Battlefield 3 Alpha email

jcmeadows

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Didnt see it posted anywhere and if it is please delete the thread but I got a email about 40 mins ago for the Battlefield 3 Alpha testing and am downloading it now. You have to download it through the Origin software. It says that this is different then the beta that they are doing in Sept. Cant wait to give it a try. Has anyone else got the email?

I didnt get an email, but I was able to login to the BF3 site and get a key. I'm almost done downloading.

Just an FYI that the Alpha Trial has an NDA attached to it, however it should be removed come the September Open Beta. Though I doubt a lot of people will abide by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='igotnodough']What the fuck why do they make you download so many things[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's the Origin client, the game, and then like two or three plugins for your web browser. Kind of a pain. Definitely worth it though.

Anyone find a way to configure settings? I can't seem to get out of windowed mode and I'd like to change keybinds. :\

Have you tried the common alt+enter hotkey switch between Windowed/Full?

I'd also say look for any ini file in the game's directory.

[quote name='Jodou']Anyone find a way to configure settings? I can't seem to get out of windowed mode and I'd like to change keybinds. :\[/QUOTE]

You can change settings once the game starts. Hit ESC then go to options. That said, you cannot change the key bindings in the alpha.

Tried it for a while last night, and it was ok. My problem is that no matter what resolution or detail level I selected, it ran at about a fringe-playable 20-25fps. My rig is a 955BE/4870's in crossfire/4GB, and I was able to play BFBC2 pretty well maxed out at 1080P at 50-60fps. My vid card driver is old though, so I'm going to update tonight and try again.

The inability to rebind is lame, but it's an alpha, so I can't really complain. The default keys are pretty similar to bf2/bc2 binds so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

The game ran great on my PC (i5 2500k @ 4.1ghz, HD5850, and 4GB's of RAM). Some slight chug when there was that giant could of smoke that pops up after the park gets passed, but 99% of the game ran great. I really cant wait to see what high settings will look like come the final build.

It does suck that you cant rebind controls, but as you said, it is just the alpha, which is meant for stress testing and whatnot.

[quote name='TLPRIME']This alpha ends Aug. 1st correct? If so I'll just wait for the open beta.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I remember seeing that somewhere and apparently this has been on since the 19th. We're pretty late to the party and I hope they rotate at least one other map before the end.

Some stuff in this is very annoying. The entire Park scenario is such a pain in the ass on offense, and if you by chance do take out both M-COMS, the next part is so fucking lop-sided. You have to funnel down into a subway tunnel, and the enemy team can all just lay in there and take you all out as you enter. I've only played one game where it actually went through all four parts of the map, 95% of the time i doesn't get past the park, and the other 5% of the time it never goes past the subway.

Also, I find it annoying that the game just ends if you lose all your tickets. There has been two times now where we have the last bomb planted, but because we lost all our respawn tickets, it just ends. It needs to play out incase the enemy cant defuse, or until all your remaining soldiers left on the battlefield are dead.

I got an e-mail last night. I wonder why the fuck EA just didn't send all of them out the 18th or some shit. So it means I will have like one day to play this if I decide to download it, :lol:

I somehow got in and I only have BFBC2 for PS3 and PC + BC2 demo for 360 registered on my EA account.

cant wait to try out the destructability I've seen in those alpha videos

[quote name='gunstar808']Oh man what? DX10 required? So, can't play on XP then eh?[/QUOTE]

Methinks it's time for some people to join the future!

[quote name='dabamus']Methinks it's time for some people to join the future![/QUOTE]

For what?

[quote name='igotnodough']anyone with an nvidia card having problems?[/QUOTE]

I'm good here, have you updated to one of the newer drivers?

Nvidia cards crash often. It's probably a leftover of the problem from DX 11/10 in the frostbite engine that exists in BFBC2 and Medal of Honor. They still haven't fixed those games, so now that they've excluded DX9 in Battlefield 3, it's basically unplayable. Cancelled my preorder until they fix their stuff.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, I remember seeing that somewhere and apparently this has been on since the 19th. We're pretty late to the party and I hope they rotate at least one other map before the end.[/QUOTE]

they will not be changing out the map, there will be a different one with each beta/alpha/demo. but they are just working out bugs now so if you play and have any problems, report them to dice so they can be fixed.

[quote name='mastagoalie']they will not be changing out the map, there will be a different one with each beta/alpha/demo. but they are just working out bugs now so if you play and have any problems, report them to dice so they can be fixed.[/QUOTE]
Bummer. I usually don't like playing alpha/beta thoroughly because I'm less excited when launch hits. Usually I just like to get a feel for what the final product will be like and report anything I find along the way. Since I respect NDA's all I'll say is I'm very pleased with it so far!

bread's done
Back