Best Buy Gamers Gift Card Problems

Indiana

CAGiversary!
I just came back from my local best buy. I purchased the new Gamer's Gift Card with the $5 coupon on a previous trip. I picked up Beyond Good and Evil for the Xbox and went to the checkout. I pulled out my $5 coupon and it did not scan! The cashier said that since the coupon said Video Game "Software" that the word "Software" implied Personal Computer Software not video games.

I asked for the store manager and got this resolved. My question is has anyone else had this problem?

Oh no no no no, if anything the coupon shouldn't work on PC Software. I had a problem with the coupon scanning as well, for it crashed one of the computers they were using. I'm already thinking the GGC is a chore, but it's worth it. Don't let them try to screw you over. I honestly think Best Buy employees are told to act ignorant on purpose.

[quote name='gugaplex']Never had a problem using it for console stuff. Clueless employees suck.[/quote]

The register would not ring up the coupon. So either the employee did not know how to work the register or Best Buy just changed their policy. I'm not sure which since this is the first time I tried to use a 2004 dated coupon.

[quote name='C_A']Oh no no no no, if anything the coupon shouldn't work on PC Software. I had a problem with the coupon scanning as well, for it crashed one of the computers they were using. I'm already thinking the GGC is a chore, but it's worth it. Don't let them try to screw you over. I honestly think Best Buy employees are told to act ignorant on purpose.[/quote]

I'm starting to think they will try to deny these coupons in order to increase their store profits. When I asked for the store manager the employee changed her tune and type in some code to give me the $5 off. I ended up with one of those strange receipts but I did get the $5 off.

I actually got Betond Good and Evil doing the same deal. they seemed to be ready for the card not too work though, and they just punched it in manually.

ON a side note, I bought a card that expired last year. I returned it and they said, "Oh you must have got it before we took the old ones down" But when I checked out the video game area, there was still plenty of the old ones up.

I have used the new coupons a good 4 or 5 times since New Year's, and not once did it ring up properly. But each time the cashier entered the discount manually.

This has happend to me twice and each time the same little manager comes up and says "This says software which means it works with only PC stuff" and each time I argued with her that I've used the same coupon at other BBs and even that BB and I tried telling showing her a picture of what looked like to be an xbox on the coupon and explain that video games are meant to be games that are meant to be played on a tv/video, but this seemed to just go through one ear and out the other. In other words if I use this GGC at that BB I kind of do a quick scan to make sure I don't see that dumb manager or I get a clerk that has done the coupon with me before.

I have another question regarding Gamer Girft Cards. I picked 5 GGC and went to the register and told the cashier that I would like to buy all 5 for one dollar each. She told me that I had to at least put in 5 dollars for each in order to buy a GGC. I told her that before I would put in a penny and deal would still work. So she called a asst. manager and she basically told me the same thing and it was part of the new store policy. What I wanted to find out was if this was true or where they just being jerks?

I know, the coupons NEVER scan, a BB employee told me this. I also got the discount but ended up getting a funky yellow recibit with my address & name on it. A pain I know, but worth it. Just tell them that you've used the card before and it's never given you problems in the past.

[quote name='C_A']I'm starting to think they do know what they're doing, and that's just sick.[/quote]

You think that's sick, I've got a good one for ya. When I used to work for Best Buy it was back when the PS2 was still pretty rare. I had a friend that worked in the media department (which includes video games). Anyway what they were instructed to do anytime we got a shipment of PS2s in was to keep them in the warehouse until someone asked about it. However, this didn't mean that the customer would get one. First the employee would have to determine that the customer was "worthy". This meant that they had to buy the replacement plan and plenty of accessories (stores don't make hardly any profit on the consoles themselves, only the accessories). Only then would the employee go "check" (even though they'd already know we had them) to see if the console was in and get it for the customer from the warehouse.

lol software is software whether it's for PC or consoles. All games are written in a computer language making them software. Your best buy sucks :D

I think there are problems with that coupon scanning for some reason. It happened to me twice that they had to punch it in manually, and I have only used it twice.

[quote name='nanonano']I have another question regarding Gamer Girft Cards. I picked 5 GGC and went to the register and told the cashier that I would like to buy all 5 for one dollar each. She told me that I had to at least put in 5 dollars for each in order to buy a GGC. I told her that before I would put in a penny and deal would still work. So she called a asst. manager and she basically told me the same thing and it was part of the new store policy. What I wanted to find out was if this was true or where they just being jerks?[/quote]
It doesn't even really matter how much you put into the GGC itself, since it's your money that goes into it and your money that you keep. Just use the cards to pay for the rest of the game you used the GGC coupon with.

i'm pretty sure the game has to be $19.99 or greater for the card to work, and i could have sworn BG&E is $14.99 at BB. that's your problem.

I think you thought it was 14.99 at best buy it has been referred to at that price many times on this site, although it always meant with GGC.

Hey I am a new guy. The BB people are really dumb.
First off I used a coupon last night for Metroid: zero mission.
Now let me tell you my tale of the dumb BB girl.
A few months ago I get Viewtiful Joe. Take it up to the counter ,and
The only clerk is a dumb blonde.I pull out the coupon ,and gift card.
She scans the gift card first ,and then the coupon.She can't make the coupon work. She gets somone else to help.They both did not know what to do.They said the coupon did not work with any other coupons ,or offers.
I got out of there ,and went home with no Joe. I called the
1- 888 number ,and told them about it.The lady on the phone said "gift cards are not coupons ,or offers". she transfered me to the manager. He said come back ,and it should not happen again.Went back ,and bought Joe from the same dumb clerk.Always give them the coupon first ,giftcard second.
If you need help call 1 888 bestbuy

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i'm pretty sure the game has to be $19.99 or greater for the card to work, and i could have sworn BG&E is $14.99 at BB. that's your problem.[/quote]

Beyond Good and Evil is $19.99 at the Best Buy Stores in Indianapolis.

[quote name='nanonano']I have another question regarding Gamer Girft Cards. I picked 5 GGC and went to the register and told the cashier that I would like to buy all 5 for one dollar each. She told me that I had to at least put in 5 dollars for each in order to buy a GGC. I told her that before I would put in a penny and deal would still work. So she called a asst. manager and she basically told me the same thing and it was part of the new store policy. What I wanted to find out was if this was true or where they just being jerks?[/quote]

I've had BB employees tell me they've bought 20 for $.01 each. It's possible, nothing in their software limits the amount. It just depends on the cashier/manager and how much they want to be a-holes. I've been told before that I couldn't buy 5 gift cards with $10 each on them. They're ridiculous. The closest BB to me is the worst one unfortunately.

I've never had a GGC coupon ring up properly either. Although the cashiers I've had all seem to anticipate this and just put in some override and type in $5 off. Never had them refuse to let me use it on console stuff.

I've also been told (I think by two seperate employees) that there is a $5 minimum on the card. But so far I've just bought one GGC per item I'm going to buy right then, so there really isn't much of a problem with putting $5 on the card that I'm going to turn right around and use immediately anyway. I believe that minimum amount is a policy that varies by store and I suspect bradr is correct in that if the employee woulc ignore the policy, the computer would let them put a smaller amount on the card.

I haven't actually used a coupon yet, but might I suggest that 5.00 is a good amount to put on the card? You're going to use the card anyway, and while it might be 'legal' to do it, buying 20 GC's and putting .01 on each one is both annoying [to the clerk and anyone waiting in line, both when you buy them and when you spend them], and a red flag that could cause BB management, either local or national, that something weird is going on. Which of course could lead to the coupon-GGCs getting pulled off the shelves.

I agree with dtcarson. It seems like everyone is so worried about "buying" the gift cards. You have to spend 15$ to use a coupon anyway, so having a bunch of cards for .01 or 5$ shouldnt make a difference.

Well whether it's good amount or not, that depends on the time frame you'll be using it. Don't forget what a gift card is. To Best buy, a gift card is an INTEREST FREE LOAN from all of us. So if you don't plan to use it soon, it's better to put it in the bank, unless Best Buy give you some interest.

Wow, divine_comedy you really are a cheapass....you might make an eight of a penny with that extra 4.99$ you put in the bank for a few months.

I always put at least $10 on it, as I'm going to use it. The one thing that perplexes me is the fact that it doesn't take a genius to think of buying 50 gcs for $.01 so BB must have also thought of that before they released the coupons?

I know. best buy is starting to make me not want to shop there and boycott them. They dont care about customers one little bit, its always the bottom dollar. You would think if they offer the GGC with a coupon, and people like us go in and use them, they would be extremely happy, and we would be happy, as we have a way of making our own discount, so to speak.
My little story has good ending but could have turned ugly. I went in to buy dynasty warrior3 recently dropped to 19.99 and went up front bought a gift card, put 2 dollars on it, then proceeded to purchase DW3, he rings it up, I hand him the coupon (first natch') then the gift card with 2 bucks, then cash for the dif.......after he rings the coupon in, he says "oh, i see what you are doing, now I get it", looks around a little shifty, and says to me sort of under his breath, "I heard the managers are trying to find a way to make it so people cant do that, that they want people to not be able to use them the same day, you would have to come back tommorrow". He was "nice" enough to do it for me, and says he has seen a couple other people do it, and as long as the computer lets him do it, its fine with him. Pretty cool attitude (for a best buy employee), so I got my game.
On a previous instance I was told you had to put at least 5$ on it for it to work, this is bull and we know it. They make up there own rules out of spite or ignorance. Luckily I have three BB in my area so if one strikes out and gets stupid, I dont care, "NEXT".
I always look around this store I go to close to my home in shady grove maryland, before the others, there is an assistant manager there named missy, that I had a run in about their package pricing/return policy, (in which they tried to screw me, so I went to a different store and returned one item of three no prob), and she was the the most unprofessional dumpy little git, that thinks she has it made "making decisions from "on high" at best buy".......If I see her, I dont try anything, like a GGC thing, because if its got to go to manager level (like all things at best buy do), I will be stuck with her, and she knows me on site. And yes, she was there skulking around the front the day I bought my dynasty warrior3.........got lucky I guess, never again.
When we buy stuff from them in a manner that is completely legal, they should say thank you, not "can I check your receipt?". They treat it like a scam, and it is their own damn promotion. BEST BUY SUX!!!
Steps off soap box slowly......end of rant.

Ive use mine with almost no problem. The on time there was even a slight hitch was buying super mario bros. 3 for gba and used some Best Buy bucks from mc donalds and also with a gift card. she took the gift cards and BB bucks off(making it 7.99), and THEN read the coupon and was trying to tell me it neded to be over 19.99 to use....

i nicely told her that it was probably for the price it rings up, not the price after GC...and she figured it out and everyone was happy.

Also, ive worked in retail enough where if anyone gives me crap, thier not going to get away with it. I did my 2 years of service at K-mart, and i know whats supposed to go on :)

[quote name='ksuwild25']This has happend to me twice and each time the same little manager comes up and says "This says software which means it works with only PC stuff" and each time I argued with her that I've used the same coupon at other BBs and even that BB and I tried telling showing her a picture of what looked like to be an xbox on the coupon and explain that video games are meant to be games that are meant to be played on a tv/video, but this seemed to just go through one ear and out the other. In other words if I use this GGC at that BB I kind of do a quick scan to make sure I don't see that dumb manager or I get a clerk that has done the coupon with me before.[/quote]

You should consider yourself lucky. If you are buying videogames, pick a different clerk, if you are buying computer games, pick that clerk. Best of both worlds. Most of us don't have a clerk who will let us use the coupon for computer games.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='ksuwild25']This has happend to me twice and each time the same little manager comes up and says "This says software which means it works with only PC stuff" and each time I argued with her that I've used the same coupon at other BBs and even that BB and I tried telling showing her a picture of what looked like to be an xbox on the coupon and explain that video games are meant to be games that are meant to be played on a tv/video, but this seemed to just go through one ear and out the other. In other words if I use this GGC at that BB I kind of do a quick scan to make sure I don't see that dumb manager or I get a clerk that has done the coupon with me before.[/quote]

You should consider yourself lucky. If you are buying videogames, pick a different clerk, if you are buying computer games, pick that clerk. Best of both worlds. Most of us don't have a clerk who will let us use the coupon for computer games.[/quote]

I'm convinced that it is a Best Buy scam to try and deny the cards all together. I'm sure if I went back with a PC game she would tell me that it is only good on Console games. I believe that if you bought more than one item you would probably not be hassled but I think they have a new policy to hassle anyone trying to find a good deal by purchasing one item with a coupon.

I'm convinced that it is a Best Buy scam to try and deny the cards all together. I'm sure if I went back with a PC game she would tell me that it is only good on Console games. I believe that if you bought more than one item you would probably not be hassled but I think they have a new policy to hassle anyone trying to find a good deal by purchasing one item with a coupon

I completely agree, you would think a store that gets people to come in because of an offer/deal they should honor it above board. Not try to bait/switch change the terms on the fly, etc.
not to go all best buyragelike......but my other problem was that I bought a two for 20 deal on dvds, one for me (I needed) and the other for a friend (yes people do actually pick things up for friends), (disc I already had), turns out he bought two for 20 himself and already got it.
So I went back to return one of the two (I dont make a habit of frequenting the best buy return line - that is another whole level of hell on earth) and was told that they can refund me the 10, but it breaks up the package price and will have to then recharge me the difference for the disc I was keeping. Like I cant do math, they think they are slick.......I would only get 5$ back. No deal, aint happening. The receipt states 10$ for each regardless, it didnt say 15 and 15 with a ten coupon. It actually changed the prices to 10$each. They shouldnt be allowed to change the price after it is sold.......thats unethical. (best buy motto), as long as you arent in there every week doing it, it shouldnt be a prob but to them it is.
At target when they do a two for 20 deal, they say it in the ad, but I guarantee if you go the store they will be listed with individual prices.

(I have even priced match targets ad at circuit city, to get one of a 2 deal, without a problem.) target was out.......
best buy really does feel like an evil empire.
its the feeling you get when you walk in, "how can this sale go wrong?"

I went in the BB here last night to get Metroid Zero Misson with the GGC and the cashier had problems with it ringing up as well and had to have a manager do it. They were nice about it and all, but I didn't just buy the card right then and use it in front of them. I had bought it about 7 hours earlier. I used to work in retail as well, and even though it is BBs stupid promo and it should be "on the up and up" to just go buy a card and use it right then, in a way I understand why they get like they do sometimes. IMO if you go in there trying to put a penny on a card or act smugly buying a card and then use it right then on the same cashier at that time, you are just tempting them. Though I don't agree with cashier's attitudes a lot of times, they are people too. If you blatantly act as though you are trying to "exploit" something like the coupon in the GGC, they sometimes DO get defensive. Some of them take it personal as if you are trying to "outsmart" them. They don't want to feel like they are trying to be "duped". fitzcain
said s/he went in and put $2 on a gift card then got the game, used the coupon, used the GC and then paid for the rest in cash...why not just put 5, 10, or 15 dollars on it? Maybe even go to a different cashier? I know its BBs stupid fault that people are using this system to get the coupons and the savings...and I don't blame customers for doing it either (I do), but I think the savings is worth not tempting problems with things like putting a penny on a card or buying it right in front of them and trying to use it...pick up a $5 card when you are in there to use on the next visit...then with that purchase, pick up another one! My rant is over...just my opinion here, but I never have the "attitude" problems in there.

I have used the GGC quite often, but it never scans in. They just groan, laugh and type in the over ride. I also use my rewards zone card so I get points for it. I have never had anyone give me a problem over it.

Take Care,
Matthew

wow...I thought I was the only one this happened to recently

When I bought Zero Mission yesterday ussing GGC, the cashier told me that it was intended for computer software, but after I said I'd used these cards before, she gave me the discount.

I'm beginning to think that the cashiers ARE being instructed to initially try and stop the customer from using the card, but if given resistence they are to ring it through normally.

It's too coincidental that other BB customers are experiencing this so frequently around the country.

My store was in Michigan.

Every time I have used GGC I bought the card and the game at the same time. I just have them ring up the GGC then the game and they never gave me any crap about it. I have done this 4 or 5 times.

Unless someone can verify this, I will assume:

The new gamer gift cards at Best Buy (exp. 12/04) DO NOT scan automatically. The cashier has to manually change the price of the game by -$5.

My question is this: How come the old ones (that expired 12/03) scanned fine and the computer would do it's magic automatically without the cashier having to do anything special but these new ones need a manual change? When I first used the new cards that expire 12/04 (in 2003), I just thought that they weren't programmed into the system yet and wouldn't be until Jan 1, 2004. Now it's the middle of Feb and they still don't scan. I would have thought this was plenty of time for the crack BB IT team to have fixed this.

A gift card is 'interest free loan', kind of. The good news is that the BB gc's, unlike some other vendors, don't expire and don't charge a 'maintenance fee' [read the fine print on any of your other gc's.]
So cashiers are telling people the coupon can't be used on console games, just PC games? Or are they saying you can't turn around and use the GC you just bought? Or that the GC is limited as to what it could buy? The card itself, at least the ones I have, have a picture of a PS2 Dual Shock controller on it, and on the back say 'good for merchandise or services,' so if they're trying to limit what it can be used on, that's just wrong. Or I could be misunderstanding what's going on.

Regarding value-of-deals-when-returning; I had something similar happen at OfficeMax. Bought two items, totalling about 125 bucks. Had a coupon for 20 off 75. One item I had to return--it actually was not as represented on the box [dimensions were wrong, and it was unusable for me.] It was 80, the other was 55. They wanted to give me only 60 bucks back for the first one, because they can't return coupons or something, and I kinda stared at them in shock. Eventually she said, Well, I'll do it this time, so I got the full value of that item back on a gift card [which I would have to spend at that store anyway, so I still got 20 off 75 in the long run], but it was like they were doing me a favor. I went back, used that GC, and never been back since. And again, it's not that I was just returning the product, it was misrepresented, so I could have been a jerk and threatened to call the BBB on them for selling fraudulently advertised products or whatever, but i got my money back and didn't lose any.
So it's not just Best Buy who has these wacky policies.

Its mainly people complaining about the coupon that comes with it. Thats one of things that should work one way or the other, but not everyone is educated on how they work.

As for complaints on the Gift Card itself, some people try and put $.01 on it and wonder why they cant get away with it or why people look at them weird. Getting one with .01 on it as a gag...they could go along with that. Getting 10 .01 cards...no, thats being a dumb bastard. Put 5 on it, and then use that 5 when you come back to get the game.

Also, that whole "you have to put at least $5 on it" thing, if you hear that from a Manager, it is law. if you hear that from a cashier, thats when you should question it. The managers have a right to make certain restrictions. Now, im not saying when they foolishly say that it cant be used on VG software or if they say no to using it on a controller, thats just not knowing how it works.

I have no love for best buy, but I do appreciate the $5 coupon offered with the gift card. Keep abusing it and they might not offer it next year. Then you will have something new to bitch about instead of not being allowed to put one cent on twenty gift cards. Thanks in advance for ruining it for the rest of us! :)

I agree that buying a stack of cards could be a problem. I also agree that not puting at least $5 or even $10 on a card could be a problem. But when I go to the store buy a card for $20. Come back several days later and try to use the coupon and they tell me I cannot use it on an Xbox game because it has the word "Software". Now there is a problem! I do believe that the purchasing of cards for .01 will probably make them end the cards if it becomes very wide spread.

[quote name='"Indiana"']But when I go to the store buy a card for $20. Come back several days later and try to use the coupon and they tell me I cannot use it on an Xbox game because it has the word "Software". Now there is a problem! quote]

This I agree with 100%.
* the coupon is packaged with the GGC that has a console controller on it.
* the GGC is generally sold IN THE SAME RACKS as the console games [at least at my BB
* what's a video game console called? hardware. what's the stuff they play? software.

However, one of the side disadvantages to these cheap prices and big selection, even apart from coupons, is BB [and other stores] have less money, in general to spend on wages. What's the average salary of a BB cashier? Not a whole lot, I'd bet. This could simply be a case of the cashier misunderstanding/misinterpreting the card, or not being trained enough on these little details [I'm involved with training in my job, and we can really only train up to 50% of the job, if we're lucky, the rest is OJT/learn as you go.] Now, if the manager argued it, I'd have a problem with that, because that's not [PC software] how I interpret the coupon at all.

Just another reason that I give all of my buisness to Circuit City. They will accept the GGC (YYMV), and their customer service is great. If I can get it at CC, I say screw Best Buy.

Also, that whole "you have to put at least $5 on it" thing, if you hear that from a Manager, it is law. if you hear that from a cashier, thats when you should question it. The managers have a right to make certain restrictions.~~~~Wshakspear~~

I really dont see it as "law" from whomever I heard it, cashier or manager (it was the cashier, actually)(although I dont really care about the amount, I just did 2$ because the last time I did 5, the cashier got confused "okay, so you got 5 on the card and a 5$ coupon? scratches head.(you really had to be there, it was really one of those moments......damn good thing I didnt have a rewards certificate for 5$ on top of that, he would have probably had a coronary)).

Law would be a hard lined policy that doesnt change from store to store. Like expiration of returning merchandise 14 days or 30 days, whatever. I respect what the manager comes up with, just dont have to participate if I dont like it, I just dont like the arbitrary rule making they do, that just doesnt make any damn sense (I would love to have someone tell me I couldnt use it for ps2 stuff, when there is a controller on the back)

I have two more-or- less decent best buys in my area, and one $#i& hole, where they all have attitudes......

I agree on the .01 gift cards, that IS asking for it, they will think you are just messing with them. And I dont buy them in bulk, I use them when I want a 19.99 game, greatest hits or whatever.
Although, I agree with the "exploiting" feel that might come across, doing the gift card, then the sale right afterwards. Very good sense to buy the gift card, maybe when you just walk in (or earlier if you know you are going, whatever), do your shopping then use it in different line. It sidesteps the weird glances............next time I will put 15.99 on the card, and just be done with it.........20.99 - 5.00 coupon = 15.99, hand coupon to cashier, and "wow, sir, you had just enough........care to buy a extended warranty for that?" hmmmmmmmmm "NO."
they are a good deal, if you know how to use them.....
BTW -- the name of fitzcain is the name (mispelled actually) of duncan mclouds friend (played by roger daltry) from highlander, he was a guy as am I, just liked the name..............

I went to Best Buy today to pick up Mario Kart DD so I could take advantage of the $10 gift certificate. I went to the register and gave her the girft card and then asked her for my gift certicate. She said that they will only allow one, the girft card or use the coupon. I decided not to buy the game and Im really beginning to hate Best Buy. Is this really store policy or are they just once again giving me a hard time?

I went to Best Buy today to pick up Mario Kart DD so I could take advantage of the $10 gift certificate. I went to the register and gave her the girft card and then asked her for my gift certicate. She said that they will only allow one, the girft card or use the coupon. I decided not to buy the game and Im really beginning to hate Best Buy. Is this really store policy or are they just once again giving me a hard time?

bread's done
Back