Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Discussion

[quote name='Jodou']So this game has been completely dead to me since RDR came out. Are they ever planning on patching the PC again with the tons of changes they've been making on consoles? It's been nearly two months now and I haven't heard shit about support for us. Guess they were too busy making an expansion.

Wonder if they'll call it Bad Company 2: The Rest of the Game.[/QUOTE]

What's RDR?

I am playing it, it is still fun. I think not paying attention to the changes they've been doing on the consoles is the reason I am not upset.

[quote name='Actionhank']What's RDR?

I am playing it, it is still fun. I think not paying attention to the changes they've been doing on the consoles is the reason I am not upset.[/QUOTE]

Red Dead Redemption.

I haven't touched the game in a while, I definitely felt it was a good purchase but all too often I just die by something that does not amuse me and ragequit. I'll definitely nab Vietnam if it's appropriately priced though.

Which reminds me, no one has said it but upcoming expansion BFBC2: Vietnam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bfbc2-gets-vietnam-set-dlc-expansion

This is on sale today on Steam for $33.49 if anyone needs an excuse. Is it true that recent patches made this incredibly laggy, though?

I was hoping for some BF3 announcement at E3 but I guess they're still going full speed ahead with BC2. :whistle2:|

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Red Dead Redemption.

I haven't touched the game in a while, I definitely felt it was a good purchase but all too often I just die by something that does not amuse me and ragequit. I'll definitely nab Vietnam if it's appropriately priced though.

Which reminds me, no one has said it but upcoming expansion BFBC2: Vietnam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bfbc2-gets-vietnam-set-dlc-expansion[/QUOTE]

Oh Red Dead; I'll definitely pick that game up some time in the future. My backlog is too big though because of all these Steam sales... And I just added Fallout 3 to it this week.:)

Yeah the expansion looks promising, but Battlefield Vietnam left a bad taste in my mouth a long time ago. We'll see. Of course by then Medal of Honor will be out.

[quote name='metaly']This is on sale today on Steam for $33.49 if anyone needs an excuse. Is it true that recent patches made this incredibly laggy, though?

I was hoping for some BF3 announcement at E3 but I guess they're still going full speed ahead with BC2. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

The new patch seemed to make it laggy for me. But then I also did a fresh Windows 7 install from Vista. It turns out my wireless adapter wasn't playing well with Windows 7. When I bought a Dlink dap-1522 from Fry's last Sunday the game started to run smooth as butter.

I realized it was the adapter and not the game when I fired up CS Source and got the same rubber banding lag effect. Oddly other applications like Skype had no lag at all.

This is one heck of a game I ordered a copy from downloadnplay.com and got a scanned cd key after 20 minutes for about 22$ great deal! worth every cent.

[quote name='Zoglog']finaaaaaaaaaaaaaly upgraded to a core i7 from my old core 2 duo. Makes a huge difference in performance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the game is insanely processor intensive, I OC'd my CPU by like 10-15% and my frames went up by so much.

How easy is it to find kills in this game? I bought BF2 about 2 weeks ago, and I found the maps to be too big for my tastes (and not enough action). Is there more action in BC2? I will probably go and pick this one up tomorrow, my good friend plays it anyway.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']How easy is it to find kills in this game? I bought BF2 about 2 weeks ago, and I found the maps to be too big for my tastes (and not enough action). Is there more action in BC2? I will probably go and pick this one up tomorrow, my good friend plays it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Much easier than BF2 I'd say. In BF2, you only had the beginning spawn point and the command points to spawn off of. What's nice about BC2 is that you can spawn on any squadmates still alive. So there is A LOT less spawning at the command point, running towards where the action is and then getting sniped by somebody you'll never see. Of course, if no squadmates are still alive, then you have to spawn at the last spawn point. But it doesn't take nearly as long to get back into the action as it does in BF2.

Careful though, don't be so anxious to get back into the action that you spawn on a squadmate who is getting shot at by a tank and 3 guys. That's just giving the other team points.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Much easier than BF2 I'd say. In BF2, you only had the beginning spawn point and the command points to spawn off of. What's nice about BC2 is that you can spawn on any squadmates still alive. So there is A LOT less spawning at the command point, running towards where the action is and then getting sniped by somebody you'll never see. Of course, if no squadmates are still alive, then you have to spawn at the last spawn point. But it doesn't take nearly as long to get back into the action as it does in BF2.

Careful though, don't be so anxious to get back into the action that you spawn on a squadmate who is getting shot at by a tank and 3 guys. That's just giving the other team points.[/QUOTE]

It also makes it harder to "clean" a command point of enemies. Sometimes it feels like trying to squish cockroaches the way they keep respawning on themselves.

It also makes it very frustrating when there is a squad of medics and just before you kill one suddenly 2 spawns on him and they revive him and starts unleashing their full auto snipers into your little body.

Unless you are an engi then you can throw a rocket at them and be done with it.

The smaller maps also comes with a price. Some of the chokepoints are just ridiculous if the defenders are somewhat decent. Like the chokepoint between base 2 och 3 on Port Valdez. If the defenders are good you are pretty much doomed, at least in the beta you could flank them by using the mountains but that option was gone when the full release was out.

Those are the downsides and can be frustrating. But I'd still rather deal with that than have to run for 2 minutes looking for action and then being sniped and have to do it all over again. It wouldn't be so bad if teammates would actually wait for you to get into a vehicle...

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Those are the downsides and can be frustrating. But I'd still rather deal with that than have to run for 2 minutes looking for action and then being sniped and have to do it all over again. It wouldn't be so bad if teammates would actually wait for you to get into a vehicle...[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree there, just bought BC2 just because of the fact that I don't have to run for two minutes to find action.

Although I am trying to figure out why the BC2 updater is taking up half of my processor (All 4 cores at at least 50%).

An update has been released:

All game servers will need to be taken down for updates. The maintenance period starts on Wednesday Jun 30th at 07:00AM (GMT+2). Most of them should be back up by 11:00AM (GMT+2).

Changelog:

Server - Some potential sources for lag/rubberbanding have been eliminated
Server - The old reserved slots has been replaced by a kick-on-demand system like in BF2
Server - Log file for server admins: all remote admin interface commands/events are logged
Server - Log file for server admins: major server events + all chat messages are logged
Server - Idle kick is controllable
Server - Profanity filter can be disabled
Server - Teamkill-kick system is controllable
Server - Ticket counts and bleed rate are controllable per-level
Server - Infantry only mode available per-level
Server - Initial spawn delay and respawn delay are adjustable
Server - Server description can be up to 400 characters, and use "|" for line breaks
Server - Banlist can contain up to 10.000 entries
Server - reduced latency in packet handling

Admin Interface - fixed the player.onKill spam that occasionally happened
Admin Interface - ensured that player.onJoin events always report the player name
Admin Interface - events triggered when people spawn
Admin Interface - much more info on kills
Admin Interface - detailed stats are reported at end-of-round

Gameplay - Various minor level bugfixes
Gameplay - Helicopter handling has been tweaked
Gameplay - Weapon tweaks have been implemented based on PC public feedback
Gameplay - Tracer dart gun speed has been changed from 300 m/s to 200 m/s
Gameplay - Fixed technical hang when a crate was armed outside of the combat area
Gameplay - "Victory is near" message was shown for the wrong team on Valparaiso, this has been fixed
Gameplay - Countermeasures can be fired when driving a helicopter
Gameplay - The brightness of the pilot view in the Russian helicopter has been reduced
Gameplay - Advanced Spotting scope works better
Gameplay - Knifing people in the back works again (we backed out the change that we had done for Server R11)
Gameplay - Hit box for moving targets expands based on the speed of the targets movement
Gameplay - G36 now has crosshair when in Hardcore mode

Server Browser - Servers are sorted into 3 categories: Normal, Modified, Hardcore depending on their settings
Server Browser - Added support for retrieving update progress
Server Browser - Now refreshes information
Server Browser - Join queue system when attempting to join a full server
Server Browser - All settings are automatically saved between sessions
Server Browser - Pings are sent via an alternate mechanism, which should work for non-Administrator users as well

Client - Fixed DX9 issue, which likely caused graphics glitches and perhaps crashes
Client - Fixed some crashes
Client - Toggle/hold crouch is user controllable
Client - Toggle/hold zoom is user controllable
Client - Vsync bugfixed for DX10/DX11
Client - Rewritten how settings are written to disk; this should reduce/eliminate the spawn lag
Client - Fixed bug where a player could join a server before the stats has been downloaded causing faulty stats in "EOR- unlock progression"-screen
Client - New chat system allows chatting when dead (but not during end of round) and keeps a 100 lines log
Client - Improved Play Now functionality
Client - Removed K/D ratio and Skill Level filters in the leaderboards
Client - Any points you get while being dead will be added to your score
Client - Reduced negative mouse acceleration
Client - Increased health on the Cobra to match other vehicles
Client - More informative disconnection/kick reasons
Client - Support for Map Packs so PC gets future VIP maps at the same time as consoles

The Balance tweaks are as followed:
Slightly increased the damage of the UZI at long range.
The AKs74u now has more felt recoil when aiming.
The G3, VSS, and all SemiAutomatic rifles now settle slightly faster between shots when aiming.
The PKM, Type 88LMG, G3, An94, and 40mm shotgun have returned to their former glory.
Increased the damage of the MG3 to bring it in line with the rest of the LMGs.
Fixed a bug where the Saiga12 with slugs would do too much damage at long range.
Fixed a bug where the SVU would do too little damage at long range.
Fixed a bug where M95 rounds would not kill armored targets with headshots.

I still wish they would nerf the lmg's or maybe add "tactical reload" to assault & engie.
heli is nicer to fly now though and finally toggle crouch :D

However my friend still cant play the game because of how fubar they made it, still crashes which imo is unacceptable.
Not only does it crash but he has to reboot because of it.

Did they fix the bug where for some players if they close the game, the process still stays in task manager taking up like 300k of memory? I have that problem and it's annoying.

Also is anyone getting updates from statverse? I want to find my stats there but I am still not on the site, I registered my soldier yesterday but still.

One last thing, why does the updater use up so much processor power? It is literally using 40-50% of all my cores to update it. Seems like a bug since it's just updating the game.

[quote name='Jodou']Glad they got the patch out but I'm not sure I even want to play anymore, heh.[/QUOTE]

Hehe I know the feeling. I stopped a few weeks after the previous patch got released and I've been waiting since. Now I'm not sure anymore...the wanting to play kinda left me.

Hey guys, I just got this game today (non-steam) and I'm having a hell of a time staying connected to EA's servers... I can join a game, but maybe 1-5 minutes after it kicks me because I "Lost connection to EA's servers"

It's really frustrating. I DMZ'ed my PC so I doubt it's a port issue. And I turned off the firewall/virus protection. Any suggestions? Is this a common issue even?

Here's my setup...

Windows 7 x64 pro
4 gig ram
AMD phenom II x4 at 3.2
ATI Raedon 4850
Wired internet
EDIT: My router is running DD-WRT

[quote name='tokitoki50']Hey guys, I just got this game today (non-steam) and I'm having a hell of a time staying connected to EA's servers... I can join a game, but maybe 1-5 minutes after it kicks me because I "Lost connection to EA's servers"

It's really frustrating. I DMZ'ed my PC so I doubt it's a port issue. And I turned off the firewall/virus protection. Any suggestions? Is this a common issue even?

Here's my setup...

Windows 7 x64 pro
4 gig ram
AMD phenom II x4 at 3.2
ATI Raedon 4850
Wired internet
EDIT: My router is running DD-WRT[/QUOTE]

Try updating punkbuster, I had the same problem as you and it was Punkbuster that was kicking me off the servers.

Fix here http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Got it working, but damn am I awful at this game. I can't snipe or hit the broad side of the barn, the only time I get kills is with the pistol. Any tips for a noob? And are there any particular servers you guys play on?

[quote name='tokitoki50']Got it working, but damn am I awful at this game. I can't snipe or hit the broad side of the barn, the only time I get kills is with the pistol. Any tips for a noob?[/QUOTE]
Just realize that all rifles have drop and a pinch of flight time. Accuracy will tell you what to expect in terms of drop, but after a certain distance all bullets will lose velocity. I recommend just being a forward recon to start, staying on the front-line until you get the Type-88. At that range, just aim square on the head. Having a semi-auto rifle will allow you to physically see where your shots are landing and greatly aids adjustment. Bolt action sucks when learning because when you miss, you get zero feedback where you missed.

Keep deploying motion balls wherever fighting is going on, even if they're completely visible, because you'll rack up massive points for every kill and spot done. Also, switch to mortar strikes once they're available and drop them on tanks, other sniper positions, or bombsites constantly. For me, it's usually a free kill every two minutes.

So...

Lately there are two ways that I die. sniped by PP2000s with 4x scope, and sniped by shotguns saiga mostly with the occasional neostead.

That and two nights in a row I get on only to have the team I am on get totally raped (playing conquest). And even more so I seem to fall into some bullet magnet state where I am constantly shot in the head and am often blown away as soon as I spawn. I was ending matches with 4/20 k/d ratio.

The last part is just run bad luck to the Nth degree. Which for me works like herpes; pops up from time to time. It's funny though because my twin brother has the opposite issue, luck so fucking out of this world that I am counting down the days until he wins lottery not by playing it, but by finding the winning ticket on the sidewalk. I was playing with him and watching his skill-less ass go 23/6 while I was getting straight raped.

This concludes my rant. How about some details on BFBC2: Vietnam already? Sheesh!

Been trying to play this with a friend again recently...Jesus Christ this game is still as horrible as it was at launch. Everyone fucking camps no matter the game mode, everyone uses a grenade launcher or rocket launcher, and the M60 is still better than every sniper rifle in the game.

Horrendous game is horrendous. DICE can suck my balls after this piece of trash. fuck BF3 and fuck MOH.

Haha, I quit months ago and never looked back. Dice is full of empty promises and broken gameplay. Their games are fun for a while, but without proper support it just dies like the first L4D did.

I will say, the game runs much better than it did. I'm not sure if that falls on DICE for optimizing the game or ATI for getting some good drivers out there (judging by the game patches, I'm going to go with the latter option).

The game is gorgeous but aside from that, it's a gigantic piece of shit.

[quote name='SEH']It is, along with it's huge FOUR map total.[/QUOTE]

wait.....was EA planning on actually selling a separate disc for this ? or is this DLC like I thought it would be

so its not gonna be free ?

BC2: Vietnam wont be free. I also don't believe it's being sold as an expansion. It's a standalone game, with probably a full retail price tag ($60) or close to it

[quote name='SEH']BC2: Vietnam wont be free. I also don't believe it's being sold as an expansion. It's a standalone game, with probably a full retail price tag ($60) or close to it[/QUOTE]

:cry::cry:

[quote name='SEH']It is, along with it's huge FOUR map total.[/QUOTE]
I can't wait for the map packs where they unlock the rest of the game. Disc Locked Content FTL!

[quote name='Jodou']I can't wait for the map packs where they unlock the rest of the game. Disc Locked Content FTL![/QUOTE]

But dude, it's free DLC brah.

If they couldn't even be bothered to deliver the camo kit DLC they promised Dr. Pepper for the promo in February, I really doubt we'll ever see new weapons.

[quote name='Jodou']If they couldn't even be bothered to deliver the camo kit DLC they promised Dr. Pepper for the promo in February, I really doubt we'll ever see new weapons.[/QUOTE]

Well there are going to be new weapons and shit in this expansion. It's got a whole new set of unlocks.

And could someone please tell me why this game lacks a map that urban center? Yeah there are little huddles of building on every map, but why not a balls to wall cityscape?

I would laugh so hard if they were too lazy to even use correct weapons for Vietnam and just brought over the BC2 ones.

[quote name='SEH']I would laugh so hard if they were too lazy to even use correct weapons for Vietnam and just brought over the BC2 ones.[/QUOTE]
Or they didn't bother to reskin the M16 and M60, because they were in the war.

New map pack coming and, wait for it. . .IT'S ACTUALLY NEW MAPS! Kind of. . .

Two are from the original Bad Company MP and two are from levels of BC2 SP. Where the fuck was this during summer when I had nothing to play? This would be worth playing again if not for the 5+ games I have that just came out. Sigh. . .

[quote name='Jodou']New map pack coming and, wait for it. . .IT'S ACTUALLY NEW MAPS! Kind of. . .

Two are from the original Bad Company MP and two are from levels of BC2 SP. Where the fuck was this during summer when I had nothing to play? This would be worth playing again if not for the 5+ games I have that just came out. Sigh. . .[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, brother...I feel your pain.

For some reason game developers create an artificial drought in the summer thinking no one wants to buy their games and instead release around the holidays so their title can flounder when it's stood up against the likes of Call of Duty Black Ops, Fable III, and Rock Band 3.

bread's done
Back