Best Buy Pre-order Bonuses

KABUKISTAR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I thought I'd create this, in the same vein as the GameStop pre-order bonuses thread.

Best Buy pre-orders usually come in the form of a game case, stating that it's a pre-order for the game. It rings up as $5 ($10 for some games), and usually doesn't contain anything, and you just buy it to reserve your copy of the game. After the game comes out, you can use subtract the price of the pre-order from the game when you buy it. Or, if you don't want the game, you can just get the money you payed for it back. So, these pre-orders are functionally free in the long run.

A number of games, come with special pre-order bonuses inside of the cases. This thread is to catalogue all those freebie bonuses that you can get with game pre-orders.

There'll be a list of them going in the second post.

I've also heard they'll be having an exclusive theme for Killzone 2. I'll have to go to a different BB though, I went to my normal one and couldn't find any preorder stuff at all.

Is the $10 to 250 point ratio enough to go pre-order happy on FEAR 2? Well, if they let you return all of them and/or treat them like gift cards so you can use them on anything and let you keep the points methinks yes.

[quote name='rainking187']I've also heard they'll be having an exclusive theme for Killzone 2. I'll have to go to a different BB though, I went to my normal one and couldn't find any preorder stuff at all.[/QUOTE]

Yah whats odd is when I went to my best buy it wasn't with the games stuff. It was on an end isle over by the blu-ray's and Cd's so you may want to check an endcap or just ask

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If anything I'll pay the $5 and then return it.[/quote]

This is what I do. I pre-order the game, get the free item, and just show up to customer service later and ask them to cancel the reserve. So I get the item AND my $5 back! It has worked like 10 times.

I checked the Rewardzone Website, and 250 points is just enough for a $5 certificate. You could really make this deal profitable, if you bought a pre-order, and then got a refund several times. Do it 20 times, and you've just made yourself $100 in-store credit.

Next time I'm down there, I'll take a closer look at the fine print on this deal, and see if it says anything about losing the points, if you return the pre-order without buying the game, just to make sure. However, I'm pretty sure they wont withdraw points, and even if they do points then you can just order your certs before you return the pre-orders.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I checked the Rewardzone Website, and 250 points is just enough for a $5 certificate. You could really make this deal profitable, if you bought a pre-order, and then got a refund several times. Do it 20 times, and you've just made yourself $100 in-store credit.

Next time I'm down there, I'll take a closer look at the fine print on this deal, and see if it says anything about losing the points, if you return the pre-order without buying the game, just to make sure. However, I'm pretty sure they wont withdraw points, and even if they do points then you can just order your certs before you return the pre-orders.[/quote]

Yeah, that won't look weird returning 20 pre orders of a game (even if you do it seperately..)

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I checked the Rewardzone Website, and 250 points is just enough for a $5 certificate. You could really make this deal profitable, if you bought a pre-order, and then got a refund several times. Do it 20 times, and you've just made yourself $100 in-store credit.

Next time I'm down there, I'll take a closer look at the fine print on this deal, and see if it says anything about losing the points, if you return the pre-order without buying the game, just to make sure. However, I'm pretty sure they wont withdraw points, and even if they do points then you can just order your certs before you return the pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

1) That's beyond cheap (sorry, not a compliment)
2) The points will probably stay as pending until you are past the return period (how every other point shows). You could try it since a $5 pre-order turns into a $5 GC...

Next time I'm down there, I'll take a closer look at the fine print on this deal, and see if it says anything about losing the points, if you return the pre-order without buying the game, just to make sure. However, I'm pretty sure they wont withdraw points, and even if they do points then you can just order your certs before you return the pre-orders.[/QUOTE]
Umm Hi I want to preorder 20 FEAR 2s...no no, I'm going to keep them and um....give them to...
:roll:

The only problem with that is you're basically out $100 for at least 30 days. Then you'll probably have to get credit for not picking up the preorder one at a time, so it could be a lengthy process to do it 20 times. But a dedicated CAG could do it! :D

[quote name='Josef']The only problem with that is you're basically out $100 for at least 30 days. Then you'll probably have to get credit for not picking up the preorder one at a time, so it could be a lengthy process to do it 20 times. But a dedicated CAG could do it! :D[/quote]

I AM this cheap of a gamer, but I need the money more and I don't need it to be tied up for any length of time.

Plus, I'm pretty sure talking about that sort of thing probably swings into the realm of some sort of return fraud. You're essentially exploiting what could be a loophole in the return policy and if they won't allow 20 reserves/returns and deny you after 1-2, then you're SOL and stuck with a bunch of PO's on a game you probably didn't even WANT.

[quote name='TemplePilot']I've seen a box for Killzone 2. Dunno what's in it though.[/quote]
An exclusive theme.

According to some people in the specific thread about the FEAR2 pre-orders, it comes with Gamers REwardzone points, which accumulate into a gift certificate twice as fast. So, 250 points would be worth $10, not $5.

[quote name='genfuyung']Does best buy have the resistance retribution demo code?[/QUOTE]

I think they have the demo inside the case if that is the PSP game or at least that is what it looked like from my quick glance reading over it when I saw them last week.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I AM this cheap of a gamer, but I need the money more and I don't need it to be tied up for any length of time.

Plus, I'm pretty sure talking about that sort of thing probably swings into the realm of some sort of return fraud. You're essentially exploiting what could be a loophole in the return policy and if they won't allow 20 reserves/returns and deny you after 1-2, then you're SOL and stuck with a bunch of PO's on a game you probably didn't even WANT.[/quote]

I managed to cancel 5 preorders of MGS4 at a time with no issue, they said it was not a problem if you go after the end date printed on the back of the box.

Just make sure you do not wait too long after that end date. A few weeks back I came across a misplaced receipt of mine and tried to cancel my pre-orders from Little Big Planet, Dead Space and Fable 2 that I got in mid October and never picked up and they had trouble with the receipt saying that it was out of date. The manager had to do some override for me to get my money back and they were only able to put it on a gift card.

[quote name='Owen']Just make sure you do not wait too long after that end date. A few weeks back I came across a misplaced receipt of mine and tried to cancel my pre-orders from Little Big Planet, Dead Space and Fable 2 that I got in mid October and never picked up and they had trouble with the receipt saying that it was out of date. The manager had to do some override for me to get my money back and they were only able to put it on a gift card.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is my impression you can wait as long as you want to cancel the preorder at BB. After a certain time period the money would be put on a gift card though (as is what happened in your case). But they should never deny canceling the preorder for you and reimbursing you in some way.

[quote name='Josef']Actually it is my impression you can wait as long as you want to cancel the preorder at BB. After a certain time period the money would be put on a gift card though (as is what happened in your case). But they should never deny canceling the preorder for you and reimbursing you in some way.[/QUOTE]

I just meant it will be more difficult and a bit of a pain as it took them a long time to figure out how to do the return as they said they removed the preorder skus from the system so it was telling them the item was not found when she was trying to type the info in.

[quote name='Owen']I think they have the demo inside the case if that is the PSP game or at least that is what it looked like from my quick glance reading over it when I saw them last week.[/quote]
Its a code but I bought there instead of GS because it comes with a case :p

[quote name='Owen']I just meant it will be more difficult and a bit of a pain as it took them a long time to figure out how to do the return as they said they removed the preorder skus from the system so it was telling them the item was not found when she was trying to type the info in.[/QUOTE]

OK, I just wanted to clarify that even though it may be a pain, BB should never deny you your money back on a preorder that was never picked up.

[quote name='freightliner']do they throw out the pre-orders even if they have something in them like a bottle opener or a CD?[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure what they do with them, but I've seen several dozen pre-order cases disappear from the shelves after the game comes out, so either employees are taking home tons of them, or they make their way to the dumpsters.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I'm not 100% sure what they do with them, but I've seen several dozen pre-order cases disappear from the shelves after the game comes out, so either employees are taking home tons of them, or they make their way to the dumpsters.[/quote]

I work for a company that was recently acquired by Best Buy. We mainly focus on re-selling returned product from stores on ebay and best buys online auction site and we normally get boxes FULL of the preorder stuff from best buy. We normally just end up throwing it all away unless it has some good stuff to which we end up just taking the items home.

I grabbed one of the FEAR2 pre-orders today. Here's what it says on the front cover:

Pre-order and receive 250 rewardzone GAMERS CLUB points!*

Disclaimer: 250 point pre-order offer valid for Reward Zone program memebers only. Bonus points awarded in addition to both standard Reward Zone points and Gamers Bonus Points

None of the fine print on the back seems to be about the RW points. So, it appears that you can get the points for just the pre-order. And, according to the BB website, it's 150 points for a $10 cert. So, it looks like buying three of these will get you $50 in certificates. Not bad for a $15 investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='genfuyung']Any word on whether or not Best Buy is going to take reserves for the collectors edition of street fighter 4?[/QUOTE]

I kind of doubt it. It's going to be a huge game I'm sure but it doesn't have that Fable/Fallout/Call of Duty hype going on with it. About the biggest thing ever in Lich King BB didn't get pre-orders on the CE's and was first come first serve. I'm torn on the 360 CE though since it comes with "Viper" and she doesn't have the thighs of a Chun-Li or Cammy.

[quote name='amusedtoe']I kind of doubt it. It's going to be a huge game I'm sure but it doesn't have that Fable/Fallout/Call of Duty hype going on with it. About the biggest thing ever in Lich King BB didn't get pre-orders on the CE's and was first come first serve. I'm torn on the 360 CE though since it comes with "Viper" and she doesn't have the thighs of a Chun-Li or Cammy.[/quote]

The CE isn't even listed on the site. Hopefully I'll be able to get it from there. :cry:

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I grabbed one of the FEAR2 pre-orders today. Here's what it says on the front cover:

None of the fine print on the back seems to be about the RW points. So, it appears that you can get the points for just the pre-order. And, according to the BB website, it's 150 points for a $10 cert. So, it looks like buying three of these will get you $50 in certificates. Not bad for a $15 investment.[/quote]

Do they link it to your rewardzone account so you can only do it once?

[quote name='genfuyung']Is there a number to call or anything to find out if best buy will carry the CE?[/QUOTE]

I don't really think so. 1-888-Bestbuy maybe but I doubt they'd know anything. I'd say call your local store probably two weeks before release and ask to speak to someone in media who really knows games and odds are at that point they'll probably have some idea. Whether they'll get three or thirty though who knows but I can feel confident each store will get some at least. Considering how many stores were still sitting on Halo Legendary editions and GTAIV CE's going into Christmas and a lot of others it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of stores start getting less of CE's that aren't guaranteed to be gone in a day or two (i.e. WoW).

[quote name='TortillaSoup']Do they link it to your rewardzone account so you can only do it once?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't surprise me.

[quote name='amusedtoe']
Do they link it to your rewardzone account so you can only do it once?
Wouldn't surprise me.[/quote]

You'd think they'd limit it to one per RZ account. Or make you follow through with the FEAR2 purchase. But it's worth a shot.

Whoa, 250 RZ Gamers Club Points is worth $16.67 in RZ Certificates.

If you go through with one preorder, you'll get:

250 Bonus RZ Gamers Club Points FEAR2 Preorder
+ 5 RZ Gamers Club Points FEAR2 Preorder
+ 55 RZ Gamers Club Points FEAR2 Purchase
= 310 RZ Gamers Club Points = $20.66 RZ Certifcate value

On top of that, you'd get the standard RZ points:

5 RZ Points FEAR2 Preorder
+ 55 Points FEAR2 Purchase
= 60 RZ Points = $1.20 RZ Certificate value

Standard RZ points could be more if you're a member of the Premier Silver (25% bonus) or part of the pilot Premier Black (50% bonus, available in some major cities and select areas). And the slim chance that a double or triple point coupons that works on games. Or a possible % or $ off coupon. Anything could make this deal a little better.

That's not too bad if you were going to purchase the game anyway. I'm gonna go through w/ the purchase on my RZ Card while my Premier Black is still in effect (Chicago pilot ends Feb 28th) and then get another preorder box on my gf's card.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']how much do you need to spend for premier black? has anyone tried the FEAR deal?[/quote]
It's premiere silver. And either $1,500 or $2,500.....drawing a blank right now

[quote name='Xfactor19990']how much do you need to spend for premier black? has anyone tried the FEAR deal?[/quote]
[quote name='shadowkast']It's premiere silver. And either $1,500 or $2,500.....drawing a blank right now[/quote]

$2500 for Premier Silver, $7500 for Premier Black in 2008 spending. Premier Black is a pilot for select areas like Chicago, so you may not get the benefits even if you did spend that much in a year. It looks like they did the same pilot with Premier Silver then released it in summer 2008, so expect to see Premier Black by summer. 50% point bonus, 45 day return policy (same as Silver?) and...a freakin concierge? I gotta that one day!

The only reason I'm at this level is because of 1) double and triple point deals and 2) buying business and personal electronics on a regular basis for my family and friends. My aunt bought three 40" Bravias for $1250 a pop plus wall mounting, warranty, etc in Feb 2008. I used a double point coupon on one of those and I got way up there right away.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I picked up one pre-order already. I'll let you guys know when/if the points are debited to my account.[/quote]

Thanks! I didn't have preorder boxes at the store near me so I'm gonna check another. Hopefully it shows up in your points and purchases history as a Purchase and Bonus Points. If it shows up that way, at least we know it probably works as expected.
Does anyone know if bonus Gamer Club points are listed that way in their purchase/point history?

[quote name='typeRJ']$2500 for Premier Silver, $7500 for Premier Black in 2008 spending. Premier Black is a pilot for select areas like Chicago, so you may not get the benefits even if you did spend that much in a year. It looks like they did the same pilot with Premier Silver then released it in summer 2008, so expect to see Premier Black by summer. 50% point bonus, 45 day return policy (same as Silver?) and...a freakin concierge? I gotta that one day!

The only reason I'm at this level is because of 1) double and triple point deals and 2) buying business and personal electronics on a regular basis for my family and friends. My aunt bought three 40" Bravias for $1250 a pop plus wall mounting, warranty, etc in Feb 2008. I used a double point coupon on one of those and I got way up there right away.

Thanks! I didn't have preorder boxes at the store near me so I'm gonna check another. Hopefully it shows up in your points and purchases history as a Purchase and Bonus Points. If it shows up that way, at least we know it probably works as expected.
Does anyone know if bonus Gamer Club points are listed that way in their purchase/point history?[/quote]
i think they lump the points together

Went to BB yesterday and they have Pre-Order cases for both Halo Wars LE and Regular. The box includes the code for the special Warthog paintjob. Not a huge deal, but if you want to guarantee you have a code upon release you can get one now for $5 down instead of waiting for Amazon to send it out or hoping the GS/EB employee remembers to give you a code when you pick up your game. If you end up buying the game somewhere else you can always bring your receipt to the store and get your $5 back.

Also they do throw away the pre-order bonuses after the game releases most of the time if it is just a game case. They did hold onto the RB2 T-shirt packs and they tried to sell the Gears Tank for $9.99 at my local store though.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Went to BB yesterday and they have Pre-Order cases for both Halo Wars LE and Regular. The box includes the code for the special Warthog paintjob. Not a huge deal, but if you want to guarantee you have a code upon release you can get one now for $5 down instead of waiting for Amazon to send it out or hoping the GS/EB employee remembers to give you a code when you pick up your game. If you end up buying the game somewhere else you can always bring your receipt to the store and get your $5 back.

Also they do throw away the pre-order bonuses after the game releases most of the time if it is just a game case. They did hold onto the RB2 T-shirt packs and they tried to sell the Gears Tank for $9.99 at my local store though.[/QUOTE]

I tried scanning the RB2 tshirt the other day and its still scanning for $5.

Ok, the purchase of the pre-order has finally shown up in my account. Under type, it's listed as "earned points" and for description it says "purchase and bonus points." However, it doesn't say the amount of points, ATM, and just says "pending."
I bought the pre-order exactly a month before the game is going to come out, so hopefully the points show up in my account and I can let you all know that it works, before they pull the pre-orders.

EDIT: Durrr, I just noticed a little drop-down arrow next to the entry, and when I click it, it shows "250 pts FEAR 2 game" as being the bonus-point item.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know...$15 for pre-order cases and you get $50 back...so technically spend $15 to make $35 profit :whistle2:k...I guess if I was in the market to pick up FEAR 2 it would be good.

bread's done
Back