BEST BUY Paper Mario 2 Thousand Year Door $19.99 (used to be $9.99)

I keep getting an email every few days. The shipping date has been revised. You should expect your game around 10/2004.

If I had 30 minutes to burn on hold, I'd give them a call and ask for a real explanation.

It's so sad when a major corporation screws up shipping dates this bad.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I keep getting an email every few days. The shipping date has been revised. You should expect your game around 10/2004.

If I had 30 minutes to burn on hold, I'd give them a call and ask for a real explanation.

It's so sad when a major corporation screws up shipping dates this bad.[/QUOTE]
I got an initial email saying it was backordered and they expect it to ship in 1-2 weeks. That's all.

wut the hell?
my order never went through. they took all my information and everything and it says i never placed an order?

scandalous bastards!

My friend and I got one each on Tuesday at a CC via price match. It was closing, so they hurried it. There are 7 more at another CC, but they wouldn't PM. We're going back closer to closing to try again, with the receipts from the first time in tow. I'll have to flip a copy for something new and bring it back to get a copy of Time Crisis 3 - it comes with 2 guns for $55!

PM at CC is the way folks, but you might have to take $20. If you're flipping there's still good profit there.

[quote name='pellucidity']My friend and I got one each on Tuesday at a CC via price match. It was closing, so they hurried it. There are 7 more at another CC, but they wouldn't PM. We're going back closer to closing to try again, with the receipts from the first time in tow. I'll have to flip a copy for something new and bring it back to get a copy of Time Crisis 3 - it comes with 2 guns for $55!

PM at CC is the way folks, but you might have to take $20. If you're flipping there's still good profit there.[/quote]

:bomb:

[quote name='pellucidity']My friend and I got one each on Tuesday at a CC via price match. It was closing, so they hurried it. There are 7 more at another CC, but they wouldn't PM. We're going back closer to closing to try again, with the receipts from the first time in tow. I'll have to flip a copy for something new and bring it back to get a copy of Time Crisis 3 - it comes with 2 guns for $55!

PM at CC is the way folks, but you might have to take $20. If you're flipping there's still good profit there.[/QUOTE]

just cause one CC price matches doesnt mean another will.... your recept dont mean a thing cause it proves they already priced match... do you really think they are going to give you 7 copies of this game at 9.99 on a price match ......

you be lucky to get 1 each

PM at CC is the way folks, but you might have to take $20. If you're flipping there's still good profit there.[/QUOTE]
blowup.gif

PM at CC is the way folks, but you might have to take $20. If you're flipping there's still good profit there.[/quote]
Anyone mention you're a little parasitical fuck? How about leaving those for people that actually want it to play?

Asshole.

[quote name='shrike4242']Anyone mention you're a little parasitical fuck? How about leaving those for people that actually want it to play?

Asshole.[/QUOTE]

in addition there isnt even any profit there (assuming he means trading it in or reselling), I think what he is doing is pulling the walmart scam

[/quote]

Take it from a "hoarder"...

That's not flipping. That's stealing.

If you take a pricematched game and return it back to the same store for any additional money, it's no different than sticking your hand in their drawer.

If you're going to flip, slowly buy pricematched copies of the game from CC or Walmart for $10 and dump them on eBay for $20-25 (or trade them here for a gun or two). After 4-6 sales, you'll have enough extra cash to buy Time Crisis 3 outright. It'll take about a week, but your fellow CAGs in the area will have a chance to snag a copy for their personal use.

Well i have good news for me that isnt illegal. I printed the ad out a while back and took it in to the store today and picked up the game for $8! I am realy happy, Amazing deal, that you so much OP.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Take it from a "hoarder"...

That's not flipping. That's stealing.

If you take a pricematched game and return it back to the same store for any additional money, it's no different than sticking your hand in their drawer.

If you're going to flip, slowly buy pricematched copies of the game from CC or Walmart for $10 and dump them on eBay for $20-25 (or trade them here for a gun or two). After 4-6 sales, you'll have enough extra cash to buy Time Crisis 3 outright. It'll take about a week, but your fellow CAGs in the area will have a chance to snag a copy for their personal use.[/QUOTE]

You got me all wrong. I kept a couple copies, my friend kept one also. The rest were exchanged for other games at Target and Wal-Mart. They'll be there for CAGers to snag when the PC comes out, so you can get the game for cheap (again) and not the yellow stripe.

Why do I say rest? Because the same CC did indeed sell us 9 more copies last night, at $8 plus tax on 110% PM. We even took a picture of them.

And thanks to that, I have very short list of games to get. If anyone in my area wants that PM, they can still go to the other CC and there's 6 copies left. There's a serious glut around here.

[quote name='pellucidity']You got me all wrong. I kept a couple copies, my friend kept one also. The rest were exchanged for other games at Target and Wal-Mart. They'll be there for CAGers to snag when the PC comes out, so you can get the game for cheap (again) and not the yellow stripe.

Why do I say rest? Because the same CC did indeed sell us 9 more copies last night, at $8 plus tax on 110% PM. We even took a picture of them.

And thanks to that, I have very short list of games to get. If anyone in my area wants that PM, they can still go to the other CC and there's 6 copies left. There's a serious glut around here.[/QUOTE]

its just too bad a cop dont know who you are and waited for you to take these games back to target and walmart and threw your ass in jail... the world would be a better place... Who the hell cares if you kept a coupl copies for yourself and you only returned 1 to target... you still a common theif and should have your ass tossed in jail and meet your new wife bubba : )

lets all go rob a bank and tell the cops BUT I ONLY ROBBED one you cant throw me in jail

Let me get this straight, in plain english since these posts have had a lot of gibberish making them hard to understand.

You buy the game at $8. Take it to another store, say Target, and return it to them for their full price, say $50. You have now gained $42 in profit abusing a return policy. I say you gained $42, because that is the same as trading for a $50 game.

So, Target right now has lost $50 but gained a game to sell. You know full well that the game is dropping in price to $20. So, Target will most likely not be able to sell the game for more than $20, meaning they lost $30 in the transaction.

You gain $42. Target loses $30. That sounds fair, good job...

Why don't you take it a step further? Go back to Target, have them pricematch the ad and get the game you just sold them for $50 back for $8, then 'return' it to Walmart, and keep going. There's no stealing in any of this, right?

You know they keep tabs on your returns w/o reciepts. I think Walmart, BB , and TRU has like a 3 return per year. I think Target has a return limit based on $ value. Anyways, they all use some nationwide registry that stores all returns w/o reciept based on your DL. Raise a red flag and they'll be blacklisted. They will never be able to return to either one of these chains and other stores that use the registry.

[quote name='spamfree2']You know they keep tabs on your returns w/o reciepts. I think Walmart, BB , and TRU has like a 3 return per year. I think Target has a return limit based on $ value. Anyways, they all use some nationwide registry that stores all returns w/o reciept based on your DL. Raise a red flag and they'll be blacklisted. They will never be able to return to either one of these chains and other stores that use the registry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't make a habit of this, so I'm not worried there.

Arbitrage

[quote name='pellucidity']Yeah, I don't make a habit of this, so I'm not worried there.

Arbitrage[/QUOTE]
:roll: I wish people had to have intelligence AND common sense to use the word "arbitrage." That fits if you buy Paper Mario for $10 and trade it in to Blockbuster for $20. Last I heard, Target was not in the business of buying games from people off the street to sell for the same cost.

[quote name='botticus']:roll: I wish people had to have intelligence AND common sense to use the word "arbitrage." That fits if you buy Paper Mario for $10 and trade it in to Blockbuster for $20. Last I heard, Target was not in the business of buying games from people off the street to sell for the same cost.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I'm interested to see what people on this site consider "fair" and "abusive". To me, using a Best Buy Gamer Gift Card for every game you buy there does seem to be outside the spirit of the promotion (not that I am judging people who use that offer). EB buys used games, but does it serve any purpose to open a new game and sell it as used? I though people disliked it when EB and GS open new games to sell as used (like Rez).

you're comparing 2 completely different things. the GGC is a promotion that u sign up for and still you only get $5 off or so. what your are doing by returning games and making a profit is illegal.s eems like you're trying to jsutify your actions which were wrong. IF the stores knew what u did, i gurantee they'd be against it.

[quote name='rly723']you're comparing 2 completely different things. the GGC is a promotion that u sign up for and still you only get $5 off or so. what your are doing by returning games and making a profit is illegal.s eems like you're trying to jsutify your actions which were wrong. IF the stores knew what u did, i gurantee they'd be against it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really interested in justifying myself. I'm more interested in knowing where CAGers generally draw the line. People seemed more concerned about BB stopping the GGC promo than whether it was fair to put one cent on a gift card to get the coupon (barring the fact that it's pointless anyway if you have to get a $20 game).

So, people seem to be against mass gift exchanges. How about some more examples of what you do and don't consider kosher? Anything that's illegal is obviously out, but what about asking CC for the price match in the first place, when people wondered if it was a misprint - people seemed OK with that. Is it OK to punish CC for BB's mistake*, just because they have the 110% guarantee?

*hypothetically.

I take advantage once in a great while. That's the American way. It's not like anyone here doesn't buy products made by 5 yr old slaves in 3rd world countries. ;)

Anyway let's say I returned TS:FP(Time Splitters:Future Perfect) to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $50 from Wal-mart. And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out $30 anyway?

Say I returned TS:FP to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $20 somewhere else (like Wal-mart.com :) ). And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out the same $30?

I don't see any difference. The country is built on buying low and selling high. What if you go to sell your used car and price it $1000 more than the going rate to start with. Are you trying to take advantage of potential customers for not doing their homework? Yes you are. That's what I feel one is doing when they return games to Wal-mart after buying them cheaper somewhere else. You're taking advantage of Wal-mart not doing their homework about game prices. IN either case it's not like you, the potential car buyer or Wal-mart, the potential return taker, can't say no. It's not like you are giving them a shoddy product either.

To prevent this from being abused Wal-mart has a limit of 3 returns without a receipt per year.

[quote name='trip1eX']Anyway let's say I returned TS:FP(Time Splitters:Future Perfect) to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $50 from Wal-mart. And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out $30 anyway?
[/QUOTE]

Another side question: does anyone know if Wal-mart especially has a deal with the publishers here? I know that when a game goes GH/PC and falls, the price is effective immediately, and the publishers make good on what the retailers lose, same with the DS and PStwo price cuts. How common is this for the various $10 price drops?

Clearly there's nothing wrong with waiting and then racing out to get God of War or RE4 as soon as they hit $20 but before the cases get uglified.

[quote name='pellucidity']So, people seem to be against mass gift exchanges. How about some more examples of what you do and don't consider kosher? Anything that's illegal is obviously out, but what about asking CC for the price match in the first place, when people wondered if it was a misprint - people seemed OK with that. Is it OK to punish CC for BB's mistake*, just because they have the 110% guarantee?[/QUOTE]

I personally don't take advantage of pricematching mistakes, but in that case, CC clearly has the power to deny/accept the pricematch of any questionable ad. If they choose to grant it, then nothing illegal has taken place. Assuming they are aware it might be an ad mistake, this is just a YMMV price adjustment, with NO DECEIT ON EITHER SIDE, although you are taking advantage of their generous policies.

[quote name='trip1eX']Anyway let's say I returned TS:FP(Time Splitters:Future Perfect) to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $50 from Wal-mart. And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out $30 anyway?

Say I returned TS:FP to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $20 somewhere else (like Wal-mart.com ). And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out the same $30? [/QUOTE]

I would guess that the stores have some sort of credit system in place to handle global price drops with suppliers, or else stores would never allow the GH versions to be sold if they had to eat huge inventory at the old price.

Return policies are there for one reason: To return items you bought at that store at that store's price, NOT for them to rebuy similar items from you. I'm sure they realize some foreign gift return situations might occur, but that in no way excuses you from knowingly deceiving them to make a profit. There is clearly an intent to DECEIVE on your side. If you can't see the difference, then that is sad.

[quote name='scottman']

Return policies are there for one reason: To return items you bought at that store at that store's price, NOT for them to rebuy similar items from you. I'm sure they realize some foreign gift return situations might occur, but that in no way excuses you from knowingly deceiving them to make a profit. There is clearly an intent to DECEIVE on your side. If you can't see the difference, then that is sad.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget too that you aren't supposed to have a beer when you're under 21. Also if you roll slowly thru a stop sign that's still a crime. Oh and when reporting the value of the clothes you donated to charity on your taxes it's a crime to deceive the IRS and report their value a little bit higher than what they are worth. Last of course it's illegal to go over the speed limit in your car and also deceptive to tell the officer you weren't speeding when he stops your car.

I have been guilty of the all the above crimes at one time or another. I live in shame. It is sad.

And yes I have used retailers like Wal-mart as an outlet in which to sell my legally purchased goods to. I have purchased a game for $20 and returned the unopened game to a store for $50 credit and used that credit to buy another game. Thankfully tho that's not a crime. And thankfully Wal-mart can say no or change their return policy if they would like.

Other times I have bought games for $20 and sold them on Ebay to consumers for $45. I have taken advantage of consumers who haven't done their homework and have profited from it. Thank goodness that isn't a crime either.

I have also purchased a console system at launch and sold it on Ebay for profit.

I have also used photocopies of those launchday 360 coupon book coupons that were posted on CAG awhile back to purchase a couple of games.

And I have put $0.01 on a giftcard and used the included Best Buy GCC to get $5 off a game without leaving the store or the cashier. I've taken advantage here too.

How exactly is a RETURN in any way the same thing as selling a game on eBay (other than the fact that you make a profit either way). At this point, I'm all for factory tagging of inventory that tracks where the product goes, and considering that both Target & Wal-Mart already have systems capable of that, it just needs to be implemented. It will happen eventually, so enjoy it while it lasts. You can be a CAG and not be unethical, which I personally feel taking advantage of soft return policies is doing. I don't mind so much taking a few bucks from Wal-Mart here and there, they can afford it, but the same disdain for their unethical policies that breeds that sentiment is exactly why I don't do business there to begin with...at all. To each their own, but ultimately it will force companies to change their policies and raise prices. I'll take a different route, be patient, take advantage of clearances and not rip off my fellow gamers.

You'll take a different route and buy games for cheap for the sole purpose of making a profit on Ebay. Of course you're being ethical and you're not ripping off other gamers.

The funny thing is retailers have policies against selling their products to dealers. They want to sell to the end customer. They don't want to sell to folks who are only going to put the product up on Ebay. Anytime you buy a product at a retailer with the sole intent of turning around and selling it on Ebay for money then you're being deceptive. This kind of action will result in retailers changing their policies. We'll see higher prices of consoles at launch because more and more folks will buy 'em just to put 'em up on Ebay. We'll probably eventually see game clearances all go up on auction sites like Ebay or perhaps the company's own auction site.

Anyone who returns a new game to a store is not ripping off another fellow gamer anymore than the person who buys a sale item only to sell it on Ebay for more money. If you look at the bigger picture it's the same difference.

Let's take this to an extreme just to show how wrong it is, even though this isn't realistic. Let's say John's Ford dealer has a huge going out of business sale, trying to get rid of their inventory. You find an Explorer for 15,000 down from a 30,000 MSRP. You buy it.

Let's say Mike's Ford dealer straight across the street accepts returns without receipts for full price. You hop the car straight across the street and 'return' it to them for 30,000.

Then, take it an extra step knowing that the next year's models are just about to come out, and Mike's Ford dealer is going to drop their prices for their own inventory sale the very next day. So the car they just bought from you is about to be dropped in price to 20,000. Meaning, they lost 10,000 for accepting your ILLEGAL return.

Sure, talking about video games we are dealing with less money, but this is exactly what happened.

[quote name='trip1eX']Anyone who returns a new game to a store is not ripping off another fellow gamer anymore than the person who buys a sale item only to sell it on Ebay for more money. If you look at the bigger picture it's the same difference.[/QUOTE]

How many times do we have to explain the difference?

When you buy an item from anywhere, both buyer and seller are agreeing to a certain price. The buyer is free to then sell it to anyone else at another agreed upon price. Nothing deceptive in any of these transactions. Buyers know that ebay sellers likely paid less than their price, but that doesn't even matter. Selling an item you can get cheaper to someone who can't or doesn't care to hunt for bargains is not deceptive in the least. You have a strange understanding of what deception is.

Returning an item to the wrong store and taking more money than you paid for it is deceiving that store. Sure, you can say that MAYBE they can sell it for more to someone else, effectively not losing money off of it, but you are in no position to assume that and force a retailer to do that.

You're deceiving Best Buy when you buy an item for purposes of turning around and reselling it. Go ask a Best Buy manager if it's their policy to sell to dealers. It isn't.

Case closed.

[quote name='trip1eX']You're deceiving Best Buy when you buy an item for purposes of turning around and reselling it. Go ask a Best Buy manager if it's their policy to sell to dealers. It isn't.

Case closed.[/QUOTE]
What if you buy a game and then a few months later decide to sell it on eBay? Are you a dealer then? No. Hard to quantify a difference there. Dealers are generally defined as people buying mass quantities of games to resell. And sadly Best Buy does sell to dealers, just go look up some of the stories from the BB clearance a few months ago.

And this thread should really get closed/moved/smacked around a little at this point.

Well I can see that now I'm hitting home here.

Anyway my main point was to lay off folks that might return a new game to a store every once in awhile for a little credit because some of you all should look in the mirror.

IT's not like some of you bastards (I use that term in a friendly manner) aren't going in and clearing out inventory from various retailers for the sole purposes of turning around and selling it for a profit on Ebay. IT's not like you aren't depriving gamers in your area (or across the country) the chance of actually buying a product they wanted and will use (and not sell) for a cheap price. It's not like your actions won't 'cause stores to change their policy in regards to how they sell discounted merchandise. IT's not like a Walmart can't change their return policy and not accept returns without a receipt. It's not like they already don't know that some returns might not be bought there. It's not like they can't say no. It's not like any of you are upfront and telling the managers of the stores you enter that you are buying their merchandise for the sole purpose of reselling it. It's not like Gamestop/Ebgames policy of not accepting returns without receipts has caused game prices to be higher.

So lighten up on the preaching. I tell you I don't make any distinction between someone that buys say a 360 for $400 to sell on Ebay for $200 profit or someone that buys a game from walmart.com for $20 and returns it for for $50 of credit at Walmart.

[quote name='trip1eX']

So lighten up on the preaching. I tell you I don't make any distinction between someone that buys say a 360 for $400 to sell on Ebay for $200 profit or someone that buys a game from walmart.com for $20 and returns it for for $50 of credit at Walmart.[/quote]
Evidently Walmart and others retailers disagree with you. That's why they have limits on returns to keep scammers like you away. Yet one can go in and buy 10 xbox 360s if they had them in stock even with the intent to sell on E-bay. They wouldn't even care.

[quote name='trip1eX']Well I can see that now I'm hitting home here.

Anyway my main point was to lay off folks that might return a new game to a store every once in awhile for a little credit because some of you all should look in the mirror.
So lighten up on the preaching. I tell you I don't make any distinction between someone that buys say a 360 for $400 to sell on Ebay for $200 profit or someone that buys a game from walmart.com for $20 and returns it for for $50 of credit at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

I've only sold maybe 2 items on ebay ever, so you're not hitting home with me. But jumping on a no-limit good deal for profit and potentially taking that opportunity away from others is an entirely different moral dilemma than committing FRAUD on a return. When a person no longer can or chooses not to make those distinctions, that is what prisons are for.

yeah throw this punk @ss in jail with his butt boy friend too. you're a hoarder who is cheating the system and spoiling deals for other people who just wanted 1 copy. case closed biotch!!!

[quote name='trip1eX'] It's not like your actions won't 'cause stores to change their policy in regards to how they sell discounted merchandise. [/QUOTE]

With a clearance, I really don't think stores care. They want the merchandise out as soon as possible. During the KB clearance I bought about 12 games at one store (most were for myself but a few of the junky $1.00 games I bought some extras of because they had a ton of them and I used them for trading in as used games). The manager actually said something along the lines of, "the more you buy the better for me because I need these games out of here to make room for newer items."

any news on if BB will still honor this deal or will they cancel the orders now that Paper Mario 2 is retailing at $19.99?

::EDIT:: Last two copies gone; will look for some more.

I picked up two extra copies at my local COMP USA ($10.76 each) store for some CAGs that missed out on the deal for $9.99. I'd be willing to sell it to those who would ACTUALLY play the game and not turn around and flip them for $14 shipped. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I picked up two extra copies at my local COMP USA ($10.76 each) store for some CAGs that missed out on the deal for $9.99. I'd be willing to sell it to those who would ACTUALLY play the game and not turn around and flip them for $14 shipped. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

you have a PM!

Well, I went to CC to try to PM today and the nearby BB was OOS so they didn't PM it. They told me their price was $19.99 so I just went ahead and bought it.

Oh, please. I can almost understand if you actually did buy the game from Walmart.com you could justify returning it to the store for profit. However, how often is this the case and not other cases where you buy from a completely different store that has no Wal-Mart affiliation and return it to Wal-Mart for a profit. In this case, your justification falls apart. In your example, not only is Wal-Mart out the $30 from the price drop, but they're also out the $50 that they gave you when you "returned" the game to the store. So a full $80. That's nice of you.

And sure, you can justify your unethical actions all you want by saying that as long as Wal-mart accepts the return then it can't be wrong, but they offer that no-receipt return policy for the ease and comfort of their customers who know that even if they lose the receipt on an item they purchased from Wal-mart they will be able to return it if there's a problem. It's a return desk, not a pawn shop.

And yes, I'm sure they do figure that some people will take advantage of their policy. That's the price they have to pay for doing business with human beings: some of them are scumbags and will make them take a loss. But come on, do you really want to be Wal-mart's scumbag?

[quote name='trip1eX']I take advantage once in a great while. That's the American way. It's not like anyone here doesn't buy products made by 5 yr old slaves in 3rd world countries. ;)

Anyway let's say I returned TS:FP(Time Splitters:Future Perfect) to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $50 from Wal-mart. And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out $30 anyway?

Say I returned TS:FP to Wal-mart for $50 credit after buying it for $20 somewhere else (like Wal-mart.com :) ). And then a week later the price falls to $20. Isn't Wal-mart out the same $30?

I don't see any difference. The country is built on buying low and selling high. What if you go to sell your used car and price it $1000 more than the going rate to start with. Are you trying to take advantage of potential customers for not doing their homework? Yes you are. That's what I feel one is doing when they return games to Wal-mart after buying them cheaper somewhere else. You're taking advantage of Wal-mart not doing their homework about game prices. IN either case it's not like you, the potential car buyer or Wal-mart, the potential return taker, can't say no. It's not like you are giving them a shoddy product either.

To prevent this from being abused Wal-mart has a limit of 3 returns without a receipt per year.[/quote]

All the useless OT and scamming/posturing junk in this thread for the last few pages has been flushed out.

Please keep things on-topic related to the OP.

[quote name='anderton']Still backordered. Are these essentially lost orders or will they inevitably go through?[/quote]

I'd say these are essentially lost orders.

bread's done
Back