Battlefield 3 (Beta Talk)

Alpha 176

CAGiversary!
I absolutely loved Battlefield Bad Company 2. There were a few problems with it though such as there being no lobby in between games which is bullshit, and the campaign was about as shallow as a narcissistic hooker on main street.

This beta is absolutely garbage. Laggy, terrible graphics, no lobby, downed servers, glitches, squad-break-ups, lag, more lag, and the overhead map looks like a smurf spermed all over your screen. I don't care if it is an old build for the game or not (I'm quite sure it is), I have canceled my pre-order because frankly i'm very unimpressed. By the time I ACTUALLY played it, i'd check back periodically and it was approximately 8 hours till I finally got into a game because of DICE and EA's crappy ass servers. I would think if BF3 was trying to use this beta to "lure" new gamers in they have done a piss-poor job.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Yeah, for what it is supposed to be, this is disappointing. I loved BC2 and kind of wish I still had it. I thought Vietnam was great, although it did lack some variety. It just seems you wanna talk all this smack about how you're gonna take down Modern Warfare and put this out as the beta. I know it's a beta and probably and old build, but you can't gain momentum like this. This isn't helping EA's reputation as pushing out lackluster or downright buggy games either.

Agreed Sizemore. It's ridiculous. As I said, I will NOT be purchasing this game due to the terrible beta.

I look forward to Modern Warfare 3 just because it is basically MW2 with some new upgrades. I'm not a fan boy, just simply saying I loved MW2 and MW3 is pretty much the same thing.

I think I am gonna skip war games. I'm playing too much NHL 12 at the moment and none of the games seem any fun. I really like the vehicles and team play aspect of BF but I can get just as much entertainment out of Grand Theft Auto. It seems to me BF3 is going down the same road Brink did. Maybe that's putting a bad taste in my mouth.

In my opinion, the BF3 beta really sucks actually (graphics, gameplay, interface, and all), although I really loved the 2 previous Bad Company games (except for occasional unbalanced teams in multiplayer). MW2 was class, Black Ops was pretty fun. Looking forward to MW3.

New Game Informer has an underwhelming MW3 preview, aka, feels like MW2 DLC, but all I want is new maps and new Spec Ops anyhow. BF3 beta reaffirmed my decision to rent it, at best. I think I'll use my free time to read BF3 apologists try to excuse such a terrible beta. Can you imagine if COD had a similiar beta/demo?

Last edited by a moderator:
BF3 is just Medal of Honor with the Battlefield name tagged to it. It sucks ass. Looks like I'll stick with Bad Company 2.

It's a beta of course it's not going to be perfect. For a beta, it really isn't that bad. It isn't laggy once you are in a game and the graphics are certainly better than any Call of Duty game. As for there not being a lobby, why do you need one? So you and the 12 year olds can try to get a little shit talking in between games? I'd rather there not be a lobby. All they do is promote 12 year old yelling and whining.

Of course the beta seems like Medal of Honor. There are no vehicles and DICE made both multiplayers. What do you expect?

True it is a beta, however this game comes out in less than 25 days. And this is what we get? I was in the Alpha test. This is just as bad, I will NOT be preordering this now based off how bad the beta is.

[quote name='thegreatest']It's a beta of course it's not going to be perfect. For a beta, it really isn't that bad. It isn't laggy once you are in a game and the graphics are certainly better than any Call of Duty game. As for there not being a lobby, why do you need one? So you and the 12 year olds can try to get a little shit talking in between games? I'd rather there not be a lobby. All they do is promote 12 year old yelling and whining.

Of course the beta seems like Medal of Honor. There are no vehicles and DICE made both multiplayers. What do you expect?[/QUOTE]

Can we stop referring to this as a "beta"? The game comes out in less than a month. It's pretty much a demo. And the graphics aren't that great in my opinion. I'm sad to say this but they remind me much of the graphics in Homefront.

The purpose of a multiplayer beta is to test/work on the servers. How polished do they need to make it? They probably started working on the beta 6 months ago before tweaking and perfecting the main game.

That is not to say the main game will be perfect. ;) Just remember that there is a huge difference between "demo" and "beta". Also realize that the beta had no vehicles and only one game mode.

I don't mind the change of pace. I just want the final product to be more polished in terms of visuals and animation. Less buggy too.

Keep the mechanics. Dint change it. Just polish the big bad motherfucker

While I may not be skipping it, the beta has definitely influenced me to cancel my pre-order.

I never played Battlefield BC or BC2, but have heard sooo many good things about the multiplayer, destructible environments, etc. I figured that Battlefield 3 would be a great jumping-on point, assuming the things that made BC2 great would only be made better. Unfortunately, from both what I've played and read/heard from game critics is that this is entirely not the case. Gameplay is just fundamentally different. DICE removed destructible environments and all the dynamic elements that made BC2 great just to make the game look better.

I hope I am entirely wrong in saying this, but Battlefield 3 is shaping up the be the most incredible disappointment for a video game this year.

I will probably get it after I play it at a friends house to see if the final product is better than the beta, because the beta absolutely sucks.

When has a beta for a game ever been good? The purpose of a multiplayer beta, like said above, is to see how servers will respond and to work out glitches. 25 days is plenty of time to fix glitches and get the servers working well.

Garbage is getting a bad rap when it is compared this used tp. The player models look like they walked straight of my original xbox. Hit detection is non-existance, I got shot? Really? Huh... I was really excited about this, ready to bail on CoD re-tread, shame on you BF3. I actually cancelled my pre-order while I was playing the beta. This is what I think of what they put out for me to play less than a month before it gets to my door.:puke:

[quote name='thegreatest']When has a beta for a game ever been good? ... 25 days is plenty of time to fix glitches and get the servers working well.[/QUOTE] :roll:

Every other beta for a game I was interested in was fun. The CoD Modern Warfare beta (the original) actually convinced me to buy a game I had no interest in getting. Halos, fun, Gears 3, good times, BF3, got me to cancel a pre-order.

25 days is NOT enough time to fix as many problems as this game has. Way too much code must be changed and tested in less than 3 weeks, can't be done.

I personally found the beta to be incredibly unimpressive. With all the hype this game has built up since it was shown, I was just expecting more.

I get it's a beta, but I don't see the full game being different enough to change my opinion on it.

There was a tweet saying that its a really old build.

And honestly the graphics look like crap compared to BC2. So I know it can't be a recent or current build of the game.

I'm pretty sure we are all cognizant that the visuals in the beta are HORRIBLE. But yet I'm also sure that dice is aware that the xbox is capable of better performance. So the final product will be ten times better in every way.

Now where's that tweet...

[quote name='thegreatest']When has a beta for a game ever been good? The purpose of a multiplayer beta, like said above, is to see how servers will respond and to work out glitches. 25 days is plenty of time to fix glitches and get the servers working well.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Gears Of War 3 are some BETA's that I've taken part in and they were all good and far beyond good.

The BF games have always been buggy as hell. Bad Company games less so. Maybe this will be a return to form.

I was just an OK fan of BC and BC2 but a huge fan of BF2 on pc and this seems closer to it than BC so I am keeping my preorder and worst comes to worst, I will just play it till MW3 comes out and sell it on eBay.

Having fun so I'm keeping mine.

If you played the alpha a few months ago, this almost the same build but tweaked for the consoles.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Battlefield 3 is pretty garbage. It has some cool features to it, but far too often I find myself saying "WHO THE fuck IS SHOOTING AT ME!?"[/QUOTE]

Just because you arent used to the game doesnt mean its garbage. If you are coming from other shooters and arent used to the series (ie: bad company) It takes some getting used to as far as spotting the enemy getting used to the visuals etc. Almost every one of my friends I have played with complained about not being able to spot enemies and after a day or so of play its not an issue.

The bugs don't bother me(it's a beta so all effects/bugs aren't on/fixed), the narrow map and class changes bother me. Didn't care for it. Was part of the previous Bad Company Betas, which I liked a lot. Probably going to reconsider my purchase because I wasn't digging it. I know the graphic glitches, bugs might get ironed out, but I didn't care for what they're doing with the different classes and kit unlocks.

Keeping preorder as there's nothing else like this game, out. Had my fill of BC2.

However, I'll probably either wait on opening it until I see that EVERYTHING was fixed from the beta. I mean every single obvious glitch. I assume it's an older build, mostly for stress testing/marketing (very poor marketing IMHO), so it doesn't bother me...yet. Though, I can't bring myself to play much more of it due to how consistent the glitches are.

[quote name='gundamxzero']Just because you arent used to the game doesnt mean its garbage. If you are coming from other shooters and arent used to the series (ie: bad company) It takes some getting used to as far as spotting the enemy getting used to the visuals etc. Almost every one of my friends I have played with complained about not being able to spot enemies and after a day or so of play its not an issue.[/QUOTE]

It's called an opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the game is garbage. That certainly doesn't make it fact. That still doesn't change the fact that, in my reality, the game sucks. If you want me to be more specific, I can.

1. It's just one big snipe fest.
2. You spawn way too far from the objective.
3. Some areas are too fucking dark. I spent at least ten minutes trying to find the button that activated night-vision. I had to search google before I found out there wasn't any NV.

And for fun, 4. An SKS decked out in Tapco garbage? Really? That's a weapon in this game? Lol.

I've really liked the beta so far despite the glitches and bugs that will hopefully be ironed out when the game launches. I'm not passing judgement on the graphics until the final game ships. Even if the graphics do look the same I'm still buying it.

The game can be a bit of a snipe fest in parts if you don't move through cover or if you don't mark the snipers (back button). Also C4 is hella fun to use when it doesn't lock up the 360. I put 6 things of C4 in the air duct leading to the second set of MCOMs, 5 kills and one angry message ensued.

The only problem I really have with the game is the people at times. I don't want to label them as being CoD players but few people like to work together. People don't drop ammo or med kits. Nobody revives. People don't mark targets or call out objectives if you're the squad leader. Heck those are all easy points. Mark the MCOM as an objective if you're the squad leader and you get I believe it is 20 points for every action done to the MCOM. Attacked/Defended it 20 points. Armed it 20 points. Marking enemies is 10 points. At times I've gotten more points by marking targets, suppressing fire and getting an assist then if I had just killed the enemy myself.

You guys are morons. This beta is confirmed from zh1nto's twitter, that this is a very old coding of the game. They couldn't put out a newer version of the coding because of first party submissions. All of the glitches and problems in the beta won't be in the full game.

I'm surprised with the amount of negative things said here, especially preorder cancels. I haven't played it myself, and I know its just a beta but maybe EA/Dice missed the mark here?

I guess time will tell when games out next month.

[quote name='l0lness50']You guys are morons. This beta is confirmed from zh1nto's twitter, that this is a very old coding of the game. They couldn't put out a newer version of the coding because of first party submissions. All of the glitches and problems in the beta won't be in the full game.[/QUOTE]

People are morons because they don't go to twitter for concrete information. Air tight logic.

People are making it sound like they developed a "beta" and a release build side by side, separately. If that's the case, 1. that's fucking stupid and 2. DICE needs to hang it up because there's no reason a developer with their track record should be making something as mediocre for any sort of "test".

They said they are putting out fixes for this beta, why would they do that when the game comes out later this month? Probably because this build isn't that much older than what we will be playing later this month.

There's not a whole lot they can change in 2 and a half weeks, what you're seeing now is literally what you'll be getting, Medal of Honor graphics and the addition of prone. Some people are happy with that which is fine, but it's not for me and the real issue I personally have with the whole thing is that they hyped this game up so much and claimed it would be the COD killer and it's clearly not.

I wish I hadn't played this "beta" because then I'd still be buying BF3 on day one.

I have been really disappointed by the beta. It is still fun playing with friends, but not the same kind of fun. We would all laugh so hard at how broken the beta is. Really hoping the final game turns out better then what they have shown so far.

They should have released karkand on conquest for the beta. Pants would have been shit and I would feel better about them not completely streamlining the awesomeness of battlefield 2.

[quote name='hustletron']People are morons because they don't go to twitter for concrete information. Air tight logic.

People are making it sound like they developed a "beta" and a release build side by side, separately. If that's the case, 1. that's fucking stupid and 2. DICE needs to hang it up because there's no reason a developer with their track record should be making something as mediocre for any sort of "test".

They said they are putting out fixes for this beta, why would they do that when the game comes out later this month? Probably because this build isn't that much older than what we will be playing later this month.

There's not a whole lot they can change in 2 and a half weeks, what you're seeing now is literally what you'll be getting, Medal of Honor graphics and the addition of prone. Some people are happy with that which is fine, but it's not for me and the real issue I personally have with the whole thing is that they hyped this game up so much and claimed it would be the COD killer and it's clearly not.

I wish I hadn't played this "beta" because then I'd still be buying BF3 on day one.[/QUOTE]

Your (incorrect)assumptions and ignorance are astounding. What you are seeing is not what you get, this build is more than a month old and was designed to test their dedicated servers, meaning this was not some side-by-side, its old. They are not loiking ot fix mechanics that may have already been fixed its all server-side updates taht will be done. In addition MOH was not built on the frostbite2 engine. And honestly dont bitch about not reading twitter or their site if you are going to act like you know what build they are using.

I whole-heartedly agree metro is not the best to get an idea of the engine of this game (except maybe the end of the map) PC users get caspian border which at least has vehicles, if you played BF2 on PC at all you may also remember "infantry-only" maps, which were HUGELY popular. Ive heard complaints about the subway being dark? Thats entirely dependent on your setup, I tweaked the brightness in game and have 0 issues. So many many people come from BoPs or MWF and expect the same thing, its not. Diff playstyle, diff visuals. Its very similar to BFBC2

The beta is MORE than playable and enjoyable, this game is built on a sophisticated destruction-based engine, none of the simple textures and mapping like other shooters (halo, MWF, etc) You cant do nearly the same things that you can in this game.

THIS IS NOT A DEMO, ITS A BETA.

Oh and source:
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...10/03/battlefield-3-open-beta-update-2.aspx##

[quote name='CaseyRyback']They should have released karkand on conquest for the beta. Pants would have been shit and I would feel better about them not completely streamlining the awesomeness of battlefield 2.[/QUOTE]
Strike would have been killer, I would have really liked to see Wake as well

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gundamxzero']Your (incorrect)assumptions and ignorance are astounding. What you are seeing is not what you get, this build is more than a month old and was designed to test their dedicated servers, meaning this was not some side-by-side, its old. They are not loiking ot fix mechanics that may have already been fixed its all server-side updates taht will be done. In addition MOH was not built on the frostbite2 engine. And honestly dont bitch about not reading twitter or their site if you are going to act like you know what build they are using.

I whole-heartedly agree metro is not the best to get an idea of the engine of this game (except maybe the end of the map) PC users get caspian border which at least has vehicles, if you played BF2 on PC at all you may also remember "infantry-only" maps, which were HUGELY popular. Ive heard complaints about the subway being dark? Thats entirely dependent on your setup, I tweaked the brightness in game and have 0 issues. So many many people come from BoPs or MWF and expect the same thing, its not. Diff playstyle, diff visuals. Its very similar to BFBC2

The beta is MORE than playable and enjoyable, this game is built on a sophisticated destruction-based engine, none of the simple textures and mapping like other shooters (halo, MWF, etc) You cant do nearly the same things that you can in this game.

Oh and source:
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...10/03/battlefield-3-open-beta-update-2.aspx##

Strike would have been killer, I would have really liked to see Wake as well[/QUOTE]

You realize that they said the same thing for the Medal of Honor "beta" with the exception of the dedicated servers, and nothing was changed from "beta" to release in that game. I guess I'm ignorant for not believe the bullshit they claim after that and locking "downloadable content" on the disc of Bad Company 2.

I never said it WAS a side by side project, ie 2 different development builds, other people in this thread were insinuating that. I said it WASN'T the case.

I don't buy that this is a legitimate beta at all because they could have just given out the beta for free initially instead of suckering people into buying Medal of Honor then releasing it to everyone else 2 days later. Then again it may just be due to greed and nothing to do with their technical gains.

My point is that if they were that concerned about gameplay and improvements, Medal of Honor wouldn't have been a factor. You call it ignorance and I call it cynicism, but they could have just said all that in the post to calm down the people that actually buy what they say, no one can tell if it's true or not, then again no one has ever lied on the internet ever either right.

[quote name='gundamxzero']Your (incorrect)assumptions and ignorance are astounding. What you are seeing is not what you get, this build is more than a month old and was designed to test their dedicated servers, meaning this was not some side-by-side, its old. They are not loiking ot fix mechanics that may have already been fixed its all server-side updates taht will be done. In addition MOH was not built on the frostbite2 engine. And honestly dont bitch about not reading twitter or their site if you are going to act like you know what build they are using. [/quote]

If they didn't want the public to bitch about old Beta code, then they shouldn't have used old Beta code to publically test their servers. It's understandable that it is a Beta and that there will be glitches, but they should've realized that releasing an old, bug filled Beta, regardless of the condition the game is in now, to the public 3 weeks prior to release might taint the image of the final product.

The end of the map is designed like shit and spawns the defenders in an area where if the attackers take over the hotels put them right in line to spawn kill like crazy. The map cut out the uses of some items and makes at least one class less important, not to mention some of the class redesign and unlock system changes I personally don't care for. That's not going to change. I didn't have a problem with the darkness.

I've been a part of the last two BC Betas (and a bunch of others) and I didn't think this one was enjoyable at all, it certainly doesn't show off a sophisticated destruction based engine (I've seen some boxes and trees destroyed), and I will not speak of textures or mapping because as a Beta not all the effects are in place.

It's a Beta, but it also shows that there are some extreme issues with even just this one map (falling through the world geometry) that raise valid concerns, and regardless of bugs the general direction of the game in terms of map design and class kits aren't going to change much between now and the release.

Sure, it's a Beta. They should also realize that putting out old, glitchy code to the public near release is not a good way to sell the game, no matter if the intent is just to stress test. Hopefully they will put out a demo closer to release with a more stable code.

I put in a couple matches and I pretty much finalized my order for MW3 soon after. I will probably pick it up awhile after with so many other games this will have to wait till pricedrop time.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Thanks to threads like these, we'll likely see less open betas in the future - from anyone.

Far too many people think betas are demos.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that they have released this beta with weeks till the full game comes out. if it worked well that would well that would be great, but the truth is is that it's broken with little time to fix it. An example of a good beta is Gears 3. They had a beta months before the game came out, and fixed everything that was wrong with the game spawning, map balance, etc.

Proof that the build is way outdated:

Battleblog#11, Originally Posted 9-15-11:
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...efield-3-multiplayer-game-mode-explained.aspx

Under the "Rush" Game mode description:
If you are familiar with this game mode from Battlefield: Bad Company 2, you might want to know we are refining it for Battlefield 3 in a number of ways, based on player feedback. Some of the gameplay tweaks we are bringing to Rush are:
* You cannot use explosives or shoot at the M-COM to take it out. Only arm and disarm.
* You cannot use explosives or shoot at the M-COM to take it out. Only arm and disarm.
* If the attacking team arms the M-COM but runs out of tickets, the match will continue until the M-COM detonates or defenders disarm it
* If the defenders start disarming an M-COM just before it’s about to blow, the explosion is prevented until the disarm is accomplished. If the defender gets killed during the disarm process, the M-COM will instantly blow
I haven't personally tried blowing the crates up with explosives yet, but I have had an M-COM blow up in my face while attempting a disarm, and also I've lost rounds while an M-COM was still counting down.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Thanks to threads like these, we'll likely see less open betas in the future - from anyone.

Far too many people think betas are demos.[/QUOTE]

People think this is a demo because you go and download it from the demos section on the XBL Marketplace. Derp.

If they legitimately wanted to test this game and "server stress" they would have controlled the access to the servers, not open the flood gates to everyone with a gold subscription and a PS3 account.

I probably don't sound like it, but I want this game to succeed very much, it's difficult to be positive after seeing this beta and having played 1942, Modern Combat, BF2, etc etc.

bread's done
Back