Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series {Blu Ray}

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphix

CAGiversary!
Anyone know of the best deal for this series set. So far it will be sold on July 28th for 209.99, but there has to be better deals for this somehow. Anyone know of any?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thebob101']My CC was just charged for the set. I guess that means it is on it's way.[/QUOTE]
Glad you mentioned this. Just checked and my card has been charged as well!:applause:

I now have a pending charge on my credit card which was not there two days ago - I'm hoping I get the shipping notification soon. I really want to watch BSG again in HD!

The display box for the individual seasons and Cylon toy is of a much higher quality and construction than the actual product's cases. WTF were they thinking? They charged way too much to skimp on the packaging. It doesn't even look right on the shelf next to your other movies, and sure as shit won't look right if left in the original display box.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The display box for the individual seasons and Cylon toy is of a much higher quality and construction than the actual product's cases. WTF were they thinking? They charged way too much to skimp on the packaging. It doesn't even look right on the shelf next to your other movies, and sure as shit won't look right if left in the original display box.[/QUOTE]

Why does it matter? Who's going to be looking at the box when BSG is on?!

On a more serious note, I agree with you. I saw the collection at a BB near me and the outer cardboard looks like garbage.

I'm curious to see what the UK packaging is comparison to the US release. It's supposed to be region free and would be worth importing.

It was 102.98 GBP for me shipped, which was about $170.52 USD. Not a bad price for it, all told.

I'm still wondering what the chances are that they will rerelease this in a different box for the box set. I have about 90 bucks for of dvds to trade in to amazon so I chances are will use the credit for this set.

My CC was charged as well, but there's not change in the order status on the website... still shows as "Processing."

Hopefully with all the charges happening, it's just an update issue and the sets are on their way.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Why does it matter? Who's going to be looking at the box when BSG is on?!
[/QUOTE]
Because the discs are essentially housed in paper sleeves, granted they are glossy. But paper sleeves? Seriously.
[quote name='shrike4242']I'm curious to see what the UK packaging is comparison to the US release. It's supposed to be region free and would be worth importing.
[/QUOTE]
you haven't seen pics? It was also confirmed to have and episode guide.
9732597m.jpg

9732597l.jpg

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm curious to see what the UK packaging is comparison to the US release. It's supposed to be region free and would be worth importing.

It was 102.98 GBP for me shipped, which was about $170.52 USD. Not a bad price for it, all told.[/QUOTE]

Where did you order from Shrike?

Those pics of the UK packaging are sexy.

As I am unfamiliar with PAL/NTSC issues, these should work fine on a U.S. PS3 right?

[quote name='Archgarth']Where did you order from Shrike?

Those pics of the UK packaging are sexy.

As I am unfamiliar with PAL/NTSC issues, these should work fine on a U.S. PS3 right?[/QUOTE]I didn't place the order yet, I just went to www.amazon.co.uk and went through the order stage up to the end process, where it removed the VAT (all UK prices shows VAT automatically, and remove it if not going to the UK) and added in slow shipping from the UK to the US.

PAL / NTSC issues don't apply to BluRay discs, just if it's in the right region or not. I've seen multiple posts about it being not region locked, so until someone reviews it and posts that it's not region locked, I'm waiting it out. Universal seems to be less keen on region locking item than other vendors.

[quote name='shrike4242']PAL / NTSC issues don't apply to BluRay discs, just if it's in the right region or not. I've seen multiple posts about it being not region locked, so until someone reviews it and posts that it's not region locked, I'm waiting it out. Universal seems to be less keen on region locking item than other vendors.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not entirely true. If there's SD content on the Bluray disc, then it may be either in PAL or NTSC (since they have different standard resolutions for SD). But for the BSG set in particular, it was confirmed that all SD content was encoded in 480p (NTSC) and that it is not region locked. I already placed my preorder! This information is confirmed at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/pla...ar+galactica+complete+series+blu+ray+01+07+09

[quote name='silautumn']Well, that's not entirely true. If there's SD content on the Bluray disc, then it may be either in PAL or NTSC (since they have different standard resolutions for SD). But for the BSG set in particular, it was confirmed that all SD content was encoded in 480p (NTSC) and that it is not region locked. I already placed my preorder! This information is confirmed at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/pla...ar+galactica+complete+series+blu+ray+01+07+09[/QUOTE]
Good point about the SD content. Though, if it's NTSC-encoded, doesn't it screw over those with PAL DVD players? :whistle2:s

Your link above appears to be dead when I try to go to it.

Wow, DD finally sent me an e-mail saying my BSG Blu-ray order is being shipped. I guess I won't be looking into the UK box set now.

Does anyone who has this box set have ideas on how to better protect/store the discs from the flimsy packaging?

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Wow, DD finally sent me an e-mail saying my BSG Blu-ray order is being shipped. I guess I won't be looking into the UK box set now.

Does anyone who has this box set have ideas on how to better protect/store the discs from the flimsy packaging?[/QUOTE]

Unless you plan on sitting on the box from time to time, I don't see how your discs are going to get damaged while in the box ;).

After about a month I (like many here), got the shipping notification. It pays to be patient, eh?

The discs are protected fine in the packaging. The sleeve inserts are glossy, not abrasive, and the discs itself have that oily feeling protective layer. The discs are in no danger of getting scratched up. I think for me the issue is that I spent $200 and aside from the discs, the product looks like it costs $1.50. No episode guides either, so if you're looking for an episode featuring Boomer so you can get your spank on, you have to roll the dice and pick one.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good point about the SD content. Though, if it's NTSC-encoded, doesn't it screw over those with PAL DVD players? :whistle2:s

Your link above appears to be dead when I try to go to it.[/QUOTE]
PAL Blu-ray players and TVs can playback 480 resolution. We're the ones that get screwed. But yes the SD extras on the UK set are 480p.
[quote name='DarkRider23']So there's no Centaurion figure with the UK version? Lame.[/QUOTE]
ROFL. That's what buyers b!tch about the most in the US set. I would prefer the booklet with the episode guide over the figurine.

This may have been mentioned earlier but I couldn't find it. Is there a good episode guide somewhere out there on the internet that I can print out? One that looks good and like professional quality.

[quote name='crunchb3rry'] I think for me the issue is that I spent $200 and aside from the discs, the product looks like it costs $1.50. No episode guides either, so if you're looking for an episode featuring Boomer so you can get your spank on, you have to roll the dice and pick one.[/QUOTE]Yeah, that's exactly my issue with the whole thing, too. If this was a single season set for $50 or something, OK, whatever. But if you're rolling it out as this deluxe super set of the entire series, and you're charging this much for it, it's unforgivable to put it in flimsy, cheap-looking packaging. After seeing the UK packaging, I'm even more disgusted.

I wasn't even aware that there was no epiosde guide. I haven't gotten a shipping e-mail from DD yet; I'm thinking it might be time to cancel my order and get it from www.amazon.co.uk

[quote name='Danimal']Yeah, that's exactly my issue with the whole thing, too. If this was a single season set for $50 or something, OK, whatever. But if you're rolling it out as this deluxe super set of the entire series, and you're charging this much for it, it's unforgivable to put it in flimsy, cheap-looking packaging. After seeing the UK packaging, I'm even more disgusted.

I wasn't even aware that there was no epiosde guide. I haven't gotten a shipping e-mail from DD yet; I'm thinking it might be time to cancel my order and get it from www.amazon.co.uk[/QUOTE]

I finally decided to go with the UK release. At amazon.co.uk I went to check out and the price dropped lower at check out. It was listed as £114.88, but at checkout after shipping it came to £102.98 which is about $169.71. Can't complain about that!

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that shrike4242 had already mentioned this. I guess reading is important!

[quote name='tardoman']I finally decided to go with the UK release. At amazon.co.uk I went to check out and the price dropped lower at check out. It was listed as £114.88, but at checkout after shipping it came to £102.98 which is about $169.71. Can't complain about that!

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that shrike4242 had already mentioned this. I guess reading is important![/QUOTE]

I did this very same thing yesterday. I like the U.K. packaging and episode guide. I had to bite.

[quote name='Mobb One']you guys know that unless your ps3 or blu ray player is in PAL format, you wont be able to play the discs?[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as PAL or NTSC in the Hi-Def world. As long as you're region free you're fine.

I guess I waited too long to decide if I wanted to get the UK version or not, just got an email saying that my copy from deep discount shipped today.

I think I've decided to get the UK set and sell my US set. I was at Fry's yesterday and checked out the box and everything seems super flimsy and cheap. UK set looks a whole lot better.

i went ahead and cancelled mine the other day. the UK boxset looks way better, and for pretty much the same price as the US set, I can give up a centurion action figure

[quote name='Mobb One']you guys know that unless your ps3 or blu ray player is in PAL format, you wont be able to play the discs?[/QUOTE]
I addressed all of those (non)issues a page or two back.

when someone gets the uk set can they post picks of it. only ones i keep seeing are the artist rendering.

There is an unboxing video of both the US and the UK version on youtube. Check them out if you want to see either one.

My order from Deep Discount finally arrived today. I am very pleased to say that none of the discs were damaged in transit - not a scratch to be found. Considering the horror stories I'd heard - I am very relieved!

Ok so I put disc one of series one, on my netflix and watched it and loved it. I went out and bought the whole series now on Blueray and i'm amazed by how good it is. Is there anything im missing that the box set didn't have?

The only thing I think is missing is one of the series that were on the internet. Other then that I don't think much is missing.

As much shit as I'm going to read about me saying this I don't count "The Plan" as part of the series. Well I do but I don't. It is the Cylon's side of it all and even though it is the same story it also is different. So I count it but then I don't. Had "The Plan" been out when this came out I would be saying it is bull shit that it was not in it. However seeing how "The Plan" isn't going to be out till this fall I'm not that upset.

One other thing that I don't remember hearing about being in it is "The Last Fraken Special". Never was able to see all of it and would like to. Maybe the will rerelease this set with "The Plan", "The Last Fraken Special" and the webisodes that were not in this set.

Also the few episodes that are uncut when you watch all in order do they show the cut episode then the uncut then the next episode in the series? That always bothers me with box sets like this. I get to watching it and then the uncut version comes up after the cut and in some cases, like with Terminator: TSCC, still has the green screen.

Got mine Friday and I'm going to keep it. I do echo the sentiment that it's a pretty horrible box but I'm not a fan of the UK one either and don't feel like paying the extra 13 bucks.

I do think the UK box is better though and can certainly understand someone waiting for buckling and returning their set.

I don't get why Blu-Ray has to be some big circle jerk. Too many shows get like season 7 or 8 on Blu-Ray with no plans to put the rest out anytime soon. Like this one where we get 4.5 and nothing else for the immediate or longterm future. Or The Sopranos with 3 years of sitting with their thumbs up their ass before finally managing to deliver season 1.

Do it right or don't waste everyone's fucking time. I appreciate what Showtime did with Dexter. Making sure season 1 and 2 was out before 3. Or Lost coming through with 1 and 2 simultaneosly. you know HBO's gonna fuck us over and provide Sopranos season 2 a year from now and take another year between all the rest.

I got my Blu-ray box set in the mail from DD. It was packaged upside down so some of the discs had slid out, but they weren't scratched, fortunately.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I don't get why Blu-Ray has to be some big circle jerk. Too many shows get like season 7 or 8 on Blu-Ray with no plans to put the rest out anytime soon. Like this one where we get 4.5 and nothing else for the immediate or longterm future. Or The Sopranos with 3 years of sitting with their thumbs up their ass before finally managing to deliver season 1.

[/QUOTE]
I get where your coming from, but in all fairness, the entire series is an option on Blu-ray. I read somewhere that there is a rumor to release the rest in Nov. or Dec.

Be warned, some "extended episodes" are on the next disc. Look up the titles of the episodes that are extended and when you come to it on the disc, skip that episode. I watched a whole episode, put the next disc in, found the extended version, and just didn't watch it because I couldn't sit through the same episode again.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I don't get why Blu-Ray has to be some big circle jerk. Too many shows get like season 7 or 8 on Blu-Ray with no plans to put the rest out anytime soon. Like this one where we get 4.5 and nothing else for the immediate or longterm future. Or The Sopranos with 3 years of sitting with their thumbs up their ass before finally managing to deliver season 1.

Do it right or don't waste everyone's fucking time. I appreciate what Showtime did with Dexter. Making sure season 1 and 2 was out before 3. Or Lost coming through with 1 and 2 simultaneosly. you know HBO's gonna fuck us over and provide Sopranos season 2 a year from now and take another year between all the rest.[/QUOTE]
90% of the people that want Sopranos season 1 already have it on DVD and are satisfied with just that. Businesses, that's what studios are, must weigh that before releasing catalog titles on a more costlier format with a miniscule audience. And you should get your blood pressure checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back