BB Gamers Club - Get Matt Hazard PS3 for $10 with 20$ off coupon

yingfo

CAGiversary!
The Best Buy Gamers Club has a coupon up for 20$ off Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. Best Buy is selling the game for 29.99. The game has a very cool concept but I hear the gameplay is very bad. I wanted to check the game out a while ago but when I read the reviews I waited for a very big price drop. So this is my chance.

The coupon also has 20$ off Monsters Vs. Aliens and Madagascar 2 for the 360. Making M vs. A $30 and Madagascar 2 $20 if anyone else is interested in those games.

Here is the coupon:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/viewDetails.jspx?tc=CPN_20

Plus the BestBuy.com listing of Matt Hazard:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...pe=product&cp=1&id=1218061082241&ref=69&loc=2

picked it up. Its a good game. Not a blockbuster quality game so don't compare it to them, but definitely a great budget game. Good deal for $10

Got mine on lunch break. Excited to play it, though it'll be behind some other games in line.

Is the fact that Chrono Trigger DS is $20 at Best Buy newsworthy? That's awfully cheap for a killer game.

I exchanged the PS3 version for the 360 version today without problems. The customer service girl had to knock $20 off the price of the 360 version I exchanged for but it was a hassle free even exchange for me.

Ah what the hell. I sprung the $10 for Matt Hazard. Just about an hour into it and so far it's enjoyable...or at least enjoyable enough for a $10 game.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yeah, the controls are pretty crappy (why is shoot R2 and reload R1?) but I'm surprisingly addicted to the game to the point that I think about playing when I'm not. It does get frustrating at times though and I haven't hit the tentacle boss yet, which is where I heard the game gets really frustrating, so I might have to adjust my opinion later on this game. [/QUOTE]

I just beat the tentacle boss and my god, was it frustrating. Anyone that hasn't gotten that far yet, save yourself a headache and follow the instructions from earlier in the thread. I hear the final boss is a chore as well.

[quote name='slashkirby']I dont see how its any worse than say gears of war just because it wasnt psyched up to be a populr game doesnt mean its bad[/QUOTE]

It's worse for the fact that you can't run, dodge roll, etc. etc. Matt moves as fast as a tank, and you can't do anything about it. That's probably the part that's pissing me off the most about this game. Other than that, it's entertaining, especially for the $10 price tag. There's some top notch pokes at popular video game franchises.

Like other games that have tried to do that parody thing, however, you start questioning why they even bothered with some parts of the game, to only turn around and make fun of it. For example, the cheesy tutorial at the beginning, Matt commenting on the fact that he can't jump, the "lack of an interrogation mode," the stupid water guns, etc. The humor almost starts becoming an excuse for the poor gameplay at times.

Of course, I won't discredit the humor in this game. It's solid stuff. If only they would have made this with the same level of production as something like Uncharted, it would have been a AAA game for sure. Not to mention the boss battles are very memorable, even if simply for their quirkiness.

Final verdict: Give it a try. For $10 you can't go wrong because you can probably turn around and sell it for about just as much. Also the trophies are very easy to get (example: you get trophies for starting the game AND pausing the game).

[quote name='Killbomb']I just beat the tentacle boss and my god, was it frustrating. Anyone that hasn't gotten that far yet, save yourself a headache and follow the instructions from earlier in the thread. I hear the final boss is a chore as well.[/QUOTE]

This might be a little more helpful too if you're stuck at the tentacle part:

I found that if you just destroy one of the tentacles and go stand in the same spot where it was, you won't get hit again. This made shooting the rest fairly simple. For the second part, stay on the side of the ship where the troops don't spawn. You'll start to notice they only spawn on the one side of the ship, except for maybe one time.

Hm, thanks for the heads up on the coupon.. I'm currently sitting on about $25 worth of RZ certs, so it might be worthwhile to dip into it a bit to get a free game.

like the humor and parodies. Got stuck on the first real boss. The russian dude. spawning ememies were driving me nuts. maybe I'll drop the difficulty level

Got around to playing the first 2 levels. Man, is it poorly designed! Some neat things about it, and a few enjoyable stabs at other games, but the gameplay is as poor as many have said. The control just isn't good: It's unresponsive in that you'll try to reload or take cover and Matt just won't listen. Also, there are just too many bad design decisions -- like coming out of a cutscene surrounded by enemies that can kill you in 2 shots.

I wonder if I should've taken the easier difficulty level, just to reduce the headache.

Not sure I'll play any more.

Do I just print out the coupon and give it to the cashier when I pay for it? Won't the cashier ask me where I got the coupon from? Also I do have a reward zone card but I am not sure if I am in the Gamers Club, does that matter?

[quote name='pokadotpowerpuff']Do I just print out the coupon and give it to the cashier when I pay for it? Won't the cashier ask me where I got the coupon from? Also I do have a reward zone card but I am not sure if I am in the Gamers Club, does that matter?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just print it out the coupon as it appears and give it to the cashier when you go to pay for it. They shouldn't ask you where you got it from, but if they do just tell them that it was off their own Reward Zone website. As for the last part, I don't think it matters, but even if it does you can sign up for it right in the store, so you should still be able to take advantage of it.

If anyone is looking for this in Tampa, all the copies are in the manager's special endcap of 50% off games, not in the normal PS3 game section.

Sadly, the 50% off doesn't stack.. either get that, or the coupon. You save an extra $5 with the coupon so that's probably the better deal ;)

[quote name='dallow']It's worth $10.
Voice work from Will Arnett and Neil Patrick Harris to boot![/QUOTE]

Neil Patrick Harris FTW!!!!!!!!

Went to Best Buy earlier today and coupon was no good. The in store price was 49.99 and I even had them ring it up and it was still 50. I told them the website was showing 30 so they are willing to price match it for me to 30 but they said I can't apply the coupon on it because it's either price matching the website or using the coupon. The guy said that the reason they can't do both was because it said specifically on the coupon that it does not qualify on bestbuy.com and that store prices are going to cost more. I didn't bother arguing with him and just didn't buy the game. I live in Hawaii btw and we always get the short end of the stick when it comes to deals and shipping charges so I guess I should be used to it >_>

Wow, bad game or not, for $10 it might be worth it. I mean it had a few stars
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

I picked it up Sunday. It's fun enough but nothing I would consider good. The humor is really the only reason this game has any value.

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with loading and the intro video playing. For me, the intro was a little choppy on my first time booting it up, and then it was unwatchable on the second time. I've also had a "loading" box pop up right in the middle of the game for 30 seconds or so. That's happened 3 or 4 times over about two hours of playing.

And the very first load screen when you start up takes at least a minute. I thought it might be my PS3 but I played Unreal Tournament 3 for a few hours without a single issue and in 15 years of gaming, I've never encountered a bad disc so I'm not sure what the deal is.

[quote name='MrBeatdown']I picked it up Sunday. It's fun enough but nothing I would consider good. The humor is really the only reason this game has any value.

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with loading and the intro video playing. For me, the intro was a little choppy on my first time booting it up, and then it was unwatchable on the second time. I've also had a "loading" box pop up right in the middle of the game for 30 seconds or so. That's happened 3 or 4 times over about two hours of playing.

And the very first load screen when you start up takes at least a minute. I thought it might be my PS3 but I played Unreal Tournament 3 for a few hours without a single issue and in 15 years of gaming, I've never encountered a bad disc so I'm not sure what the deal is.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you've got a bad copy/transfer of Matt Hazard -- I haven't had any of those issues. Certainly no choppiness on the intro video. I'm trying to remember the rate and duration of the "loading" boxes. I can't recall anything excessive -- definitely not so long as for me to think, "Damn, I could've made a sandwich."

I doubt Best Buy would have any copies available for exchange, though it's worth a shot. You may have luck going through the developer.

This was something I was really looking forward too, and still kind of excited to play even when it turned out it's supposedly not that great.

Picked it up last week (and then ended up picking up a ton of other cheap games too, that I had had no idea about).

I started playing this last night and found that I was enjoying it quite a bit despite the crappy AI. It's fun to listen to the bad impressions and "old" levels though.

If somebody wants this game and their BB doesn't have it I would be glad to mail it to you. Just PayPal $15 to me to cover tax, paypal fees, and shipping. I will refund the difference after I send it. I can even include a gift receipt. Just trying to help other CAGers out.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm in the middle of the last level, and man, I'm glad I only spent $10 on this. This game sucks.[/QUOTE]

lol when i read this i couldn't help but chuckle...still considering getting it tomorrow...last day i think.

I played this for the trophies and I got my 2nd Platinum. It only took a couple of sessions to get them all because I used a code to unlock the hardest difficulty. One of the bosses was funny, check it out on Youtube if you aren't going to playing through the game.

I gave up on that section where you have to protect that wizard. He kept dying, and I wasn't doing anything wrong that I know.

Overall...I still like the idea, although it's kind of mudled because for some reason Matt Hazard is aware he's a game character, and is sometimes self aware, but sometimes really really not...which is weird. I mean they should have done one or the other...like he could have found out he's a game character as it progressed or something.

But still, they're at least doing something interesting there. Real problem is the gameplay. I see games like Haze bashed all the time (probably mostly by people who haven't played it), when in fact they play great, and have silky smooth control.

This is just barely serviceable. They screwed up and reversed where they should have put things on the R/L buttons. The field of view is too close, or something. It's weirdly dark in places (even with full gamma). The aiming and 'feel' of it is always sub-par (it kind of feels like a PS2 shooter).

Graphically it's fine, but could be a nice looking last gen game-which I'm fine with, but it looks like something you could see on the Xbox or Wii, other than it's running at a higher resolution. Real problem's the gameplay though.

This game really isnt that bad, especially considering its $10. But then again, I guess you could put that towards a good pre-order.

I just started playing the game this weekend, and I am rather enjoying it. I'm about 3 missions in, and although there have been a few framerate issues and I would prefer a slightly better field of view, I have found the story fairly engaging and I like the humor. Gameplay is average, but I've played worse. I would say this is well worth $10.

Coupon changed to $20 off the following PC titles (same link):
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
The Godfather II
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Argh, I didn't know the prior deal of Eat Lead was going on. Oh well,.

Personally I will wait until a deal comes across for the PS3 version of Riddick or Wolverine. Have too many PC games that I don't play.

I played the PS3 Wolverine, and it is AWESOME (and I hate the genre it's supposedly part of too).

And IMO Matt Hazard absolutely is not worth $10 (and how did you guys get past that wizard sniper section?) Haze and Mercenaries 2 were both $10 for me, and both totally worth it for that price (or probably a bit more)...but Matt Hazard isn't remotely on that level IMO.

AND NOW HE'S DOWN THERE, PERMANENTLY SMIRKING ON MY TROPHY CARD UNTIL I START MY NEXT PS3 GAME!.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']...(and how did you guys get past that wizard sniper section?)[/QUOTE]

First, listen to Bill's vocal queues -- he'll call out from which direction he's being most threatened.

Second, there are several combustible cannisters (e.g. gas cans/barrels) in several of the places that the incoming troops take refuge. Hitting one of these can take out 2-3 guys at once.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...yeah I was doing that, but he'd still die. Weirdly it usually seemed like when he died, it was after I'd already killed a wave of enemies.

Oh well, I wasn't having much fun with it even before that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Thanks...yeah I was doing that, but he'd still die. Weirdly it usually seemed like when he died, it was after I'd already killed a wave of enemies.

Oh well, I wasn't having much fun with it even before that.[/QUOTE]

The first sniper battle? After like 2 of each side, there will be a machine gun guy that comes up from the bottom left, and another guy that comes out near the top... those were probably the important guys to pick off quick.

bread's done
Back