Beautiful Katamari - Gen. Discussion & Info

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)

Features

The King of All Cosmos and the Prince have returned in amazing next-generation brilliance in Beautiful Katamari! The game that took the videogame world by storm is set to continue rolling with new stages, cousins, and visual style.
Play as the Prince or one of the cousins, new and old, to roll up objects in all-new stages and missions as you explore this brand new creative exploration. With this new era, the hit style of gameplay is able to present an experience only hinted at in previous versions. Seamless Katamari growing and animated presents add to the experience that has captivated hardcore and casual gamers everywhere.

• Rolling in 720p: Katamari leaps into the next generation with an upgrade into the HD era with increased visual depth and seamless Katamari growth.
  • New soundtrack: Pick up items at your leisure to a brand new catchy soundtrack.
  • New Levels:New levels and objects present more craziness to conquer like keeping your cool and collecting frosty items in the Ice House!
  • New characters: New cousins join the fun to bring the total to over 50 playable characters, each with their own quirky animations and style.
  • Offline multiplayer: Share the experience with another player as you race to collect more objects than each other. Tired of battling it out? Make peace and work together in CO-OP mode to roll the same Katamari. Make sure your communication skills are working at peak efficiency!
  • Online multiplayer: For the first time ever, the Katamari franchise rolls into the online world. Compete with your friends to roll up everything or as many specific objects as possible. As your waiting for more online players, also take part in the lively mini-games that populate the lobby and spread the world of Katamari Damacy.
  • Downloadable content: The world's ever-changing as your game will continue to give you joy through downloadable content ready to give you a fresh experience every time you fire up your system.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/beautifulkatamari/
Go get it! :D

its not that big but its taking a very long time.

bj

edit:

Just played it. Its really cool and will online play, the king of the cosoms says so at the end. I liked it but I didnt love it like the ps2 verision, am I insane? Maybe because its just a demo is the reason why I dont love it yet. Im really looking forward to this game.

I just finished the DL. It was my first time on a katamari game, and it was fun but with only the small amount that I got to play I'm not really sure what the big deal is. Maybe I should go rent the first two before I pass judgement.

This will be the third time I've posted this (there was the original Katamari demo thread from the OXM disc and then the Aug 07 XBLM general info thread). But I want people to give this a chance (and hopefully buy it). I want some cool downloadable content to come in the future and I want people to play against online!

Here were my comments a few weeks back with regards to the demo:

Also, for those of you who didn't play the originals and were disappointed in the demo, note that while the demo shows the core gameplay, it does not convey the sense of progression and accomplishment the real game provides. The demo is 3 minutes but doesn't give you a size goal. In the real game, it can be pretty challenging to meet the time limits (usually you need to get to a certain size by a certain time), especially to unlock the higher rewards (and I assume some of the achievements will involve the same thing). Then there are other types of missions where you are looking for only certain types of objects and can't touch certain other types. This leads to a whole different strategy as you can't just plow over everything.

If this thread ends up getting merged with one of the others feel free to delete this post (you mod people).

Wow, the thread was just made a few hours ago? Damn. I d/l'ed and played it this morning. I figured someone would've posted it asap.

BTW - I can't wait. I just beat Me & My Katamari on the PSP tonight. Man are my hands cramped.

[quote name='zewone']It's listed on Gamestop.com as a $40 MSRP which makes me sad. I miss when Katamari was $20 new. Then We

not buying this at $40. maybe on clearance. not that Katamari needs real time weapon changing, but the only difference from the PS2 game is anti-aliasing. plus, the whole game is the demo ad infinitum with different songs...

[quote name='Apossum']not buying this at $40. maybe on clearance. not that Katamari needs real time weapon changing, but the only difference from the PS2 game is anti-aliasing. plus, the whole game is the demo ad infinitum with different songs...[/QUOTE]
Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the same as the PSN demo with differnent enemies. ;)

[quote name='zewone']Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the same as the PSN demo with differnent enemies. ;)[/QUOTE]

that's already a step above katamari ;)

and your favorite game sucks.

[quote name='zewone']It's listed on Gamestop.com as a $40 MSRP which makes me sad. I miss when Katamari was $20 new. Then We

I see the artsy side of this game and why some people could like it, but it doesn't justify a purchase, unless at the $20 mark.

[quote name='Apossum']that's already a step above katamari ;)

and your favorite game sucks.[/QUOTE]
Too bad you like my favorite game (sig). :p

ryles - if this is your first time playing a Katamari game, don't judge it off this demo.

[quote name='io']
And Apossum, I disagree entirely (see what I wrote before). And besides, not EVERY game can be a boring repetetive brawler you know ;). (D'oh! Got beat to the NGS joke by Zewone whilst I composed my message!)[/QUOTE]

Katamari is rolling things up. That's all...the graphics scale out, but that's all there is to the game. it's the epitome of repetitive, i.e. no variation. not saying it's bad...just saying that the game has no reason to be $40, other than hype. This doesn't even fall in to the "well, dur, all games could be called repetitive" trap-- katamari is literally the demo ad infinitum. prove me wrong here, please :lol:

and your favorite game sucks too!

[quote name='zewone']Too bad you like my favorite game (sig). :p

[/QUOTE]

just for that, I'm not going to play bioshock any more. that's right...I'll show that guy on the internet who's boss!

[quote name='Apossum']Katamari is rolling things up. That's all...the graphics scale out, but that's all there is to the game. it's the epitome of repetitive, i.e. no variation. not saying it's bad...just saying that the game has no reason to be $40, other than hype. This doesn't even fall in to the "well, dur, all games could be called repetitive" trap-- katamari is literally the demo ad infinitum. prove me wrong here, please :lol:

and your favorite game sucks too![/QUOTE]
Well, the core of the game is the same thing again and again, but that can be said for any game. Halo - you shoot things. Ninja Gaiden - you stab things. Tetris - you make lines.

There are goals and it's more of a competition of how big can you get your katamari within the time limit or what's the biggest cow product you can pick up. Plus, BK adds online play adding to the replay value.

[quote name='Apossum']

just for that, I'm not going to play bioshock any more. that's right...I'll show that guy on the internet who's boss![/QUOTE]
I was talking about your sig, n00b. :)

[quote name='zewone']Well, the core of the game is the same thing again and again, but that can be said for any game. Halo - you shoot things. Ninja Gaiden - you stab things. Tetris - you make lines.

There are goals and it's more of a competition of how big can you get your katamari within the time limit or what's the biggest cow product you can pick up. Plus, BK adds online play adding to the replay value.

I was talking about your sig, n00b. :)[/QUOTE]

I guess there's some strategy for getting past some parts...

but anyway, I'm burning my copy of the Kool Aid Man game for the 2600 as we speak.

i thought the demo played great, so ill be picking up the game for sure. i loved the first two. i wasnt too big on the psp version because the controls just werent as smooth, but i still bought it. 40 bucks is basically what i expected with the 10 dollar next-gen fee.

on the demo i got to 3.6 meters, i guess im rusty, i couldnt get those big bears.

[quote name='zewone']Too bad you like my favorite game (sig). :p

ryles - if this is your first time playing a Katamari game, don't judge it off this demo.[/QUOTE]

played the 1st one on ps2. Like I said I can see the appeal of the game, my friend, who owned the copy I played, was hooked on it.

[quote name='Apossum']Katamari is rolling things up. That's all...the graphics scale out, but that's all there is to the game. it's the epitome of repetitive, i.e. no variation. not saying it's bad...just saying that the game has no reason to be $40, other than hype. This doesn't even fall in to the "well, dur, all games could be called repetitive" trap-- katamari is literally the demo ad infinitum. prove me wrong here, please :lol:

[/QUOTE]

Zewone pretty much covered it, but I know I spent much time on the first game replaying levels to obtain the "shooting star" rating (or whatever the highest thing was - it was different in the 2 games). You need to learn the level, plan out a strategy, and execute it nearly flawlessly to obtain the highest ranking. Plus there is a lot of variation besides the "roll up everything" core gameplay. As I ALREADY SAID in my quote before, there are different levels where you need to collect only certain items (like animals or fire) and others where you can't touch certain things - which changes up the gameplay quite a bit. But by far my favorite part are the straight "get to this size in this time" levels. And even with those ones, there is a lot of variety there because sometimes you are in a single room picking up ants and cookies and staplers and then in another level you are rolling around the world picking up ocean liners and clouds and volcanoes. And usually the last level is one where you start tiny and progress through all the stages to roll up everything in the world. When you get on a roll (no pun intended) doing that there's nothing in gaming that quite compares (IMO).

expect Namco to nickel and dime in a similar way to IDOLM@STER and the Rumble Roses downloads. Only with a more entertaining product.

[quote name='akilshohen']expect Namco to nickel and dime in a similar way to IDOLM@STER and the Rumble Roses downloads. Only with a more entertaining product.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm worried about that as well. But as long as the main game has the same amount of gameplay as the PS2 versions, and then they add stuff on top of that via DLC I'll be OK with it. (If they skimp on the main game and then offer DLC for stuff that should have been included originally then I'll be pissed). Like I said before, I wish I could have gotten more challenges and levels with the original games after I played them so much. So I'm really looking forward to what they do with this. Of course, first things first - people need to buy the game ;).

My other main concern is how extended gameplay will hold up on the 360 controller. If ever there was a game built for the dual shock, this is it. The unbalanced analog sticks of the 360 might be troublesome, but I'm sure I can adjust.

It was ok but there isn't any reason it should be $40 after playing the demo. Here's hoping a deal comes on CAG for $35 or $30.

Didn't see this thread earlier, but I saw the demo banner on the dashboard half an hour ago and it was a pleasant surprise to see the demo available! Can't wait to try it out, I loved the two Katamari games on PS2 and will probably pick it up for $35-40.

[quote name='io']

My other main concern is how extended gameplay will hold up on the 360 controller. If ever there was a game built for the dual shock, this is it. The unbalanced analog sticks of the 360 might be troublesome, but I'm sure I can adjust.[/QUOTE]

i had no trouble, on the demo, with the unbalanced analog sticks. it felt very natural and i had no problem boosting or rotating or anything like that. so im really not worried at all about the controls at this point.

[quote name='io']Zewone pretty much covered it, but I know I spent much time on the first game replaying levels to obtain the "shooting star" rating (or whatever the highest thing was - it was different in the 2 games). You need to learn the level, plan out a strategy, and execute it nearly flawlessly to obtain the highest ranking. Plus there is a lot of variation besides the "roll up everything" core gameplay. As I ALREADY SAID in my quote before, there are different levels where you need to collect only certain items (like animals or fire) and others where you can't touch certain things - which changes up the gameplay quite a bit. But by far my favorite part are the straight "get to this size in this time" levels. And even with those ones, there is a lot of variety there because sometimes you are in a single room picking up ants and cookies and staplers and then in another level you are rolling around the world picking up ocean liners and clouds and volcanoes. And usually the last level is one where you start tiny and progress through all the stages to roll up everything in the world. When you get on a roll (no pun intended) doing that there's nothing in gaming that quite compares (IMO).[/QUOTE]

and it seems like you're describing exactly what I'm saying, only in more elaborate terms and with more heart :lol: not saying it's a bad game...I've played it, I know what you do in it, maybe you're writing more for those who haven't?

[quote name='Apossum']and it seems like you're describing exactly what I'm saying, only in more elaborate terms and with more heart :lol: not saying it's a bad game...I've played it, I know what you do in it, maybe you're writing more for those who haven't?[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, I learned long ago you are a lost cause ;).

I've been writing these things for the people like LinkinPrime who never played the originals, tried the 3 minute demo and were not impressed. The demo does not convey much beyond the core gameplay mechanic (and not the level advancement, the different missions, etc).

This demo reminded me I still need to get We Love Katamari...if anyone has it for trade, cml.

Beautiful Katamari will definately be a day 1 purchase for me at only $40.

^^^ All indications are that it will be $40, which I think is fair given the other versions (which stepped up from $20->$30->$40) and the fact that this has online play. Sure, they aren't investing a TON in gee-whiz graphics (thus there's no justification for the standard next-gen premium, really). I'm hoping for cleaner, jaggy-free graphics, which seems to be assured from the demo, along with perhaps, as you say, bigger Katamari's (more objects). They also supposedly got rid of the loading screens mid-level. Also, I'll assume (though no proof) that the slowdown that sometimes occured in the PS2 versions will be gone.

I think they really could have pushed this at $50, so I'm glad for the $40 price and will happily cash in some of my Gamecrazy credit for it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is this the same 3min demo that was on OXM a couple months back?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely - and I should know ;). It's nice not to have to load up the disc to play it though! I decided to push my Katamari skills the other day with it and played it 3 times in a row, trying to get the biggest Katamari I could. I think I got it to 4.75m or so (either that or 5.75, my memory is not what it used to be). It's pretty tough to push it much beyond that though there is still a fair amount of stuff to collect at that point.

IGN hands on for the online aspects:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/824/824484p1.html

It sounds like they have a pretty full-featured online component here and it is good that it is being tested out (and shown off) with all those features this early.

Up in the cosmos you can soar to each planet or other galactic object you've created and check your stats against the rest of the world. These are the standard leaderboards everyone might expect to be included. Things get more interesting when you move into the Everyone's Katamari board. There you can find the total number of players, your personal katamari total size, how many katamaris have been rolled around the world, and the global katamari size found when everything everyone connected to Xbox Live has collected is added together. You can even check your percentage contribution to this total number down to 15 decimal points.

The intriguing stat tracking continues with the cousin and present leaderboards. Accessing these shows you all of the hidden presents and cousins you have found in the game. It also tells you how popular they are with you and the world, compiling everyone's usage data for you to see. The leaderboards round out with one for cookies with categories for everything from total cookies collected to the number you've eaten. You'll be doing a lot of cookie munching if you want to get to the top of that leaderboard.

Halo, Schmalo... This, along with the Simpsons game, are my most anticipated 360 games this Fall. $40 for HD Katamari with all these online features seems like a great deal to me.

I thought I was going to pass on this, but I found myself playing the demo quite often so this has become a day one purchase for me. Thanks io for covering the other gameplay aspects for Katamari noobs like myself

[quote name='Kendal']I just moved my Ratchet and Clank reserve to this. I am stoked. I can't wait to play it.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic news. I'd be up for some multiplayer when you get it.

[quote name='deadite76']I thought I was going to pass on this, but I found myself playing the demo quite often so this has become a day one purchase for me. Thanks io for covering the other gameplay aspects for Katamari noobs like myself[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, a Katamari noob, eh? Well, I'll see you online then ;). This is a game where I might just be able to hold my own. Well, at least in the first few weeks with the new 360 players who never played Katamari before :lol:. I better gets my wins whilst I can.

[quote name='deadite76']IGN gives it a 7.8![/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I expected and hoped for. It says the game is the same Katamari as before with better resolution (as Cheapy noted a while back). In addition, it has the 4-player online and what sounds like some awesome leaderboards. Also, as expected (and a slight disappointment), the single-player is a bit short though the reviewer doesn't compare it directly to the 2 PS2 games (is it the same "short" as those or what? 'cause they weren't too bad). I know that we'll get exploited via DLC later - new levels, challenges, etc. I'm not too happy about that aspect, though the low $40 starting price helps with that.

Anyway, I can't wait. I need to clear my slate of other games before then. So I need to finish up Blue Dragon, put some time into Puzzle Quest (haven't started yet), and then put off Zelda Phantom Hourglass for a few weeks ;).

This is one game I'll definately be picking up right away even at full retail ($40 is nice once in a while nowadays)

I paid off my reserve so I can go in and pick up the game tomorrow when I get home from school. I also traded in a XBL head set and got a Halo 3 Legendary pin! I can't wait to waddyup into my life tomorrow! :D

bread's done
Back