Best Buy Exclusive: 11 Guitar Hero III bonus tracks w/ Metallica's Death Magnetic

KD34XBR960

CAGiversary!
Check out the post below for more info:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category

**UPDATE 9/12/08**

The 11 tracks are the same tracks you can buy on XBOX Live. Only the Special Edition has the code to download the tracks. Technically, you have to go to the GH website and enter the code found in the Special Edition to get the XBOX Live code. Each Special Edition has a unique code and so there will not be a repeat of the Disturbed fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am returning my cd to my local BB since I already got a cd when I bought my concert ticktets. Lame BB, just Lame.....

Well, after telling me on the phone that they were going to transfer my claim to the promotions department, here's the e-mail I received today. They didn't even offer anything, just said that I ordered the wrong item. And I placed my pre-order on 8/31.

I am Monique with Best Buy Customer Care.

I regret to inform you that the eleven exclusive bonus tracks for Guitar Hero III on Xbox 360 are only offered as a Best Buy Exclusive on the Special Edition CD SKU#8990087.
Unfortunately you have purchased the regular edition of Death Magnetic SKU#8978421.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com.

Sincerely,
Monique
Best Buy Customer Care Team

I haven't called BB but at this point I don't think I'm going to bother since they promotions people are now backing out of their original posting for this deal. Didn't someone say Hot Topic had the CD for $5? If that's still true I'll get it there or at least get it a $1 cheaper at Circuit City.

I've a feeling they ARE going to back out. They are sticking to the "Track Listing was on the SE edition" story. They see it as customers not reading into it as they should've - as fucked up as that is, they're sticking to it.

[quote name='Donnums']I've a feeling they ARE going to back out. They are sticking to the "Track Listing was on the SE edition" story. They see it as customers not reading into it as they should've - as fucked up as that is, they're sticking to it.[/QUOTE]
Did you show them the webpage of the original ad?

I uploaded it for anyone to complain to them (give thanks to the person who saved it, Callandor)
http://rapidshare.com/files/145346747/BB_Metallica_Offer_8_31.htm.html

I called to complain. They said I'd have the code by Thursday.

Keep in mind BestBuy also told me that I was garunteed the code in the first place. Sure...

Edit: I also printed out the original pages just in case. The prints were from 9/1. There is no mention on 11 bonus tracks on the SE page, just the 10 tracks on the CD. The "11 Bonus Tracks" part was clearly added after and I recall them editing it. Is there any way to prove this and hold it against them? This is a serious case of false advertisement and they are using sneaky methods to get themselves out of it.

Thanks for posting that link MikeHoncho, and thanks Callandor for saving that page. I'm gonna call them again tomorrow and see what happens. If they still give me problems, I'll try taking it in to my local Best Buy with a printout of that page and see what they say.

Someone's gonna have to compensate us for this. I'll be more than happy for a $20 giftcard or a 1600pt XBL card. I can buy the tracks with those. Either that or I want that damn voucher. I'm not gonna take this lying down. :bomb:

[quote name='mer71']I am still waiting on my CD in the mail. Glad I bought it at HT on Friday.[/QUOTE]
I knew I should have done that. It's better than dealing with Best buy customer service

fucking Best Buy - should have known that it wouldn't work. I don't think I am even going to bother fighting it based upon the results you guys had.

Oh well, it sucks but I still got the CD which is all I was really expecting.

I got my call from the promo dept. this afternoon and it was a no go for me they even knew the ad was worded wrong and the girl would not budge. She told me if I wanted the GH3 tracks I needed to take back the CD to the store and reorder the SE Version for $29.99 once I told her I opened the CD already looking for the GH3 tracks she pretty much told me I was shit out of luck than.

You know, based on all these responses, it doesn't even seem to be worth calling BB anymore. I respect that this was a mistake on their part, but it is a mistake that

1) was the principal reason behind many of us ordering the album, either specifically from BB or AT ALL; and

2) HAS YET TO BE PROPERLY CORRECTED ON THEIR DAMN WEB SITE IN A COMPLETELY CLEAR MANNER! They don't have an intern that can put a little corrected on the ad picture or anything? I doubt it would take very long!

Looks like I finally have a reason to use an EECB. I'll let everyone know if it achieves any results.

Well, I called them and was forwarded to the online department again. The guy I talked to didn't have much idea into the matter; he said he just got a thing from corporate talking about it. He basically told me the same thing they had been - I should've ordered the Special Edition. I kept telling him about the ad not showing the SE until later and then the ad was pulled entirely after that. He just said, "Well, I don't think I can do anything - This is just what I have to tell you." I asked him to transfer me to promotions or someone higher up I can put this complaint too. He forwarded to Customer Relations and spoke with another person. This guy told me that he doesn't really handle the online aspect - he's moreso for the stores and paper ad.
I told him the story and he put me on hold to see what he could do but said he couldn't make any promises. Evenatually, he finds that the Ad DID exist and said while he can't give me a voucher code he'd send me a $20 card in the mail so I could buy the MS Points in store and I should be getting it within the next 7-10 days. Gave me a case number and that was it; I wish more customer service numbers had people who were as helpful as this guy.

Huh, not bad. That's more than fair restitution.

I fired off an email to a name that I came across on the Consumerist. I'll let everyone know what happens.

E-mailed first. Got the expected response by being nice and playing dumb. Now attempting a little more serious tone (plus now, I'm able to send them my copy of the ad, which I could not do in the original e-mail).

It's good to see some users getting positive results, I will watch on others and report mine as they occur.

Just got off the phone and the guy I was talking to was actually quite cool about it. I told him the special edition wasn't available at the time of purchase and that he'll right a note about it and I'll get a reply from Promotions later on by email. Let's see how this goes afterward

talked with a c/s rep - she said she would forward the message to promotions dept and I should receive a response with in a few business days

[quote name='Corvin']Same here. :([/QUOTE]

I told you guys to just go through Amazon. Everyone who ordered there had the cd on Thursday (day before official release).

The ad in this weeks fliers is fixed and only lists the GH3 tracks with the $30 version. So I dont think many more people will have much luck getting them to give you them for buying the $10 one.

To be fair, there are 250k homes/businesses that have been w/o power the past couple of days. I imagine the p.o. was affected as well and it should show up today.

just spoke with best buy, the lady was very nice and understood my point that there was only the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990158&type=product&id=1896576vinyl and the CD version when I made my order. I told her NOW that website has the special edition up, but even then it isn't clear you have to get the special edition CD to get the tracks unless you click on the item. She forward my case to promotions department and I should receive an email in a few days.

I spoke to lady who was nice also, probably the same one because after I said that I ordered on 9/1, she seemed to know about the reason for my call, she even looked at the promotion graphic while I was talking to her. She commented that the picture shows the album with the sticker thing on it and not very legible - but you could make out 'XBOX 360'

Now we'll just have to wait and see

11 tracks for Guitar Hero III only if you get the $30 album not the $10 one...
how much is the tracks if you just buy them on live? hmm...

A rep from the Promotions department just called me . She informed me that they are not sending out the codes. I asked her why the rep I spoke with 2 days said "You will receive an email with the GH code by Thursday." She said that rep was operating with false information. She apologized for the confusion with the original offer and is now sending me a $10 gift card.

After I receive the gift card, I will be returning the CD because I didn't really want it in the first place, I just wanted the GH tracks.

[quote name='ogbaka']11 tracks for Guitar Hero III only if you get the $30 album not the $10 one...
how much is the tracks if you just buy them on live? hmm...[/QUOTE]

$18, if you paid full retail/no tax for your points.

[quote name='BillyBob29']A rep from the Promotions department just called me . She informed me that they are not sending out the codes. I asked her why the rep I spoke with 2 days said "You will receive an email with the GH code by Thursday." She said that rep was operating with false information. She apologized for the confusion with the original offer and is now sending me a $10 gift card.

After I receive the gift card, I will be returning the CD because I didn't really want it in the first place, I just wanted the GH tracks.[/QUOTE]

This is actually what I'm hoping to get out of this fiasco, although I plan on keeping the CD. Good enough to knock a point card down to half price.

Still waiting to hear back on my email, although I know it has been read.

have not heard anything since saturday. I would rather have the codes myself can not buy card and download for $10 last i was told that they would email me the codes

[quote name='intoxicated662']people, it's already happened and settled. don't like it? don't buy it. simple as that and that's the route I chose. I refuse to spend $30 for a cd and dlc. I'll just buy the dlc content and wait for a price drop on the cd or i'll get the cd elsewhere. it's no biggie. don't let these deals fool you. it's the only way the company could get album sales for metallica. either way, they're making $. all money being made is off dlc for games and ringtones so album sales aren't the peak highlight nowadays.[/QUOTE]

My little brother didn't expect to get ripped off and so he opened his $30 POS Edition and now BB won't take it back. He was under the impression, as was anyone who read the Labor Day Ad page that it had bonus content apart from the DLC.

He ended up paying $2 more (plus tax!) than if he had simply bought them separately.

So, you know what? Suck it Best Buy. I already stopped shopping Circuit City after their crap with Speedy, I can easily stop shopping at BB too.

I still haven't called and probably won't since I didn't order the cd set during 9/1 - I ordered it afterwards after the $30 appeared. Still, the main page's ad is certainly confusing.

[quote name='Callandor']$18, if you paid full retail/no tax for your points.

This is actually what I'm hoping to get out of this fiasco, although I plan on keeping the CD. Good enough to knock a point card down to half price.

Still waiting to hear back on my email, although I know it has been read.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting on a call back. However I have no qualms about returning my disc and buying it elsewhere on principle.

From the best buy email dept:

Unfortunately, the eleven bonus tracks for Guitar Hero III was only offered with the Best Buy Exclusive Special Edition of Death Magnetic. I invite you to view the offer page at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category which explains all the offers associated with these cd's, at the top of this page in yellow it states "Best Buy Exclusive" and then in white reads "Eleven bonus Guitar Hero III tracks". When you scroll to the bottom of the page to choose your cd out of the three available, you must have chosen the cd listed as a "Best Buy Exclusive" to receive the eleven bonus tracks. The download instructions are inside the special edition case.

To receive the eleven bonus tracks you must return the standard edition cd and purchase the special edition cd with the download instructions inside. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com.

After the Disturbed bonus track fiasco and now this Best Buy can shove their bonus tracks and special editions where the sun doesn't shine. Glad I cancelled my preorder and picked my cope of the CD up at Hot Topic for $5.

[quote name='white3er']From the best buy email dept:

Unfortunately, the eleven bonus tracks for Guitar Hero III was only offered with the Best Buy Exclusive Special Edition of Death Magnetic. I invite you to view the offer page at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category which explains all the offers associated with these cd's, at the top of this page in yellow it states "Best Buy Exclusive" and then in white reads "Eleven bonus Guitar Hero III tracks". When you scroll to the bottom of the page to choose your cd out of the three available, you must have chosen the cd listed as a "Best Buy Exclusive" to receive the eleven bonus tracks. The download instructions are inside the special edition case.

To receive the eleven bonus tracks you must return the standard edition cd and purchase the special edition cd with the download instructions inside. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com.[/QUOTE]

It's great to see that all of Best Buy's CSRs are all on the same page now. :lol:

They're asinine. Back when they first made this offer, when you went to look at the SE version, they had NO DETAILS as to what was in it. Most of us thought it had the bonus CD or DVD that came with the coffin set. We surely didn't think it would be something as stupid as the GH hero tracks.

While I think there gets to be a point where it's not worth trying to get more than one should, I condemn Best Buy for not being more open about the fact that the offer was, and continues to be, vague and misleading.

-HM

For kicks I just called the number and spoke with "Curtis" who after a few minutes on hold, came back and told me that the "higher ups" have said that if you didn't order the Metallica Special Edition CD, you don't get the Guitar Hero tracks. I told him that when I preordered there was no mention at all online that the GH3 tracks were only on the special cd, and how was that my fault for ordering the wrong cd. He said he's only following what they higher ups said. I politely told him that BB's customer service is awful and that I will never buy from them again.

[quote name='williams90']I plan to open a complaint with the better business bureau since I'm getting no response from customer service.[/quote]

Save your time. Everyone already knows that BB sucks and the BBB has better things to do than deal with ambiguous complaints over $10.

I have no pity for the people that fell for this. If a deal seems too good to be true it usually isn't true. If you wanted to take the risk you could have easily returned the CD to a BB store and received your money back. Demanding that BB deliver on a deal where they'd obviously be losing money that was ambiguous to begin with is ridiculous.

And complaints about the $30 edition aren't really warranted either. BB was given a $44.99 retail from the manufacturer and put it on sale for $29.99 ($15 off). From their end it looks like a great deal. There are different people running the music and games departments, so it is a little unrealistic to expect that the music people would know the pricing on game DLC. The $9.99 retail on the CD is also sale price, so it is not uncommon to see a lower discount on a bundle than on components. Even at the right retail price the $30 is still a discount.

[quote name='jkanownik']Save your time. Everyone already knows that BB sucks and the BBB has better things to do than deal with ambiguous complaints over $10.

I have no pity for the people that fell for this. If a deal seems too good to be true it usually isn't true. If you wanted to take the risk you could have easily returned the CD to a BB store and received your money back. Demanding that BB deliver on a deal where they'd obviously be losing money that was ambiguous to begin with is ridiculous.

And complaints about the $30 edition aren't really warranted either. BB was given a $44.99 retail from the manufacturer and put it on sale for $29.99 ($15 off). From their end it looks like a great deal. There are different people running the music and games departments, so it is a little unrealistic to expect that the music people would know the pricing on game DLC. The $9.99 retail on the CD is also sale price, so it is not uncommon to see a lower discount on a bundle than on components. Even at the right retail price the $30 is still a discount.[/quote]

Well if I ever get my CD in the mail I will return it

stop whining and return the cd and just purchase the dlc alone with your cc on file or buy ms points. it's already late, bb isn't going to do anything to adjust something as a loss in their favor so that's your best bet.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Bottom line = GH tracks with all versions of the CD and 'bonus songs' (as in actual songs to listen to....not to play on GH) with the $30 special edition.

BustaUppa is right. The confusion is stemming from the terms "bonus tracks".[/QUOTE]

And Best Buy shoots that theory down...it was a little premature to start making declarations.

I return my cd (9.99 one) yesterday at the local Best buy. Not even gonna care anymore for Guitar Hero, to expensive and to many games this holiday.

[quote name='nightmare452']I return my cd (9.99 one) yesterday at the local Best buy. Not even gonna care anymore for Guitar Hero, to expensive and to many games this holiday.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I like the cd and all but really wouldnt care to play them on GH anyways. Not for more then free anyways.

bread's done
Back