Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

[quote name='SynGamer']For which I'm thankful they made the above changes :p Really can't wait for this. Yes, COD has that fast-paced, no skill, just react type of gameplay that is fun at first...but I want a deeper online multiplayer experience.[/QUOTE]

You die pretty quickly in BC2, and I heard they either upped weapon damage or lowered the health for 3. It's going to be more like COD.

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']So, as someone who has never played any Battlefield games before, what is it supposedly that makes this game better or deeper than COD's online multiplayer experience?[/QUOTE]

It's not really. They're very alike. This game has much bigger maps, vehicles, and stuff like buildings can be demolished. It also runs at 30 FPS on consoles.

[quote name='Trakan']You die pretty quickly in BC2, and I heard they either upped weapon damage or lowered the health for 3. It's going to be more like COD.

It's not really. They're very alike. This game has much bigger maps, vehicles, and stuff like buildings can be demolished. It also runs at 30 FPS on consoles.[/QUOTE]
BLASPHEMY! :p It's small touches such as player weight/movement, bullet drop, sniping, player reactions to explosions...in greater detail, the player feels heavier (in a more realistic "I'm carrying 80 lbs of shit on my back" type of realism). The player moves and reacts to the environment, for example, explosions. The player actually move sin the opposite direction (naturally) and is "shocked" by the explosion.

Where as in COD you see the explosions but your character keeps running/moving as though there was no blast radius, just flashy.

That's my view, but for the most part I liked the slightly slower pace of BC2 compared to MW2.

EDIT: I guess it just "feels" more real...things seem far more logical in BF3 than in MW3.

From what I've read, bullet drop is practically non-existent now and the whole "waddling underwater" feel of the game is gone.

Both of which are positives in my book.

[quote name='Trakan']From what I've read, bullet drop is practically non-existent now and the whole "waddling underwater" feel of the game is gone.

Both of which are positives in my book.[/QUOTE]
Drop is gone? Well there goes skill from being a sniper. There was nothing quite as rewarding as getting those long range marksman headshots on a moving target. Calculating distance, drop, lead, and accounting for lag in real time while managing sway made being a sniper a lot of fun.

I can't really comment on MW vs BF, because I never got past the awful SP campaigns in MW. From what I understand BF requires teamwork to win, though. While I know I've single-handed given a win to my team in BF before, most of the time it is a group effort usually involving flanking or being fearless.

I'd still like to see how much bullet drop there is. In early previews they touted it still being in the game in good-effect.

[quote name='Jodou']Drop is gone? Well there goes skill from being a sniper. There was nothing quite as rewarding as getting those long range marksman headshots on a moving target. Calculating distance, drop, lead, and accounting for lag in real time while managing sway made being a sniper a lot of fun.

I can't really comment on MW vs BF, because I never got past the awful SP campaigns in MW. From what I understand BF requires teamwork to win, though. While I know I've single-handed given a win to my team in BF before, most of the time it is a group effort usually involving flanking or being fearless.[/QUOTE]

Again, I think BC2 and COD were the same in this regard. I went in with just me and one or two other teammates and we won easily.

BC2 was one game where teamwork definitely helped or hindered the action, because a run n gun usually got you killed, and if anyone spawned on you they would die too. If you had 1-2 members who watched each other's back, you last a lot longer (and medic could revive everyone). The lone wolf type would just be easy kills.

In MW2 (from my experience) a good player could single handed destroy the other team, and carry the rest of his squad with minimal assistance (kill streaks really changed the game). MW2 also had crappy spawn dynamics where you could predict spawn points and as long as you stayed outside the area could spawncamp all day. At least in BC2 you could jump in a vehicle and at get out of being camped (and your team can spawn on you to capture a point to spawn elsewhere). In MW2 getting camped is like: spawn, die, spawn, die, repeat.

Different types of approaches for the same genre, which is refreshing. It is hard to jump back and forth between MW2 and BC2 because of this.

I love the new changes they made for Rush.

I mean, arming and disarming mcom's being the only way to destroy them hinders creativity but I can see how more knowledgeable squad could exploit that and just steamroll randoms that way, as is the case a lot of times.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']I love the new changes they made for Rush.

I mean, arming and disarming mcom's being the only way to destroy them hinders creativity but I can see how more knowledgeable squad could exploit that and just steamroll randoms that way, as is the case a lot of times.[/QUOTE]

I loved the creativity. why settle to just arm and disarm mcoms? there was the infamous (super cheap) c4's on the drone bombing runs. But I only used the antitank mines mcoms or the kamikaze atvs strapped with c4's approach. then theres the old fashioned tank shells or collapse the building approach.

if I were against a really good team or had a really crappy team/squads filled with snipers (im talking about atacama desert!!!), I couldnt get near the mcoms. I had to use the kamikaze atvs.

If they keep the exact same squad system, I will cross this off my list.

My biggest gripes with Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor was that DICE doesn't know how to properly implement explosive splash damage. For all their fanciness, I could launch an anti-tank rocket into a bunch of trees where a sniper is hiding and do jack unless I hit 'em dead on. This followed into Medal of Honor where the splash damage was non-existent. For this game to be a contender, I'm hoping they fixed the glaring issues they have with the previous incarnations.

BF3 has such potential, hope they don't screw it up.

[quote name='Mad39er']If they keep the exact same squad system, I will cross this off my list.

My biggest gripes with Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor was that DICE doesn't know how to properly implement explosive splash damage. For all their fanciness, I could launch an anti-tank rocket into a bunch of trees where a sniper is hiding and do jack unless I hit 'em dead on. This followed into Medal of Honor where the splash damage was non-existent. For this game to be a contender, I'm hoping they fixed the glaring issues they have with the previous incarnations.

BF3 has such potential, hope they don't screw it up.[/QUOTE]

You mean the 4 man squad? Or the spawning or what?

They have covered spawning somewhat. There is newer info then this but I didn't dig to much:

You can still "spawn on set places, bases and such"; however, you can't squad spawn, as in BFBC 2, unless your squad leader is alive. This means that the team leader will be the focal point of the way you go about attacking and defending, and reviving squad leaders will be paramount. To keep it fair, the squad leader won't be "one fixed person" throughout the game, but Daniel didn't get into too much detail about how the squad leader role is assigned.

[quote name='NamPaehc']You mean the 4 man squad? Or the spawning or what?

They have covered spawning somewhat. There is newer info then this but I didn't dig to much:[/QUOTE]
4 Man squad and not being able to communicate openly between squads. It made playing with the guys from MW2 pointless as we had on average 3 squads of people but no way to keep everybody in the same game or chat with each other beyond our squad.

[quote name='Mad39er']4 Man squad and not being able to communicate openly between squads. It made playing with the guys from MW2 pointless as we had on average 3 squads of people but no way to keep everybody in the same game or chat with each other beyond our squad.[/QUOTE]

Here is some updated info:

DICE stated recently that there will be team wide VOIP which would enable squad leaders to communicate with others. Bad Company 2 didn’t have this feature (On PC) making it difficult for squads to work together in some grand plan. IF Battlefield 3 does indeed bring back the order system, hopefully there will be a way for Squad Leaders to see other squads orders so that they can coordinate attacks accordingly. Without the Commander, measures to tie the team together need to be used.

You can set objectives as a squad leader. Attack here, move this way, hold this position, disarm, repair this. things like that. All that without VOIP.

Didn't MAG have leadership channel for the squad leaders there?

Hopefully, like they mentioned, they can make it so that squad leaders can see what other squad leaders have as their objectives so they work more strategically.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Didn't MAG have leadership channel for the squad leaders there?

Hopefully, like they mentioned, they can make it so that squad leaders can see what other squad leaders have as their objectives so they work more strategically.[/QUOTE]

mag had several leadership channels: squad leaders to squad leaders, SL to squad, Sl to everyone, Sl to command leader, SL to platoon leader, PL to PLs, command leader (top down) etc.

mad, in bfbc2, if you werent on a squad, then you were on the open channel. so a workaround for more than 4 people would have everyone not be in a squad. you lose the squad benefits but you could chat to each other.

It's just wait and see for me, I've been burned by EA and DICE already. Glad to see you guys are hyped. The last time that happened the game was called Medal of Honor.

No interest in Gears3. And no other games coming out until Battlefield 3 and House of the Dead for PS3 on Oct. 25th. Needless-to-say, I'm really looking forward to this. Too bad I didn't get Medal of Honor, otherwise I'd be playing this on the 27th.

[quote name='Mad39er']It's just wait and see for me, I've been burned by EA and DICE already. Glad to see you guys are hyped. The last time that happened the game was called Medal of Honor.[/QUOTE]

I understand complete. I preorderd MoH but decided not to pick it up after the bad reviews here on cag. But I remember reading that DICE was shoehorned into the multi aspect of MoH at the last minute. Thus, I thought that was why it was a half ass job. Whereas, bf3 feels like a true sequel, maybe even going beyond one.

[quote name='enufs8d']I understand complete. I preorderd MoH but decided not to pick it up after the bad reviews here on cag. But I remember reading that DICE was shoehorned into the multi aspect of MoH at the last minute. Thus, I thought that was why it was a half ass job. Whereas, bf3 feels like a true sequel, maybe even going beyond one.[/QUOTE]

A lot of the reviews were mixed on MoH's multiplayer, but were quick to point out that DICE was brought in to work on it, separately from the sp devs, which is just retarded. And from the sound of things, MoH's multiplayer seemed like a combination of BF2 and BC2...but it was clearly rushed.

Thankfully, Battlefield 3 has been in the making for years, so I have no doubt that they'll improve upon BC2 in every way possible. This makes me a happy panda :D

But that’s not all for our PlayStation fans! You’ll be happy to know that beginning with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (to be released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PS3, brought to you by Sony!

As you may or may not have heard, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is a themed expansion pack containing four of the most loved maps from Battlefield 2, boldly reimagined in the Frostbite 2 engine. It also features new weapons and vehicles, unique in-game dog tags, new persistence, as well as new Trophies.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...nsions-to-hit-ps3-first-open-beta-on-psn-929/

[quote name='8bitArtist']timed exclusive map packs are dumb[/QUOTE]
I thought they learned their lesson with BC2. Guess not.

[quote name='8bitArtist']true, but im sure it cost sony money and thats money that could be used somewhere else much more effectively[/QUOTE]

Sony gets a cut for every DLC sold on PSN I believe...and considering there are over 1.25 million pre-orders for BF3, plus week 1 sales (and there after)...that's a lot of potential income, and it looks good for their console.

[quote name='SynGamer']Sony gets a cut for every DLC sold on PSN I believe...and considering there are over 1.25 million pre-orders for BF3, plus week 1 sales (and there after)...that's a lot of potential income, and it looks good for their console.[/QUOTE]
I sincerely hope DICE is not going back on their word that they will never charge for map packs. There would be nothing for Sony to gain from this.

[quote name='Trakan']Makes zero sense to have exclusivity for a map pack that is free. They will no doubt charge for them.[/QUOTE]
I guess maybe they're going back to what they did with BF2, adding single maps with special conditions/items meant to be a standalone expansion. At least they're not being retarded and slowly releasing the same maps for the different modes again. Either way, I won't be buying any DLC for it.

Since MoH EA and DICE seem to have preferred the PS3 vs Xbox. It's not really anything new as Sony will green flag anything to compete with the 360 in terms of availability, regardless of if it's of actual value or not.

Although it is nice that we get map packs a week early, I don't think it is a big deal in the grand sceme of things. Getting this day 1. Have $50 in GS credit towards it so it will cost me very little!

So, I got a few questions about BF3. I've only played Battlefield 1942 and 1943, never tried the rest of them. Apart from the squad count on one of the modes and graphic, what are the other differences between ps3 and pc version? Also, is the multiplayer going to be similar with MoH (the most recent one)? still undecided between this and mw3, although I may end up buying both.

[quote name='hetz15']So, I got a few questions about BF3. I've only played Battlefield 1942 and 1943, never tried the rest of them. Apart from the squad count on one of the modes and graphic, what are the other differences between ps3 and pc version? Also, is the multiplayer going to be similar with MoH (the most recent one)? still undecided between this and mw3, although I may end up buying both.[/QUOTE]

Pc = Up to 32 V 32 = 64 player matches.
Consoles = 12 V 12 = 24 player matches. *think that is right..

I think both will have Battlelog integration, but the PC version will let you play around on their website (sort of a social network) and launch into matches and what not via web browser.

Also it has been a while since I played any of MOH... But Battlefield has always had something over a lot of titles which is good vehicle combat. Jets, helicopters, tanks, and other land vehicles are what you can pilot this time around. So if your looking for something with a broader scale then BF3 might be for you.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Pc = Up to 32 V 32 = 64 player matches.
Consoles = 12 V 12 = 24 player matches. *think that is right..

I think both will have Battlelog integration, but the PC version will let you play around on their website (sort of a social network) and launch into matches and what not via web browser.

Also it has been a while since I played any of MOH... But Battlefield has always had something over a lot of titles which is good vehicle combat. Jets, helicopters, tanks, and other land vehicles are what you can pilot this time around. So if your looking for something with a broader scale then BF3 might be for you.[/QUOTE]

oh ok, thanks man. I was afraid that the console version will be a "gimped" version (less maps or weapons or something). I assume that there will be some team-based modes as well, like 4-players on each squad or so.

I was afraid at first that DICE would cut the vehicle battle, since I heard that console version will have "smaller" maps than the pc one. Good thing I was wrong.

Yeah all the game modes will be the same throughout the versions, just the number of players changes.

Beyond that they will balance things a bit. I don't think they will reduce the map sizes, but they might limit the number of vehicles. Something like that.

Say if there were enough vehicles for 10% of the team on PC, they might remove a few to keep the number same for consoles so that EVERYONE doesn't end up in a tank. So 2 jets per side instead of 3 or 4. Something like that might happen.

BF also has destructible environments as a key game feature. Can destroy trees (cover), blow holes in walls, or even destroy whole buildings in some cases.

Unlocks(weapon,abilities)/Ribbons/Badges are big draw too.

Here is some fresh videos from the beta with some commentary that I think helps highlight the games features and gameplay.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yeah all the game modes will be the same throughout the versions, just the number of players changes.

Beyond that they will balance things a bit. I don't think they will reduce the map sizes, but they might limit the number of vehicles. Something like that.

Say if there were enough vehicles for 10% of the team on PC, they might remove a few to keep the number same for consoles so that EVERYONE doesn't end up in a tank. So 2 jets per side instead of 3 or 4. Something like that might happen.

BF also has destructible environments as a key game feature. Can destroy trees (cover), blow holes in walls, or even destroy whole buildings in some cases.

Unlocks(weapon,abilities)/Ribbons/Badges are big draw too.

Here is some fresh videos from the beta with some commentary that I think helps highlight the games features and gameplay.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link. the game does look awesome. Do you also know if the limited edition is for preorder only, or for 1st run copies (like dead space 2 and MoH)?

Quite pleased with the PS3 graphics and framerate in those videos. No early access for me (didn't buy MoH), so I'll be playing on Thursday.

EDIT: 720p screenshot (jpg). Found it on videogameszone.de

I was honestly expecting much worse considering all the talk about how much better the PC version looks (naturally). It looks like there's no AA or anything enabled for the screenshot, and judging by the videos of the beta, the game looks much smoother in action. Color me excited :D

I was in the alpha test, and just got my early access code to the beta. Of course it's for the PC though. Downloading at 1.9mb/sec :bouncy:

I'd be happy to post some screenshots, but I'm not running a great rig at the moment so I don't know how good they will look.

So anyone get the BETA yet? Or does it not go live for a while. Stuck at work and cannot wait to hear what people have to say about the game.

[quote name='hustletron']It's odd, I've bought and activated the MOH online pass on both 360 and PS3, but I've only received a code for the 360.[/QUOTE]

PSN codes should be going out around 2PM EST today.

2 people on my psn friends list claim they got same email and it was on the store
1 guy is from belgium other is in uk
maybe here in the states they are running behind
im just over eager to try out this beta

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back