Best Album of 2006

Repost?

Panacea - Ink is My Drink

Runners up:

The Blood Brothers - Young Machetes
Ghostland Observatory - Paparazzi Lightning

[quote name='onetrackmind']The Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta![/quote]

Sweet, you even have lyrics from their best song under your name. Nice

Have you been to any of their shows in St. Louis? I've seen them there a few times.

[quote name='jwarren879']Sweet, you even have lyrics from their best song under your name. Nice

Have you been to any of their shows in St. Louis? I've seen them there a few times.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them more times than i can count (used to see them all the time at the fireside as well during high school. Even saw some Tuesday/Baxter/Broadway shows. Hear any of their side project: the falcon yet?

[quote name='jwarren879']Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium[/QUOTE]

Its certainly a prime example of an great CD fucked by bad mastering. However that has been fixed on the LP release as that release was given a different (and far superior) mastering.

CD:
4868uz9.jpg

Loud loud loud. Clip clip clip. Smash smash smash. There's no highs and there is no lows in the volume. Just nothing but constant loudness. Any dynamics to the song (as in moments where its supposed to be quieter) are now lost. Plus you lose a good deal of clarity and defintion in the instuments. Yeah you might hear stuff louder but that does not equal hearing it BETTER. To be honest I'm tired just looking at this.

LP:
4867pb5.jpg

Much better. Yeah its not as "loud" when you look at it but notice how the song builds up in volume progressively during the song. Also notice there is quiet and loud in this version. Which means better dynamics which means a more easier and pleasuring listening experience overall.

To get a better idea on all of this here's a comparison clip between the two.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NV6X07E4

The first 45 seconds is the CD. Then after a 5 second spot of silence the same 45 seconds is from the LP.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I've seen them more times than i can count (used to see them all the time at the fireside as well during high school. Even saw some Tuesday/Baxter/Broadway shows. Hear any of their side project: the falcon yet?[/quote]

I've only been to Chicago a few times so I missed out on Baxter and The Broadways. Though I did make a trip to see the Lawrence Arms at the Congress Theater last November. Did you see them this summer during the monstrous storms? That was fun. I have both of the Falcon CD's and I love the first one but haven't listened to Unicornography much. You?

Copied from the other topic, with one addition:

Ghostface killah - Fishscale

Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead

Nellie McKay - Pretty Little Head

Tool - 10,000 Days

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

[quote name='blandstalker']Which is $6.99 at Best Buy this week. Got mine yesterday.[/QUOTE] Holy shit. I never expected to see that at bb. :lol:

I got my copy back in November.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Its certainly a prime example of an great CD fucked by bad mastering. However that has been fixed on the LP release as that release was given a different (and far superior) mastering.

CD:
4868uz9.jpg

Loud loud loud. Clip clip clip. Smash smash smash. There's no highs and there is no lows in the volume. Just nothing but constant loudness. Any dynamics to the song (as in moments where its supposed to be quieter) are now lost. Plus you lose a good deal of clarity and defintion in the instuments. Yeah you might hear stuff louder but that does not equal hearing it BETTER. To be honest I'm tired just looking at this.

LP:
4867pb5.jpg

Much better. Yeah its not as "loud" when you look at it but notice how the song builds up in volume progressively during the song. Also notice there is quiet and loud in this version. Which means better dynamics which means a more easier and pleasuring listening experience overall.

To get a better idea on all of this here's a comparison clip between the two.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NV6X07E4

The first 45 seconds is the CD. Then after a 5 second spot of silence the same 45 seconds is from the LP.[/QUOTE]
Is it possible to find a rip of the lp? I've noticed this about the CD, and honestly I don't feel like shelling out more money for the LP.

I haven't determined mine yet but my friend's is Pistolita - Oliver Under the Moon

I really like the Demetri Martin cd entitled "These are Jokes"

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Lamb of God - Sacrament
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Iio - Poetica

The Roots - Game Theory
Roaring out the gates with their Def Jam debut, the Roots knocked out a searing commentary on a world spun out of control. Game Theory is a stern warning unlike anything previously seen from the inimitable Philly band. Never before have they been so serious, so focused, and so inspired to create a full-length of such veracity, and more surprisingly, with such ferocity. While it's not quite a panicky, state-of-emergency declaration, the album's mood is dominated by a coercive urgency that's exceptionally effective at conveying the group's message of sociopolitical rebuke. The darker tracks on the album are claustrophobic with paranoia, and even when the music slows to catch a breath the lyrics don't give up the disquiet, to the point that no song finds escape from the spectre of a crying, bleeding world. Long ago, Public Enemy's Chuck D famously proclaimed rap's viability as the "black CNN"; while Game Theory isn't the first modern-era album to justify that assertion, it's one of its most meaningful embodiments, and certainly one of the most complete artistic statements that hip-hop has seen in the past decade.

My full list and write-up is posted on my MySpace blog: Jezreel's Top Albums of 2006

I also posted it at my Multiply account in case MySpace is acting up: Jezreel's Top Albums of 2006

bread's done
Back