Best Buy Markdowns for the week of 5/30 (.01 guides and 4.99 games)

Yeahman

CAGiversary!
Ok I know much of this is already been posted in other threads, but here is the list of markdowns for this week. Some 4.99 games abd new .01 guides.

Again I know much of this is posted so withhold the sarcasm. Maybe there's something here that was overlooked.

All:

PoP 2 = 29.99
Ghost Recon 2 = 29.99
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (Not sure if 3 or 4) = 9.99

Cube:

NCAA Football 2005 = 4.99
1080 Snowboarding = 19.99

GBA:

THUG = 4.99
Castlevania = 4.99

PSX:

Medal of Honor = 4.99
DBZ: Final Bout = 4.99
Fifa 2005 = 4.99
Gameday 2005 = 4.99

PS2:

Madden, NBA Live, March Madness 2005 = 4.99
Psi ops = 4.99
Astro Boy = 4.99
Tomb Raider = 4.99
Wayne Grezty Hockey = 19.99
SRS = 19.99

XBOX:

IHRA = 9.99
Catwoman = 9.99
Breakdown = 4.99
Crash and Burn = 4.99
Driver = 9.99
SRS = 19.99

Guides

Xeno 2
MGS: Acid
DMC 3
TEkken 5
RE 4
Need for Speed 2
SW: Republic Commando
Jak 3
Fight Night 2
Kotor 2 (Ths wasn't on the list but has been reported)

What I dont understand is why some stores raise crap about the guides, but at other stores I've actually seen the once cent tags on the shelf, encouraging a purchase!

[quote name='schultzed']Please don't "raise hell" over penny guides. Technically, BB (and other stores) are supposed to pull them. They go to a penny for inventory purposes.

Don't complain to corporate or anyone else because it will only lead to a procedure where no one ever gets penny guides again . . . I'm serious, the best way to handle complaints over getting them is to eliminate the problem.

The publishers should require the stores to return the covers and stores could give them away without the covers . . . that's what happens with paperback books.[/QUOTE]

What?! they rip the covers off the paperback books? They should just sell them to a discount store. But I do understand why they rip the covers to magazines and tvguides to get credit. With the internet those get outdated before they see print.

[quote name='neoness']I can understand why they do this, to an extent. I used to work at the deli found in Publix chains. (Publix is a store down in Florida.. pretty popular. Crappy place to work IMO) Anyways, at the end of the day, we'd throw away a TON of deli meat and bread. I'm talking about several trash bag fulls.. we'd toss chicken, fried chicken, meats, cheeses, etc. It was pretty depressing at times.

I asked my manager why do we throw this away, and what do the customers think about it if they see it. She replied, "If the customers knew we were throwing this away at the end of the day, they wouldn't pay for our stuff anymore. They'd come at the end of the day and ask for a free sub." If we told them no, they'd reply, "Well you just throw it away anyways"

I'm not sure how they use the same mentality for game guides, but it sucks. Refusing to sell a guide cause of their own price on it? Lame.[/QUOTE]

That's even worse than the guide issue at BB. Why wouldn't Publix donate the food to the homeless, to those who truly needed it like those with those that can barely provide food, or other organizations that are out there to help others in need? Most of the super markets and places that sell food here donate it to organizations like the Salvation Army (especially around holidays). If it is an issue of people knowing that they donate food, then I'm sure it wouldn't bother them as it is giving it to the needed and our society needs to continue with our capatilistic standard of living. That is just fucking retarded at Publix and infuriates and pisses me off more than defacement and throwing away of guides at BB. If I were you, I would call up the local news station and have run an expose on them.

I mean, I know what it is like to grow up going from pay check to pay check or not having enough money for food. That's why there are organizations in place to help those in need.

[quote name='schultzed']Please don't "raise hell" over penny guides. Technically, BB (and other stores) are supposed to pull them. They go to a penny for inventory purposes.

Don't complain to corporate or anyone else because it will only lead to a procedure where no one ever gets penny guides again . . . I'm serious, the best way to handle complaints over getting them is to eliminate the problem.

The publishers should require the stores to return the covers and stores could give them away without the covers . . . that's what happens with paperback books.[/QUOTE]

I didn't make it an issue about the guides when I called BB Corporate up on it, but I did mention it when I called up the BBB. When I called BB Corporate i told them that there customer service was atrocious and that there manager was making up policies on the fly (which is true and not legal in any sense) and that they were withholding selling me an item and were being mean to me for no reason, but when I brought in my friend they didn't give him any problem in buying the guides. When I talked to the BBB I basically gave them all I said to BB Corporate plus the ino of what they were withholding to me even though there was signage pointing out the prices. Also told them that I thought they were practicing discriminatory practices. That one really set them off.

[quote name='62t']how do i contact the BB Corporate?[/QUOTE]

Just ask for their number when you go into the store; they should give it to. Otherwise it should be on their website I believe.

Edit: Since it was late last night, I forgot to mention that if you need the number for them that I should be able to find the number they gave me somewhere. I just don't know how long it'll take to find it though since stashed it away somewhere, but don't remember where.:lol:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']:lol:This is almost quote and sig worthy. This really made me laugh, no offense to you BIG5, but I found it funny tat you think that BB's team of economists know more than you or I do. I've taken economics, and if it's one thing that I can do, is that I can school BB in how to run a store and treat the customer and make money. All their economists and CEO seem to be able to do is just discourage customers and try lose foot/customer traffic and almost to say, kick the customer out who pays for their huge salaries.[/QUOTE]

Dude, honestly, shut up. You're making yourself sound like a fool. You remind me of one of those people who knows the bare basics of HTML (you know, like bolding your font and crap on parse-abled boards [such as CAG]) and then proclaims themselves a "programmer." Great, you've taken an economics class, now you know it all, right?

Thing is, Best Buy knows what they're doing. Hell, they've probably taken strategies that you've suggested only to find they weren't as profitable. How many people honestly know about penny guides? I mean, really, though. 1 in 10? Less than that? None of my friends did when I told them about it.

If I were a person who bought guides, I'd wait to buy them until they dropped down to a penny. Best Buy realizes that there are people like myself out there. Their job is not to serve you. They're trying to make money, while spending as little of it as possible (but still doing it in a responsible and professional manner, of course).

You want to know what's sig-worthy? You trying to belittle those who have more accomplishments, credentials and intelligence than yourself.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Dude, honestly, shut up. You're making yourself sound like a fool. You remind me of one of those people who knows the bare basics of HTML (you know, like bolding your font and crap on parse-abled boards [such as CAG]) and then proclaims themselves a "programmer." Great, you've taken an economics class, now you know it all, right?

Thing is, Best Buy knows what they're doing. Hell, they've probably taken strategies that you've suggested only to find they weren't as profitable. How many people honestly know about penny guides? I mean, really, though. 1 in 10? Less than that? None of my friends did when I told them about it.

If I were a person who bought guides, I'd wait to buy them until they dropped down to a penny. Best Buy realizes that there are people like myself out there. Their job is not to serve you. They're trying to make money, while spending as little of it as possible (but still doing it in a responsible and professional manner, of course).

You want to know what's sig-worthy? You trying to belittle those who have more accomplishments, credentials and intelligence than yourself.[/QUOTE]

I promise less then about 3% of the population know about penny guides. Alot of people seem to forget that cag is a very small minority in the big pie of thnigs.

The restaurant chain that I work for use to donate our old food, until they got sued for making people sick. Now we only donate food we make fresh by request only.

Back on the subject, I got really lucky for the first time getting the guides at BB. Going there at 4pm thinking they would only have the mangled ones left. But they had all the ones mentioned so far with at least 2 copies of each left. So I just picked up the ones that I or a friend needed only.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']My thoughts exactly. It really is beyond me as to why publishers just don't progressively price drop guides. I mean at certain price points I would definitely find it worth it to buy the guide for a game just like you pointed out. It really is a waste to destroy them or ruin the paper. At least they could recycle them, but no, from what my friend has told me, they are supposed to write all over them, tear them, or just to destroy them in any way possible so that someone can't get them or go dumpster diving or find them out in the back. Stupid IMO.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. IMO standard guides should start at $9.99 and drop to $5 once the game is around the $19.99 price point. Hell, it would even be wise to bundle games with their respective guides once the guides are supposed to go to the $0.01 mark. It would most likely push more games out of the store if the games were to come with a free guide, which would be destroyed/disposed of anyway.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's even worse than the guide issue at BB. Why wouldn't Publix donate the food to the homeless, to those who truly needed it like those with those that can barely provide food, or other organizations that are out there to help others in need? Most of the super markets and places that sell food here donate it to organizations like the Salvation Army (especially around holidays). If it is an issue of people knowing that they donate food, then I'm sure it wouldn't bother them as it is giving it to the needed and our society needs to continue with our capatilistic standard of living. That is just fucking retarded at Publix and infuriates and pisses me off more than defacement and throwing away of guides at BB. If I were you, I would call up the local news station and have run an expose on them.

I mean, I know what it is like to grow up going from pay check to pay check or not having enough money for food. That's why there are organizations in place to help those in need.[/QUOTE]

I donate a TON of stuff to charities & provide food for the homeless every year & i had this conversation years ago with my partners

The reason companies throw away perishable food(ALL supermarkets do this) is because if they gave it away & someone were to get sick that person could sue.

A friend of mine who was a manager at a KFC would throw away a shitload of chicken every night. We set it up where when she was closing the store she would just dump all the chicken in garbage bags, then got out to the dumpster & i would be waiting for it. I was talking to the guys at the church(the one's who actually goto the homeless shelter) & they were able to keep the shelter fully stocked with food.

[quote name='62t']how do i contact the BB Corporate?[/QUOTE]

Phone #: 612 291 1000

Address:
7601 Penn Avenue S.
Richfield, MN 55423

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Dude, honestly, shut up. You're making yourself sound like a fool. You remind me of one of those people who knows the bare basics of HTML (you know, like bolding your font and crap on parse-abled boards [such as CAG]) and then proclaims themselves a "programmer." Great, you've taken an economics class, now you know it all, right?

You want to know what's sig-worthy? You trying to belittle those who have more accomplishments, credentials and intelligence than yourself.[/QUOTE]

^ Correct.

I never have had any sort of problems at my local Best Buy in obtaining penny guides. I try my best not to hoard any guides (one of each) and I'm upfront with the cashier in the games section about it before checking out. I wound up telling the cashier today about CAG and about other stores that penny out their guides as well.

Here's my haul for today:

Astro Boy (PS2)

All Strat Guides:
KOTOR II
Jak 3
Xenosaga II
Devil May Cry 3
Tekken 5
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green (Prima)
Resident Evil 4

There were few left of each after I left, but hopefully other CAG's in the area will get to it...

[quote name='Joe Fongul']I never have had any sort of problems at my local Best Buy in obtaining penny guides. I try my best not to hoard any guides (one of each) and I'm upfront with the cashier in the games section about it before checking out. I wound up telling the cashier today about CAG and about other stores that penny out their guides as well.

Here's my haul for today:

Astro Boy (PS2)

All Strat Guides:
KOTOR II
Jak 3
Xenosaga II
Devil May Cry 3
Tekken 5
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green (Prima)
Resident Evil 4

There were few left of each after I left, but hopefully other CAG's in the area will get to it...[/QUOTE]

The first rule of CAG is: Never talk to retailers about CAG! ;)

I still don't understand the penny guide stuff. Everytime when I see topic about penny guides and try to get it at the store, they either don't have the guide or the price is still the original one.

[quote name='miriamleo']I still don't understand the penny guide stuff. Everytime when I see topic about penny guides and try to get it at the store, they either don't have the guide or the price is still the original one.[/QUOTE]

Are you having them rung up normally, or are you just looking at the price sticker?

^^^

There's nothing to really understand--if the guide is on the list, there's 99% odds that when you check out, it'll ring up for a penny. They rarely, if ever, update the actual price tag.... of course, being a penny, the competition for them is generally pretty fierce, but that's why you go as soon as the price is known.

If you get cr@p from employees, just buy some $20 item with it and return it the next day. Don't fly off the handle and start yelling at the employees. Most of the employees don't feel weird about ringing up penny guides if you're actually buying something of value. If you go up there with 10 guides and lay a dime on the counter a lot of employees will ask what the heck is going on.

Picked up NCAA Football 2005 (GCN) and Psi Ops (PS2) at the Tri-County location in Cincinnati. They had two copies of NCAA Football 2005 (GCN), 4 copies of Breakdown (xbox), 3 copies of PSI-Ops (PS2), and one copy of THUG (gba) left. I did not see any penny guides. Thank you for the deal OP.

I picked up a copy of Breakdown and Astro Boy it looked like there were at least 4 left after I bought mine. I also nabbed 3 DMC3 strategy guides and 2 Jak 3 guides. I wanted to get a KOTOR 2, but Greenwood BB didn't have any. I did see some Fight Night Round 2's, Tekken 5, Pokemon, and several more Jak 3's.

I would be interested in a Xenosaga 2 guide and/or Metal Gear Solid: Acid guide if anyone has an extra of either of these and would be interested in trading for something on my list.

I was at Brown Deer Rd, Milwaukee. They had RE4, Xenosaga 2, DMC3, MG:A, LOTR:TTA, Fight Night 2, Tekken 5. I picked up RE4, MG:A and Xeno2. The Xenosaga is up for trade/sale. (I have no trade list) Just send a PM.
Peace
coltcannon

Thanks - I snagged:

Guides

Xeno 2 (2)
MGS: Acid (1)
DMC 3 (1)
TEkken 5 (3)
RE 4 (4)
Need for Speed 2 (2)
Jak 3 (1)

The employee told me that they should have been removed before the store opened so whatever I didn't get was going to the back of the store to be destroyed.

Anyone tried to see if Psi Ops for Xbox was $5. I really want this game, but my PS2 is currently on the fritz.

I went to Best Buy today, the around Jefferson Pointe in Ft. Wayne, and I saw a few games priced at $4.99, but no $0.01 guides. I looked all over the store and they were no where in sight. I'm thinking that the other Best Buy in town told them to pull them off the shelves.

I did get Astro Boy for $4.99 though. I could have bought Breakdown for that price, but I truly loathe first person games, eventhough it was made by Namco (I truly love Namco).

[quote name='NeueZiel']Anyone tried to see if Psi Ops for Xbox was $5. I really want this game, but my PS2 is currently on the fritz.[/QUOTE]

Check your local Target. It's down to $4.98 for Xbox.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Columbia, MD, store still had some stuff in stock after the long Memorial Day holiday weekend. I was certain that anything worth buying would have been picked clean by Tuesday, but I am happy to find that I was wrong about this.

I found Breakdown and Crash & Burn (Xbox) for $5 each and a number of the penny guides (DMC3, Republic Commando, NFS2, Tekken 5, RE4, KOTOR2, MGS: Acid, Jak3 and even a few older guides I hadn't seen in quite a while). I want to thank BB (and any CAGs that left stuff there for the rest of us) for this opportunity. It was a worthwhile trip today. :D

Please shut up yourself. I have as much right as anyone to post on this message board as long as I abide by the rules and guidelines that Cheapy has posted for us to honor.

Also, I don't really give a fuck about what you think. You don't know me and I don't know you (at least on a personal level). I don't have to tell you what amount of education I have recieved nor that I have taken far more than just an economics class as you have put it. And really, I couldn't give a shit about what the fuck you think.

This is a great line from you post, "Their job is not to serve you." That is correct. All they are supposed to do is to offer me the goods and services that I require, but I am there to provide them with the money that they yearn for and by discouraging customers they are not doing that. That and other reasons are obviously why they are losing money and have institued this policy of identifying "devil customers", etc. They simply can no longer compete with other stores like they once were able to. It really is no surprise to me, and to tell you the truth, no amount of penny guides are the reason for why it is happening to them. Obviously Best Buy does not know what they are doing.

End of rant and end of going off topic on this thread. I got my games and guides and I'm happy. I'm done. Thanks OP.

Guides:
Fight Night Round 2
NFS Underground 2
Tekken 5
Devil May Cry 3
Resident Evil 4

Games:
Madden 2004 (free after coupon, female cashier DUMBFOUNDED by this!)
Greg Hastings Paintball (For $9.99 I know this was a "splurge" purchase as a RZ member, though It didn't ring automatically)

Total: $10.64

Thanks OP....

Got myself a Jak III guide, Need for Speed 2 and Metal Gear Acid(Willing to trade if anyone wants to)

Plus used a $5 coupon and got Timesplitters 2 for 4.99

Thanks for the post. I picked up Jak 3 and DMC 3 guides, Tomb Raider (hey! it's only $5) and TH 4 plus some stuff with a GGC - the clerk let me use one coupon for 3 games!!! Woo hoo!

In case anyone is in the area, the Brookfield, WI Best Buy is really lax about tossing penny guides, and usually marks them at 1 cent, as was the case today. I grabbed the following

DMC3
Xenosaga 2
Fight Night R2
Rep Commando
NFSU2 x2 (one for me, another for my friend)

The others I picked up were ones I already had, and I'd be willing to trade them for other guides I don't have

RE4
Tekken 5
MG Acid
Jak 3

There were extras of most of the guides to go around, I also was handed a $5 off PS2 coupon by a guy in the department, and I bought Psi Ops for a friend which cost me... nothing. And I got DBZ Final Bout for $5, so I could laugh at its horridness.

Total amount spent: $5.35 :)

Wow, my store was picked clean, no 4.99 games left and all the guides were gone except one copy of fight night round 2 that was hidden away.

I used to be able to go to bestbuy and pick up a guide each of what I wanted like a week later, this sucks :(

I went to the Grandville Michigan location and there was nothing. Spoke to an empoyee I knew and she said one person bought all the guides. Sigh, all I wanted was two....weak...

oh well

[quote name='ZForce']In case anyone is in the area, the Brookfield, WI Best Buy is really lax about tossing penny guides, and usually marks them at 1 cent, as was the case today. I grabbed the following

DMC3
Xenosaga 2
Fight Night R2
Rep Commando
NFSU2 x2 (one for me, another for my friend)

The others I picked up were ones I already had, and I'd be willing to trade them for other guides I don't have

RE4
Tekken 5
MG Acid
Jak 3

There were extras of most of the guides to go around, I also was handed a $5 off PS2 coupon by a guy in the department, and I bought Psi Ops for a friend which cost me... nothing. And I got DBZ Final Bout for $5, so I could laugh at its horridness.

Total amount spent: $5.35 :)[/QUOTE]

I would love the RE4, let meknowwhat you need.
Pm sent also.

[quote name='darkje']I used to be able to go to bestbuy and pick up a guide each of what I wanted like a week later, this sucks :([/QUOTE]

Some people celebrate the increased traffic this site is getting without realizing that more visitors also means more competition for the various deals reported here. It also means a higher likelihood of some genius shooting his mouth off to retail store employees, which often blows the deal for everyone else.

i went to my local best buy and they had a ton of guides left. i picked up the following:

tekken 5 (2x)
dmc 3
resident evil 4
mgs: acid
sw: republic commando
jak 3
fight night round 2

i also used the $5 off coupon to get march madness 05 for free

Apparently there is something wrong with their online seach engine cause I tried looking up some guides and when I click on the link it says that page is not available or something. It does this for Xenosaga 2, Resident Evil 4, and a few other guides. I want to save myself a trip if I can.

Wow, I finally got in on penny guides! I was surprised to find my BB had several copies of the DMC 3, MG Ac!d and RE 4 guides left. At first, I thought it had to be a trick, so I went to checkout with only an Ac!d guide, Madden 2004, and the $5 off coupon. The girl rings everything up, looks confused for a moment (while I hold my breath in anticipation) and says, "A penny." But, stupid me, I had no change on me, so I pull out a dollar and hand it to her. She asks, "Don't you have a penny?" I tell her no, sorry, so she spots me the cent and says, "You got a great deal!"

Picked up some today (was amazed there were some there
Xenosaga 2
RE4 (no poster)
Fight Night 2
KOTOR2
SW: Rep Comm
MG Acid
Tekken 5

but was shut out on DMC3... I would be willing to part with any of these for that guide

Also picked up a 4.99 astroboy for the PS2

3 PM's for the RE4 guide in 15 minutes, wow :) I responded to those PM's that were sent to me, I may go see if there are any more guides at that BB to trade here, since a lot of people seem to want em.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Some people celebrate the increased traffic this site is getting without realizing that more visitors also means more competition for the various deals reported here. It also means a higher likelihood of some genius shooting his mouth off to retail store employees, which often blows the deal for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Well... someone dosen't have to shoot their mouth off to an employee, it will trickle it's way down.

Say a media employee is friends with a cashier, and they bring up "Yea, it was the weirdest thing, but some guy got a bunch of guides today for a penny each". From then on, they are always going to keep an eye out for this type of thing.

i've seen a couple of posters say they were able to get in on these penny guides here in so. cal best buys. i may go try to get a couple of guides (mainly DMC3 and MG: ACID).

for those fellow so. cal cags, which BBs did you go to? i'm mainly in the los angeles area.

Does anyone know when these particular prices for these specific guides began? This is only because I was at BB like a week ago and I forgot to check how much the guides were.

[quote name='mjkusy13']Does anyone know when these particular prices for these specific guides began? This is only because I was at BB like a week ago and I forgot to check how much the guides were.[/QUOTE]

It was reported yesterday, I believe.

[quote name='mjkusy13']Does anyone know when these particular prices for these specific guides began? This is only because I was at BB like a week ago and I forgot to check how much the guides were.[/QUOTE]

BB guide drops in price happen on Mondays, as do their normal game price drops.

This time around, since Monday was Memorial Day, most BB's were on Sunday hours, which sort of screwed things up for some CAGs who'd find out in the evening and go to BB after work.

The one I checked, which is out of the way and normally had guides/games when the others don't, was picked clean. More like cleaned out and tossed in the trash, if I had to guess, from the BB reps.

bread's done
Back