Battlefield Bad Company 2; Vietnam (1200 points) out; plus 4 new free maps

[quote name='Draekon']Dr. Pepper Codes give:

SPECACT Upgrade Bundle [4 kit specific uniforms and camo weapons]
SPECACT Assault Upgrade [Unique uniform & camo M16A2]
SPECACT Engineer Upgrade [Unique uniform & camo UMP-45]
SPECACT Medic Upgrade [Unique uniform & camo MG3]
SPECACT Recon Upgrade [Unique uniform & camo M95]

They should be obtainable through (Don't think they're up yet): http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/

The in-game store shows they should be available to "buy" I assume 03/18 if you don't get any Dr. Pepper Codes to get it for free however.[/QUOTE]

LOL r u in wrong thread ?

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']LOL r u in wrong thread ?[/QUOTE]

LOL look two replies above mine. I just didn't quote him, but for your convenience, I'll go and quote him.

[quote name='tenma']I just came in here to say that I'm looooooving this game. Haven't touched the multiplayer yet (got it mainly for the single player), but it's been an excellent experience so far. I figured that with such high expectations and never having played the first game I should be ready for a letdown, but luckily this isn't the case. I've been looking for an FPS with as gripping of a single player campaign as CoD4 and after the colossal letdown of MW2 I was really thinking that I wouldn't find another title with such an excellent balance of pacing and gameplay. I'm taking my time with BC2, but I've enjoyed every minute of it.

The only criticism that I have is that the checkpoints seem too far apart at times. If the game wasn't as fun as it is it'd probably bother me more.[/QUOTE]

I feel the exact opposite after the first two levels. The campaign seems uninspiring and a little boring. The gameplay felt a little awkward and clunky as well (aiming). Could possibly be due to playing it half-asleep or that the last 3 FPS games I've played all the way through were CoD4, WaW, and MW2 and I just need to get used to BF. Will be playing it again tonight and hoping for a better experience.

Side Note: Is it just me, or does the campaign story assume you have played BFBC1?

All I have to say is, screw normal mode.......hardcore mode is where it's at. I am so in love with that mode. No Hud, No crosshairs, No radar, FF is on. I will be playing Hardcore Rush non stop now.

[quote name='paddlefoot']

Side Note: Is it just me, or does the campaign story assume you have played BFBC1?[/QUOTE]

the opposite. It makes no mention of any of the first game's story like
how you ran off with a truckload of gold at the end of the first one.

It makes me wonder if the third game will bother even playing off the end of the second game. Don't read if you haven't beaten it yet:
The russian invasion of Alaska

I know this isn't the right thread but its relevant enough, I just tried to redeem a Dr Pepper code and BC2 isn't listed as a choice. I'm guessing it will appear on 3/18.

Back OT, I got disconnected from the EA servers mid game last night and couldn't get back on for about 30 mins, which sucked. Gave me a chence to try the single player though.

Can I get the Garand without owning the old PC Battlefield games? Such bullshit, that should have been a reward for owning 1943.

Has anyone had a problem with loading the map, than booting back to dashboard? had that happen a couple times last night. assumed it was full server or something, but weird that there was no message.

i have an extra VIP code, and aks/squad rush code. Want paypal, send pm

[quote name='Mojimbo']Can I get the Garand without owning the old PC Battlefield games? Such bullshit, that should have been a reward for owning 1943.[/QUOTE]

Eventually when they fix 1943 you'll have your Garand :roll:, but for others who have been playing since 1942 and actually kept all the same info and everything .....It's awesome as recon with Mortar Strike :bouncy:

[quote name='JnJosh']Has anyone had a problem with loading the map, than booting back to dashboard? had that happen a couple times last night. assumed it was full server or something, but weird that there was no message.[/QUOTE]

Yup, happened 4 times yesterday so i just gave up and went to play Borderlands.

How do the Dr Pepper codes work? Do you just collect Dr Pepper caps and then you can choose what DLC you want, or does it provide you with whatever DLC codes it wants to give you?

Everytime I try and find a game is says it cannot find one try again later? What the hell I played online yesterday afternoon for about 3 hours tried last night it wont let me now its the afternoon again and it still cant find a game does anyone know whats going on.

[quote name='The3amJunkie']Everytime I try and find a game is says it cannot find one try again later? What the hell I played online yesterday afternoon for about 3 hours tried last night it wont let me now its the afternoon again and it still cant find a game does anyone know whats going on.[/QUOTE]

EA's servers are always wonky the first few days a game comes out (specifically Battlefield and Madden)

Try going back to Dashboard and restarting the game, or restarting your Xbox. That helped me yesterday .. at least it appeared to, since I couldnt connect to EA's servers the first time. Second time said I could connect, but failed to find a game. Third time was the charm.

This piece of shit is even more unbalanced than MW2. Whos fucking idea was it to actually make tank turret gunners completely invulnerable while also making tanks take 4-5 rockets to kill? And you can't flank a tank that has a turret gunner, and can't kill said turret gunner. Mounted anti tank weapons are out in the open where a sniper can pick you off without even thinking. So if theres someone even remotely skilled and I use that word very very loosely, in a tank, you literally follow the exact same cycle until someone gets lucky and manages to get close enough to get c4 on it, or until a rocket finally gets through its armor, about 20 deaths later. Not even going to begin bitching about the fact you die damn near instantly, even in normal mode. Think I'll stick to MAG for my online shooter until this is patched, much more consistant.

[quote name='Flak']I should have paid for release date shipping. Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy =/[/QUOTE]

NO you should buy Amazon PRIME =D

Anyone know if there's a 2 player co-op for the campaign/story mode?? I'm anxious to play a game with a friend. Thanks!

(My first post!)

[quote name='HydroX']How do the Dr Pepper codes work? Do you just collect Dr Pepper caps and then you can choose what DLC you want, or does it provide you with whatever DLC codes it wants to give you?[/QUOTE]

yup, collect caps and I know with Mass Effect it sorta just gave me DLC. Not sure how it will work for BC2 how ever. I will be having some caps left over once I distribute accordingly

[quote name='drbutchevil']This piece of shit is even more unbalanced than MW2. Whos fucking idea was it to actually make tank turret gunners completely invulnerable while also making tanks take 4-5 rockets to kill? And you can't flank a tank that has a turret gunner, and can't kill said turret gunner. Mounted anti tank weapons are out in the open where a sniper can pick you off without even thinking. So if theres someone even remotely skilled and I use that word very very loosely, in a tank, you literally follow the exact same cycle until someone gets lucky and manages to get close enough to get c4 on it, or until a rocket finally gets through its armor, about 20 deaths later. Not even going to begin bitching about the fact you die damn near instantly, even in normal mode. Think I'll stick to MAG for my online shooter until this is patched, much more consistant.[/QUOTE]

See ya! Have fun! One less person to hear complaining in this thread and game.\\:D/

[quote name='drbutchevil']This piece of shit is even more unbalanced than MW2. Whos fucking idea was it to actually make tank turret gunners completely invulnerable while also making tanks take 4-5 rockets to kill? And you can't flank a tank that has a turret gunner, and can't kill said turret gunner. Mounted anti tank weapons are out in the open where a sniper can pick you off without even thinking. So if theres someone even remotely skilled and I use that word very very loosely, in a tank, you literally follow the exact same cycle until someone gets lucky and manages to get close enough to get c4 on it, or until a rocket finally gets through its armor, about 20 deaths later. Not even going to begin bitching about the fact you die damn near instantly, even in normal mode. Think I'll stick to MAG for my online shooter until this is patched, much more consistant.[/QUOTE]

Really? I see anyone in a tank as a sitting duck. Even though i can never get a tracer to work right, i still tag it for the easy points.

Best thing about the MP in this game?

Everything. The sound is fantastic, the animations are spot on, shooting feels great, maps are nice, vehicles work well (although I too spent about 15 deaths shooting solely at a helicopter with a mounted turret that seem to have unlimited health.

The bad thing?

Its not MAG.

I know you guys dont want to trash up the thread with comparison and such but when you talk about a tactical objective based game MAG is just so far superior. 12 on 12 just doest cut it for me anymore.....as much explosions and building crumbling around me I just felt bored.

The game still has that problem of complete silence. I played around 15 games and only heard 2 or 3 sentences through out the entire time. I rarely seen that many of my squad mates and even less of the enemy. There is also that feel that everyone is off doing their own thing partly because no one seems to be talking and partly because 1/3 of both teams are snipers, 1/3 are in some type of vehicle and the rest are just running around.

[quote name='iamdestruktor']Anyone know if there's a 2 player co-op for the campaign/story mode?? I'm anxious to play a game with a friend. Thanks!

(My first post!)[/QUOTE]

Nope, no co-op.

While you're driving the WAAAAAHHHHmbulance take it right out of this thread and right off a cliff.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to take out a tank. Learn how to play the game before you critique it.

One single rocket can take out a tank. Or if you suck at life, it'll take 4-5 to take it down. If you see someone repairing it, kill him when he pops out to repair it. Simple as that.

That being said though, thank you for rage quitting this game and please go back to MW2 with your heartbeat sensor. kthxbaiz

I am pretty sure he said he was going back to MAG not MW2. That statement says a lot about you my friend.

I beat the campaign. It was good but didn't feel as kick ass as MW2, it was even kinda short, if you took out the driving parts it might actually be shorter. Played the MP for a short while and wow, its going to take me forever to get all those achievements =( Played like 6 games and couldn't hit rank 1.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am pretty sure he said he was going back to MAG not MW2. That statement says a lot about you my friend.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I know what he said. That doesn't mean I *have* to say "go back to MAG poopyhead!" He belongs in the MW2 crowd if all he's going to do is cry that this game is "too hard" or things are "completely invincible". Nothing is unkillable and people on turrets are simple to take out. There are times where it's mindless gameplay and then there are times like that (facing a turret) where you have to play smart. Apparently, that guy wasn't playing smart.

And .. that statement says a lot about him, my friend.

Edit: Also, I was wondering when the almighty Soodmeg was going to come in here and poop on this game, as you do every major release..... Oh, wait, you liked it? Really? Shocker!!

I think that when most people dislike this game, it's because they expect to be able to dominate everything solo. There is a reason tanks are more effective than infantry. If tanks were as powerful and fragile as infantry, there is no reason to even use tanks. There is a reason a tank team (driver and gunner) is more powerful than one person shooting rockets at the nose of a tank. Working as a team works wonders in this game. With the squad I usually played with in BC, it was not uncommon for us to rack up 1500-2000+ points per game while the competition rarely ever broke 1000. Another thing about this game is that there are times you need to die. Going 20-0 as a Recon attacker sniping people from 500 feet back isn't as helpful as the Recon defender suicide-C4-ing attacking tanks, stopping them from getting near crates. In Rush, as an attacker, if there is one crate remaining in a set, it is highly probable that whoever arms the bomb isn't going to make it out alive. Re-enforcements need to get over to the crate to prevent the defenders from defusing.

Fwiw in regards to Butch's post, it take 4-5 rockets to kill a tank if you are hitting it in the front, which is the most heavily armored part. It only requires 1-2 shots to the rear depending on the type of tank, and 3-4 for the side. Two people shooting rockets simultaneously at a tank can do damage to it faster than a lone engineer can repair it.

And because it seems like interest in this game has grown a bit, I'm going to repost this video again for the 100% Battlefield newbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks moojuice. Love that vid.

This game has completely killed my lust for wanting to buy MW2. Now the only reason I'd want it is to collect the MW2 HE steelbook, but that can wait til the Prestige Edition drops on Newegg sometime in the next 6 months.

[quote name='HydroX']Not really. I know what he said. That doesn't mean I *have* to say "go back to MAG poopyhead!" He belongs in the MW2 crowd if all he's going to do is cry that this game is "too hard" or things are "completely invincible". Nothing is unkillable and people on turrets are simple to take out. There are times where it's mindless gameplay and then there are times like that (facing a turret) where you have to play smart. Apparently, that guy wasn't playing smart.

Edit: Also, I was wondering when the almighty Soodmeg was going to come in here and poop on this game, as you do every major release..... Oh, wait, you liked it? Really? Shocker!![/QUOTE]

Didnt you just join the site? I am surprised that you already know of me as almighty!

Kidding. But I do like how people expect me to my comments on every new release.

EDIT: Wow, that is a fantastic video, very well made and edited. Is that from a website or just a random guy? Seems too good to be a random guy.

I noticed that my dogtag stats have carried over from the demo. My kills and medals and everything else is new, but my dogtag list from the demo remains.

[quote name='Puffa469']I noticed that my dogtag stats have carried over from the demo. My kills and medals and everything else is new, but my dogtag list from the demo remains.[/QUOTE]

Mine didn't, but meh. Not really a big deal either way.

For those of you that have gone far in the SP, does everything collectible show up on the mini map? There are a ton of houses and I can not fight the urge to run in every one of them looking for stuff.

Should I be under the impression that if there is no symbol on the mini map there is no point moving off the path?

The conversation in the game are $$$. Sarge explaining to hag why "the black man" says fiddie instead of Fifty is hilarious.

Sarge then talks about cage fighting which is equally hilarious.

[quote name='seanr1221']Are there no difficulty achievements for completing single player?[/QUOTE]

There is 1 achievement for finishing the last mission on hard, that's it. I already got all of the campaign achievements it was very easy.

[quote name='Admiral Moo']Can anyone find a game right now. It keeps coming up telling me no games are currently available.[/QUOTE]

Try restarting the game or jumping in single player and then hop out and try. Usually that should fix it.

[quote name='HydroX']Not really. I know what he said. That doesn't mean I *have* to say "go back to MAG poopyhead!" He belongs in the MW2 crowd if all he's going to do is cry that this game is "too hard" or things are "completely invincible". Nothing is unkillable and people on turrets are simple to take out. There are times where it's mindless gameplay and then there are times like that (facing a turret) where you have to play smart. Apparently, that guy wasn't playing smart.

Edit: Also, I was wondering when the almighty Soodmeg was going to come in here and poop on this game, as you do every major release..... Oh, wait, you liked it? Really? Shocker!![/QUOTE]

You should really work on your being a dick schtick. Right now you're just a notch above annoying but well below pissing me off. Congratulations on your reading comprehension skills though. I am just a tad bit annoyed and let down by the fact Battlefield 1943 was so balanced when it came to vehicles. They were dangerous, but balanced, in BC2 they really are far too powerful, perhaps because they are realistic. I know I wouldn't face down a heavy tank irl and live. Not entirely sure where you're getting the one rocket takes it out thing though. Fewest I have seen is 2 and thats directly in the ass end where there is no armor. However I'll give the game another chance, I noticed there are some armor upgrades, perhaps those will help with the whole instant death thing.

[quote name='freshzen']There is 1 achievement for finishing the last mission on hard, that's it. I already got all of the campaign achievements it was very easy.[/QUOTE]

Cool, then I'll just play through on easy to quickly experience it.

[quote name='drbutchevil']You should really work on your being a dick schtick. Right now you're just a notch above annoying but well below pissing me off. Congratulations on your reading comprehension skills though. I am just a tad bit annoyed and let down by the fact Battlefield 1943 was so balanced when it came to vehicles. They were dangerous, but balanced, in BC2 they really are far too powerful, perhaps because they are realistic. I know I wouldn't face down a heavy tank irl and live. Not entirely sure where you're getting the one rocket takes it out thing though. Fewest I have seen is 2 and thats directly in the ass end where there is no armor. However I'll give the game another chance, I noticed there are some armor upgrades, perhaps those will help with the whole instant death thing.[/QUOTE]

My goal wasn't to piss you off, it was to educate you in a fun, sarcastic fashion (all while being annoying, so job well done on my part. haha)

I've taken out a tank once (note: that says ONCE) with a single rocket. It was not damaged, and I hit it at about the 4 o'clock mark. I've been taken out with a single rocket as well, and wondered WTF just happened. The rocket that hit me was from a stationary AT though, so I'm not sure how much more powerful they are in comparison to a standard RPG-7.

It really annoys me when people cry that a game is too hard or things are "impossible" or "unkillable".

Instant death happens. Yeah, sometimes it's bullshit, but let me shoot you with an assault rifle with a short burst and we'll see how you feel afterwards. It's fairly realistic.

If you're going to give the game another chance, add some fellow CAGs and join a squad game or something. It'll help your experience with the game greatly, IMO. I've played with Pure Apathy a few times, as well as cheesco and BoneMonkey80 and we have fun times.

im going to throw my add me post in. ill be playing this almost exclusively. I have a headset and appreciate those who use theirs as well.

Why must this game's match making hate me so? The closest thing I've had to a full match is 7 on 12. Once. Single player has been surprisingly enjoyable, though.

bread's done
Back