them to do and understand what it is.[/QUOTE]

Thanks i'll give it a try. If I have any problems i'll email them. :)

edit: I cancelled my order. I reordered the game and it automatically applied the $5 off coupon plus my $10 Amazon GC for a grand total of $37.99 with release day shipping. Gotta love Amazon ! :applause:

[quote name='Rodster']Thanks i'll give it a try. If I have any problems i'll email them. :)

edit: I cancelled my order. I reordered the game and it automatically applied the $5 off coupon plus my $10 Amazon GC for a grand total of $37.99 with release day shipping. Gotta love Amazon ! :applause:[/QUOTE]

I feel kind of bad we're all getting the game so cheap. I don't have ECA because I mostly buy used and it would end up being a waste, but still, only spent about 52 bucks with release day shipping. Hopefully they get the sales they deserve.

bread's done
Back