Best Buy DotD: Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (360) - $24.99

[quote name='Blaster man']I just watched some YouTube videos and it seems that you can easily add the old HDD to a new slim model without voiding the slim warranty. I thought you had to open the thing up but it seems that there is a bay that you can open/expose with a button. Obviously I'll void my 60GB HDD when I take it apart though (you have to use the physical HDD and not the whole chunk of plastic that attaches to the old Xbox 360). I already have Fable 3 but never played any Halo games, so the $100 for the 250GB would be for just the HDD and Halo (not Fable which I own the disk for already).

As far as being strapped for cash, I can buy this stuff but I've got kids so I don't like to go throwing money away unnecessarily. I could play the Monster game with my daughter (which is why my wife doesn't care what I do) but is it worth it? Is Kinect really that well supported? Would I be dropping $200 + $25 just to only ever play one game on it?[/QUOTE]

You'll have to figure that out for yourself. As for me, there are enough games out right now that warrant a Kinect purchase:

Dance Central series - wife wants a fun way to get/stay in shape plus her family is going to love playing this as well

Kinect Sports series - My wife, son and I are going to enjoy these games tremendously.

Once Upon a Monster - Great game for the kids.

Disneyland Adventures - Ditto.

Gunstringer - More of a gamer's game.

Child of Eden - best version of this game

Fruit Ninja - Good clean fun for everyone.

Kinectimals - Will eventually get this for the kids.

I don't know what the future looks like for the Kinect, but I think these games will more than hold our attention in the near future especially since we have other systems in the house that are played as well.

[quote name='RCS0926']You'll have to figure that out for yourself. As for me, there are enough games out right now that warrant a Kinect purchase:

Dance Central series - wife wants a fun way to get/stay in shape plus her family is going to love playing this as well

Kinect Sports series - My wife, son and I are going to enjoy these games tremendously.

Once Upon a Monster - Great game for the kids.

Disneyland Adventures - Ditto.

Gunstringer - More of a gamer's game.

Child of Eden - best version of this game

Fruit Ninja - Good clean fun for everyone.

Kinectimals - Will eventually get this for the kids.

I don't know what the future looks like for the Kinect, but I think these games will more than hold our attention in the near future especially since we have other systems in the house that are played as well.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'm convinced. I'm going to pick one up. I saw some fake slim HDD enclosures on Ebay for $3-4. I'll buy one of those. Now the question is, what's the best store to buy this at and which one will have the most inventory so that I can actually enjoy Thanksgiving with the family? I THINK I remember Best Buy last year having stacks of consoles on Black Friday. Also, (I mentioned this in the Black Friday thread), I might try to sell my refurbished console (listed as a core) bundled with some games I don't want. maybe I can get 100 for it, that would be nice.

[quote name='Blaster man']I just watched some YouTube videos and it seems that you can easily add the old HDD to a new slim model without voiding the slim warranty. I thought you had to open the thing up but it seems that there is a bay that you can open/expose with a button. Obviously I'll void my 60GB HDD when I take it apart though (you have to use the physical HDD and not the whole chunk of plastic that attaches to the old Xbox 360). I already have Fable 3 but never played any Halo games, so the $100 for the 250GB would be for just the HDD and Halo (not Fable which I own the disk for already).

As far as being strapped for cash, I can buy this stuff but I've got kids so I don't like to go throwing money away unnecessarily. I could play the Monster game with my daughter (which is why my wife doesn't care what I do) but is it worth it? Is Kinect really that well supported? Would I be dropping $200 + $25 just to only ever play one game on it?[/QUOTE]

I bought a cheapy hard drive enclosure from china for the slim and it works great. no iessues. Just the enclosure though. The drive itself was microsoft genuine.

[quote name='RCS0926']I think Microsoft says that the ideal starting age for Kinect games is 4. However, I think I read a professional review where the reviewer's 3 year old kid had no trouble playing the game. I also read a user review on Gamefaqs where the reviewer said that his 2-year old enjoyed playing the game with him/her.[/QUOTE]

My kid just turned 2 last month. She likes playing the instruments on Air Band, and she can kinda play the Kinectimals demo. I tried the Once Upon a Monster demo, and it just seemed like a little too much for her, she didn't follow the directions all that well. I'll probably wait to buy it at a cheaper price when she's older.

[quote name='confoosious']I bought a cheapy hard drive enclosure from china for the slim and it works great. no iessues. Just the enclosure though. The drive itself was microsoft genuine.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up a $4 enclosure from China on Ebay. Hope it doesn't take 10 years to get here. Also i bought Once Upon A Monster with the expectation that I'll be able to find a 4GB Kinect bundle next week for $200 on black friday.

[quote name='Blaster man']Alright, I'm convinced. I'm going to pick one up. I saw some fake slim HDD enclosures on Ebay for $3-4. I'll buy one of those. Now the question is, what's the best store to buy this at and which one will have the most inventory so that I can actually enjoy Thanksgiving with the family? I THINK I remember Best Buy last year having stacks of consoles on Black Friday. Also, (I mentioned this in the Black Friday thread), I might try to sell my refurbished console (listed as a core) bundled with some games I don't want. maybe I can get 100 for it, that would be nice.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you're probably going to get the 4GB Kinect bundle. If that's the case, then the best deal is definitely at Walmart since Walmart is throwing in a $50 gift card as well. This bundle will be available in store at 10PM on Thanksgiving day and might possibly be available online as well. Personally, I'm hoping Amazon matches Walmart's deal, but at the very least, I'd be very surprised if they didn't offer a $200 4GB Kinect bundle. Toys R Us is also offering this bundle (plus $10 GC), and Radioshack is offering the bundle w/o a gift card. Overall, I don't think you should have a problem getting a $200 4GB Kinect bundle.

[quote name='BingoBrown']My kid just turned 2 last month. She likes playing the instruments on Air Band, and she can kinda play the Kinectimals demo. I tried the Once Upon a Monster demo, and it just seemed like a little too much for her, she didn't follow the directions all that well. I'll probably wait to buy it at a cheaper price when she's older.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a 2 year old could play the game without a lot of help from a parent, but I definitely think a 2 year old would have a great time playing alongside Mommy or Daddy.

[quote name='Blaster man']I just picked up a $4 enclosure from China on Ebay. Hope it doesn't take 10 years to get here. Also i bought Once Upon A Monster with the expectation that I'll be able to find a 4GB Kinect bundle next week for $200 on black friday.[/QUOTE]

Oh it will. I wouldn't expect it within 2 weeks.

Rolled into Best Buy armed with my cel-phone and the buy 2 get 1 free on games 39.99 and under coupon. Luckily there were exactly 3 copies of OUAM left in stock. Took the 3 copies to customer service, showed them the online price on my phone and received a price adjustment on all 3 copies from 49.99 to 24.99. Then whipped out the b2g1f coupon and knocked the bottom out of the price from 75+ tax to 50+ tax. Awesome deal....just like buying 1 retail copy and getting 2 free. Only part that went south was this chick actually took tore out and kept my coupon this time. Oh well....I had a good run with that great coupon while it lasted.

Bye By Best Buy. Your selected items have been successfully canceled.

Purchased on Amazon. :)

Also, I've already sold my refurbished 360 through Craigslist, that was fast. I included 5 games that I don't want and that don't have any resell value and my wifi adapter since I won't need that with the new console. I had it listed as or best offer and knocked off $10 for him.

too bad Best Buy already shipped my item. Hopefully it gets here before Thanksgiving or I'll wish I had ordered from amazon with 2 day air.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Rolled into Best Buy armed with my cel-phone and the buy 2 get 1 free on games 39.99 and under coupon. Luckily there were exactly 3 copies of OUAM left in stock. Took the 3 copies to customer service, showed them the online price on my phone and received a price adjustment on all 3 copies from 49.99 to 24.99. Then whipped out the b2g1f coupon and knocked the bottom out of the price from 75+ tax to 50+ tax. Awesome deal....just like buying 1 retail copy and getting 2 free. Only part that went south was this chick actually took tore out and kept my coupon this time. Oh well....I had a good run with that great coupon while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

As much as I want to do this, I'm just going to wait until BF to use my coupon. Great job though :applause: How did you keep them from taking it the first couple of times?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']As much as I want to do this, I'm just going to wait until BF to use my coupon. Great job though :applause: How did you keep them from taking it the first couple of times?[/QUOTE]

Well I kept all the coupons together on the sheet. Whenever I would do a transaction I would pull them out at the end and point to the bar code and say "try this coupon to make sure it works", keeping the coupons in MY hands, not handing them over. This girl had to look at it first, which is where it started going south. It was actually a different girl at CS that proceeded to remove the coupon from the other 3 while the girl finished the transaction. I got double teamed by Best Buy CS girls. lol

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Rolled into Best Buy armed with my cel-phone and the buy 2 get 1 free on games 39.99 and under coupon. Luckily there were exactly 3 copies of OUAM left in stock. Took the 3 copies to customer service, showed them the online price on my phone and received a price adjustment on all 3 copies from 49.99 to 24.99. Then whipped out the b2g1f coupon and knocked the bottom out of the price from 75+ tax to 50+ tax. Awesome deal....just like buying 1 retail copy and getting 2 free. Only part that went south was this chick actually took tore out and kept my coupon this time. Oh well....I had a good run with that great coupon while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

you got extremely lucky on that 'double-dip' No store around here would have done that..

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Well I kept all the coupons together on the sheet. Whenever I would do a transaction I would pull them out at the end and point to the bar code and say "try this coupon to make sure it works", keeping the coupons in MY hands, not handing them over. This girl had to look at it first, which is where it started going south. It was actually a different girl at CS that proceeded to remove the coupon from the other 3 while the girl finished the transaction. I got double teamed by Best Buy CS girls. lol[/QUOTE]

And it's not the kind of double team you want either! lol
I might try that and cough some so they don't want to touch it. :cool:

bread's done
Back