BB - Free Xbox 360 and Halo 3 with $1200 Samsung 50" HDTV purchase

kofiguy

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Best Buy is offering $410 off the price of a Samsung HDTV when you purchase an Xbox 360 and Halo 3. (online only) Info here

You can choose a better TV or upgrade to an Elite or the Special edition 360 console, and you can upgrade to the version of Halo 3 you want, but it will only take $410 off. The discount appears when all three items are in the cart.

If you guys get this deal, get the protection plan because the bulbs WILL burn out and they cost $200 to replace.

I'm waiitng for my old CRT to die before I get another TV. Or if I get FiOS TV.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Thanks OP! I bought a S5086 model last year and it's been great for me. So I got my mom in on this deal. Even though it says "online only," I called the store and ordered it from them and they're shipping it with $37 extra taken off the total. The chic who answered makes commission, so she was more than happy to help me out with it.

50" DLP TV
Halo 3
360 Bundle with Top Spin 2
1600 360 Points
4 Year Service Plan
$100 Gift Card to NFLshop.com (you can buy Madden 08 there)
No interest for 3 years.
Over $25 in RZ Certificates[/quote]
Where do you see that it has 3 years no interest? I have both of the Best Buy Credit Cards, and the only deal similar to that I've found is the one in their add this week with the plasma TVs.

I will be buying this tonight if I can confirm the 3 years no interest part for Best Buy Card Holders.

[quote name='decon']If you guys get this deal, get the protection plan because the bulbs WILL burn out and they cost $200 to replace.

I'm waiitng for my old CRT to die before I get another TV. Or if I get FiOS TV.[/quote]

And one day you WILL get a house, buy a car, get married, get divorced and one day you WILL even die.
Your still rockin a CRT but you KNOW how these bulbs "WILL" burn out?
Well, you sir, get the last slice of pie.
Hey, one of my kitchen light bulbs went out the other day but I havent replaced it yet. I think I put it in there back in 2003. Should I go and pitch a fit with philips for making shitty bulbs?

My Samsung has its original bulb for well over 5,000 hours (18 months old). Listen to Kfoster1979 and use your resources, not what some kid at BB telss you after his 3 hours of training on selling PSP (protective service plans). I know because I used to work at BB part time back in the day.

OK guys, I am figuring out how to squeeze the most out of this deal if some of you are still on the edge of buying, this might push you over. Here we go:

Start by adding your main bundle the one in the OP's post:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat131300050003

- Samsung 50" DLP HDTV - $669.99 Free Shipping
- Microsoft - Xbox 360 Console System B4J-00107 - $349.99 Pick up in store for free shipping and to verify HDMI on the unit.
- Halo 3 - $59.99 Shipped free or pickup

- Microsoft - 1,600 Xbox Live Marketplace Points - $4.99 - Shipped free or pickup
This is only valid with halo 3 in your cart.

Ok here is an optional way to get $35 in gift cards for simply buying a Xbox Live sub card(i plan on selling the card for $40):

First, lets go to to

http://www.bestbuy.com/halo25

Since you've added a 360 and halo 3 all you need to add is:
- Microsoft Xbox Live Gold 13-Month Subscription with Collector's Series Halo 3 Card Design - $49.99 Backordered, so pick this up in store to qualify. You can also just order the regular 12 month subscription to qualify for this deal.

- Best Buy GC - $25 Gift Card - Free Shipping

Now just follow the link to
http://www.bestbuy.com/halo10

Add your $10 GC:
- Best Buy GC - $10 Gift Card - 0.00 Free Shipping

The 2 codes are showing as stacking for me, thus $35 in free GC's for purchasing a live subscription.

My grand total shows as $1,134.95 before tax

Don't forget your $100 gift to the NFL store by rebate.

Hmm Im still using a 32' Sony SD big @$$ tv and hey it works fine. We have had the thing since about 1995 and I dont worry about this bulb nonsense. My tv just works plaina and simple

[quote name='Ryukahn']Thanks a bunch Medium_Pimpin! Those extra gift cards will be great and made me jump on the purchase. :applause:[/QUOTE]

No problem, anything to force some of my fellow CAG's into financial debt buying useless crap.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I love the misinformation on CAG sometimes

What do you just believe what Best Buy tells you so you will buy the service plan?

1.) Bulbs are about 150.00 from Samsung http://www.samsungparts.com/parts_l...g_name=Parts and Accessories&category_name=TV

You can get them cheaper on Ebay,Amazon, and most home theater sites.

2.) Bulb life is ~ 8,000 to 10,000 hrs depending on how much you turn it off and on, settings (brightness etc), and heat keep it cool and ventilated.

You can get about 2 to 3 years out of a bulb with normal use[/QUOTE]

Id love to see your test menu actually list that 8000hr number.

Head over to avs forum and see how misinformed you are. Being in the high end of the spectrum for bulb life doesn't make it the expected bulb life. So the price of bulbs has gone down significantly, however that still doesn't make it a disirable attribute when combined with the rbe and lousy contrast.

In addition when I say 20 seconds thats the time it takes to get to full brightness on more worn in bulbs, which at this time would be half of its original brightness.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Id love to see your test menu actually list that 8000hr number.

Head over to avs forum and see how misinformed you are. Being in the high end of the spectrum for bulb life doesn't make it the expected bulb life. So the price of bulbs has gone down significantly, however that still doesn't make it a disirable attribute when combined with the rbe and lousy contrast.

In addition when I say 20 seconds thats the time it takes to get to full brightness on more worn in bulbs, which at this time would be half of its original brightness.[/QUOTE]

Bull Ship is right on the roughly 15-20 for a TV to come fully on.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Where do you see that it has 3 years no interest? I have both of the Best Buy Credit Cards, and the only deal similar to that I've found is the one in their add this week with the plasma TVs.

I will be buying this tonight if I can confirm the 3 years no interest part for Best Buy Card Holders.[/quote]

Just call your local store (or the 1888bestbuy # or whatever) and tell them what you're doing. Ask them if its 3 yrs with no interest if you pay with your card.

[quote name='jezebelseven']Any tips on how to start out this conversation? I've never ordered from BB over the phone (wasn't even aware that was possible), and I'm very tempted to bite if I can just get the 3 years no interest deal, but I don't want to call and make it obvious that I'm doing something I imagine they normally don't do.

I'm tempted to go in store and see if they can work anything out for me, but I don't know how obvious to be with what I'm trying to do, or if there's anyone in particular I should be sweet talking.[/quote]

I just called without plans on ordering it on the phone. Call your local best buy and ask to speak to the home theatre dept. I just called to ask if the deal was going on in store too (which it's not, but you never know if they'll allow it or not). I wanted to know if it was in store or not because there is a coupon online for 10% off tvs $399 or $499 and up. She said the coupon couldn't work with the halo 360 deal because they're two separate offers. She then said she could order everything for me over the phone. To which I didn't want to do because I was under the assumption I'd have to pick it up from the store. She told me she might be able to get me the whole deal for cheaper, so I let her figure out what she could and she did.

i did everything you mention, the $10 one shows up as free but I am being charged full price for the $25 gc.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']OK guys, I am figuring out how to squeeze the most out of this deal if some of you are still on the edge of buying, this might push you over. Here we go:

Start by adding your main bundle the one in the OP's post:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat131300050003

- Samsung 50" DLP HDTV - $669.99 Free Shipping
- Microsoft - Xbox 360 Console System B4J-00107 - $349.99 Pick up in store for free shipping and to verify HDMI on the unit.
- Halo 3 - $59.99 Shipped free or pickup

- Microsoft - 1,600 Xbox Live Marketplace Points - $4.99 - Shipped free or pickup
This is only valid with halo 3 in your cart.

Ok here is an optional way to get $35 in gift cards for simply buying a Xbox Live sub card(i plan on selling the card for $40):

First, lets go to to

http://www.bestbuy.com/halo25

Since you've added a 360 and halo 3 all you need to add is:
- Microsoft Xbox Live Gold 13-Month Subscription with Collector's Series Halo 3 Card Design - $49.99 Backordered, so pick this up in store to qualify. You can also just order the regular 12 month subscription to qualify for this deal.

- Best Buy GC - $25 Gift Card - Free Shipping

Now just follow the link to
http://www.bestbuy.com/halo10

Add your $10 GC:
- Best Buy GC - $10 Gift Card - 0.00 Free Shipping

The 2 codes are showing as stacking for me, thus $35 in free GC's for purchasing a live subscription.

My grand total shows as $1,134.95 before tax

Don't forget your $100 gift to the NFL store by rebate.[/quote]

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Id love to see your test menu actually list that 8000hr number.

In addition when I say 20 seconds thats the time it takes to get to full brightness on more worn in bulbs, which at this time would be half of its original brightness.[/quote]

Well I can't because I don't have 8000hrs on there, I have 2851hrs and I have had the TV over a year. (full discloser I own a Sony LCD RP kdf-50e2000) First I don't expect to get a "Full life" out of it much like contrast ratio the numbers come from perfect conditions. I agree my TV takes some time to warm up but its been the same the whole time I have owned it and yes it was new in a box sealed and there as been no change in the brightness. Also my CR is Fine and I have good Blacks, BTW Contrast Ratio is another overblown check box. All displays have pros and cons you don't like DLP fine don't, buy something else. After I use the hell out of this TV I will most likely buy a Plasma or a LED based DLP.

I tried the deal several different ways and it worked for me every time. Just play with it until the numbers look right. Helps to paste the links for the halo deals into your current best buy tab in your browser. That way your cart should show your current items.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']well that's good, this one's only $669.99[/quote]

Thanks for the extensive explanation from before... :applause: That's some EXCEPTIONAL CAGmanship there...

But Amazon pretty much kills every TV deal that's 50" 1080p and above. I'd much rather buy a more future-proof 1080p at $1620... but Amazon has it for $1270!!!! That's $350 less. Which generally kills the deal.

The only possible way to stretch a sweet deal out of this is to go with the cheapest TV (the 720p 50") for the $1135 you mentioned. Compare that to Amazon's $970, and you're basically getting a 360, Halo 3, Live Membership, and 1600 pts for only $165 more!!!!! :hot:

Now to decide if I'm willing to give up 1080p....

[quote name='iceblast21']Thanks for the extensive explanation from before... :applause: That's some EXCEPTIONAL CAGmanship there...

But Amazon pretty much kills every TV deal that's 50" 1080p and above. I'd much rather buy a more future-proof 1080p at $1620... but Amazon has it for $1270!!!! That's $350 less. Which generally kills the deal.

The only possible way to stretch a sweet deal out of this is to go with the cheapest TV (the 720p 50") for the $1135 you mentioned. Compare that to Amazon's $970, and you're basically getting a 360, Halo 3, Live Membership, and 1600 pts for only $165 more!!!!! :hot:

Now to decide if I'm willing to give up 1080p....[/quote]

Under 50" and Setting back more then 7 feet then 1080p is not needed. But it's up to you the idea of future proofing is a good one. Take a look at this chart

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Under 50" and Setting back more then 7 feet then 1080p is not needed. But it's up to you the idea of future proofing is a good one. Take a look at this chart

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html[/quote]

Cool chart! :applause: I was actually floating around the net checking out opinions...

But that's just my problem - I'll be placing this puppy in a small room (my ARCADE), and I have a gamer rocking chair I'll be sitting on that's probably just over 5 feet away. Not a choice, just that the room is kind of small, and there's no rocking if I'm smack against the wall!

So I'm really wondering if the 720p would start to bug me or not. I'll be heading into ABT tomorrow to take a look at some TVs. I'll be the guy standing 2 feet away and STARING.... :drool: (at the TV - maybe a hot lady; but only when my wife isn't lookin'! Heh heh...)

The TV isnt good by itself IMO. But the package is SPECTACULAR if you don't own an HDTV or Xbox 360. This deal ripped into my CAG soul and left an empty husk.

I had a regular flat tube 32 inch and wasn't likely to upgrade this year. I can probably still sell this 9 months down the road for $550 and pick up an lcd or plasma.

kind of a moot point now, since the 50 inch DLP for 1000 and some change is now "SOLD OUT" online. Cheapest TV now is the 1700 dollar one, and as a few people have pointed out, the "savings" of buying one of these TVs with that kind of ridiculous markup and getting a "free" xbox and Halo... not really worth it to me, though I was seriously on the fence for this one.

[quote name='jshackles']kind of a moot point now, since the 50 inch DLP for 1000 and some change is now "SOLD OUT" online. Cheapest TV now is the 1700 dollar one, and as a few people have pointed out, the "savings" of buying one of these TVs with that kind of ridiculous markup and getting a "free" xbox and Halo... not really worth it to me, though I was seriously on the fence for this one.[/quote]

Nooooo!!!!

Oh well. The only thing to do now is to try and price match at BB!

I was at ABT, and I learned me a couple of t'ings!

1) HDTV is now transmitted in 720p, so having a 1080p won't do you much good if all you plan to do is watch TV via Cable/Satellite.

2) Blu-Rays are in 1080p, and they look PHENOMENAL!!! I mean, you can clearly see a difference over the 720p HD TV programming!!!

This might be for the better. I can just wait and see what comes around Black Friday...

Unless BB wants to play ball and offers me a comparable deal locally! HA HA HA HA HA! We will see...

Sorry that you missed out iceblast21. You could try pickup as the option for the TV, if your area has any best buys with it in stock.

I was prepared to go without an Xbox Halo 3 and HDTV until black friday or maybe even Jan. before i saw this. It still took me 2 and a half days and 2 pricedrops and finding a way to stack the Halo 3 bonuses for me to finally cave in.

Good luck in your hunt.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat131300050003&AID=10474050&PID=1909457&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3Ftype%3Dcategory%26id%3Dpcmcat131300050003

Check that link.

For all you complaining about the lack of 1080p or bulbs burning out....there is a list of displays that qualify.

Yes they are more expensive, but there are bigger choices, 1080p choices, and even LED powered choices (no bulbs to burn out).

Edit: I would check the prices on the displays elsewhere to see how much of a markup there is compared to other places.

Hmm, my order is no longer showing up on BestBuy.com even though everything already shipped and/or is at the store waiting to be picked up. Must be a glitch in the listed orders, least I hope so.... :whistle2:s

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Sorry that you missed out iceblast21. You could try pickup as the option for the TV, if your area has any best buys with it in stock.

I was prepared to go without an Xbox Halo 3 and HDTV until black friday or maybe even Jan. before i saw this. It still took me 2 and a half days and 2 pricedrops and finding a way to stack the Halo 3 bonuses for me to finally cave in.

Good luck in your hunt.[/quote]

Called my local BB to try and pricematch and they just told me this deal is going local (B&M) TOMORROW (Sunday!).

So I imagine this deal will be local all over the country by tomorrow. Only problem now is finding a store with a 720p still in stock!

Also, the sales-guys can probably offer a better deal locally, cause I asked about the 1080p 50" and he said it was $1899. At that point, I did my best not to laugh on the phone...

So I ask for a cheaper price and he says $1600 (which is like $20 less than online). Not a big deal, but then, I didn't really talk him down much. So who knows?!

Still $1600 (+ tax!!! - about $140 more for me) is too much for a DLP 1080p 50" when you can get one tax-free from Amazon for like $1270!!! I believe it's the exact same one, actually, cause I did a search a couple days back.

A PS3 deal would be better... I wonder if they'll do something like this for the MGS4 launch???? The only problem with waiting is that I need a new TV now.

[quote name='iceblast21']2) Blu-Rays are in 1080p, and they look PHENOMENAL!!! I mean, you can clearly see a difference over the 720p HD TV programming!!![/QUOTE]

Well of COURSE you can see a difference on a 1080p set. The 720p content is upscaled by the set whereas the 1080p content is native. Here's a very informative thread/side-by-side on 720p v 1080p:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=767929

Also, LOL at the guy saying DLPs have poor contrast ratios. It's actually the strength of the technology (that and color saturation).

[quote name='gkrykewy']Well of COURSE you can see a difference on a 1080p set. The 720p content is upscaled by the set whereas the 1080p content is native. Here's a very informative thread/side-by-side on 720p v 1080p:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=767929

Also, LOL at the guy saying DLPs have poor contrast ratios. It's actually the strength of the technology (that and color saturation).[/quote]

GREAT INFO! Nice site, too. But it's for projectors...

Projectors are made for larger rooms, no? And of course, the difference between 720 and 1080 becomes negligible the further away from the set you are. Which is my prob: I'll be sitting close cause the room is small! I don't have the 10 feet away option!

But for anyone b*tching about this deal not being PLASMA, this BB email I got might be of interest:

"As a valued Best Buy customer, we want to inform you of an error that will appear in the September 23, 2007 Best BuyTM ad. On the front cover we mistakenly listed the price of the 50" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH_50PZ77U- 8501711) at $1799, before $90 savings. We intended to advertise the 42" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-42PZ77U-8501757) at $1799, before $90 savings.

Best Buy will not be honoring this price on the aforementioned 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we will offer a $100 Instant Rebate on all Plasma Televisions from Sunday, September 23, 2007 through Saturday, September 29, 2007. This Instant Rebate will be deducted from the price you see in the store, including our regular sale prices.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing you in our store soon.

(c) 2007 Best Buy"

It says they WILL NOT be honoring the price...

Why can't we embrace contractions?!

Anywho... nevermind. But you might as well bring the ad if you have it - I'm sure they'd PM it if you had the ad.

I jumped on this deal. Picked up the 50 inch Samsung DLP 1080p with the halo 360, Halo3 and 1600 marketplace points for 1814 and change after NY taxes. I am very happy with this deal and will be selling my older 360 towards the purchase of an ipod touch.

bread's done
Back