BC update out now! 21 games! Doom 3 and Lego Star Wars!

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
http://centracomm.iad.cachefly.net/majornelson/mnr-6-04-11-178-theonewithpetermooreaboute3-mp3.mp3

Confirmed by Mr Moore himself in the Major Nelson interview.

I know there is a BC thread, but I thought this deserved its own topic.

June 2006 Back Compat titles added:

1. 4x4 EVO 2
2. Amped® 2
3. Bad Boys 2
4. Big Mutha Truckers
5. DOOM 3®
6. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
7. Fatal Frame™
8. FlatOut™
9. Grabbed by the Ghoulies™
10. Intellivision Lives
11. LEGO® Star Wars®
12. Minority Report
13. MLB SlugFest 20-04
14. The Punisher™
15. RalliSport Challenge
16. Silent Hill® 4: The Room
17. Spawn® Armageddon
18. Spider-Man
19. Star Wars Battlefront™
20. State of Emergency
21. Zapper™

YES! I hope Morrwind gets in there somehow... although I fear it won't because it used the harddrive so much on the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 please!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']YES!!!! Lego StarWars!!!! I finally get to play it again.[/QUOTE]

Just in time for the Original Trilogy in Spetember!!

[quote name='Logain8955']Anyone have the full list? I'm not gonna listen to an hour show for it.[/QUOTE]

He only list those two games during the show.

Also, I'd do anything for Panzer Dragon Orta to be added to that BC list!

I'd bet on any other games that run on that Doom Engine. Not sure what those might be. I'm hoping this list is a good one. Fingers are crossed for the Prince of Persia sequels, UC2, Indigo Prophecy, Fatal Frame games, and Deus Ex.

i wonder why they dont make new xbox1 games 360 compatible....thats a nobrainer..

i would prob still buy some games if they worked on 360.. Mk armegeddon better work on 360 dammit

[quote name='guyver2077']i wonder why they dont make new xbox1 games 360 compatible....thats a nobrainer..

i would prob still buy some games if they worked on 360.. Mk armegeddon better work on 360 dammit[/QUOTE]

Becuase that would mean the developer would have to do more work....they already have to test and debug with XBOX1, so i doubt they want to do MORE work.

Anyways...hopefully the update will stop some of the BC bitching.

fuck yeah!

Hopefully all the best XBox flagpole games will be on there (Conker, Riddick, Mechassault series, Shenmue, DOA Ultimate, Crazy Taxi 3, Midtown Madness, House of the Dead III [with light-gun support?!], Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II, Steel Battalion [with humongous $200 controller support])

I'll be holding my breath til I see what games are actually on the update and see if the majority of them besides the 2 mentioned are some quality games people will actually want to play.

[quote name='doubledown']Becuase that would mean the developer would have to do more work....they already have to test and debug with XBOX1, so i doubt they want to do MORE work.

Anyways...hopefully the update will stop some of the BC bitching.[/quote]

yea but they will make more money.. i for one do not want to connect my xbox again to play new xbox games.. my system works when it wants to and sometimes i get read errors... this has kept me from playing allot of my newer games..

[quote name='guyver2077']yea but they will make more money.. i for one do not want to connect my xbox again to play new xbox games.. my system works when it wants to and sometimes i get read errors... this ihas kept me from playing allot of my newer games..[/QUOTE]

I think BC is Microsoft's problem. They changed processors.....two different animals we are talking about with XBOX and 360. Yes, developers may make a bit more if they advertised a game as being BC with 360.

Honestly, I'd like to see Street Fighter Anniversary (probably won't happen because they'll whore out the Live Arcade version), SVC Chaos (what can I say, I'm a 2D fighter nut), and The Warriors

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Honestly, I'd like to see Street Fighter Anniversary (probably won't happen because they'll whore out the Live Arcade version), SVC Chaos (what can I say, I'm a 2D fighter nut), and The Warriors[/QUOTE]
Yeah, none of those will be in it.

(although I wish they were :cry:)

[quote name='guyver2077']i wonder why they dont make new xbox1 games 360 compatible....thats a nobrainer..

i would prob still buy some games if they worked on 360.. Mk armegeddon better work on 360 dammit[/QUOTE]

Oh gee, I don't know, maybe because it's FRIGGIN' HARD TO DO?

Seriously, if it were just a matter of wanting it, Microsoft would have every Xbox title ever release running on the 360 with enhancements. This is not a trivial undertaking and the testing involved for the games is very time intensive. They're recreating much of the playtesting cycle these games already passed through before they were originally released.

The more desirable recent Xbox titles are the result of develoeprs who've been honing their Xbox skills for five years. The likelihood of those games containing the kind of coding techniques that make for the most difficult items to make run under emulation is very high. As more and more of the older titles become compatible the probability a newer titem will pass the testing phase is increased. But there is no getting around the laborious testing process.

^^^^ exactly why we'll never see Morrowind-- too damn long, too hard to test, and there's a sequel.

no excuse for the 2-D fighters though >_

I wanted DOOM 3 to be BC, and now it is. I just hope these games make it also

Riddick
Star Wars Republic Commando
ESPN NFL 2K5
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter Anniversary
Phantom Dust
Panzer Dragon Orta
Indigo Propehcy

Update up:

1. 4x4 EVO 2
2. Amped® 2
3. Bad Boys 2
4. Big Mutha Truckers
5. DOOM 3®
7. Fatal Frame™
8. FlatOut™
10. Intellivision Lives
11. LEGO® Star Wars®
12. Minority Report
13. MLB SlugFest 20-04
14. The Punisher™
15. RalliSport Challenge
17. Spawn® Armageddon
18. Spider-Man
20. State of Emergency
21. Zapper™

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Honestly, I'd like to see Street Fighter Anniversary (probably won't happen because they'll whore out the Live Arcade version), SVC Chaos (what can I say, I'm a 2D fighter nut), and The Warriors[/QUOTE]

I'm also a big 2D fighter fan, and for that reason I have and always will have an xbox hooked up. Even if they were on the BC list, it wouldn't matter since I can't use my custom arcade stick on the 360. Unless there's an adapter out there that lets you use xbox controllers on 360...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Update up:

1. 4x4 EVO 2
2. Amped® 2
3. Bad Boys 2
4. Big Mutha Truckers
5. DOOM 3®
7. Fatal Frame™
8. FlatOut™
10. Intellivision Lives
11. LEGO® Star Wars®
12. Minority Report
13. MLB SlugFest 20-04
14. The Punisher™
15. RalliSport Challenge
17. Spawn® Armageddon
18. Spider-Man
20. State of Emergency
21. Zapper™[/quote]

Once again Micro$oft delivers the suck. Zapper? SoE? Minority Report?! Is this some lame attempt to sell more copies of these terrible games just because they are now backwards compatable? Out of all of these games, there are around 8 that are decent titles. Was MBL SlugFest 20-04 really that high on anyones list that it needed to be converted over? Pathetic.

Talk about ungrateful assholes.

All nearly everyone did was piss and moan when Moore said no one was interested. Then when a reasonable update is done (and I consider getting major titles like Doom 3, Lego Star Wars, SW Battlefront, and Spiderman as reasonable), everyone just bitches again.

You almost have to wish Microsoft would have pulled the plug on this crap so I wouldn't have to see Billy complaining about how Stake isn't backwards compatible yet. Or how Crazy Taxi 3 might never be playable on a 360.

Silent Hill 4, but no Silent Hill 2? WTF!? No Morrowind, Shenmue II, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Otogi? Also, is Doom 3 just the game, or is the collector's edition included? Overall, a pretty disappointing update, but better than no update.

[quote name='terribledeli']Talk about ungrateful assholes.

All nearly everyone did was piss and moan when Moore said no one was interested. Then when a reasonable update is done (and I consider getting major titles like Doom 3, Lego Star Wars, SW Battlefront, and Spiderman as reasonable), everyone just bitches again.
[/quote]

I for one am SOOO GRATEFUL that they took the time to convert Bad Boys 2. I mean, why waste your time converting oh, I don't know, ANY of Microsofts top selling games when you can have the awesomeness that is Bad Boys 2! This update is truely pathetic. Granted Doom 3 and Lego Star Wars (and around 6 others) are good updates, but why Zapper? Why Minority Report? Did Tom Cruise jump on Moore's couch just so he could push for MR to be ported over?

And for those who are wondering, the Doom 3 Collectors Edition does work in the update. I've noticed no slowdown as of yet playing Doom 3 or the ultimate doom on this update.

Fatal Frame is a nice addition. Hopefully that was one that came along with the ride when they were working on One Wicked Cricket. Man, I feel sorry for the backwards compatibility team. It's a thankless job and then you put out these lists of games that you know nobody wants to play.

These games are insulting. Who wants to play Bad Boys and Big Mutha Truckers? I love how anything that you buy for 360 is conveniently left off the list, like NHL 2k6, Madden, MVP, and Street Fighter, Morrowwind. I'm just going to start playing crappy Xbox games, so that I can get the most out of my 360. That'll show 'em.

[quote name='shipwreck']Fatal Frame is a nice addition. Hopefully that was one that came along with the ride when they were working on One Wicked Cricket. Man, I feel sorry for the backwards compatibility team. It's a thankless job and then you put out these lists of games that you know nobody wants to play.[/QUOTE]

Man, do I agree with that.. there's got to be at least 2 or 3 of these people who play games, and know that they're programming emulation for hours upon hours to wish to work on something like Orta (or maybe something more mainstream like Burnout or Morrowind), and end up with MS saying "only program the easiest first, as it's more cost effective until the day we decide to pull the plug on the project. End result? Drake and Bad Boys.

That makes me wonder.. with the emu-nuts out there working on things like MAME and whatnot, too bad Microsoft wouldn't A.) pull from the emulation community for the BC project, or B.) Contract some of the work out to increase output

WTF, still no Riddick?

When the hell will that be added?

EDIT:
However, I am glad to see DOOM 3, Fatal Frame, FlatOut, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Intellivision Lives, LEGO Star Wars, The Punisher, Silent Hill 4: The Room, and Star Wars Battlefront on there.

9 games I actually like isn't too bad.

I'll weigh in only to say this: I wouldn't have a problem with the BC situation if it weren't for the fact that it was completely misrepresented to early adopters. When MS said that their goal was to have all of their games (especially the most popular) eventually BC, I sold my original XBox. I knew that there would be some XB games in my collection that I wouldn't be able to play for a while, but it was OK. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a 360 while still keeping their original XB.

Honestly, if they had said from the beginning that BC was never going to be a priority for them, then I (and presumably others) would have held off on selling the original XBox.

You see, its not that I just feel insulted by the laughable game list, but rather that I feel deceived by a less-than-honest sales strategy by MS.

/my 2 cents

[quote name='shipwreck'] Man, I feel sorry for the backwards compatibility team. It's a thankless job and then you put out these lists of games that you know nobody wants to play.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be such a thankless job if they added games that people actually play, like the top selling titles they said they would add about 7 months ago.

One thing I find odd and troubling is why the hell they leave some good and also top selling titles off the list that run on the same or very similar engines to games they've already done. Like why the hell would you work on MLB Slugfest 2004 when there's the new one, or even MLB Slugfest Loaded from last year. Or why not work on Fatal Frame 2 or Spiderman 2 which is a freaking platinum hit title instead of a craptacular budget title like Bad Boys?

bread's done
Back