Battalion Wars 2 (BWii) - Online Co-op/Versus (FCs in OP) - NP: 7.5; IGN: 8; GS: 7.5

[quote name='wjhard63']I agree it's unfortunate and did make me re-think my pre-order, but I wonder if the first BW was scored under the old NP, which gave all first parties nothing under 8.5 (which was the score of the original).

I really enjoyed the first one, with some detractions, and I imagine the second one is just more of the same, so I'm hoping this is the new, more honest NP (which I think would've scored the original 7.5).

I'm still planning to pick this up on day 1 and hope there are a few other CAG's that pick up too so I can try out the wi-fi (most of my friends with Wii's only pick up the AAA titles, so there's no hope playing with them online).

Speaking of playing with friends, was there ever a statement by Nintendo stating if co-op play would be available for a single Wii (a-la split screen)?[/quote]

Lie to them and tell them that it's Triple A.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Lie to them and tell them that it's Triple A.[/QUOTE]

Ha-ha - there's no way they'll go for it. I've tried many times to sell them on Pikmin, the Paper Mario series, and even Metroid (they only think Mario and Zelda are AAA) so there's no way it's going to happen for BWii.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it and if I'm the only one listing my friend code on this thread (maybe Hack will too), then so be it.

It's going to be a busy 3 weeks for the Wii for me - BWii, FE: RD, and SMG. It's going to be a good November.

[quote name='wjhard63']Ha-ha - there's no way they'll go for it. I've tried many times to sell them on Pikmin, the Paper Mario series, and even Metroid (they only think Mario and Zelda are AAA) so there's no way it's going to happen for BWii.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it and if I'm the only one listing my friend code on this thread (maybe Hack will too), then so be it.

It's going to be a busy 3 weeks for the Wii for me - BWii, FE: RD, and SMG. It's going to be a good November.[/quote]Don't worry, unless reviews come back saying they screwed up a lot of stuff that was fine in the first game, me and my friend will be on this game Day 1.

If its the same game only with online itll still be the shit... well I dont want to see the same levels or story, but you get the idea.

I dont play any system online, wii would be my first (and only) but I want some friends to play this online with :(

According to Nintendo Power, the game suffers from some of the same issues in the original (erratic difficulty, limiting camera - primarily the lack of the ability to look up), with the only new con being some so-so tilt controls to change plan elevation.

But that's balanced by great pointer use, better graphics than the original, and online modes.

those negatives don't seem that bad unless not being able to look up hurts in trying to attack air targets.

Unless those negatives cause a lot of gameplay issues, I don't see why they would drop the score so much.

[quote name='Swingman']those negatives don't seem that bad unless not being able to look up hurts in trying to attack air targets.

Unless those negatives cause a lot of gameplay issues, I don't see why they would drop the score so much.[/quote]Not being able to look up was a problem in the first as it's very difficulty to attack air targets from the ground.

[quote name='botticus']Not being able to look up was a problem in the first as it's very difficulty to attack air targets from the ground.[/quote]

I picked up the first Battalion Wars the other day and the camera is definitely the biggest problem so far. I've only gone through the first 5 or 6 missions so far so I haven't seen any difficulty spikes yet, but the camera can be a bear in certain situations.

I'll probably pick up BWii when it gets a decent price drop.

I'm hesitant on this one now too. Now that I'm getting (if I can find it) Zak and Wiki, I may hold off on BW2. I have it preordered at EB from that deal in the summer, but I can bump that over to something else. It is simply becoming a victim to the game overload this Fall/Winter. Had it come out in July I'd have gotten it for sure.

[quote name='lebowsky']Stephen Totilo was sent BWii today from Nintendo and posted some impressions on NeoGAF. He also did a write-up on it in his blog:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/25/exclusive-nintendo-gives-us-battalion-wars-2-first-impressions-of-finished-game/

It's disappointing to hear that there is no local co-op and that online co-op play is relegated to just a few missions.[/quote]I can't find anything official, but it seems everyone's expecting 15-18 co-op missions, so we'll see about that.

4 wouldn't even be worth having the mode.

[quote name='botticus']I can't find anything official, but it seems everyone's expecting 15-18 co-op missions, so we'll see about that.

4 wouldn't even be worth having the mode.[/quote]

It could be that completing the co-op missions opens new missions after that. Maybe the first 4 missions are just the start of the campaign? Once more reviewers get the game (which should be tomorrow), then maybe he will provide more updates.

I'm disappointed there is no local co-op at all.

[quote name='lebowsky']It could be that completing the co-op missions opens new missions after that. Maybe the first 4 missions are just the start of the campaign? Once more reviewers get the game (which should be tomorrow), then maybe he will provide more updates.

I'm disappointed there is no local co-op at all.[/quote]It'd be a nice feature, but no one local would play co-op with me, so online is all I'm worried about. I can imagine split-screen for BW would be pretty insane though. There tends to be too much stuff even for one screen.

[quote name='botticus']It'd be a nice feature, but no one local would play co-op with me, so online is all I'm worried about. I can imagine split-screen for BW would be pretty insane though. There tends to be too much stuff even for one screen.[/quote]

Yeah, after thinking about it, splitscreen would probably be a clusterfuck and I don't see any other way they could do it.

Thanks for posting the "cliff notes" on the NP review, Botticus. I'm still very interested in this game, as it sounds like more of the same from the first one, so this is a day one purchase for me still.

The only thing that makes me somewhat nervous is the mention of 'tilt'. I'm perfectly fine with just using the pointer from the wii remote as the aiming reticule, but more than that from the wii remote to 'wii-i-fy' the controls might be over-doing it for this game, since so much is already going on.

I've seen some of the multiplayer trailers from gamevideos and it looks interesting - I just hope that play stays mostly lag free (I don't have too many issues with Strikers so I'm optimistic about this one). Also, with online scoring, I hope Nintendo keeps up the practice of the automatic loss for disconnectors that it has for MSC. The DS wi-fi scoring widely varies on this rule and makes it frustrating for disconnectors who are not penalized for their actions (a la MKDS). I can't wait to use the Iron Legion to crush my wi-fi opponents!

Wow, so this game comes out tomorrow and this thread has fallen off the first page of the Wii forum, how sad.

I'm also quite surprised there are no more reviews up on Metacritic besides the NP one.

I got my call from Aeris tonight - now I need to decide if I want to go through with picking it up. I'm leaning towards not, with Simpsons, Fire Emblem, and Mario Galaxy all coming up. And Zak & Wiki sitting here unplayed... And same with Bioshock.

I'll definitely want this sooner or later, but I may just hold off at first and wait for a price drop. If it is anything like the first one I'll be able to get it for $10 soon enough. I know that's unusual for Nintendo first party titles but it happened with this game before. The lack of pre-release hype and reviews has me suspicious though (that the NP review is on target). I'd love to play online with you Botticus (and whoever else on CAG that might get it), but maybe it can wait till Spring or so? Or maybe I can use one of those free Blockbuster rentals I have - that is probably a better idea. That will actually force me to play it as opposed to leaving it sit sealed which is what it will probably do if I actually pick up my preorder. Actually, that sounds like a good plan, unless further reviews are even worse.

ign has some new videos up (well new as of oct 26th). Wish we could get some reviews for it.

I preordered it and already have money down at EBgames. Hopefully it's good. Anyone know if they'd let me switch my money to GH3 if BW2 turns out a dud?

[quote name='TheBigBoi']YOU sir, have broken my heart by writing that number.[/quote]

Nintendo Pwer gave a Nintendo game less than a 9!

[quote name='Swingman']
I preordered it and already have money down at EBgames. Hopefully it's good. Anyone know if they'd let me switch my money to GH3 if BW2 turns out a dud?[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be a problem - I do that all the time. Though you are talking switching it to a game that is already out. It would be easier to switch it to another preorder (that way it doesn't hurt their numbers). But it is your money so you can do whatever you want ;).

I already bought Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl from liongames, which are the main no brainers.. I was thinking BW2 would be a no brainer but having some doubts now. I usually like to wait for reviews before preordering but I can probably figure out another upcoming game if BW2 gets more bad reviews.

I need to go cancel my GS preorder (currently counting on Blockbuster to receive a copy by Friday so I can use my credit there). Shame there aren't any reviews, but Stephen Totillo from MTV played it last week and has very positive impressions on GAF. It's about a dozen hours long, very fun game with similar issues from the first game, plus the addition of multiplayer. Multiplayer maps are unlocked as you go through campaign mode.

Pretty much just getting it on release to play co-op with my friend.

"Tricked into believing that the Solar Empire is developing a devastating super-weapon, Commander Pierce and Colonel Windsor of the Anglo Isles launch a pre-emptive strike on the Coral Atolls. The world is once again at war."

Somehow this game appears to be based off a true story lol.

When are we going to get some reviews? Are review sites treating this game as 2nd rate?

[quote name='Swingman']"Tricked into believing that the Solar Empire is developing a devastating super-weapon, Commander Pierce and Colonel Windsor of the Anglo Isles launch a pre-emptive strike on the Coral Atolls. The world is once again at war."

Somehow this game appears to be based off a true story lol.

When are we going to get some reviews? Are review sites treating this game as 2nd rate?[/quote]Apparently they didn't ship copies out until Friday, so reviews should start coming in.

Anyone's local TRU get this? I bought a game with the get 3 for 2 and will return one for this game but they havent gotten it in yet! Grrr

[quote name='Ravenous']Anyone's local TRU get this? I bought a game with the get 3 for 2 and will return one for this game but they havent gotten it in yet! Grrr[/QUOTE]

The TRU in Hamden, CT had a few copies. They also finally got Zack and Wiki in, which I traded one of my 3 for 2 for.

Wow - I don't know if I should feel special or foolish. I seem to be the only CAG on this thread who bought it so far.

I just picked up this evening, due to some existing trade-in credit and a pre-order discount at the local game store, and will be playing it tonight, so I'll post my impressions, for anyone who's interested.

The lack of reviews scares me, but I really liked the first one, so I thought the second one was a safe bet.

[quote name='wjhard63']Wow - I don't know if I should feel special or foolish. I seem to be the only CAG on this thread who bought it so far.

I just picked up this evening, due to some existing trade-in credit and a pre-order discount at the local game store, and will be playing it tonight, so I'll post my impressions, for anyone who's interested.

The lack of reviews scares me, but I really liked the first one, so I thought the second one was a safe bet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sounds like you may be it for the moment. I got my call from Aeris last night so presumably my EB/GS has it (now if only I can remember which one :mrgreen:). I just wasn't headed out that way and without being sure I want it or not I'm in no hurry. But I think I'm pretty set on the rental, which, paradoxically, will actually result in me playing through the game sooner than if I picked up my preorder. But I don't expect Blockbuster to have it for rent before Friday.

Initial impressions for those who are interested.

I've played the Prologue and the first campaign mission (an intro with the Solar Empire) and so far, it's very much like the predcessor, save the Wii controls and prettier graphics. The movement with the nunchuck and the aim/look with the Wii remote took a little getting use to (don't expect MP 3 controls) after finishing the first BW earlier this month on the GC, but I had gotten the hang of it through the first true campaign mission.

The camera is still a little troublesome, just like in the original, especially when aiming in the air, but nothing I couldn't overcome. In this iteration, the infantry roll is accomplished like sharp turns/carving in SSX Blur, with the player holding stick and tilting the nunchuck in the same direction. Jumping is accomplished with a shake of the nunchuck (haven't used it yet) and the tilt controls are mainly for the aircraft, as far as I can tell from the instruction manual.

The unit selection is taken care of by the Wii Remote's digital pad and is akin to missiles in MP 3, so if you didn't like that set-up in Prime, you may not care for it here. The unit transfer is a little different and takes just slightly longer than the first BW, where you must either lock on your friendly unit or scroll through your unit command list and then press and hold 'A', different from just pressing 'Z' in the previous title. Nothing terrible, but a change from the first title.

I haven't gone on-line yet, but unlocking additional levels in all three online modes are accomplished by playing a set number of games in that certain online mode.

It doesn't affect gameplay, but I thought the two or three FMV's I've seen so far were pretty nice (prettier and more serious than the original).

From my short experience so far, I think it's on par with the first Battalion Wars (not a bad thing in my opinion) and it's better looking than it's predecessor. I'll post more impressions and my FC when I get a chance to play a little more.

thanks for your impressions. Wonder when online sites will wake up and give us a review. 2 days after release and nothing on any site. That's just sad.

Review from AMN (it's a start):

http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=11026

"Solid but not spectacular." (paraphrased)

Despite what might seem like many complaints, we generally like Battalion Wars 2. In nearly all ways, it's an advancement over its predecessor, so if you liked the first game, we'd be surprised if you didn't like this too. Unfortunately, the title falls shorts of being a truly "great" Nintendo property. In the end, the formula is shallow and the experience marred by too many small problems. That said, it is a likable and fun Wii title that merges qualities from the action and RTS genres into a one hybrid genre.

Visuals: A lot of textures lack full detail, creating a low-res look for the game. Good visual variety. Character models are a mix of comical and likable, meanwhile. - 7.0

Sound: We like the main theme. Other tracks are less noticeable, though. Voice acting is good, but can be a bit over-the-top and even annoying. - 7.5

Control: It doesn't make extraordinary use of the Wii-mote, but the controls are still well-done and functional. Very responsive and generally feels good. - 8.0

Gameplay: A little shallow, but still mostly fun. The game blurs the lines between the RTS and action game genres. - 7.0

Lasting Appeal: The single-player is of good length, and the online multiplayer gives you a reason to keep playing. - 7.0

Verdict: A very solid rental. - 7.5

I went ahead and bout it. I just did the prologue and save file says I'm 5% done.

I wish the online modes would be available in single player with CPU enemies. I don't know why they didn't include that. It would make the singleplayer portion actually have some replay value. For casual gamers, MP usually turns into getting your butt kicked by those who play more often so getting computer opponents where you can set the difficulty would have been great.

not a bad game. lost my first multiplayer match so went back to the campaign and finished the first mission in solar empire campaign.

I like that it keeps stats so you can go back and try to beat your previous best.

Cut scenes are bit long and can't skip through them. I guess I'm just impatient though.

Picked it up today, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get to it, and maybe even play online. I'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully there'll be some other people here who feel like jumping online to play. ;)

The lack of reviews must really be hurting CAG-er's from picking this up! Out four days and I think there are 3 of us who bought it...poor BWii - you're a decent game!

I've spent more time on campaign and it's solid fun, as was it's predecessor. I've gone online a few times, enough to unlock an additional skirmish mission, and it was lag-free and easy finding a match. That said, I lost every time I played online, but I was never crushed, just more of a marginal loss. No cheap or cheating tactics that I've found yet either, which is a good thing, but inevitably coming.

For anyone that's on these boards that would like to play a friendly, easily won match, my FC is under James 184 798 494 059.

[quote name='wjhard63']The lack of reviews must really be hurting CAG-er's from picking this up! Out four days and I think there are 3 of us who bought it...poor BWii - you're a decent game![/quote]

I plan to pick it up at some point but there are too many other games coming out soon that are much higher on my priority list for buying games. Games like Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Revenant Wings, Assassin's Creed, Unreal Tournament 3 and a few more titles that I'm looking forward to more than Battalion Wars. It's just a bad time to release for me.

Hey guys Im new to Battallion wars and have never played any of them. This is the second one right? Do you suggest I get the first one for the GC on the cheap before I buy this one.?

I am a huge fan of squad combat but really dont know if I care for the cartoony feel.

[quote name='wjhard63']The lack of reviews must really be hurting CAG-er's from picking this up! Out four days and I think there are 3 of us who bought it...poor BWii - you're a decent game!

I've spent more time on campaign and it's solid fun, as was it's predecessor. I've gone online a few times, enough to unlock an additional skirmish mission, and it was lag-free and easy finding a match. That said, I lost every time I played online, but I was never crushed, just more of a marginal loss. No cheap or cheating tactics that I've found yet either, which is a good thing, but inevitably coming.

For anyone that's on these boards that would like to play a friendly, easily won match, my FC is under James 184 798 494 059.[/quote]

Nope, I dont care if reviews gave it a 4.0, the only reason I dont have it is because TRU cant get the damn thing instock! :bomb:

To the above poster, get the first game. Its a hell of a ride and even if it looks cartoony itll kick your ass in some areas and you.ll wonder how you lost and or scored so low.

I played the first one about 2 months back to get ready for this one and tried to earn 'S' ranking and that was toooo tough. Has anyone here done this? Im at all As and alot of Ss, but damn....

[quote name='Draekon']I plan to pick it up at some point but there are too many other games coming out soon that are much higher on my priority list for buying games. Games like Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Revenant Wings, Assassin's Creed, Unreal Tournament 3 and a few more titles that I'm looking forward to more than Battalion Wars. It's just a bad time to release for me.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat, with SMG, FE: RD, and the Zapper with Crossbow Training all coming out in the next three weeks. I figure that I'll get to any back log on these games when I have to use the rest of my banked vacation the last 2 weeks of the year, so I figured I'd pick them all up now, since there is no chance for a price drop on any of these first parties in the near future.

[quote name='pittpizza']Do you suggest I get the first one for the GC on the cheap before I buy this one.?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I definitely suggest you pick up the first one before diving into this $50 game (I saw the first BW stickered at my CC for $12.96 recently, but I'm sure it's prolly lower, since it's been in the clearance bin for a while). I'm not sure if you'll dig the strategy-lite elements and cutesy-war look, but it's a really fun game that gets very tough on certain missions. I think it's also very statisfying to have the ability to control each of the units in your command as the driver/soldier. I definite 'B' title that didn't get enough attention, just like the current sequel. At a minimum, it's a small price to pay to see if you like the series enough to get the similar, but fun sequel.

[quote name='Ravenous']I played the first one about 2 months back to get ready for this one and tried to earn 'S' ranking and that was toooo tough. Has anyone here done this? Im at all As and alot of Ss, but damn....[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you'll be getting it soon, whenever TRU stocks it. As for the original, I finished it last month and spent time 'S-ranking' each mission. I did get stuck on a few and took the wuss option with a faq, but I didn't mind replaying missions until I achieved the 'S' rank. That said, I think I only achieved '100%' on maybe 6 or 7 missions out of the 24 total. It didn't unlock anything, but I'm a completist and it was tough for me not to go back and get 100% on each level, but I have too many unplayed games in my collection due to that personality trait.

[quote name='botticus']Starting a list of FCs in the OP, need more![/QUOTE]

Definitely true! It's got 4 or 5 reviews on gamerankings.com now and it's clocking in at 79%. Come on fence-sitters - give it a chance and post your FC to get a little global conflict going on the board!

Oh man I never went the FAQ route. I may down the road before BWIII though, :lol: That one level where you have a battle station and a bomber and have to take out 2 other stations and 3 islands was tough!! Not to mention that stupid bonus mission with the Sun Legion or whatever where you have to park tanks near the cans and you have NO air support. I got pissed at the game

Well I got BWii at TRU but I wont be playing it till next month.... yup a Xmas present. Than I get home and see the SMG with $25 GC thread... damnit!

bread's done
Back