Beautiful Katamari - Gen. Discussion & Info

Are you guys really expecting it in store tomorrow (ie, Tues)? One of the weekly ads shows it arriving Thurs. But normally it would be shipping Tues with availability on Weds. If GC calls me tomorrow I'll run up there and get it but I'm expecting it Weds or Thurs...

[quote name='io']Are you guys really expecting it in store tomorrow (ie, Tues)? One of the weekly ads shows it arriving Thurs. But normally it would be shipping Tues with availability on Weds. If GC calls me tomorrow I'll run up there and get it but I'm expecting it Weds or Thurs...[/quote]

I got the call tonight. So I will be super pissed if it isn't in store tomorrow.

Glad I didn't pick up CSI.. I'll use that $40 for Beautiful Katamari instead.. I really hope I can get ahold of it tomorrow, as i'm on fall break.. yayyyyy!

Beautiful katamari.. Orange Box.. Guitar Hero.. what a great month!

[quote name='InvaderZim']Hoping TRU has it in store before the B2G1 free sale ends.[/quote]

My TRU had a stack of these behind the counter on Sunday. I didnt even realize it wasnt technically out yet, so I didnt inquire about price, or wether they would even sell it to me. But 100% for sure it was there.

[quote name='Scorch']Beautiful katamari.. Orange Box.. Guitar Hero.. what a great month![/quote]

Fall, as we all know, is definitely the best time for gaming. It also puts a hurtin' on our wallets. Halo 3, Orange Box, Katamari, Conan(probably the only one in this thread getting it) and Guitar Hero 3. At least I have $68 in trade in cred.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I bought it today, what a good birthday purchase for me.[/QUOTE]

Hey it's my birthday to. Rock on, happy birthday man.

Gamefly sent this to me today - can't wait.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hey it's my birthday to. Rock on, happy birthday man.

Gamefly sent this to me today - can't wait.[/QUOTE]

happy birthday to you too, we own.

My friend just bought this for me today for no reason whatsoever. What a great guy :)

The first level after the training seemed oddly difficult, but the suqsequent levels seem right on. I love it :)

[quote name='daroga']My friend just bought this for me today for no reason whatsoever. What a great guy :)
[/QUOTE]
Soooomebody likes you! Lucky! ;)

I wish I had friends like that, anything more than a meal and I'm pretty sure a form is required to fill out.

For the people that bought a copy, did you get it at Gamestop? I went looking today, but Best Buy said it'll be released tomorrow, and Gamecrazy said it'll be released on the 19th.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']For the people that bought a copy, did you get it at Gamestop? I went looking today, but Best Buy said it'll be released tomorrow, and Gamecrazy said it'll be released on the 19th.[/quote]
I picked mine up from GameCrazy. My store only had one preorder, so we got the one for the preorder, and one extra. I got the extra one. GameCrazy stores should've gotten it in today, but I guess if they didn't have any preorders for it, it'll be in on Friday.

[quote name='Scorch']I picked mine up from GameCrazy. My store only had one preorder, so we got the one for the preorder, and one extra. I got the extra one. GameCrazy stores should've gotten it in today, but I guess if they didn't have any preorders for it, it'll be in on Friday.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I preordered it then - they called me this morning and I swumg by there to get it. I'll be playing in a bit - see you guys online. Daroga, maybe we can finally play against each other ;). Scorch too - and anyone else here for that matter. Just send me a friend request...

I really don't like the whole "keep the katamari at this temperature!".. you work your ass off to get it up to nearly 10,000 degrees.. you hit a vending machine.. bam, water douses out the katamari. fuck.

and congrats io.. i wish i was a forum guide :(

[quote name='daroga']Sounds good. :)

And congrats on your forum guide status, io! Where you guiding it up?[/QUOTE]

Video Game Deals... I would expect more announcements soon. It seems Cheapy just started there first.

Well, as for the game, I just, uh, finished it. Yeah, there's at least one extra level (making Uranus - no jokes allowed ;)). But if there isn't significant content beyond that, then this game is VERY short. I'd say about half the length of the PS2 games. I'll have to check it out more later, but if that is the case they definitely intend on milking the DLC. There are fewer areas to roll around in too. The other games all had the main house-town-city-world area and then special secondary areas for other challenges (like the school and the zoo). I have yet to see a secondary area in this game. But like I said, there may be mroe content beyond the credits.

Also, the global leaderboard only shows 1400 people playing this as of late Tues night. I would have expected a few more!

And don't get me wrong - there's still lots to do with the levels I completed. I didn't get very good scores in any of them, and there are still cousins and presents to find.

Plus, like the PSP version, there is a cool old-school 2D scroller level to play during the credits. My kids are playing that over and over right now. It is actually fairly challenging.

If anyone wants to try out the online I'll be available in a bit.

DomLando - Fry's has it for $34.99 ($5 off). That's the only deal I've seen.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']For the people that bought a copy, did you get it at Gamestop? I went looking today, but Best Buy said it'll be released tomorrow, and Gamecrazy said it'll be released on the 19th.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop here, heard the same thing from Best Buy. Last copy at gamestop, shelf copy out of wrapping. But I had just enough credit to cover it, and damnit, I wasn't waiting another day for more katamari goodness.

io, dunno if you've noticed, but you can redo every level in a timed mode, which some people might find a bit of a cop out to add on the length, but I'm into it, because we used to split things up on the old game to find as many 'make your own challenges' type of things on Cyberscore.net to compete on and make the games seem much longer than they really are.

I'm up for online play if I can steal it away from my husband, if anyone wants to add us :)

Ah, so that's who that is ;). I just turned it off but I'll start it back up and add you. Maybe was can give one online match a try.

The online mode is kind of weird. Having a blast with the single player so far, though. I never got a chance to try out the PS2 versions, but I'm really enjoying this.

If anyone wants to add me on Live, I'll be playing a lot tomorrow I'm sure. Might as well try for those 10 online matches/50 online matches achievements.

[quote name='garfep']The online mode is kind of weird. Having a blast with the single player so far, though. I never got a chance to try out the PS2 versions, but I'm really enjoying this.

If anyone wants to add me on Live, I'll be playing a lot tomorrow I'm sure. Might as well try for those 10 online matches/50 online matches achievements.[/QUOTE]

The cookie achievements will be pretty easy too. I think they are for 100 and 1000? I played 5 quick games with Jezebelseven and even though she won 4 of the 5, I ended up with 260 cookies ;). Much like Mario Party, a bonus amount of cookies (much more than the winner gets) is awarded based on a random attribute of the match. For example, I won a couple of bonuses for "most dashes".

I'm not sure if the 5 different games we played counted as 5 matches or just 1 overall session though. I guess I will find out if I play 5 more, so I'm definitely up for that.

The online portion is pretty fun though, and would be a blast with 4 players. I'm more a fan of the wide open levels. A few were like cage matches (close quarters, limited things to pick up - you madly dash into each other to dislodge items). Those are OK, but I suck at dashing so I prefer the larger levels.

As for the single player - I played the last level that opens up after you get the credits, and I don't see any additional content. This means the game is VERY short - like I said before, about half the size of the PS2 games. If you aren't a big Katamari fan I'd recommend it as a rental. Hell, I beat it and got 250 achievement points in about 3 hours. If you are a big Katamari fan then it is still worth getting because you can, of course, replay the levels to get better scores and each level also has a time attack option. Plus there's all the collecting (cousins, presents, all the objects), which is made more fun by the addition of achievements. I never felt the need to be complete on the PS2 versions but I will do it here because of the enticement of nerd points ;).

We have one non-standard level in the game - the 10,000 degree heat-collecting one. But the other games had so much more. One of my favorites was collecting a certain value (in $) of items. That one required quite a bit of strategy as you needed to find little things like diamond rings amongst all the larger objects.

Of course, there is going to be downloadable content. I noticed that I already have the game showing 1250 possible points, which I've never seen before (I've never downloaded any DLC that added to a game before). I'm not sure why it is showing that now, before anything is available. Can anyone explain that? I thought the extra 250 got added once an expansion was released (and downloaded).

[quote name='io']Of course, there is going to be downloadable content. I noticed that I already have the game showing 1250 possible points, which I've never seen before (I've never downloaded any DLC that added to a game before). I'm not sure why it is showing that now, before anything is available. Can anyone explain that? I thought the extra 250 got added once an expansion was released (and downloaded).[/QUOTE]

GoW added more Achievements after an update and GRAW2 is getting more via an update as well.

[quote name='Scorch']I really don't like the whole "keep the katamari at this temperature!".. you work your ass off to get it up to nearly 10,000 degrees.. you hit a vending machine.. bam, water douses out the katamari. fuck.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was having trouble with that mission as well. I got mine to about 9,000 degrees, then I started to hit ice cream cones, snowmen, and what I think were ice chests. It took me three tries but I got it. BTW, I ended up getting a copy at Gamestop.

online is kinda fun. I had a 2player game in a stage collecting footballs.
Anyone notice some of the music sound really like j-pop? I think that rumor about Namco putting in music from IDOLM@STER is true

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone know if TRU is stocking this game?? I would really like to pick it up there and use there B2G1 sale.[/quote]

Ditto. I think I will roll out today and check for it.

[quote name='Deefuzz']Ditto. I think I will roll out today and check for it.[/QUOTE]
I see what you did there. Quite clever.

[quote name='io'] One of my favorites was collecting a certain value (in $) of items. That one required quite a bit of strategy as you needed to find little things like diamond rings amongst all the larger objects.[/QUOTE]

Save the Pandas! :D I was so awful at that level but it was one of my favorites too, I really hope some of the DLC includes that type of play. Another level like the sumo level wouldn't go amiss as well!

Thanks for the online match, io!

Well my GS didn't have any extras, so I didn't get to buy it today. I guess that's what I get for not preordering.

Oh well, I just ending up ordering on eStarland.com using my store credit there, so hopefully it won't take long to ship. (They are located in Virginia and I'm in Maryland, so it shouldn't be long)

[quote name='deadite76']GoW added more Achievements after an update and GRAW2 is getting more via an update as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware they can increase the max to 1250 with some DLC (Oblivion with Shivering Isles too). What I thought was odd is that this one started out at 1250 right off the bat. It didn't even do a patch update when I started it up and yet it said there were 1250 total achievement points available.

I am stuck on a level. I am having a lot of fun with this game. The controls are a little off from what I am used to, but it is awesome. I wonder what the DLC will be like for this game.

[quote name='daroga']Just a heads up guys, remember this game does NOT auto-save. I lost my whole inital play-time with that mistake. :p[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, the Katamari curse ;). I've got my kids trained to do that with their own games (of course, this being the 360 they each want their own achievements which means me playing through all the levels for both of them as well!).

Seems alot of stores are not carrying this game!:bomb:

If they are only 1 or 2 copies at each store. Sucks had to drive to three locations to get one copy of a great game. Loving the short load times and the great goofy music.

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone know if TRU is stocking this game?? I would really like to pick it up there and use there B2G1 sale.[/QUOTE]

It was available at my local TRU as of yesterday.

It took me forever to find a copy tonight. I went to TRU, Best Buy, Circuit City and 2 Wal-Marts before I decided to check in EB. They had 3 copies so I grabbed one there. It was the one place I didnt think would have it. Shoulda just went there first. I quickly learned I suck at the game, but its fun.

Some DLC went up:
Title: Beautiful Katamari
Content: Milky Way Constellations
Price: 200 Microsoft Points
Availability: Only in Canada, Japan, Mexico, United States
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone) Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Fantasy Violence] Roll up all 88 constellations to make the Milky Way. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content: The Weaver Girl
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone) Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Fantasy Violence] Collect lots of string and yarn to make the Weaver Girl, Vega. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content: Shopping Spree
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone) Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Fantasy Violence] Be a thrifty shopper and go on a shopping spree to make a Space Station. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content: High-calorie Katamari
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone)Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Fantasy Violence] Collect lots of food to make Cetus the Whale. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Wow, I looked earlier today and there was nothing. I didn't expect it this soon. So we've already got $10 worth of extra content. Kind of pisses me off since had these levels been in the game I'd say it would have been closer to the PS2 versions in terms of content. Just going off the descriptions it looks like these are the item and value type levels I had wanted.

I guess, given the half-price CC points I still have, $5 isn't too bad for the set.

io, let us know what you think if/when you download the packs. You're the resident Katamari afficianado afterall and I plan on picking up the game shortly.

bread's done
Back