Best Buy making online PM policy permanent starting Mar. 3rd

does this mean we get RZ points deposited faster? IT BETTER.

I hope those a huge backlash against BB for this.

at least they still got sales. better than just outright not getting a sale in store

Had no trouble price-matching Amazon on a 360 Wireless Controller this morning. Checkout woman just asked someone next to her if they were pricematching Amazon now, and then it worked just like any other pricematch. Kildeer, IL, store.

Even though the loss of post purchase PM to competitors is a huge blow, I'm still going to spend my money at Best Buy when possible. I'd rather give Best Buy my money because of two reasons:

1. Loyalty. They've offered a ton of deals in the past couple of years. Amazon is lazy and just PM's retailers. Best Buy has at least been trying to be creative in incentivizing deals. My local store is VERY good to me. For the last year now, they have been price matching all of my requests without even checking my sources. They know me and trust me enough which is so cool of them that I've never once even bothered to PM a phony deal when I know I easily can. They've set aside preorder swag just for me ahead of time so long as I come in anytime on Day 1. The amount of goodwill they've built up deserves my dollar.

2. Competition. My dollar won't save Best Buy in the end but I can still vote with my wallet and I'd rather see Best Buy around down the road. If Best Buy goes under, then all of the Amazon nuthuggers can kiss the Amazon deals goodbye too. Hell, half of their sales have seemed to just be matching Best Buy anyways. Next thing you know, after BB goes down they're just going to match Gamestop instead. Oh wait.

The return period being cut down I think is mostly fair. If I need more than 2 weeks to decide whether I want to keep an item, then I probably shouldn't buy it in the first place. Don't get it twisted, it's not all of the gaming PM's that forced this change. It was all of the renters. My local store tells me how most of the abuse comes from people borrowing crap from their store for family events only to return them. They don't get a lot of PM requests in a day. They get a ton of returns. This change in policy is a response to the renters so us deal hawking gaming folks have to suffer for it.

This new PM policy "chupa las tuercas del mono"

This is not just about games. Last year I picked up a new Washer/Dryer Set and some pricey prepaid phones at BBY which I later PM'd to their own price. I am not sure if it was under 30 days or under 60 days in each case (as I am Premier Silver) but I know it was more than 15 days after purchase.

If I only have 15 days after purchase to match to their own sales and 0 days to match a competitor (even as a Silver member) I am going to seriously rethink how much shopping I do at BBY.

Another arrogant SOB who doesn't think the posting rules apply to him. Plenty of appropriate and better places for this including the BB weekly sale thread.

[quote name='gantt']Another arrogant SOB who doesn't think the posting rules apply to him. Plenty of appropriate and better places for this including the BB weekly sale thread.[/QUOTE]

news has been around for weeks in the rewards and weekly threads and yet there are still so many people who aren't up to date so might as well

dont be such a gargus :roll:

[quote name='Layd Dly']I would still rather give my money to Amazon.

I hate that BestBuy scans your ID every time you return or price-adjust anything. Which then gets stored by BB and the 3rd Party Database who partners with other stores which flags people who return too much regardless of of why or what store you shop at. It is only a matter of time before your data is compromised, No thanks.[/QUOTE]
This is strange, I've never had my ID scanned to return or price adjust. Is this an actual policy? I've returned and price matched at multiple Best Buys within California and Nevada and not once was I asked for my ID.

[quote name='Mugatu']That is true - but this change in BB policy is understandable - look just how volatile prices have become in the last year or so.

I think some publishers, Microsoft being the most prominent IMO, have figured out that rather than fight the used market with stupid crap like online passes it's better to use pricing. A month after release, new MS (and not EA games) are getting MSRP effectively lowered by 30%.

Price matching after 60 days was just an idiotic policy to begin with - be happy it lasted this long.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but Best Buy is maybe the largest one behind that.

They're going out of business, they're a terminal cancer patient, it's not a question of "if" it's a question of "when" trying to get some last gasps to find a miracle. They keep on having fire sales on games trying to lure people in to get more stuff but it doesn't work.

This move isn't fixing the problem, it's just creating a more complicated one.

The new policy for regular members should be 30 days return/15 days PM. A 15 day return policy puts Best Buy in a league of their own for worst return policy for an electronics store, no? This is going to cause riots unless they explicitly start announcing this to everyone at point of sale until the end of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kitoro']The new policy for regular members should be 30 days return/15 days PM. A 15 return policy puts Best Buy in a league if their own for worst return policy for an electronics store, no? This is going to cause riots unless they explicitly start announcing this to everyone at point of sale until the end of time.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with you here.

The average joe that walks in will probably have no idea regarding this new policy unless it is an explicitly stated memo on each employees' forehead. And even then it is a stretch because you assume that the average joe also has some sort of reading comprehension.

Good luck BB. I loved the times we shared, but this will definitely affect my purchasing decisions. But don't fret because you will still offer some good deals that I will not be able to pass on.

Thanks for posting this OP! I had not heard...

SO, BBY's return policy for reg. ol' customers is 15 days !?!?! I remember the last "electronics" store that did that.... CompUsa (which, ironically, went out of business due to BBY)

/Death knell rings for Best Buy/

[quote name='Layd Dly']I would still rather give my money to Amazon.

I hate that BestBuy scans your ID every time you return or price-adjust anything. Which then gets stored by BB and the 3rd Party Database who partners with other stores which flags people who return too much regardless of of why or what store you shop at. It is only a matter of time before your data is compromised, No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Amazon likely has as much or more info on you than is available from that ID, and they have it in their database every time you return something also.

[quote name='Namurashi']This is strange, I've never had my ID scanned to return or price adjust. Is this an actual policy? I've returned and price matched at multiple Best Buys within California and Nevada and not once was I asked for my ID.[/QUOTE]

Yes, its even listed in their return policy. But what they don't specify is that it is shared/passed off to a third party which I do not agree with.

I am not saying that people do not abuse the return policies and for high dollar items (i.e TV's for Super Bowl) I can certainly understand it. But If I am returning a New & Sealed Video Game or Blu-Ray I was clearly not fucking renting it. And i do not want to be Denied a return some other place because i returned 5 Blu-Rays in one day at Best Buy.

I will also clarify that I was/am a BB Credit Card Holder and RWZ Silver member so they already track every purchase, promo, and interaction I already have with the store which I agree to in order to get savings/coupons/promos so I find the ID for return to be very invasive.

[quote name='gotdott']news has been around for weeks in the rewards and weekly threads and yet there are still so many people who aren't up to date so might as well

dont be such a gargus :roll:[/QUOTE]

ewwwwww gargus smh. but yea this price matching/20$ rz coupon combo is gone sadly. but still they are a bussiness and i have to accept that. they are still going to have great deals in the end. now if only the rz points can be received faster ........

For Best Buy to truly end Showrooming, this isn't enough. They need to match Amazon's pricing on their own stickers. Most people will go into Best Buy, see something they want, check Amazon on their phones, and order it from there on the spot rather than bring it up to a Best Buy employee to price match.

This new system will not work to their favor on its own.

[quote name='Donut2922']
The return period being cut down I think is mostly fair. If I need more than 2 weeks to decide whether I want to keep an item, then I probably shouldn't buy it in the first place. Don't get it twisted, it's not all of the gaming PM's that forced this change. It was all of the renters. My local store tells me how most of the abuse comes from people borrowing crap from their store for family events only to return them. They don't get a lot of PM requests in a day. They get a ton of returns. This change in policy is a response to the renters so us deal hawking gaming folks have to suffer for it.[/QUOTE]

I've pointed this out before but this isn't really the crowd for it... but a 15 day return window basically guarantees I won't be doing any gift shopping at Best Buy unless, maybe, it is last minute. I tend to get my Christmas shopping done as early as possible and tend to buy ahead of times for birthdays and such (there are only a few people I tend to buy stuff for) and I simply don't want to give out a present that can't be returned because I bought it less than a month ago but more than two weeks ago. This is where I think their new policy is really going to have issues.

Personally, I don't think the show-room thing has been having the effect that they think it has. I mean really, it would take a significantly smaller price to make me say, "no, I'll have this TV mailed to me instead from a website that will be a huge pain in the ass to return to if something is wrong and that I can't get a price adjustment on after the sale." I mean, until today, Best Buy was a better choice purely for the price adjustment policy anyway (as a silver member I bought many things last year at a higher price than I would have otherwise because I knew that there was a good chance I'd get the opportunity to price adjust if it dropped. The times it didn't, I had already been using the product for 2 months and wasn't as bothered by the price. Essentially, impulse purchases (which every store needs) are basically gone for me at Best Buy now. :cry:

Does BB pricematch newegg.com prices when I have to login to see the prices or use coupon codes? I figure the store might but not bestbuy.com.

[quote name='Kitoro']For Best Buy to truly end Showrooming, this isn't enough. They need to match Amazon's pricing on their own stickers. Most people will go into Best Buy, see something they want, check Amazon on their phones, and order it from there on the spot rather than bring it up to a Best Buy employee to price match.

This new system will not work to their favor on its own.[/QUOTE]

If someone is smart enough to check price on amazon they will know how to price match

[quote name='boneless']Does BB pricematch newegg.com prices when I have to login to see the prices or use coupon codes? I figure the store might but not bestbuy.com.[/QUOTE]
Proab not bestbuy.com but the store most likely will if you show em on your phone

Nothing like clogging up lines in future state.

Silver member "price match"
- Ring up new purchase
- Return new purchase under old receipt
- "I need to see your ID"
- type, type, type, type
- More money coming out register (i.e. more cash needed on hand)

Sure it only works for non-packaged items. But it still works (until they nerf Silver)

I think this new policy is gonna make me more of a cheapass than ever. I let my Gamers Club unlocked membership expire (which was yesterday) and planning to close my Best Buy MasterCard since it's up for a $59 annual fee.

GG Best Buy. Just made me more of a casual shopper there now.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']To think they'd keep up the previous price match policy would be completely idiotic. I'm glad they made the smart choice to get rid of it and save some profits. To compare the retailers, Best Buy still gets my love. Amazon won't even match prices of other retailers let alone match after purchase, best buy now does online retailers and the potential ones are pretty varied.[/QUOTE]
Oh? You're glad? Well that changes everything. I can finally be happy with ShitBuy's policy and their royal turd PM policy just because alwayscheaper is glad.

Best Buy fuckED up. There is no other way to say it.

I'm very happy about this. fuck All you fuckers. Maybe now they can stay in competition with everyone else and weed out the bottomfeeders..

[quote name='mabuhay13']I'm very happy about this. fuck All you fuckers. Maybe now they can stay in competition with everyone else and weed out the bottomfeeders..[/QUOTE]

I agree although not quite as colorfully as my fellow CAG above. If BB goes away, less competition means less choices. I mostly buy steam and rarely go BB anymore, but I'd hate for the additional option to disappear. I hope BB and GS survive by downsizing a lot.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I've pointed this out before but this isn't really the crowd for it... but a 15 day return window basically guarantees I won't be doing any gift shopping at Best Buy unless, maybe, it is last minute. I tend to get my Christmas shopping done as early as possible and tend to buy ahead of times for birthdays and such (there are only a few people I tend to buy stuff for) and I simply don't want to give out a present that can't be returned because I bought it less than a month ago but more than two weeks ago. This is where I think their new policy is really going to have issues.

Personally, I don't think the show-room thing has been having the effect that they think it has. I mean really, it would take a significantly smaller price to make me say, "no, I'll have this TV mailed to me instead from a website that will be a huge pain in the ass to return to if something is wrong and that I can't get a price adjustment on after the sale." I mean, until today, Best Buy was a better choice purely for the price adjustment policy anyway (as a silver member I bought many things last year at a higher price than I would have otherwise because I knew that there was a good chance I'd get the opportunity to price adjust if it dropped. The times it didn't, I had already been using the product for 2 months and wasn't as bothered by the price. Essentially, impulse purchases (which every store needs) are basically gone for me at Best Buy now. :cry:[/QUOTE]

A lot of retailers change their return policies for Xmas, I would assume BB will do the same, but if you are buying gifts in October you will still have a problem, as you probably would at any other store. If they want holiday sales then they will basically have to relax the return policy before Xmas.

I have to agree, I rarely return anything, and if I need more than 2 weeks to decide then I probably shouldn't be buying the item. For gifts throughout the year though this is a problem unless you buy the gift the day before and give the gift the next day.

My impulse purchases are limited to sale clothing and a few other things, games or electronics are almost 100% planned purchases for me unless the prices are really, really good and so far I haven't seen any of that at BB that I don't know about before I go into the store.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I've pointed this out before but this isn't really the crowd for it... but a 15 day return window basically guarantees I won't be doing any gift shopping at Best Buy unless, maybe, it is last minute. I tend to get my Christmas shopping done as early as possible and tend to buy ahead of times for birthdays and such (there are only a few people I tend to buy stuff for) and I simply don't want to give out a present that can't be returned because I bought it less than a month ago but more than two weeks ago. This is where I think their new policy is really going to have issues.[/QUOTE]I don't think Best Buy will change the expanded return policy they start having around November 1st for holiday purchases. If they didn't keep that, their holiday sales will be in the trash can for the reason you're mentioning.

Had a question about PMing but didn't wanna start a new thread. Can you pm with a receipt or is this YMMV? I went to pick up DBZ and noticed they had 2 copies of soul silver. I wanna pm with my target receipt but don't wanna waste the gas for a denial.

bread's done
Back