Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

[quote name='slickkill77']:wall:wooooooooooow

Yea I can tell you've never played anything other than BFBC 2 .
You're looking for the wrong game if you want small levels. Battlefield is all about vehicles and big maps. There will be no "small" levels. The game you're looking for is Call of Duty. Pop BF2MC in for the 360. You'll see what I mean.

If you want to see a gamer shit storm, you'll get one if BF3 has small maps.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea if there won't be some small levels by your standards. None of us know that at this point. Being that it has vehicles and most likely the same gameplay feel, I will be happy; no matter how big or small the maps will be.

[quote name='slickkill77']:wall:wooooooooooow

Yea I can tell you've never played anything other than BFBC 2 .
You're looking for the wrong game if you want small levels. Battlefield is all about vehicles and big maps. There will be no "small" levels. The game you're looking for is Call of Duty. Pop BF2MC in for the 360. You'll see what I mean.

If you want to see a gamer shit storm, you'll get one if BF3 has small maps.[/QUOTE]

Weellll, there is a big difference between Arica Harbor and Black Ops. You could probably fit three Black Ops maps in the virtual space of Arica Harbor, which may be the smallest map for BFBC2. And I do enjoy many of the larger maps, aside from Heavy Metal, which most people don't love.

It's an insult to tell a Battlefield fan to play Black Ops, huh? I can see that. Perhaps you can see that if you put the Blah Ops maps into the BFBC2 engine, it would still be a very different game. The two games have a very different feel. I just enjoy the Battlefield gameplay and pace a lot more than the where CoD is lately.

There are three or four guys posting on this thread that have very strong opinions about Battlefield and BFBC2, as though the rest of us are lesser players for liking BFBC2. That's ok, but the BFBC trouncing detracts somewhat from the potential thread excitement for the new game.

I doubt DICE look at BFBC2 as their red-headed stepchild (no offence to the gingers out there). I'm sure they are proud of it, even if it was a slightly different direction to take. And I'm sure (to your dismay) there will be elements of the Bad Company games in the new Battlefield.

I'd really love to see some map ranking, where you could mark a map as 'avoid' and then play it a little less. And I hope they can design maps to help avoid spawn camping. Seems the did that a bit with the Vietnam maps.

Some of this comes down to gaming philosophy. I'm not going to be playing this on PC with a perma-squad aiming for the heights of the scoreboards. I'm going to be casually playing an hour a night with a few friends, not worrying about what features are the hardcorerest. As long as DICE make it fun, I'm there.

[quote name='ianoid']
I'd really love to see some map ranking, where you could mark a map as 'avoid' and then play it a little less. And I hope they can design maps to help avoid spawn camping. Seems the did that a bit with the Vietnam maps.[/QUOTE]

If there was a map ranking, you would find that only 2-3 maps would ever be selected. DICE/other developers are fully aware of this hence why you don't see it implemented anywhere; the closest thing is map voting but even then you are forced to pick from 2.

As for your two complaints I saw earlier...
Spawn Camping - you know you can spawn on your buddies. It is has been forever since I was able to spawn camp a team and normally that occurs because you have a team of 8 on 2 or something like that. Normally my crew backs out of those games as spawn camping is just plain boring. When games are lopsided, a form of spawn camping will exist either way. Say you put a border around where you spawn, once you walk out of that barrier they could still spawn camp that. It is just part of FPS games online. If it happens, you just leave the game and try anew.

Helicopters - most pilots are not great flyers. They fly at a basic/low level and they constantly throttle. The constant throttle allows for easy hits with the tracer dart; aim around a couple inchs in front of the heli. Once it hits, the heli is pretty screwed as not only you but I guarantee another teammate with launch a rocket. 1 and done. Practice makes perfect. It is very rare for me to come across a good pilot/gunner team that takes some time to take down; most of those times they are clan mates (i can tell base on their gamertags). Though note rumor has it tracer dart will not make it into BF3. Being that there are jets, I would assume there will be better ways to take down aircraft.

And I'm sure (to your dismay) there will be elements of the Bad Company games in the new Battlefield.

They already stated they are staying only with 4 classes from BFBC2. I am sure that won't be the last thing they keep from the series.

Weellll, there is a big difference between Arica Harbor and Black Ops. You could probably fit three Black Ops maps in the virtual space of Arica Harbor, which may be the smallest map for BFBC2. And I do enjoy many of the larger maps, aside from Heavy Metal, which most people don't love.

Africa is a midlevel map, in BFBC2 speak. Nelson Bay and White Pass are small maps. These guys complaining are used to big scale maps, which are definitely bigger than these listed. Personally, I think most of the maps in BFBC2 are just about the right size for large scale tank battles.

I hope the maps in BF2 have a similiar feel to Oasis. I like the concept of invading a city. First using your big tanks to fight their big tanks in the countryside to them going on foot through the streets taking out guys in buildings. I really hope the maps have that type of feel.

[quote name='slickkill77']That was all in game....

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5230/battlefield-3-dev-cgi-trailers-misleading[/QUOTE]

Damn, very nice :D I liked what Bach said,[quote name='Bach']It’s a little bit like showing someone a Ferrari and when you paid for it you get a Suzuki.[/QUOTE] :lol:

I would love to play this on PC but I know myself; I'm accustomed to playing on a console hooked up to a TV and I will end up playing this on the :360:.

Just curious; How did y'all Battlefield guys get into PC gaming? And is that y'alls primary platform for all games?

I never played Battlefield up until Bad Company 2. I was never really that much into shooters until then, either -- Borderlands/Goldeneye (N64)/Perfect Dark (N64)/Timesplitters 2 aside. ;)

This game looks like your freaking watching a movie....its simply amazing and frostbite 2 engine is impressive to say the least! The thing I want to know is.....are the gameplay previews were seeing on a monster pc with some heavy duty dual card setup or is that what were going to get on the xbox 360?

[quote name='vlad86']This game looks like your freaking watching a movie....its simply amazing and frostbite 2 engine is impressive to say the least! The thing I want to know is.....are the gameplay previews were seeing on a monster pc with some heavy duty dual card setup or is that what were going to get on the xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

That definitely looked like PC with top specs.

Did I read correctly that BF3 wont support Windows XP on the PC? I actually didn't read that, but I read some peoples reactions that suggested that.

That makes me sad because I still run XP on my desktop and have no plans to upgrade. If true I guess this means I'll only be playing the 360 version.

[quote name='TiKi2']I hate getting stuck on every single stone and pebble. And the walking up a hill. I hope they fix those.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I tend to get stuck on small objects all the time. Anything I can walk up, I'd like it to automatically move up. And corners, those get sticky too.

I think that the human field of view is very wide, like 160 degrees or so. When playing an FPS, it feels like I have a 45 degree field of view some of the time. I think this contributes to the getting stuck sensation. And the lack of tactile feedback of walking. So they kind of need to make movement more fluid around small things.

[quote name='Puffa469']Did I read correctly that BF3 wont support Windows XP on the PC? I actually didn't read that, but I read some peoples reactions that suggested that.

That makes me sad because I still run XP on my desktop and have no plans to upgrade. If true I guess this means I'll only be playing the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

I believe I heard this to be true. It sucks for me as well, I'm still rockin' good ol' XP Pro. At least when I do upgrade to Windows 7 soon (before The Witcher 2 comes out) I can rest easy knowing its a highly regarded OS unlike Vista.

Heh, M.o.H.'s "1 in the chamber" reload made it in. Didn't see much use of Frostbite 2's destruction capabilities. Draging your comrade to safety was the best part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-XuVqWWOuI

2:50 of gameplay. Get shit on Call of Duty

[quote name='Puffa469']Did I read correctly that BF3 wont support Windows XP on the PC? I actually didn't read that, but I read some peoples reactions that suggested that.

That makes me sad because I still run XP on my desktop and have no plans to upgrade. If true I guess this means I'll only be playing the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

I believe its because Xp does not support DX11. Or whatever version they are using for the game that XP doesn't support. I'm not a pc gamer so forgive me if I'm wrong there but I believe that's the reason.

[quote name='Necrozilla']The animation wasn't that good, not better than Medal of Honor t.b.h.[/QUOTE]

:error:

DICE had a map vote in Battlefield 2 MC but unfortunately you generally ended up playing the same three maps. They would be better off giving you a choice of two or three maps and letting you vote while constantly switching them.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I was promised "real gameplay footage." That is obviously scripted bullshit.

fuck this series.[/QUOTE]

:???: I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Do you just like being annoying? Obviously that's in game. Look at the bullet counter on the bottom. Read the previews. ITS IN GAME CoffeeEdge. Whether you want to believe it or not

[quote name='cgarb84']I believe I heard this to be true. It sucks for me as well, I'm still rockin' good ol' XP Pro. At least when I do upgrade to Windows 7 soon (before The Witcher 2 comes out) I can rest easy knowing its a highly regarded OS unlike Vista.[/QUOTE]

Just an fyi: If you're a student, universities usually offer Windows OS's at a heavily discounted price. I bought the Windows Ultimate 7 64bit Systems Student Media for $19.99+tax. I honestly don't know the difference between the student version vs retail, I'm just putting this information out there :)

I hope the :360: version looks almost as good as the PC :pray: God knows I cannot afford to upgrade my PC right now to run this future AWESOME game :lol:

[quote name='slickkill77']I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Do you just like being annoying? Obviously that's in game. Look at the bullet counter on the bottom. Read the previews.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if not, just, wow....you're exactly the sort of person that marketing scumbags just love.

Seriously, if an ammo counter is all it takes to convince you that something is actual, regular, non-scripted gameplay, then I have a PS3 game I'd like to sell you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOZvKWXDP4

Um, the trailer is gameplay footage. There's a full HUD, a button prompt shows up when the player is dragging the downed soldier, there is ADS footage, and even poor A.I is shown when the player forces an A.I squadmate to leave his cover when the player hijacks it. Sure, the events in the gameplay are scripted, regardless, it's still gameplay. If it isn't, what would you call it then?

Gameplay that scripted is hardly gameplay. It's a stroll through a cinematic, like a Disney ride.

Take a second and actually look at what we're looking at in this video. We're watching at the player following some completely script-driven squadmates down some extremely narrow halls with no room for variation whatsoever, then through some rooms that they're going to move through the exact same way every time because they're just following a script, before finally exiting into a slightly larger square area that, from the second the player walks out the door, immediately goes into being a QTE where you drag someone around (again, this is all just a script and a QTE, not actual dynamic gameplay), and then the player stands in the same place for a while shooting enemies, until finally, we get back to watching the squadmates do some more scripted actions, and the player stands next to something that explodes and triggers a pre-scripted "falling on their ass" animation. This will all happen the same way every time. You don't have any real impact on anything. Your squadmates won't react to you going off-script. You're just going through the motions and acting out the pre-scripted cinematic.

And yet here we have it, dopes going ga-ga like this is the fucking second coming or some sort of revolutionary FPS that will finally deliver on the promises of that fake Killzone 2 trailer from so many years ago. This isn't magic, people. This is just a game, using blatant and insulting smokescreens, to mask a lack of actual dynamic gameplay. Did Medal of Honor teach you nothing? People's insistence on not actually thinking about this stuff critically is how people get duped into buying stuff like Monster Cable, thinking it's some sort of magic, when a basic technical understanding will show you the truth. Again, this game has no magic, just tricks.

"Get shit on Call of Duty"? What do you see in here, that isn't done in CoD's campaign modes? A slightly different scripted Disney ride?

Ugh. This series died five years ago.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Ugh. This series died five years ago.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you weren't along with it.

Of course it's scripted -- all single player shit is scripted nowadays.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Gameplay that scripted is hardly gameplay. It's a stroll through a cinematic, like a Disney ride.

Take a second and actually look at what we're looking at in this video. We're watching at the player following some completely script-driven squadmates down some extremely narrow halls with no room for variation whatsoever, then through some rooms that they're going to move through the exact same way every time because they're just following a script, before finally exiting into a slightly larger square area that, from the second the player walks out the door, immediately goes into being a QTE where you drag someone around (again, this is all just a script and a QTE, not actual dynamic gameplay), and then the player stands in the same place for a while shooting enemies, until finally, we get back to watching the squadmates do some more scripted actions, and the player stands next to something that explodes and triggers a pre-scripted "falling on their ass" animation. This will all happen the same way every time. You don't have any real impact on anything. Your squadmates won't react to you going off-script. You're just going through the motions and acting out the pre-scripted cinematic.

And yet here we have it, dopes going ga-ga like this is the fucking second coming or some sort of revolutionary FPS that will finally deliver on the promises of that fake Killzone 2 trailer from so many years ago. This isn't magic, people. This is just a game, using blatant and insulting smokescreens, to mask a lack of actual dynamic gameplay. Did Medal of Honor teach you nothing? People's insistence on not actually thinking about this stuff critically is how people get duped into buying stuff like Monster Cable, thinking it's some sort of magic, when a basic technical understanding will show you the truth. Again, this game has no magic, just tricks.

"Get shit on Call of Duty"? What do you see in here, that isn't done in CoD's campaign modes? A slightly different scripted Disney ride?

Ugh. This series died five years ago.[/QUOTE]
Don't be confusing target renders with in-game. Thanks for pointing out it'll be a linear shooter captain obvious - everything in that trailer is perfectly feasible for a veteran player to do on their second playthough as we all know we get those "where do I stack up?" moments in our first playthroughs and of course the dev. knew that van would blow up so taking cover and being blown back added MARKETING drama.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if not, just, wow....you're exactly the sort of person that marketing scumbags just love.
[/QUOTE]

You sir, are too dumb for words

[quote name='HydroX']Too bad you weren't along with it.[/quote]
Wow, that was completely fucking unnecessary. Interesting that you think this is an issue worth actual human lives, internet tough guy.

Of course it's scripted -- all single player shit is scripted nowadays.
And that's awful. It's pathetic that the reason people are excited for this is basically "ooh, look how cool this shallow, empty scripted shooting gallery looks!," when it's still just the same backwards shit we've been playing since Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. There is nothing new to be excited about here, that we didn't have 10 years ago.

What innovative or dynamic or cool new gameplay do we have in this trailer? What's new? Some slightly different recoil effects when you shoot while aiming down the sights? Some god-rays? A well-animated QTE? What? What is the excitement for? Honest question.

I hear that this "shits on" CoD, but what is in here that's different from any of the past five CoD games?

[quote name='slickkill77']You sir, are too dumb for words[/QUOTE]
Sick burn.

You said this shits on CoD. What is different?

CRAPPER.JPG

Looks like we got a thread crapper.

You've made your opinion clear, now please find someone else's thread to rant on. Everyone in this forum is extremely excited about Battlefield and typically prefers it over any COD. If you aren't satisfied with the trailer, then move on.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I hear that this "shits on" CoD, but what is in here that's different from any of the past five CoD games?[/QUOTE]

You obviously have never played any of the Battlefield titles. One huge fucking difference is Vehicles. There are plenty more differences. You must be really blind.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh my bad, didn't see that this thread is for circle-jerking only, not actual critical or intelligent discussion about games.[/QUOTE]

You should join the intelligent discussion over at GameFAQs then. If you don't like what you see, move along.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']You've made your opinion clear, now please find someone else's thread to rant on. Everyone in this forum is extremely excited about Battlefield and typically prefers it over any COD. If you aren't satisfied with the trailer, then move on.[/QUOTE]

This.

People just ignore CoffeeEdge. All he typically does is troll and make dumb statements, like the one time he claimed the Heavy Rain was gonna cause the next videogame crash..

[quote name='TheRock88']That was proven to be faked, most of the other team helped boosted.[/QUOTE]

No shit? Can you please give me a link to that? :)

It looked like those guys learned the spawn points and just ran riot on those poor bastards :lol:

[quote name='robin2099']People just ignore CoffeeEdge. All he typically does is troll and make dumb statements, like the one time he claimed the Heavy Rain was gonna cause the next videogame crash..[/QUOTE]

Lol is this for real?

[quote name='robin2099']People just ignore CoffeeEdge. All he typically does is troll and make dumb statements[/quote]
No, actually, I say honest things that a lot of people find challenging, and get branded "troll" by people who can't deal with it. I refuse to be a blind trendwhore hivemind lowest-common-denominator regular gamer or buy into marketing bullshit and outlandish developer claims, and the CoD and Battlefield kids just can't handle it.

like the one time he claimed the Heavy Rain was gonna cause the next videogame crash..
Bullshit.

[quote name='lordopus99']You obviously have never played any of the Battlefield titles. One huge fucking difference is Vehicles. There are plenty more differences. You must be really blind.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1942 and Vietnam, spent most of late 2005 playing BF2. Do you really think I would be so upset to see how shitty this series has become, if the earlier entries weren't some of my favorite games ever?

To address what you said: no shit it has vehicles, but we don't even see them in this trailer, and yet from this trailer, we can apparently tell that this "shits on CoD" (nevermind the fact that in the singleplayer, they'll just be vehicles from one scripted set-piece to the next), and I just can't get an explanation of what is so amazing in this video.

Notice that all anyone here has done is call me an idiot, wished death upon me, and said that the game is awesome or whatever, based off of 2 minutes of extremely tightly-controlled footage, without actually saying anything about the footage or the game.

But hey yeah whatever, you guys got me burned real good and have me all figured out, I'm just a troll here to ruin your excitement or whatever.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1942 and Vietnam, spent most of late 2005 playing BF2. Do you really think I would be so upset to see how shitty this series has become, if the earlier entries weren't some of my favorite games ever?

To address what you said: no shit it has vehicles, but we don't even see them in this trailer, and yet from this trailer, we can apparently tell that this "shits on CoD" (nevermind the fact that in the singleplayer, they'll just be vehicles from one scripted set-piece to the next), and I just can't get an explanation of what is so amazing in this video.

Notice that all anyone here has done is call me an idiot, wished death upon me, and said that the game is awesome or whatever, based off of 2 minutes of extremely tightly-controlled footage, without actually saying anything about the footage or the game.[/QUOTE]

If you've played the earlier BF games, then you know how shitty they've become with the BC series. People are excited. The smallest changes in the right direction mean a lot. The movement looks improved. The lighting and graphics look superior to BC2. The recoil of the gun looked more realistic.

Now it is only a few minutes of footage, but it gets me excited for the game.

That being said, everyone please try to be civil from now on.

[quote name='robin2099']People just ignore CoffeeEdge. All he typically does is troll and make dumb statements[/quote]
No, actually, I say honest things that a lot of people find challenging, and get branded "troll" by people who can't deal with it. I refuse to be a blind trendwhore hivemind lowest-common-denominator regular gamer or buy into marketing bullshit and outlandish developer claims, or to keep silent about what I think, and the CoD and Battlefield kids just can't handle it.

like the one time he claimed the Heavy Rain was gonna cause the next videogame crash..
Bullshit.

[quote name='lordopus99']You obviously have never played any of the Battlefield titles. One huge fucking difference is Vehicles. There are plenty more differences. You must be really blind.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1942 and Vietnam, and BF2 consumed most of Fall 2005. I still play Vietnam, my personal favorite. Do you really think I would be so upset to see how shitty this series has become, if the earlier entries weren't some of my favorite games ever?

To address what you said: no shit it has vehicles, but we don't even see them in this trailer, and yet from this trailer, we can apparently tell that this "shits on CoD" (nevermind the fact that in the singleplayer, they'll just be vehicles from one scripted set-piece to the next), and I just can't get an explanation of what is so amazing in this video. We had some straight halls, some empty rooms, one QTE, a short firefight where the player hardly moved, and a scripted explosion. If you weren't told what it was, how could you have told this was footage of Battlefield 3, and not the inevitable Modern Warfare 3?

Notice that all anyone here has done is call me an idiot, wished death upon me, and said that the game is awesome or whatever, an instant pre-order, based off of 2 minutes of doubtlessly extremely tightly-controlled and scripted footage, without actually saying anything about the footage or the game itself.

But hey yeah whatever, you guys got me burned real good and have me all figured out, I'm just a troll here to ruin your excitement and cause trouble for no reason or whatever. God forbid I actually care about games and have things to say about them, and dare to not just join the circle jerk over the latest boring lifeless desert warfare non-game shooting gallery we get served every few months.

Whatever. At least I still have ARMA II and Red Orchestra.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1942 and Vietnam, spent most of late 2005 playing BF2. Do you really think I would be so upset to see how shitty this series has become, if the earlier entries weren't some of my favorite games ever?

Notice that all anyone here has done is call me an idiot, wished death upon me, and said that the game is awesome or whatever, based off of 2 minutes of extremely tightly-controlled footage, without actually saying anything about the footage or the game.[/QUOTE]

If you've played the earlier BF games, then you know how shitty they've become with the BC series. People are excited. The smallest changes in the right direction mean a lot. The movement looks improved. The lighting and graphics look superior to BC2. The recoil looked more realistic.

No, actually, I say honest things that a lot of people find challenging, and get branded "troll" by people who can't deal with it. I refuse to be a blind trendwhore hivemind lowest-common-denominator regular gamer or buy into marketing bullshit and outlandish developer claims, or to keep silent about what I think, and the CoD and Battlefield kids just can't handle it.

Bullshit.

Actually, I've sunk hundreds of hours into 1942 and Vietnam, and BF2 consumed most of Fall 2005. I still play Vietnam, my personal favorite. Do you really think I would be so upset to see how shitty this series has become, if the earlier entries weren't some of my favorite games ever?

To address what you said: no shit it has vehicles, but we don't even see them in this trailer, and yet from this trailer, we can apparently tell that this "shits on CoD" (nevermind the fact that in the singleplayer, they'll just be vehicles from one scripted set-piece to the next), and I just can't get an explanation of what is so amazing in this video. We had some straight halls, some empty rooms, one QTE, a short firefight where the player hardly moved, and a scripted explosion. If you weren't told what it was, how could you have told this was footage of Battlefield 3, and not the inevitable Modern Warfare 3?

Notice that all anyone here has done is call me an idiot, wished death upon me, and said that the game is awesome or whatever, an instant pre-order, based off of 2 minutes of doubtlessly extremely tightly-controlled and scripted footage, without actually saying anything about the footage or the game itself.

But hey yeah whatever, you guys got me burned real good and have me all figured out, I'm just a troll here to ruin your excitement and cause trouble for no reason or whatever. God forbid I actually care about games and have things to say about them, and dare to not just join the circle jerk over the latest boring desert warfare non-game lifeless shooting gallery we get served every few months.

Whatever. At least I still have ARMA II and Red Orchestra.

If you've played the earlier BF games, then you know how shitty they've become with the BC series. People are excited. The smallest changes in the right direction mean a lot. The movement looks improved. The lighting and graphics look superior to BC2. The recoil looked more realistic.

bread's done
Back