Best Buy 50th Anniversary sale starts 8/18 @ 10 p.m. CDT

donny2112

CAGiversary!
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/18/12532270/best-buy-discounts-50-anniversary

Best Buy celebrates 50th anniversary with MacBook Pro, iPhone, and PS4 deals

Best Buy is celebrating its 50th anniversary by launching 50 deals available for 50 hours. Discounts include $150 off select MacBook Pro laptops, $400 off a 65-inch Samsung 4K UHD TV, and $180 off Beats Studio Wireless On-Ear headphones. The deals go live in Best Buy's retail stores and online from 10PM CT today, with the discounts ending this Saturday at 11.59PM CT. (Best Buy's actual 50th anniversary is Monday, August 22nd.)

Here are some of the other deals, available while stocks last.

• Save an extra $150 on the MacBook Pro with Best Buy's student deals program (a total saving of $300)
  • Save up to 70 percent on LEGO Dimensions, Skylanders and Amiibo products
  • Save $50 on Garmin's Vivosmart HR activity tracker
  • Buy a PS4 Call of Duty bundle and get Destiny and two other games of your choice for free
  • Get a $50 gift card with purchase of a Swagtron T1 self-balancing hoverboard (online only)
  • Get an iPhone 6S from $1 or an iPhone 6S Plus from $99.99 with a two-year activation on Sprint or Verizon Wireless (saving $200)
  • Get a $200 gift card with purchase of iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus and activation with an AT&T Next plan
Gaming-wise, toys-to-life figures will be on sale up to 70%, and PS4 BlOps3 bundle+Destiny+2 pick-your-own-games, probably for MSRP of the BlOps3 bundle. We'll see once the sale starts tonight at 10 p.m. CDT. This post is a Wiki, so feel free to update it with the deals as they come in. ;)

Edit:

May be able to combine with the $10 off $100 with VISA checkout promotion going on, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can verify that the code in the :ps4: version of Might no 9 does include the ps4 digital version. I wasn't sure since the code sheet didnt say exactly that it had it but will trade in the disk tomorrow. $5 seems about right for the game, lol.

Oh and I picked up Minecraft the console version and the Star Trek First contact blu ray. They have some sort of movie ticket promo with it. I happen to have come across the Family guy star wars trilogy for $10. Im sure that was worth it.

I can verify that the code in the :ps4: version of Might no 9 does include the ps4 digital version. I wasn't sure since the code sheet didnt say exactly that it had it but will trade in the disk tomorrow. $5 seems about right for the game, lol.
Hmm, it's supposed to be real bad but that's real cheap.

Is the cross buy code on the DLC sheet? That's all I'm seeing on unboxing videos.

I ended up buying The Last of Us remastered.  Came to $7.55 after my GCU and a $5 coupon I had.  I've never played the game before so now I can in all that 1080p glory haha.  Battlefront deluxe was tempting but I am going to bet on an ultimate edition releasing soon. 

Wow, Star Wars Battlefront really cratered. $8 less than I paid on sale, after GCU at BB only 3 months ago. My own fault for breaking a CAG rule: never, EVER pay more than $20.

Ah man, is this the lowest (with GCU) all of the Lego Dimensions have gone down?  I don't have Amazon Prime so this seems like such an awesome deal for them.  My wallet cries and I still want more.

Tell me about it. I now have every single wave 1 character, with the exception of the Ninjago and Chima stuff where I only got one of each because I don't care about those franchises. This after first telling myself I'd only get the packs required to unlock every achievement, and then telling myself later I'd only get the packs required for 100%.

This Best Buy sale has seen me pick up the Joker/Harley pack, Bane, Legolas, and Bart. Even now, I'd probably still pick up all the Ninjago and Chima guys if they went on super clearance for a buck each. I'm addicted to this junk.

Hmm, it's supposed to be real bad but that's real cheap.

Is the cross buy code on the DLC sheet? That's all I'm seeing on unboxing videos.
It's a single code, that redeems the DLC and the copy for the game on PS4/PS3. Vita currently not available but I assume once it's available we'll get it free.

Although the Ray expansion for the PS3 version wasn't redeemed.

Ordered Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe for PS4. I was going to wait for goty, but it feels like the sequel will be out by the time all the dlc is done for this one.

It will absolutely change your life and the way you work and play on the PC. I think 27" is fine at 1080p personally but my secondary and tertiary monitors are 24" but I already had them when I bought the 27" so I went the other way and added a new primary.
I gave my mom my old PC, which was a basic Del setup, so I still have the 21 inch monitor from that. I'm considering giving her the 27 inch and using the 21 inch as a secondary, but I feel like there's no real point to do so.

My main concern is creating more clutter, because I'll most likely have to get a bigger desk for both monitors, when I've been trying to get rid of stuff to make more space. But I can't help but feel like this deal is too good to pass on.

i JUST GOT THE 2 year membership now. Is it possible for me to order the games online now without membership to hold them and then go to best buy store to activate my membership ? Will they give me price adjustment?
What you should've done is bought the games at the same time as the membership, then you would've gotten the discount automatically. Now you just have to wait. It took about 30 hours for them to activate mine.

Just did the math...$155 for the LEGO Dimensions stuff I don't have...4 Level Packs, all 4 Team Packs, and (I think) 14 Fun Packs. Might get everything but the Fun Packs (except those needed for specific skills)...I can wait for another sale or inevitable clearance on the rest...

I mean I told the guy that I would just drive down the street to the other store and pick them up there instead, and that all he was doing was making me waste like 5 minutes walking inside the other one. He just kinda nervously said no and that I could only buy one. Of course then I drove to the other store and picked up two with no issue. Just a stupid way to do business, the game is on sale for a reason and you have like 20 copies sitting in the cage, just get rid of them! Not like I was trying to buy 10...

Granted, this was the store that wouldn't price match L4D2 with Target because it was a "value game" (seriously what the fuck?), when the other store near me PMed it no problem. Must just be a bunch of weirdos at the store I went to.
There is no chain store bible that the employees have to follow to the letter. So much stuff is up to their discretion, which is how you end up with middle managers and their god complexes.

I've had to deal with a middle manager who didn't know her store's own policies, so she just made crap up to deny me. She went from not knowing to suddenly knowing in 10 seconds.

Only got Mighty No. 9 PS4 since I didn't want to pay shipping, and even then I just price matched to TRU with my rewards card + a gift card and $5 rewards lol also got RE5 PS4 after price matching to amazon. Came to $20 in the end! Though my RE5 box is slightly broken. Ugh, why TRU...

Wanted The Order but my Best Buy was sold out. But oh well.

Seriously? Dammit, the sales associate even told me that it has HDR. Hopefully they won't hassle me about the exchange since it's out of its box (if they want the sale, at least).
I hadn't looked as I was just agreeing with that guy's point but it doesn't look like it, at least not the way that you would want. Samsung says it is HDR compatible and lists it's spec as "HDR Premium". What that means isn't 100% clear but based on what information is on the page most likely means that it can display HDR content but isn't actually true HDR so it might enhance it a little but the color range and better detail won't be the same. Looking at the really poor information they give on it the reason is most likely that it's only an 8 bit panel and not 10 bit (no reason for them to put a more expensive 10 bit in if it's not needing to meet spec requirements) but may also not have other required features like local area dimming or the required brightness. Their site is so bad and they like to call everything by their own stupid names so you can't compare.

What you want is a TV that specifically supports HDR10 with a 10 bit panel. HDR10 is the most common of the two standards right now (what the One S uses) and likely to be the winner even though Dolby Vision (the other standard) is arguably superior.

This reminds me of when Sony and other brands were pushing 120 sps ("scenes per second", a bullshit private made standard that works out to 60hz designed to fool people into thinking it was 120hz.)

What you want is a TV that specifically supports HDR10 with a 10 bit panel. HDR10 is the most common of the two standards right now (what the One S uses) and likely to be the winner even though Dolby Vision (the other standard) is arguably superior.
Is this another HD-DVD vs Blu-ray thing? At least Microsoft would be on the right side this time.

I hadn't looked as I was just agreeing with that guy's point but it doesn't look like it, at least not the way that you would want. Samsung says it is HDR compatible and lists it's spec as "HDR Premium". What that means isn't 100% clear but based on what information is on the page most likely means that it can display HDR content but isn't actually true HDR so it might enhance it a little but the color range and better detail won't be the same. Looking at the really poor information they give on it the reason is most likely that it's only an 8 bit panel and not 10 bit (no reason for them to put a more expensive 10 bit in if it's not needing to meet spec requirements) but may also not have other required features like local area dimming or the required brightness. Their site is so bad and they like to call everything by their own stupid names so you can't compare.

Thanks for the chunk of info. Here's hoping for a seamless exchange tomorrow.

Is this another HD-DVD vs Blu-ray thing? At least Microsoft would be on the right side this time.
Sort of but with standards instead of formats. HDR10 is open source and seems more backed by the movie studios, Dolby Vision is Dolby's creation so it's their property and a closed standard. Both are pretty similar but Dolby requires a higher brightness and 12 bit instead of 10 but color support (lots more colors). So part of it is the studio support and cost but other than LG and some Vizio sets the industry has mostly backed HDR10 because it's more inline with current technology and can be applied to more price points.

Seriously? Dammit, the sales associate even told me that it has HDR. Hopefully they won't hassle me about the exchange since it's out of its box (if they want the sale, at least).

Don't feel bad my man, I did a ton of research and still almost bought a TV that didn't have true HDR. I love Samsung as well but my research has basically shown that there seems to be only one TV under $1,000 that has true HDR and that's the Vizio p50. Now I'm just playing the waiting game as I've heard that specific model has already been $200 cheaper in the past so it likely will again.

I've noticed a lot of deals recently as they are trying to get rid of all these TV's that don't have true HDR before all the new sets come out that do and before anyone is the wiser. But trust me, even at $1000 the Vizio p50 is the best deal if you want a true HDR experience. That's the one I'm waiting on.

Take a look at this IGN article on HDR, there's a lot of useful info.
And this actually is not a good guide at all unless you just need to know the fundamentals of HDR. The TV's they list are either $3,000 or aren't true HDR sets. See, even IGN doesn't know the real HDR sets from the fake ones.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews

This is a great site to get a bead on what all these TV's can do, or should I say what most don't do even though they say they do. I guess they just got rid of their overall score system but it's best anyway to just read a few reviews and you'll find out real quick how tricky the TV buying game is now.

If you are referring to the Sony Gold Wireless Headset then its worth every penny. Prob one of if not the best gaming headset you can get considering its 100 dollar price tag.
I was a big fan of the gold headsets too until mine broke after 8 months. Turns out they have a major flaw and tend to break off at the hinges where a small metal dowel breaks through the flimsy plastic.

Also they don't have true mic monitoring. Just two pre-set options and even at the loudest setting you can barely hear yourself. So you end up shouting all the time and have to keep asking other players whether they can hear you.

Don't feel bad my man, I did a ton of research and still almost bought a TV that didn't have true HDR. I love Samsung as well but my research has basically shown that there seems to be only one TV under $1,000 that has true HDR and that's the Vizio p50. Now I'm just playing the waiting game as I've heard that specific model has already been $200 cheaper in the past so it likely will again.

I've noticed a lot of deals recently as they are trying to get rid of all these TV's that don't have true HDR before all the new sets come out that do and before anyone is the wiser. But trust me, even at $1000 the Vizio p50 is the best deal if you want a true HDR experience. That's the one I'm waiting on.
55" is 200 off for 1100 if you have room. I read somewhere the 50" model had a lower HZ rating. And hdr supposedly wasn't there and vizio planned to patch it in somehow on the p series.

I was a big fan of the gold headsets too until mine broke after 8 months. Turns out they have a major flaw and tend to break off at the hinges where a small metal dowel breaks through the flimsy plastic.
The same thing happened to my gold headset, I duct taped it for a while before it completely fell apart and I had to throw it away.

That IGN article is pretty solid but the 6300 one site says has HDR 10, one site doesn't so who knows. Otherwise good stuff.

Yep, the P50 is what I have and it's great. HDR 10 was just added earlier this month in a firmware update and it's a 10 bit panel which even in some sets that will play HDR 10 content don't have. 10 bit panel being what enables the greater range of colors for those playing along at home.

That IGN article is pretty solid but the 6300 one site says has HDR 10, one site doesn't so who knows. Otherwise good stuff.
I think it's just the wording, whole article talks about HDR 10 and the other TV's simply state HDR 10 while that 6300 on ign says"HDR 10 support"which I guess is there way of saying HDR premium. Looking at that model on rtings it states it's a 8 bit panel.

I think it's just the wording, whole article talks about HDR 10 and the other TV's simply state HDR 10 while that 6300 on ign says"HDR 10 support"which I guess is there way of saying HDR premium. Looking at that model on rtings it states it's a 8 bit panel.
So it sounds like the same deal as on that 6500 which isn't surprising since they're the same line.

bread's done
Back