Batman: Arkham Asylum pre-order bonuses comparison and guide

Nebenator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Having trouble choosing which version and store to get Batman: Arkham Asylum? Use this thread for refference!

Stores:

• Amazon: $12 cheaper with 5OFFARKM code and Amazons lower price, bonus Comic Book

• Best Buy: $10 gift card, Batman DVD Pack

• Buynextgen.com: $43.95

• Gamestop: Bonus Scarecrow map (25% off any pre-owned games with pre-order, and additional Edge Card Discount is available, too)

• Gamecrazy: Joker T-Shirt

• Toys R Us: $20 gift card, $30 gift card if you are a Rewards R Us member (join here)

• Walmart: In-game armor (already unlockable if you complete the game)
Versions:

• Xbox 360: No bonuses

• PS3: Bonus Joker round

• Collectors Edition (for Xbox 360 and PS3): Previous bonuses + 14" In-Game Design Batarang, 50 page full color character encyclopedia, behind the scenes 5 chapter series DVD, Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC
Conclusion:

• For stores it depends on if you prefer a comic and discount, a bonus map, or an even higher discount but no bonuses

• For versions it depends obviously on your controller and gamerscore/trophy preferences, and the extra round

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend ordered his Batman on Amazon after I did and he jut got a message about his having been shipped (from Indiana) and nothing for me. Oh well, here's hoping they courier mine!

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Yes, GS has different packaging than every other retailer selling this game.[/QUOTE]

Its probably the free level thats on the cover.

Well, since it matters to you guys, I volunteer to take the hit and get mine one day late for every day earlier every one of you needs :D

If UPS offers that service :)

[quote name='Purkeynator']Its probably the free level thats on the cover.[/QUOTE]

It is, but it's not a sticker, it's printed directly on the cover.

So if you can have a GS employee not pay any attention to this detail when you attempt to return it, than you won't succeed in exchanging it.

[quote name='sfvenn']Try pointing them here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1118843518460&id=cat12098

It's their pricematch policy FAQ which specifically states:

*edit* sorry, wrong FAQ answer...

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

It would seem to go against their store policy to not give you the discounted price or a gift card. Helps to have an ad in hand, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm going into Best Buy prepared tomorrow. I'll have their little PM policy printed out along with TRU's ad. If they still somehow find some loophole to shut me down, I guess I'll just drive across the street to TRU.

[quote name='SEH']I'm going into Best Buy prepared tomorrow. I'll have their little PM policy printed out along with TRU's ad. If they still somehow find some loophole to shut me down, I guess I'll just drive across the street to TRU.[/QUOTE]

Good luck, I see by your location you go to the same one I do. Please post how it works out for you. I think it was a TRU deal I tried to pricematch and got shot down this summer because I didn't have a copy of the policy with and their employees are clueless. I told them fine I'll go across the street and walked out. You'd think they'd have caved to avoid losing the sale, especially since a gift card guarantees a return visit. I saw them give an older couple the collector's edition of CoD:WAW for PC on release day for the standard price to avoid losing a sale because the man was upset the standard didn't arrive when the ad said they would. He put up a fuss because waiting another day would cost him some advantage in his clan, so they cut him a deal before he walked out.

Printed on the front of my gamestop PS3 copy is "Exclusive Play as the Joker Challenge Maps... internet connection" directly on the case insert itself.
On the back is a sticker that says "Gamestop...Exclusive Dem Bones Scarecrow Challenge Map...internet connection".

I hope I can return my amazon version to the gamestop, I'd rather pay $42 than $63. If nothing else, there is a 30 day return policy so I can wait a bit longer than immediately returning it.
Also, I am presuming the Dem Bones code is inside the packaging itself? I guess I'll have to open it to find out. Though I can see the little white card inside it over the manual.

My Amazon status still says it hasn't shipped. I guess I may have to head to TRU tomorrow then if I don't get a shipping notification tonight.

[quote name='ericdrum']My Amazon status still says it hasn't shipped. I guess I may have to head to TRU tomorrow then if I don't get a shipping notification tonight.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Mine's been "shipping soon" all day. I often get 1-day overnight even if shipped ground because it's going from IN to IL. Hopefully that's what's happening.

Got my copy and also the manager was there this time and gave me my Dissidia psp bundle too, also the dem bones map code comes with a batman sticker on it lol.

I guess im out of luck on getting the game tomorrow (no shipping confirmation, only 'shipping soon'). Well at least I would get a refund on shipping and I read earlier that a CAG managed to get a $20.00 gift card on a previous missed release day delivery.

"In the event of a missed delivery, we will refund the shipping charge. Note: this does not apply if delivery is attempted, but no one is available to accept the package. "
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200180350

[quote name='Musashi']Good luck, I see by your location you go to the same one I do. Please post how it works out for you. I think it was a TRU deal I tried to pricematch and got shot down this summer because I didn't have a copy of the policy with and their employees are clueless. I told them fine I'll go across the street and walked out. You'd think they'd have caved to avoid losing the sale, especially since a gift card guarantees a return visit. I saw them give an older couple the collector's edition of CoD:WAW for PC on release day for the standard price to avoid losing a sale because the man was upset the standard didn't arrive when the ad said they would. He put up a fuss because waiting another day would cost him some advantage in his clan, so they cut him a deal before he walked out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the employees at our BB are pretty terrible. They are usually assholes any time I try to price match anything, so I'm not holding my breath.

Just got my regular edition for PS3. It's the same cover and the "Dem Bomes GS Exclusive" is just a sticker.

The TRU deal was posted on Slickdeals... I hope those of you wanting the the $20/$30 giftcard get there early. I'm not sure if there's a limit one per customer but SDers will dry up this deal ASAP.

[quote name='Vinny']The TRU deal was posted on Slickdeals... I hope those of you wanting the the $20/$30 giftcard get there early. I'm not sure if there's a limit one per customer but SDers will dry up this deal ASAP.[/QUOTE]

the ad does state one per customer, but it's really up to the person behind the register.

when i went to my local TRU to pick up Resident Evil 5 when they were offering a $20 card, the guy behind the register told me that someone came in and bought 6 copies and got 6 GCs.

[quote name='gryphter']if you can use the card online, why not preorder one of those games with it? or how about getting xbox points with it?[/QUOTE]

i don't preorder games cause i wait to see where the best deal is first.

also my local TRUs never seem to have the 1600 point card in stock.

[quote name='JokerCard']You can use the giftcard that expires to buy an actual giftcard.

All the promotional giftcards that I have gotten have not mentioned that you cannot buy another giftcard with it.....[/QUOTE]

yeah i've done this before and totally forgot about this option.

I read about the TRU deal yesterday. Picked up a PS3 copy with the $30 gift card around 10:15am. Thanks!

Just got back from TRU, got my $30 gift card, woot! The gift card is just a regular TRU one, nothing special about it, there's no wait on the activation or anything like the Ghostbusters one had. It says that you can use it online, too

[quote name='gryphter']Just got back from TRU, got my $30 gift card, woot! The gift card is just a regular TRU one, nothing special about it, there's no wait on the activation or anything like the Ghostbusters one had. It says that you can use it online, too[/QUOTE]

That would be YMMV. Mine gave out special Arkham Asylum cards that say on the front it expires 10/31 and is active after six hours.

Anyways, my TRU had like six people there to get the game. They had probably 10 copies for Xbox. I didn't see how many they had for PS3, although three of the people there got it for that system.

EDIT

Oh, and to the other guy here in Racine, I didn't stop at Best Buy. I got about half way out there and realized I forgot to print up their PM policy, so I just figured I'd avoid the hassle all together.

Yeah, just stopped at one Best Buy and called another in my area. Neither would even entertain the idea of price matching the gift card. Even though their policy says they will subtract the gift card amount from the final purchase total. But whatever, I got the $30 card from TRU. I'm happy.

[quote name='gryphter']Just got back from TRU, got my $30 gift card, woot! The gift card is just a regular TRU one, nothing special about it, there's no wait on the activation or anything like the Ghostbusters one had. It says that you can use it online, too[/QUOTE]

Mine has the batman logo on it.

i picked up the CE last night from gamestop. the thing is HUGE. i'm trying to figure out if i want to keep it now, or bring it back and get a ps3. odd choices, i know lol.

[quote name='bigredvan14']Yeah, just stopped at one Best Buy and called another in my area. Neither would even entertain the idea of price matching the gift card. Even though their policy says they will subtract the gift card amount from the final purchase total. But whatever, I got the $30 card from TRU. I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

If you go to a Best Buy and they don't give you this deal, you should report them to the BBB. Its specifically worded in their policy that if there is a GC on the PM, they'll subtract the amount of the GC, or give you one. Its their own policy and they fail to stick to it.

God I hate Best Buy.

Just picked up the PS3 version of the game and $30 gift card from my local TRU. Great deal. Glad I joined CAG. Best gaming decision I have made in years....................financially speaking.

[quote name='Big_Baybee']Just picked up the PS3 version of the game and $30 gift card from my local TRU. Great deal. Glad I joined CAG. Best gaming decision I have made in years....................financially speaking.[/QUOTE]

Oh you say that now, but you'll soon find yourself spending even MORE on games because of all of the great deals. Damn you Cheapy!

Back on topic, has anyone gotten BB to pricematch the $30 gift card deal? Should I just call my local store first and save myself a trip if they aren't going to honor it?

don't know if this was posted, but apparently if you order online with toys r us...on top of getting free shipping...

FREE LEGO Batman for XB360 or PS3 when you buy Batman: Arkham Asylum for XB360 or PS3!

just have to add it to the cart and it should be free according to what i read on their product page.

[quote name='SEH']If you go to a Best Buy and they don't give you this deal, you should report them to the BBB. Its specifically worded in their policy that if there is a GC on the PM, they'll subtract the amount of the GC, or give you one. Its their own policy and they fail to stick to it.

God I hate Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I kinda regret not printing out the policy before I visited the first Best Buy. When I called the other one after getting home, I said I was staring at the GC policy on my computer as we speak. The woman I was speaking with said that it deals only when PMing with a GC that Best Buy offers, not competitors.... which makes no sense at all... I just kinda said, "Ok, uh, thanks," and they hung up. Good times.

I think I will try the BBB. It can't hurt at all.

I got the B:AA gift card, no biggie, I'm just going to hold onto it for NHL10 (SPORTS GAME ZOMG!).

NOW I'm sitting at work and have to think about the game sitting at home all lonely and unplayed.

Did anyone else receive their shipment from amazon? I just got mine and there was no comic to be found. Do they send this on a seperate shipping?

I got my Amazon shipment this morning (360 version) but I E74'd very early this morning :lol:, so I went to TRU and bought the PS3 version w/ the GC and shipped the 360 version back to Amazon.

[quote name='KratosKilla']Did anyone else receive their shipment from amazon? I just got mine and there was no comic to be found. Do they send this on a seperate shipping?[/QUOTE]

Is it not inside? I shipped mine back because I bought the PS3 version at a store this morning and had gotten the 360 version from Amazon, but I e74'd at 5am today lol. I didnt get a comic outside of the game, but I didnt open the game either.

[quote name='BigHow']Can anyone with the Gamestop exclusive version put up the UPC code? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think the code is specific to each game, so I don't suspect someone stupid enough to put it up.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Is it not inside? I shipped mine back because I bought the PS3 version at a store this morning and had gotten the 360 version from Amazon, but I e74'd at 5am today lol. I didnt get a comic outside of the game, but I didnt open the game either.[/QUOTE]

I just received my CE from Amazon and as I suspected, the comic book is the size of the standard manual (if not a bit shorter in height). It was located on top of the game discs, so it should be packaged in-side.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I just received my CE from Amazon and as I suspected, the comic book is the size of the standard manual (if not a bit shorter in height). It was located on top of the game discs, so it should be packaged in-side.[/QUOTE]

Well that's kind of disappointing. I was hoping for an actual comic book sized comic. Even if it is just 16 pages. Oh well, free is free.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I think the code is specific to each game, so I don't suspect someone stupid enough to put it up.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it most definitely is. Apparently its on a sticker and its a unique code. I just asked my buddy who picked it up last night about it on AIM.

Oh well. Gonna jam on the Joker ones though. I shoulda ordered the PS3 version in the first place. Stupid 360 E74 fucking die.

[quote name='SEH']That would be YMMV. Mine gave out special Arkham Asylum cards that say on the front it expires 10/31 and is active after six hours.

Anyways, my TRU had like six people there to get the game. They had probably 10 copies for Xbox. I didn't see how many they had for PS3, although three of the people there got it for that system.

EDIT

Oh, and to the other guy here in Racine, I didn't stop at Best Buy. I got about half way out there and realized I forgot to print up their PM policy, so I just figured I'd avoid the hassle all together.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. I printed it out and had it in the car, but didn't feel like a fight this morning, so just did the TRU deal. I didn't get there until about 20 minutes after they opened, but I'd say they probably had about 10 copies at least for PS3 before the guy in front of me and I each took one, 1 left of the PS3 collector's and 3 of the collector's for the 360. Nice to hear how many were waiting, I didn't get moving early enough and was curious if there was a line or if all the anxious people did the midnight launch at GS.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I think the code is specific to each game, so I don't suspect someone stupid enough to put it up.[/QUOTE]

He asked for the UPC code to see if they have a different UPC than other stores most likely, not the code for the map.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC'] Originally Posted by BigHow View Post
Can anyone with the Gamestop exclusive version put up the UPC code?

Thanks!
I think the code is specific to each game, so I don't suspect someone stupid enough to put it up.[/QUOTE]

He said UPC, which stand for Universal Product Code which is the 12 digits on the back of the case they scan. that should be the same for all the games at gamestop but may be different from the BB, TRU, Walmart, target etc versions.

Picked it up for the :ps3: from TRU this morning., plus used a $5 off any purchase coupon too I had received in the mail from Rewards R Us.

i just got back from BB and they def hook me up. I got the batman AA game, the free dvd, a $10 gift card and a $30 gift card for price matching tru.

This wasn't easy because the wireless network was down so i couldn't print out the ad also tru was being gay for not giving me a copy of there ads.

My Best Buy matched the gift card (got a 30 GC instead of 10), after 10-15 minutes of some umming and ahhhing, after I told them about their own price matching policy, and showed them the receipt from Toys R Us from earlier.

Then I forgot to grab it as I left, I found that funny as I almost drove away without it.

[quote name='KratosKilla']Did anyone else receive their shipment from amazon? I just got mine and there was no comic to be found. Do they send this on a seperate shipping?[/QUOTE]

If you got the regular edition the comic should be behind the instruction manual.

[quote name='BigHow']Can anyone with the Gamestop exclusive version put up the UPC code? Thanks![/QUOTE]

edit: forgot to mention these are the UPCs for PS3 standard versions

The UPCs are different unfortunately. :(

GS - above barcode: 1000109782 below: 7 88687 50098 2
TRU copy - above barcode: 1000094911 below: 7 88687 50087 6

Now I'm curious if other stores got unique UPCs also.

BTW who is that in your avatar pic? The face looks familiar, but I can't place it.

bread's done
Back