Best Buy Huge Studio Ghibli Blu-Ray/DVD Combo + DVD Sale!

thelaughingmann

CAGiversary!
Peeked at the ad this morning, here's the lot:

$20 Blu/DVD Combos:

Porco Russo

Pom Poko

Tales from Earthsea

Whisper of the Heart

The Wind Rises

Princess Mononoke

Kiki's Delivery Service

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Not Advertised; Found via Blu-Ray.com)

Arrietty (Same)

Ponyo (Same)

My Neighbor Totoro (Found via Bestbuy.com search)

Howl's Moving Castle (Same)

**Castle in the Sky is available on Blu/DVD, but is still priced at $27.99**

**Spirited Away isn't available on Blu/DVD here yet? Really, Disney?**

$17 DVDs:

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

**VARIOUS OTHERS ARE RANGING FROM $15-18 BUT NOT LISTING CAUSE SEARCH WOULD TAKE TOO LONG**

Consider that these are being handled by Disney for localization here. And to see the Blu/DVD combos for these classic flicks hit $20 or less hasn't happened a whole lot as of yet.

My recommendations: Nausicaa, Mononoke, and Totoro. Howl's is a personal favorite, but the three I list are the true gems of the sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they did a wider change of prices that they were supposed to from the ad and someone caught it then corrected it. Since Amazon is watching BB, once the prices went back up on BB, their prices went back up.

What I don't get is that Porco Rosso, Pom Poko and Tales From Earthsea were released last week. Why not just release them at $20 and generate higher release week numbers than this foolishness about $5 cheaper less than a week after release?
I guess they wanted to try to move some old inventory and mix it with the new all at once.

Just to update my slipcover list:

From BB.com:
Earthsea: Yes

Pom Poko: Yes

Wind Rises: Yes

Mononoke: No

I'm still waiting for my Kiki's to arrive from BB.com.

I know Disney movie club was brought up already but they just recently added 3 more Ghibli titles as eligible signup titles:

Princess Mononoke
Kikis Delivery Service
Wind Rises

Others on the list;

Secret World of Arrietty
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa
Howls Moving Castle

And I think there are a couple others.

You could essentially get 6 Ghobli movies for $13 then just but two more titles for $29.99 within the next two years.

Just wanted to update on the ghibli movies I received thus far and if they had a slip cover

From Best Buy In store

Pompoko - Yes

Porco Roso - Yes

Whisper of the heart - Yes

From Amazon

Castle In the Sky - Yes

Grave of the fireflies (Sentai) -No, never had one.

From Bestbuy.com (Has not arrived)

Earthsea -

Kikis Deliver Service -

The Wind Rises -

My Neighbor Totoro -

Princess Mononoke -

Howl's Moving Castle -

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind -

The Secret World of Arrietty -

Ponyo -

I will update when I receive me shipment from bestbuy.com
I didn't purchase the following but noticed in my local store the following

Kikis delivery service - Yes

The Wind Rises - No

Princess Mononoke - No

Earthsea - Yes

I sure hope that the wind rises and Princess mononoke from bb.com will end up coming with slips, if anyone has slips for any of these movies I would love to negotiate a trade of some sort once I find out what ones don't have a slip just pm me if you are interested.

Thanks for the thread by the way. Spent 120 bucks but now my girlfriend will have all the SG blu rays. Ill save 3 for her birthday and other 3 for christmas.

Just an update to my own list on slipcovers, I saw that in-store, Mononoke had a slip but Kiki didn't.  I'm not sure how it varies so much from store to store to website.  I plan on exchanging my Mononoke with one with a slip but the store I went to had only 2 copies and the slips were mangled on both.  I'm probably going to swing by more BBs on my travels this weekend so hopefully I can find one with a decent slip.  It's too bad my Kiki isn't scheduled to be delivered until next Tuesday so I won't know how that one will fare.

That's what I was pointing at. This ad right here, the one you have, lists the following titles in it for the sale price. So even if the site's not showing said prices anymore, you can still use this image in the site's ad to get the said items for said prices; anything that is NOT advertised for the proper format will surely not count (YMMV, as the person above pointed out).

What my friend did was he lucked out in getting the titles he did want in the ad above for the listed prices. I never said he got other titles for the same price; only the ones pictured above.
The conversation you were cutting in to were about the ones that were not listed in the ad, so I was merely clarifying that when you told them to bring the ad into the store that it wouldn't do them any good anyways since they were never in the ad to begin with.

None of the ones listed in the ad have gone up in price, and only the ones that were not listed have, but were for $20 for awhile on BB.com, and those were the ones that the conversation you came into was referring to, hence the don't bother bringing in the ad comment to save them a trip if they were interested in getting those specific titles not in the ad.

Uh, not in the ad I'm looking at:

xfidbrx.png

Edit: NVM, thought you guys were talking about all of them going up, not just Totoro/Howl's.
Glad you went back and read through the posts to see where we were at. ;D

I might have a spare one of those for Whisper Of The Heart, as I think I ordered four slipcovers from BVHE when I thought a number of Ghibli items I ordered came without them. Let me go check my copy of WOTH at home and see if I do have a spare one.
Do you know if they sell the slipcovers directly? Where exactly did you order them from? I'm looking for a slip for Kiki's Delivery Service.

Didn't realize that the 3 newest releases were hit and miss when it came to slips. My local Best Buy had slips for all three. I'll make sure to not buy the next wave of Ghiblis from Best Buy's website. 

Do you know if they sell the slipcovers directly? Where exactly did you order them from? I'm looking for a slip for Kiki's Delivery Service.
I had bought them directly from Buena Visa Home Entertainment, which is Disney's arm for movie distribution. I think their phone # is 800 477-2811 and when I asked them for my missing slip covers, they said they would send them out for free, though with a $6 shipping charge.

It may have changed since then, though that phone number is what I have in my records for BVHE.

I had bought them directly from Buena Visa Home Entertainment, which is Disney's arm for movie distribution. I think their phone # is 800 477-2811 and when I asked them for my missing slip covers, they said they would send them out for free, though with a $6 shipping charge.

It may have changed since then, though that phone number is what I have in my records for BVHE.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll contact them and see if they are available. Since Kiki's is older, they might not have them any more.

I lost all self control on this and ended up buying the 9 blu-rays I was missing. I also didn't get slip covers on a few of the older ones. I might try that number and see if any can be shipped.

How are the first three movies listed in the OP? Those are the most recent ones, right? I have all the others but don't know anything about those.
Porco Russo is fantastic.

Pom Poko is extremely boring and I kept wondering when it was gonna end. It's really long.

Tales from Earthsea is the worst film in Ghibli history.

I'm a huge Ghibli fan and I was ecstatic when Porco Rosso got announced... but the other two films that came out with it really almost discouraged me from buying, but I had to as I have all the bluebox re-releases.

Nooooooo!!! My Nausicca order from Amazon didn't come with a slip. This is what I get for buying it last. (already own it on dvd so waited to upgrade)  :wall:

Wow, I haven't checked the movie deal forum in a while and am kicking myself a bit-- then I realized the sale is still on and ordered the 6 movies I didn't pick up before (Mononoke and Kiki being backordered). Not thrilled about the slipcover issues, though-- has anyone had any luck ordering them during this sale from the number posted before?

Just wanted to update on the ghibli movies I received thus far and if they had a slip cover

From Best Buy In store

Pompoko - Yes

Porco Roso - Yes

Whisper of the heart - Yes

From Amazon

Castle In the Sky - Yes

Grave of the fireflies (Sentai) -No, never had one.

From Bestbuy.com (Has not arrived)

Earthsea - Yes

Kikis Deliver Service - Yes

The Wind Rises - No

My Neighbor Totoro - No

Princess Mononoke - Yes

Howl's Moving Castle - No

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - No

The Secret World of Arrietty - Yes

Ponyo - No

I will update when I receive me shipment from bestbuy.com
Updated sad with how many didn't have slip covers now to figure out how to get the remaining slips

Updated sad with how many didn't have slip covers now to figure out how to get the remaining slips
Try this:

I had luck with it back in the day when I thought I needed slips, though see if BVHE can help you with that.

Try this:

I had luck with it back in the day when I thought I needed slips, though see if BVHE can help you with that.
I might try that for Mononoke since I couldn't find it in-store with a slip and the store I went to that had mangled slips were sold out when I went to check again. That $6 shipping is steep, though...

I might try that for Mononoke since I couldn't find it in-store with a slip and the store I went to that had mangled slips were sold out when I went to check again. That $6 shipping is steep, though...
The ones I have (which I need to go back and check on, in case other CAGs might want them) were shipped out in a mailer first class postage, so I'm sure they looked at the cost as S&H rather than just shipping.

The slips themselves were free, as there was an invoice in there for the slips at $0.00 and the shipping cost of $6.

They may not offer that anymore, though it's the best I can offer.

Other options might be the forums on Blu-Ray.com, AVSForums.com and on eBay.

The ones I have (which I need to go back and check on, in case other CAGs might want them) were shipped out in a mailer first class postage, so I'm sure they looked at the cost as S&H rather than just shipping.

The slips themselves were free, as there was an invoice in there for the slips at $0.00 and the shipping cost of $6.

They may not offer that anymore, though it's the best I can offer.

Other options might be the forums on Blu-Ray.com, AVSForums.com and on eBay.
No, I understand, it's just that $6 on top of the $20 sale price makes it close to normal price. I might just check my BB again to see if they restock, hopefully with slipcovers.

I might try that number but I will first try the other local store I managed to find howls moving castle with slip at target now to just return it tommorow

Might want to also try Target. I saw a number of these titles there with slip covers.

My Best Buy had Kiki's Delivery Service, but none with slips. I price matched at Target to get one with a slip cover.

Decided to pick up totoro, the wind rises and Nausicaa on ebay new with slip for a couple $ more so I don't have to deal with not having them and it will end up costing me no more then calling the number,

Also now I have to return 

My Neighbor Totoro and Nausicaa to best buy 

The Castle in the sky to Target 

When you call that number, be ready to talk to a SUPER-perky person, who has to refer to their supervisor as their fairy godmother.

These will be on sale at Costco starting 3/5 for price of 17.99 

Time to use my new found elite status, and BB post price match this ish for me.

For those buying Kiki's Delivery Service, note that Disney changed the audio and music in that film when they rereleased it.  This is why I actually went on eBay at the time and bought the DVD of the older release. 

For allegedly some "purist" reason, Disney changed the audio, actually cutting lines recorded by Phil and editing out the music.  I'd be fine with it if they left in the audio track, but instead Disney removed it completely.  Some of the changes dramatically alter the feel of the movie (IMHO) and not necessarily for the better.  It also felt like a terrible thing to do because Disney did it right around the time Hartmann was murdered.  I mean, really?  Let's honor the guy by deleting his lines?

Anyways, it's why I'm content to leave that blu off my list.  I have most of the ones I want on DVD, and that's fine.  Frankly, the blu upgrade on hand-animated films is a tougher pill to swallow. 

Still a great movie and you should get it; for those who saw it growing up, though, you may want to try and find the DVD original release or you may be saddened to see the rerelease isn't exactly the same movie you saw when you were littler.

For those buying Kiki's Delivery Service, note that Disney changed the audio and music in that film when they rereleased it. This is why I actually went on eBay at the time and bought the DVD of the older release.

For allegedly some "purist" reason, Disney changed the audio, actually cutting lines recorded by Phil and editing out the music. I'd be fine with it if they left in the audio track, but instead Disney removed it completely. Some of the changes dramatically alter the feel of the movie (IMHO) and not necessarily for the better. It also felt like a terrible thing to do because Disney did it right around the time Hartmann was murdered. I mean, really? Let's honor the guy by deleting his lines?

Anyways, it's why I'm content to leave that blu off my list. I have most of the ones I want on DVD, and that's fine. Frankly, the blu upgrade on hand-animated films is a tougher pill to swallow.

Still a great movie and you should get it; for those who saw it growing up, though, you may want to try and find the DVD original release or you may be saddened to see the rerelease isn't exactly the same movie you saw when you were littler.
Is the blu-ray release that much of change PQ wise?

I might have to buy both the DVD and Blu.

Which movies have dubtitles? I have been debating picking up some of the blu-ray movies but I am on the fence after reading all the posts about people saying to pass on the movies that were incomplete due to Disney not putting the real subtitles on the dics.

Mark 8:26, revised: For what shall it profit, a man, if he should gain superior subtitles, but lose his own wallet

With the current exchange rate, Kiki's Delivery Service bluray imported from Amazon.co.jp is $52.86 shipped. That's not too bad really.

I went back through the slipcovers I ordered from BVHE and forgot that I did need three out of the four that I had purchased. :dunce:   Those ones were for movies I bought from BN and they came without slips.

So, it looks like I just have a spare slip for Whisper Of The Heart, not all four of the ones I thought I had spares for.

I went back through the slipcovers I ordered from BVHE and forgot that I did need three out of the four that I had purchased. :dunce: Those ones were for movies I bought from BN and they came without slips.

So, it looks like I just have a spare slip for Whisper Of The Heart, not all four of the ones I thought I had spares for.
Are you still allowed to order slipcovers from them and if so how?

Are you still allowed to order slipcovers from them and if so how?
See above for what I told another CAG about when I had ordered my slips from BVHE.

The ones I ordered were:

Whisper Of The Heart

Howl's Moving Castle

My Neighbor Totoro

Castle In The Sky

Called to ask even though I never order or have a studio Ghibli film yet and it's $3.95 for the first one and the $1 for any other ones. Using the phone number above calls BV so it's accurate.

See above for what I told another CAG about when I had ordered my slips from BVHE.

The ones I ordered were:

Whisper Of The Heart

Howl's Moving Castle

My Neighbor Totoro

Castle In The Sky
Ok cool, mind if I ask how they ship them out and how long ago you ordered these ones?

Called to ask even though I never order or have a studio Ghibli film yet and it's $3.95 for the first one and the $1 for any other ones. Using the phone number above calls BV so it's accurate.
Cool, thanks for confirming

Well. I went to Costco today, and the had a lot of Studio Ghibli titles. The $5 off coupon is applied automatically. I only saw one title with slip covers and it was My Neighbor Totoro.

I have this weird urge to collect all of the Studio Ghibli slipcovers now. So I'm going to buy the movies through DMC since it seems the cheapest option atm. And try to call BV for the addition slipcovers. I hope they have all of them but I don't think they have Ponyo based on looking around online. I also need to find the cover numbers.

bread's done
Back