Battalion Wars 2 (BWii) - Online Co-op/Versus (FCs in OP) - NP: 7.5; IGN: 8; GS: 7.5

[quote name='botticus']Finally got my copy today.

004 410 840 075

Only played the prologue so far, but the controls are nice. I'm satisfied.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you got it and you're alright with the controls. I'll add you to my friend list tomorrow.

I wish more people would give this game a chance - it's a decent game. I've seen several other posters mention on this board that 'they've heard this wasn't a good game', but it's at a 77.5% on gamerankings.com, which I think is a considered a decent score.

E G Man - I've only played skirmish 8 or 9 times (I haven't played Assault or Co-op yet), but it's a basic unit clash with a little strategy (not as much as in the campaign). I've heard that Assault is the best online mode, but I've been going after the S-ranks on campaign right now. Unfortunately, there's no penalty for disconnectors and you don't get credit for staying on the match, so I think that was a mistake on Kuju/Nintendo's part.

Have you gotten an idea of how many multiplayer maps there are? Hopefully my friend and I will have a chance to play some co-op tonight and unlock a map or two.

I actually forgot all about this, I'm definitely interested but as The Crotch said there are far more important games to buy and play this month.

It was just a really bad time to release it, they should of waited until next year or something. Either way, I'll pick it up once the gaming drought sets in sometime in 2008. Hopefully more CAGs will have it then, and for those who already have it will still be up for some games.

Well, I've already played this online more than I have played Strikers, so that's a good sign! Played 5 matches of co-op with my friend. We suck, but it works fine. No lag, but we ran into connection issues at the end. Good fun, have no problems adapting to the control scheme, though it's certainly underutilized.

The lack of voice chat is saddening, but for better or worse the co-op missions are generally short enough that the strategy is fairly easy to pick up on.

decent game and I don't see anything wrong with the controls. My main gripe is just the long cutscenes with no way of skipping them. I'm impatient sometimes and just want to play.

[quote name='The Crotch']It's not that we think it's a bad game. It's just that this is OMGWTFIHAVEFIFTEENGAMESTOBUYINONEMONTH season, and we have to be a little selective.[/QUOTE]

Very true - I'll stop preaching from the pulpit of BWii now so I don't make anyone sick - haha.

[quote name='yukine']Either way, I'll pick it up once the gaming drought sets in sometime in 2008. Hopefully more CAGs will have it then, and for those who already have it will still be up for some games.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good - I hope others here follow. Half the reason I've posted on this board is to find other CAG-er's to play Co-op with. Since the lack of voice hurts the title a little, I was hoping the friend code list would kind of build like Strikers, with some 360 owners listing their tags for private chats during the Co-op missions.

[quote name='botticus']Have you gotten an idea of how many multiplayer maps there are?[/QUOTE]

Botticus, though I'm sure you've found it out jumping online, there are 6 maps for each multiplayer game type (Skirmish, Assault, and Co-op), with 3 maps available from the start and 3 maps locked for each game type. I believe the unlock status is play 3 games of one type then unlock the first locked map. The second map is unlocked with 5 more games played of that game type. The third map is unlocked with 10 more games played of that type. Unfortunately, if your opponent disconnects, you get no credit for playing that game, so just a heads up.

[quote name='The Crotch']If that's a shot at me, I'll have you know that I ignored it.[/QUOTE]

Haha - no, it isn't. It's the fact that it was the 3rd time I mentioned on that it was a good game on this thread. Just trying to cut to the quick before I get a 'shut the hell-up already' reply.

You're a proponent of FE - it wouldn't be right to take the shot.

[quote name='The Crotch']Fire Emblem > Anything Wars

Just ask Darwin over there if you want the scientific explanation behind that.[/quote]While I'm not going to argue that, this has multiplayer.

[quote name='The Crotch']Fire Emblem > Anything Wars

Just ask Darwin over there if you want the scientific explanation behind that.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was actually going to ask if which one is better..this or Fire Emblem.

[quote name='botticus']While I'm not going to argue that, this has multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

This is only WiFi multiplayer, or did I completely miss something?

Like others have said, there are far more important games to be played..but between this & FE..it's a race to see who gets the first price drop :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']Funny, I was actually going to ask if which one is better..this or Fire Emblem.

This is only WiFi multiplayer, or did I completely miss something?

Like others have said, there are far more important games to be played..but between this & FE..it's a race to see who gets the first price drop :lol:[/quote]Yeah, it's only online (split-screen would be terrible, I think, you just need the whole screen to be effective).

Last gen they had drops at about the same schedule, probably be the same this time around as well. And they're both very niche, so I don't suppose it will be long before their drops (relative to other first-party titles, that is).

If anyone's been playing this online, how's the lag been?

I've had pretty good luck, but after we played about a dozen matches last weekend, we had disconnect issues, and then there was some lag after another dozen games today. Wasn't really game-breaking until the last. Hopefully it'll clear up as things settle down, given what a blockbuster this title is. :D

We finally S-ranked our first co-op mission (the first). Only took about 8 tries, usually because we weren't fast enough. I'm glad they give you a breakdown for each score so you know where to improve.

[quote name='botticus']If anyone's been playing this online, how's the lag been?[/QUOTE]

I've been online a few more times since I last posted to this thread. I think I've played co-op and assault a couple times each since then and had no issues with lag, but one match in co-op, the random partner I was matched with seemed to kill a lot of my troops when he got his tank. I guess that team-killing, whether accidental or on purpose, is a real threat in co-op, especially to your score.

Despite that, it's been fun and fast, without too many DC'ers. I just wish there was voice on the co-op matches.

I finished the single player campaign a week ago with all 'S' ranks. It's a much easier task than in the first Battalion Wars. Despite that, all the missions felt bigger than the missions in the first game. I definitely got a sense of accomplishment from each mission completion outside of the Solar Empire campaign. Since then, Super Mario Galaxy has had my attention, but I'm going to get online again with BWii over Thanksgiving weekend.

Also for beating the campaign with all 'S' ranks, you
unlock all mulitplayer missions
A good reason to keep going through the missions until you get the rank.

[quote name='wjhard63']
I finished the single player campaign a week ago with all 'S' ranks. It's a much easier task than in the first Battalion Wars. Despite that, all the missions felt bigger than the missions in the first game. I definitely got a sense of accomplishment from each mission completion outside of the Solar Empire campaign. Since then, Super Mario Galaxy has had my attention, but I'm going to get online again with BWii over Thanksgiving weekend. [/quote]Egads, I'm struggling to get more than a C on some of these missions (just got C, C, B, A on the Anglos Isles campaign... much more difficult than the rest). But I certainly plan on going back and at least getting A ranks on everything to unlock whatever it is... and I assume without reading your spoiler that you get more unlocks by getting all S-ranks.

I don't know if it's the Wii controls or not, but I'm finding multitasking to be much easier this time around. I pretty much quit the first game once I got to a mission where it seemed impossible to manage troops well/quick enough to survive. I also could have just been a noob and didn't know what I was doing at the time.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']So, what are the options online? Is it co-op online too?[/quote]The only multiplayer is online. Co-op, assault, and skirmish.

[quote name='botticus']Egads, I'm struggling to get more than a C on some of these missions (just got C, C, B, A on the Anglos Isles campaign... much more difficult than the rest). But I certainly plan on going back and at least getting A ranks on everything to unlock whatever it is... and I assume without reading your spoiler that you get more unlocks by getting all S-ranks.[/QUOTE]

Haha - some of those Anglo Isle missions are tough. I think I may have had an easier time with BWii as I just finished the original with all S-ranks in mid-October, so I was used to it. In the sequel, I definitely feel like the developers give you a certain path to follow to get through each mission and after a few tries on each mission, everything finally clicked to get the S-rank.

[quote name='botticus']I don't know if it's the Wii controls or not, but I'm finding multitasking to be much easier this time around. I pretty much quit the first game once I got to a mission where it seemed impossible to manage troops well/quick enough to survive. I also could have just been a noob and didn't know what I was doing at the time.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. I thought after a slight delay in switching to another unit (using the Z-lock system), the multitasking would be more difficult, but after that 2nd or 3rd Solar Campaign mission, you get the d-pad switching and everything becomes much more fluid. I also feel like the troops are a little smarter in this sequel.

I hope you finish the game - the last mission is very satisfying when completed!

Wow.... I got it for XMas and gave the fist mission a test run and holy shit was it amazing! I had it on my HD 5.1 system and I was blown away! The controls will take time to get used to but this is by far the best looking game Ive ever owned.

Everyone still playing? Hate to ask but Im not a huge gamer who makes gamer friends in the real world so no one I know owns. Anyone looking for a new friend to play online with? :)

How does this compare to MOH:H2? I've been playing that, and am wondering if this game would be simialr enough to be redundant, or if it has any particular pluses to make it worth buying. Thx.

I def wanna pick this up..but damn. This $50 price is being very stubborn. We've had many many deals & sales over the past few weeks and some NEW titles went on sale for $10 or more off! This hasn't even hit that typical "$47.99" on Amazon. Jeeze.

Just picked this up and I'm enjoying it so far. My FC is 309 364 102 816. PM me if you add me. I already added wjhard63, hack, and botticus from the original post.

[quote name='lilboo']I def wanna pick this up..but damn. This $50 price is being very stubborn. We've had many many deals & sales over the past few weeks and some NEW titles went on sale for $10 or more off! This hasn't even hit that typical "$47.99" on Amazon. Jeeze.[/QUOTE]

I have a sealed cop if your looking for trades ;)

[quote name='Ntrav']Just picked this up and I'm enjoying it so far. My FC is 309 364 102 816. PM me if you add me. I already added wjhard63, hack, and botticus from the original post.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding me - I'll add you back tonight.

I've not played this since s-ranking the campaign back in Oct., but I've been meaning to get back to this to play through some of the co-op missions. If anyone's up for a few co-op missions this weekend, PM me and we'll work out a time.

I just got this at a local Best Buy 50% off clearance; I've been wanting it for a while. I loved the Advance Wars series, and videos of this looked fun. I'll have to see how competent I am before looking for a battle here. Is anyone still playing this?

single player is very fun but the online mode rarely connects to another opponent. this was happening before the SSBB server issues also.

[quote name='lilboo']I def wanna pick this up..but damn. This $50 price is being very stubborn. We've had many many deals & sales over the past few weeks and some NEW titles went on sale for $10 or more off! This hasn't even hit that typical "$47.99" on Amazon. Jeeze.[/quote]

Don't know if you've picked it up by now, but the average closing price on eBay appears to be about $20.00 - $25.00. I might have to pick up a copy if I can get it for that cheap.

[quote name='mold-']single player is very fun but the online mode rarely connects to another opponent. this was happening before the SSBB server issues also.[/quote]Are you trying to connect to random people or to friends? Haven't tried it for a few months now, but my friend and I had very good success playing online.

bread's done
Back