Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

lol i bought the limited edition for medal of honor for this

but i didn't even play the game yet..

can i do it now and still get early access code?

I assume it only gets me 2day advantage and then everyone can get into beta? thanks!

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']That is not going to happen. The pc gets it first I think and it's up to PSN and XBL to release it. I think this is for the pc owners.

Times

You should be getting a e-mail in the next 12 or so hours.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I said :lol: I just saw the post on the blog, awesome :D I'll have to wake up early for this.

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']lol i bought the limited edition for medal of honor for this

but i didn't even play the game yet..

can i do it now and still get early access code?

I assume it only gets me 2day advantage and then everyone can get into beta? thanks![/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know. Go ahead and redeem it, what do you have to lose.

I happened to be up real late tonight and I was hoping for a little beta treat in my Inbox. I got an e-mail from EA over the summer saying I had "priority access" to the beta. Did anyone else get this and does this mean that I'm in the early group? I guess I only have to wait an hour and a half to find out. I'd love to have it for 360 but I'm so excited for this game that I'd install on PC just to play it for a bit over the next couple of days. I missed the alpha, unfortunately.

If anyone else is getting this on 360 and wants to form some quality squads feel free to send me a FR, really for any Battlefield game. I'm a huge fan of the series as you just can't beat the depth of strategy and co-op gameplay, even if it isn't always called "co-op". I don't think you even have to be a fan of shooters to enjoy the strategy of Battlefield. It would be neat to form a nice Friends list of fellow-minded Battlefield nuts to just be able to join a good squad whenever we're on and feel like playing for a bit.

[quote name='gubmccargen']I happened to be up real late tonight and I was hoping for a little beta treat in my Inbox. I got an e-mail from EA over the summer saying I had "priority access" to the beta. Did anyone else get this and does this mean that I'm in the early group?[/QUOTE]

Good morning gub. Yes, I believe several people, including me, received that e-mail back in August (look at post #479 on the previous page). I've yet to get one today though.

EDIT: I just checked the BF3 blog and they mentioned the times we were supposed to receive them today. I should have gotten it already (current Central European Time is 3:14PM, current Central Time is 8:14AM). :whistle2:(

That was a damn good trailer, even though I know the graphics won't be that good on 360. Even though I'm a COD guy at heart, I'm going to have to give the B3 beta a try.

If I remember correctly, I think if you were part of the EA Gun Club you get early access too, but I could be wrong and not that it matters anyway. I'm at work so basically the early access is only like a day for me since I won't be able to play till I get home.

If they even deliver on the "early" access................

Best Buy is doing a SPECACT skin kit with 8 multiplayer skins as well as the Back to Karkand expac for preordering with them. Not mention on if the skins are for guns or players.

Yeah, the early access thing looks like a bust to me. I feel badly for those who actually pre-ordered MOH simply for what ended up being a possible 2 day early window. Couldn't they have at least made it a week or something? It isn't a big deal if I don't get the "priority" time as it's only a couple of days more now but I was looking forward to trying it out while I had to be up all night. EA really dropped the ball on this one.

I just received my e-mail with a Beta key. I went to check the twitter feed for zh1nto, and surprise, EA is having issues with their :360: servers.

Personally, I didn't buy MoH just for the BF3 beta, I really wanted to experience the game. But I have to agree with you that EA did a bad job with how they are rolling out the beta.

Btw, the :360: beta is 1.3GB. I'm glad it isn't as large as the PC beta (3.0GB).

Got my code and downloading now. I'll see how broken it is shortly ;)

EDIT: It figures that whenever I do finally get the Matchmaking to find and start loading a game I get a "The connection with EA Online was lost" error. Servers are probably swamped but you'd think they would expect and plan for this given they know how many beta invites they sent out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just had my 1st match (we lost). It was great. I have to go to work now, damn.

It's difficult going towards the 2nd M-COMS, it's a choke point if you don't get organized.

[quote name='slickkill77']Also as I predicted, the emailing of the beta codes is also turning out to be a disaster.[/QUOTE]

How so?

Having a lot of fun with this. It's pretty easy to go offand multiple great games in a row.

No 30mm.

I can't wait for the full game.

No server problems for me, running very smooth.

[quote name='slickkill77']Lots of people still haven't gotten their codes and those that have can't play. Unless they fixed the servers[/QUOTE]

Im on right now. I keep getting into matches that are just black screens having to dashboard out and go back into the game.

Also if anyone is looking to squad up for in the beta some rippin and tearin, I would gladly join. GT; Taniwha

When I pressed pause to Quit out of the game, it stayed on a loading screen forever. I left it on while I was changing to go to work and it was still on the loading screen. Nonetheless, the servers have been fixed for a while now since I was able to get in on a match before I left home.

I had been playing since I got my code and only had problems for the first 20-30 mins trying to get in a game. Also, tried with 2 different friends and per a typical BF release we were not able to join any games together or join each other's games in progress.

I've encountered quite a few glitches and bugs so far:
-People whose character models are sideways (it looks hilarious)
-Whole area at a plant sight was just brown and couldn't see enemies or any geometry
-Often there are white streaks in the air where bullets were flying
-Bushes stretched across the screen
-Groups of enemies with team-mate names/colors (a couple of guys were just running around our spawn knifing people and another group in same game were standing together shooting up our spawn)
-Only the text prompt with X button shows to pick up weapon kits with no indication of what kit it is and sometimes will show in the middle of your screen for a few seconds randomly
-I've already been killed by someone in a rock and another guy up in the sky
-Every respawn (except 3 times) in my several hours of playing I start without a weapon for the first 2-3 seconds
-Absolutely no sound other than my own gunshots has happened a number of times
-Quitting from start menu leaves you in an indefinite loading screen

Basically, it truly feels like a Beta but they don't have much time left to clean things up. Granted, who knows how old of a build this beta is.

As for lag I've only seen about 2 people who were lagging around corners and such.

[quote name='matto1233']What game types does the beta have?[/QUOTE]

Just Rush on a single map.

I had connection issues with BC 2 about 2-3 weeks ago. Problem was very hit or miss. For all those having issues, wait 30 mins - 1 hour and try again.

[quote name='woodcan']I had been playing since I got my code and only had problems for the first 20-30 mins trying to get in a game. Also, tried with 2 different friends and per a typical BF release we were not able to join any games together or join each other's games in progress.

I've encountered quite a few glitches and bugs so far:
-People whose character models are sideways (it looks hilarious)
-Whole area at a plant sight was just brown and couldn't see enemies or any geometry
-Often there are white streaks in the air where bullets were flying
-Bushes stretched across the screen
-Groups of enemies with team-mate names/colors (a couple of guys were just running around our spawn knifing people and another group in same game were standing together shooting up our spawn)
-Only the text prompt with X button shows to pick up weapon kits with no indication of what kit it is and sometimes will show in the middle of your screen for a few seconds randomly
-I've already been killed by someone in a rock and another guy up in the sky
-Every respawn (except 3 times) in my several hours of playing I start without a weapon for the first 2-3 seconds
-Absolutely no sound other than my own gunshots has happened a number of times
-Quitting from start menu leaves you in an indefinite loading screen

Basically, it truly feels like a Beta but they don't have much time left to clean things up. Granted, who knows how old of a build this beta is.

As for lag I've only seen about 2 people who were lagging around corners and such.

Just Rush on a single map.[/QUOTE]

In my one match, I only experienced the last one, indefinite loading screen. We'll see what I find out later tonight.

Oh, and I think DICE will benefit if you mention the above info in their beta forum. If I'm not mistaken, I think it is on Battlelog.

every match i've tried to play has just had "disconnected from EA servers".

This is dumb.

[quote name='woodcan']Just Rush on a single map.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Does that mean that rush was the main focus of the games multiplayer again? I wanna see conquest like it was in BF2, not just thrown in due to demand like in BC2.

lol @ the people who complain about the beta not being perfect and things are broken. It's a BETA not a DEMO.

[quote name='Superstar']lol @ the people who complain about the beta not being perfect and things are broken. It's a BETA not a DEMO.[/QUOTE]

Really? You don't fix broken polygons and torn textures 3 weeks prior to the games release. This "beta" is a joke. The game looks like shit compared to the lowest settings on the Pc. All the textures are blurry.

The reload animation only works half the time, the knife is still broken, hit detection appears very spotty even though I went 37 and 23 my second game. Very disappointed in this way this game is looking and I'm hoping this is a super old build.

[quote name='hustletron']Really? You don't fix broken polygons and torn textures 3 weeks prior to the games release. This "beta" is a joke. The game looks like shit compared to the lowest settings on the Pc. All the textures are blurry.

The reload animation only works half the time, the knife is still broken, hit detection appears very spotty even though I went 37 and 23 my second game. Very disappointed in this way this game is looking and I'm hoping this is a super old build.[/QUOTE]

If it was a demo of their current build you'd have reason to complain. If it's a beta (which is is) then you log all these findings and send them to the development team. That is the purpose of a beta.

This may be a "beta" version of the game, but it's way too late for this to be an actual beta test. The games releases in 4 weeks, which means it's shipping to stores in about three weeks. Add about a week for manufacturing. So that leaves two weeks to have people play, implement changes and retest. Not buying it. They just had to put a "beta" out to keep the people happy who bought Medal of Honor.

BETA...lol, more like a Marketing Demonstration labelled as a BETA so people can feel special and not complain about the bugs this late in the development stage. Back in my day...BETA's started a year before the game came out and were invite only.

[quote name='matto1233']Thanks. Does that mean that rush was the main focus of the games multiplayer again? I wanna see conquest like it was in BF2, not just thrown in due to demand like in BC2.[/QUOTE]

While I don't have an answer to your question... I couldn't agree with you more about Conquest. I use to play Conquest a ton in BF2:MC, and then out of BFBC 1 & 2 I would say I only put in a total of 1 day of playtime.

[quote name='Superstar']lol @ the people who complain about the beta not being perfect and things are broken. It's a BETA not a DEMO.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Superstar']If it was a demo of their current build you'd have reason to complain. If it's a beta (which is is) then you log all these findings and send them to the development team. That is the purpose of a beta.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ziv']This may be a "beta" version of the game, but it's way too late for this to be an actual beta test. The games releases in 4 weeks, which means it's shipping to stores in about three weeks. Add about a week for manufacturing. So that leaves two weeks to have people play, implement changes and retest. Not buying it. They just had to put a "beta" out to keep the people happy who bought Medal of Honor.[/QUOTE]

I think the main problem I am having with this whole "Beta" discussion is that much like most people I consider this far from a beta due to various reasons.

1) We are playing a game that is set to be released in less than 30 days, which by most studios, this game would be going gold this week or very early next week. But DICE has a history of sending games 1-2 weeks prior to release.
2) Yes this is an old build of the game. It has been reported that this is a build from this past June. Why the fuck are you just now putting something from June out for testing? Some of the stuff is more than likely fixed right now, but what's to say that there isn't anything new that is messed up now? Especially when people who play the beta are going to see this broken ass shit from June and think your final product is going to be like that.
3) EA and Dice have continually fucked up releases... Every time a new game comes out, there is always something with matchmaking (and before anyone says anything, I am not by any means saying that Activision, IW, and Treyarch are better).
4) Yea the game looks pretty, but if it is unplayable what good does it do... Sure you can polish a rusty old Pinto, but it's still a Pinto. I wish EA and Dice would realize that graphics alone don't make a game, there actually has to be some context and playability to it.

I find it funny that EA continues to talk shit and take shots at Activision and COD, but refuses to actually acknowledge what they do right to actually attempt to take some of their share of the market.

[quote name='Superstar']Developers could take the notes from Beta tests and implement them in patches once the game releases.[/QUOTE]

That is what most do, but the problem with that is that by the time you get that patch out, you might already be a week or two after release due to the time it takes to go through Microsoft authorization. At that point, you may have already lost out on sales either from word of mouth of the game being broken or you may have lost out on sales due to some people trading the game in and others buying it used.

I've been playing the game for 4 hours now on and off. I have to agree with seanr. I loved BC2 but this beta for BF3 seems like a step backwards from BC2 almost feels MOH'ish. The movement feels extremely clunky and not fluid at all. And for BF main niche was destructible environments and awesome vehicles why include one map that has no vehicles or little to no destruction on it. Wtf?

Anyone else notice the explosions and sparking features look extremely pixelated? I know I am not on a Beast PC but come on now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im enjoying the beta so far, really digging the movement (feels like MOH which I liked). Only 2 issues so far:

1) Me and a friend tried to get into a game together for like 30 minutes and it would simply not let us do it. Either gave us an error message or one person got in but the other person stayed in the main menu.

2) Red dot sight. I kept playing until I got it and was hoping for something like from the COD series. Instead I get the iron sights of the gun with a tiny little dot at the end of the iron sight. Might as well just stick with the regular one seeing as how its not much different.

Any chance of them adding another map before the beta is over? Hopefully one that has vehicles in it?

I dont think this the best map for the beta (seems like a demo). I played for about an hour or so attack and defend and no one could get past the subway. It's a minefield. Once I got my defibulator, it was on and popping. I must have brought back 20 people in the subway and we were able to come out the other side and it looks great. Def feels more MOH than BC2 but it was still fun.

This isn't a beta, just because there's an obnoxious little icon in the top right corner that says "BETA" doesn't make it a beta.

If this is a beta build then EA and DICE are in for a huge shit storm if the final build looks and plays like this because this is pathetic considering the hype and the length of development time they had.

If the FrostBite 2 engine is so awesome it should be no problem scaling it back for the lesser hardware of the consoles, but they still manage to have screen tearing, missing textures, massive amounts of glitches, the mysterious black screen when you first join a game that doesn't go away and prevents your from playing, the soft walls and ground, and the stuff I mentioned in my last post then incorporate the lag in most of the matches that weren't even full.

And all this was just from about 5 games. I got killed by someone that was underneath the map one game. Another game there was a dead team mate's body on the floor, the pistol was out of the holster and firing in random directions while the body was just lying there.

Then there's also this obnoxious screen flickering, I don't even know how to explain it, it constantly flashes a bright orange for split seconds but it keeps doing it randomly.

The alpha on the PC played better than this.

Aside from the all the technical bullshit, the game doesn't feel right. The assault class AK takes way too many rounds to kill someone it seems, the 8x scope you get on it doesn't even really make it more accurate. There's no real indication of you getting shot at most times until you're dead which is odd because it's not hardcore.

All the weapons seem like they spray too wildly and we're supposed to be playing as trained soldiers, I would have expected the recoil to be more controlled even when firing in bursts AND with a grip AND lying prone. Seems like the only thing that reduces recoil is the bipod.

All the player models look pretty cool, except for the Marines Recon skin, it looks like a sickly mutant for some reason and extremely out of place, like something from Borderlands.

[quote name='kiwimonster']I've been playing the game for 4 hours now on and off. I have to agree with seanr. I loved BC2 but this beta for BF3 seems like a step backwards from BC2 almost feels MOH'ish. The movement feels extremely clunky and not fluid at all. And for BF main niche was destructible environments and awesome vehicles why include one map that has no vehicles or little to no destruction on it. Wtf?[/QUOTE]

Anyone else notice the explosions and sparking features look extremely pixelated? I know I am not on a Beast PC but come on now.

[quote name='hustletron']This isn't a beta, just because there's an obnoxious little icon in the top right corner that says "BETA" doesn't make it a beta.

If this is a beta build then EA and DICE are in for a huge shit storm if the final build looks and plays like this because this is pathetic considering the hype and the length of development time they had.

If the FrostBite 2 engine is so awesome it should be no problem scaling it back for the lesser hardware of the consoles, but they still manage to have screen tearing, missing textures, massive amounts of glitches, the mysterious black screen when you first join a game that doesn't go away and prevents your from playing, the soft walls and ground, and the stuff I mentioned in my last post then incorporate the lag in most of the matches that weren't even full.

And all this was just from about 5 games. I got killed by someone that was underneath the map one game. Another game there was a dead team mate's body on the floor, the pistol was out of the holster and firing in random directions while the body was just lying there.

Then there's also this obnoxious screen flickering, I don't even know how to explain it, it constantly flashes a bright orange for split seconds but it keeps doing it randomly.

The alpha on the PC played better than this.

Aside from the all the technical bullshit, the game doesn't feel right. The assault class AK takes way too many rounds to kill someone it seems, the 8x scope you get on it doesn't even really make it more accurate. There's no real indication of you getting shot at most times until you're dead which is odd because it's not hardcore.

All the weapons seem like they spray too wildly and we're supposed to be playing as trained soldiers, I would have expected the recoil to be more controlled even when firing in bursts AND with a grip AND lying prone. Seems like the only thing that reduces recoil is the bipod.

All the player models look pretty cool, except for the Marines Recon skin, it looks like a sickly mutant for some reason and extremely out of place, like something from Borderlands.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've had all these same problems. I thought the screen flickering was my TV but its not. Flashes white every few seconds like it is sending me subliminal messages. I wondered the same thing why the Marine Recon looked like a blind mutant or something.

Loving the gameplay so far. Far superior to BC2. The fluidity of movement is great. I'm glad the waddling underwater is gone. The guns have a lot of recoil, but that's fine with me. The health seems lower than COD now though. I understand they have to change it to compete with COD, but this seems too low. Guns kill way too fast.

I hate Rush, I don't like the Metro map, and I don't like how everyone camps in bushes.

I guess maybe my gun is the one that takes forever to kill people from range, I don't have too much of a problem close quarters but it seems like I die super fast while people eat a lot of bullets. Maybe I'm just cursed in FPS.

I really want to like the beta although I'm hoping the release build is far superior to this one.

Another thing I forgot to mention is it seems like the visuals are really blurry all the time. It's weird.

Yea it sucks I keep getting blue screen as alive and perfectly clear when I die....

First impression is BLAH but i'm a COD guy gonna play some more I do have fun in BF games.

Played a handful games and I wasn't very impressed. Very glitchy and I agree with Trakan about the low health. Gonna try it on PC in a few days but I doubt I will pick this up right away. Maybe later on down the road for $20 or $30 but I think I am skipping the military shooters on release day this year.

bread's done
Back