Batman: The Dark Knight - Movie Thread - $158.3 Million First Weekend

[quote name='BlueLobstah']The mugshots are priceless.
capt.a3b842e7294844579da5f34ac136dad0.joker_arrested_dt101.jpg
[/quote]Why so serious?

Im so angry now. Went all the way to the iMax with my dad to see it again since he's not seen it and before the movie even stared the sound machine or whatever went down. Oh well, least it happened before it even started rather than right in the middle of it. Not sure when we'll get a chance to go back. If it happens again when we come back to use our rain checks tickets, we're raising hell until we get double tickets. All that popcorn and Mr. Pibb wasted.

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']Im so angry now. Went all the way to the iMax with my dad to see it again since he's not seen it and before the movie even stared the sound machine or whatever went down. Oh well, least it happened before it even started rather than right in the middle of it. Not sure when we'll get a chance to go back. If it happens again when we come back to use our rain checks tickets, we're raising hell until we get double tickets. All that popcorn and Mr. Pibb wasted.[/quote]

Calm down dude.

Your lucky to even get to see it in IMAX. Every time I try to get tickets for an IMAX showing, IT'S SOLD OUT!

Oh well. I will give it another viewing in a week or so.

[quote name='Koggit']I just back from seeing it for the second time at Cinerama.

Dent drinking the gas still made no sense
[/quote]

What? He...wasn't. Look upthread.

I don't understand why people think
Dent was taking in the gas... if you were tied up and fell on the floor, it's hard to get around, especially with liquid pouring down your face.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I don't understand why people think
Dent was taking in the gas... if you were tied up and fell on the floor, it's hard to get around, especially with liquid pouring down your face.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know why either.

I saw the movie again and I still don't understand
why Dent was snifffing all those gas up. He should try drinking it instead because it would go down much more smoother. Whats the logic behind sniffing instead of sipping? What an idiot...

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']Im so angry now. Went all the way to the iMax with my dad to see it again since he's not seen it and before the movie even stared the sound machine or whatever went down. Oh well, least it happened before it even started rather than right in the middle of it. Not sure when we'll get a chance to go back. If it happens again when we come back to use our rain checks tickets, we're raising hell until we get double tickets. All that popcorn and Mr. Pibb wasted.[/QUOTE]

Just be glad you have one that you can go to. I live in the St. Louis MO area and we don't even have one to go and see this at.

just saw it last night, and I thought it was very damn good...it sucks that ledger died (both because he would've made it a great sequel, and of course anybody dieing is sad). all-around great movie and great acting. i don't usually like super hero comic book stuff, but in the past year or so, i have been impressed by Transformers, Iron Man, and now Dark Knight (batman)

LOL @ the spoof. "what's your major?" haha

I saw TDK today in IMAX and it was amazing. I knew Heath's acting was suppose to be excellent but I was blown away by The Joker. I didn't expect something like that from Heath. Its a shame he died and can't play the role anymore. I can't wait to see what they do with the next Batman movie.

But I have a question
Was the prisoner that threw the detonator off the ferry suppose to be Bane? I thought it was because of the mark on his neck.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']

But I have a question
Was the prisoner that threw the detonator off the ferry suppose to be Bane? I thought it was because of the mark on his neck.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I think he was just supposed to be some scary looking convict the audience is meant to assume will kill everyone.

I finally saw it and it was okay. I thought Ledger was very creepy and was very impressed. I also really liked the performances of Harvey Dent and Commissioner Gordon as well. However, I did not dig Batman's costume or Bale's crappy gritty voice when dressed as Batman.

[quote name='Foo228']good stuff

You either die a hero or you live long enough to be in the sequel :rofl:
[/quote]

I hope that quote from the video wasn't a low blow at Heath Ledger. :cry:

[quote name='Lice']Looks like tonight Friday August 3rd. The Dark Knight was De-Throned by the Mummy.

The Mummy 3$15,322,000
2.The Dark Knight$12,600,000

It can still win the weekend but it has to change big time on Saturday.[/quote]

You have nothing to worry about. If Mummy 3 can hold out with strong numbers during the second weekend, then worry, but I doubt it top TDK anytime soon.

[quote name='Layziebones']I hope that quote from the video wasn't a low blow at Heath Ledger. :cry:[/quote]

:censored: Nope, no intention of that. I swear.

The other day I heard someone say "This is my son's friend!" sorta like tony montana would've said. Well, I lol'd at that too ;)

Went and saw the movie yesterday because a bunch of guys I was hanging out with wanted to see it. Must say I liked the last movie more. Ledger's acting for the joker was amazing and I loved that they made him such a psychopath....but outside that the movie was pretty eh. They tried to do far too much plotwise and while I was able to follow it it just felt like too much, when I left the theater I heard 2 girls talking about how they LOVED the movie even though they had no clue what was going on half the time. Besides that though the action scenes were a little too spread out(would have helped if the movie wasn't so damn long)and when there was action they went with the whole crap new style of action where shit happens so fast its hard to even tell wtf just happened. Half the time it just looks like batman is whirling around and people are dropping because its happening so fast. Thats part of why I loved the spider man movies and X Men movies, the action scenes were great by being creative, not fast.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Besides that though the action scenes were a little too spread out(would have helped if the movie wasn't so damn long)and when there was action they went with the whole crap new style of action where shit happens so fast its hard to even tell wtf just happened. Half the time it just looks like batman is whirling around and people are dropping because its happening so fast. Thats part of why I loved the spider man movies and X Men movies, the action scenes were great by being creative, not fast.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with your opinions on the action scenes. I like the fact that the action scenes were spread out. I would rather have several smaller action scenes spread out than one big scene. Sometimes the major action scene happens then bam end of the movie.

Of course the action scenes in Spiderman and X-men movies are more creative because those superheroes have super powers so the scenes can get more creative. Batman on the other hand doesn't have any powers and has to rely on his wits and speed.

And I don't know why people are complaining about the length of the movie. 2 and a half hours isn't so bad. With the cost of movies and gas to get to the theater I want it to be worth my time. I felt the movie used the time well and it never had a slow part.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I'm going to have to disagree with your opinions on the action scenes. I like the fact that the action scenes were spread out. I would rather have several smaller action scenes spread out than one big scene. Sometimes the major action scene happens then bam end of the movie.

Of course the action scenes in Spiderman and X-men movies are more creative because those superheroes have super powers so the scenes can get more creative. Batman on the other hand doesn't have any powers and has to rely on his wits and speed.

And I don't know why people are complaining about the length of the movie. 2 and a half hours isn't so bad. With the cost of movies and gas to get to the theater I want it to be worth my time. I felt the movie used the time well and it never had a slow part.[/QUOTE]

I didnt say that I wanted 1 big scene. Im glad they were spread out, I just would have liked more of them. And if you felt 2 and a half hours was fine thats cool. But personally I thought it dragged in many parts, again they tried to do waaaaaay too much and it came across that way. It wasnt bad, it all did come together, but it was just too much.

[quote name='Layziebones']I hope that quote from the video wasn't a low blow at Heath Ledger. :cry:[/quote]

It isn't. They clearly state that is isn't in the youtube summarization.

[quote name='evanft']This.[/QUOTE]

I think its more that most movies dont do enough to justify being that long. I have liked some long movies(everything is illuminated is amazing and I think its like 3 and a half hours long), but most just do not do enough plot wise or action wise to be worthy of being that long. If the problem was simply that people dont have an attention span we wouldnt be able to play a 8 hours of video games or more in a day nor finish these 20-100 hour games like many of us do.

I think if anything the problem is the opposite. Some people are ammused far too easily or by very different things.

[quote name='sendme']Just be glad you have one that you can go to. I live in the St. Louis MO area and we don't even have one to go and see this at.[/quote]Uh, yes you do.

Ronnie's 20 in South County on Lindbergh.

http://www.wehrenberg.com/theaterDetail.asp?theatre=24

Saw it yesterday in IMAX and was worth every penny.

If you'd want a huge screen and not an IMAX screen, there's the Galaxy 14 in Chesterfield with its Mega Screen in digital projection:

http://www.wehrenberg.com/theaterDetail.asp?theatre=145

WOW would have helped a few pages back. I had asked if we did and someone said the stl area did not. if it is not to far from granite city il i will have to check it out.

1. "The Dark Knight," $43.8 million.
2. "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," $42.5 million.
3. "Step Brothers," $16.3 million.
4. "Mamma Mia!" $13.1 million.
5. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $6.9 million.
6. "Swing Vote," $6.3 million.
7. "Hancock," $8.2 million.
8. "Wall-E," $6.3 million.
9. "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," $10.2 million.
10. "Space Chimps," $2.8 million.

"The Dark Knight" has soared to a $394.9 million haul in just 17 days, according to studio estimates Sunday. The Warner Bros. release should sail past the $400 million mark by Monday or Tuesday, said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner.
That would be on the film's 18th or 19th day of release, another record for "The Dark Knight," which had an all-time high opening weekend of $158.4 million. The previous $400 million record-holder was "Shrek 2," which hit that mark in 43 days.

I didn't know there was an IMAX here. It didn't show up when I searched for it. And I'm glad this beat the Mummy 3

[quote name='Halo05']Poor X-Files. I knew they should've left that franchise buried.[/QUOTE]

Or, just not made a crappy movie when they decided to bring it back.

yeah, i went to see the dark knight for the second time in IMAX last night and was surprised that both evening shows were sold out. I'll probably go during the week next time...

yea, i haven't seen the other batman flick and have only seen the cartoons a few times when i was a kid, but when i first heard batman speak i was like, "wtf, is he gonna talk like that the whole movie????"

[quote name='Halo05']Poor X-Files. I knew they should've left that franchise buried.[/QUOTE]

While its results have been far from good, it isn't like this movie was some big budget epic that the studio is losing $100 million on. The movie will end up being profitable after overseas sales and home video so in the end the venture will basically be a wash.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']eh...seems to shumacher-ish. Nice try, though.[/QUOTE]

True

But it's not like there's any designs for a Nolan Riddler even though up yet

I never liked the Riddler character. He gives out his entire plan in those damn Riddles. I can't see how Nolan can adapt the character to work for his version of Batman. Batman will have enough enemies now that the mob and the police are on his ass.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']I think they should just not make another movie.

Unless they do the death of batman or one where he comes out of retirement.[/QUOTE]

With TDK having the possibility of becoming the number 1 movie of all time there will absolutely be another Batman movie.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I never liked the Riddler character. He gives out his entire plan in those damn Riddles. I can't see how Nolan can adapt the character to work for his version of Batman. Batman will have enough enemies now that the mob and the police are on his ass.[/quote]

Lots of real life criminals code and give out there entire plan, its because they are narcissistic.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']With TDK having the possibility of becoming the number 1 movie of all time there will absolutely be another Batman movie.[/quote]

Of course there will be another one. I just think there SHOULDN't be another one. There's no way it would be able to top this one.

http://joblo.com/scripts/The_Dark_Knight.pdf

Hate to bring an old topic back up but the script is now out and I'm sure some would like to check it out.

Also on page 107 it has the lines that say who Batman told Gordon who he was going after. From what it says he didn't say "Rachel". He said "Dent knew the risks." however I really don't think that is what he said. So this might be an old script. However page 112 says that the Joker lied so batman was tricked.

[quote name='sendme']http://joblo.com/scripts/The_Dark_Knight.pdf

Hate to bring an old topic back up but the script is now out and I'm sure some would like to check it out.

Also on page 107 it has the lines that say who Batman told Gordon who he was going after. From what it says he didn't say "Rachel". He said "Dent knew the risks." however I really don't think that is what he said. So this might be an old script. However page 112 says that the Joker lied so batman was tricked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I found this quite interesting (page 95)

"Batman's cape sucks together, forming a tight pack on his shoulders, clear of the churning rear tire of the bat pod"

Was it just me or was Batman's cape flowing down during that scene. Its pretty minor, but I remember thinking Batman's cape looked like it was about to get caught on the rear tire and I saw some message board users commenting on the same thing.

Also (page 107), when Gordon asks Batman which he is going after, he says:

"Dent knew the risks"

But yeah, if there still are any debates about the Joker lying, this should clear it up (page 112)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back