Best Buy sending out coupon for Gamers Club Unlocked for $60 for 2 years

I would imagine Best Buy will likely see new subscriptions drop substantially from here on out. $120 is a lot of money to ask folks to drop up-front for the casual customer.

I would imagine Best Buy will likely see new subscriptions drop substantially from here on out. $120 is a lot of money to ask folks to drop up-front for the casual customer.
I agree cause if I didn't get the renewal coupon for 30 I probably wouldn't of renewed but not cause of the price but it seem games and selections are barren anymore in any the best buys I walk into anymore not as many games as there used to be

$120 is for two years, so that makes $60 per year. Considering a savings of 20%, you save $12 on an average $60 new release. You have to buy 5 full-priced $60 new release games a year to even reach a point when you actually start saving money.

If you're someone like me that waits for $30 price points at the most, you'd have to double that, and buy 10 games a year at $30 before you see any benefit of the plan. 

Now I definitely buy at least 10 to 15 new games a year (at $30 or less), but only about half are at Best Buy, so I'd have to force myself to start buying more games at Best Buy before I even hit the break even point.

So yeah, that's gonna be a tough sell to anyone but the folks that buy a new game weekly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's been asked but I'm new to GCU. I went ahead and preordered Titanfall with it being $51 total plus the $10 giftcard, it's a no brainer compared to $64 at gamestop. Even if there's no midnight launch, no big deal as I have to work anyways.

Will I be charged $51 until it ships or is it an initial charge?
i think they put a temp hold for a week or two, was even better for the collectors edition -$50 plus pre order and double reward zone points :)

i dont think at $120 i would have ever signed up and even at $60 i wasnt sure but boy was i wrong.

ac4 ce $43

ps4 controller, knack and kz4 for $72

titanfall ce $180ish

fable anniversary $31

i more than covered my $60 GCU, for me bestbuy is the hottest spot right now if you got the 2 years for $30/$60 imho.

Hey please listen. If you have an email coupon please try to print it out. The email clearly states it expires on the 10th. I was gonna print it out and see if they will honor it anyways. I printed it out and the expiration date changed from the 10th to April 15th. See if it will work for you guys. Remember just go to the email version on the coupon and click to web version on the coupon and then do a print preview and print it out. My dage changed on it. Let me know if anyone else have the same success.

i think they put a temp hold for a week or two, was even better for the collectors edition -$50 plus pre order and double reward zone points :)

i dont think at $120 i would have ever signed up and even at $60 i wasnt sure but boy was i wrong.
ac4 ce $43
ps4 controller, knack and kz4 for $72
titanfall ce $180ish
fable anniversary $31

i more than covered my $60 GCU, for me bestbuy is the hottest spot right now if you got the 2 years for $30/$60 imho.
You're also one of those crazy people that bought a Collector's Edition of a game that costs half the price of the console.

Hey please listen. If you have an email coupon please try to print it out. The email clearly states it expires on the 10th. I was gonna print it out and see if they will honor it anyways. I printed it out and the expiration date changed from the 10th to April 15th. See if it will work for you guys. Remember just go to the email version on the coupon and click to web version on the coupon and then do a print preview and print it out. My dage changed on it. Let me know if anyone else have the same success.
I had the same thing happen, new 4/15 date, possibly a tax return promotion?

$120 is for two years, so that makes $60 per year. Considering a savings of 20%, you save $12 on an average $60 new release. You have to buy 5 full-priced $60 new release games a year to even reach a point when you actually start saving money.

If you're someone like me that waits for $30 price points at the most, you'd have to double that, and buy 10 games a year at $30 before you see any benefit of the plan.

Now I definitely buy at least 10 to 15 new games a year (at $30 or less), but only about half are at Best Buy, so I'd have to force myself to start buying more games at Best Buy before I even hit the break even point.

So yeah, that's gonna be a tough sell to anyone but the folks that buy a new game weekly.
This math only adds up if you ONLY use Best Buy. The logic here is bad unless you buy only X games total and all at BBY. Now if you buy games elsewhere then you're looking at buying 2 or 3 or 4 or more times as many games per year to break even. I have a Target Red Card and get 5% off everything I buy with it. If a game is $60 and I'm buying full price, instead of saving 20% with gamers club unlocked, I'd be saving only 15% because I could have 5% off even without paying them their fee. Not to mention I'm a pharmacy rewards member and get another 5% off with that and this month they have an online coupon code for $5 off a $50 purchase. That means I can save $11 on a new $60 game at Target vs $12 savings at BBY that I have to pay them $60 a year to get! Not a great deal. I'd have to buy 60 games at full price to break even, not 5.

This is why I call this "suckers club unlocked". You're getting a deal and comparing it to MSRP and not comparing it to the price you could get elsewhere. You aren't saving $12. You're saving the difference between what you paid and the next lowest price (which is the price you would have paid had you not been a member of this program).

That would make it worth it I"m sure but while I've heard a lot of people talking about this coupon, I've never seen it. Is it a unique code that they're only mailing to their high rollers or something?
I have spent tons of money at BB and actually have as of right not over 2,600 points in my account for points. I never received the coupon until I called and got it on the 10th but the store was closed. I was pissed. Like I said earlier I printed it out earlier to see if they would honor it and the date chaged to 4/15. Gonna redeem it next week but it is totally worth it for that price.

That would make it worth it I"m sure but while I've heard a lot of people talking about this coupon, I've never seen it. Is it a unique code that they're only mailing to their high rollers or something?
That was the first round of coupons sent out to existing gcu members when the program was revamped. Thats the one I used myself.

the coupons you get when you sign up for unlocked also got new expiration dates, mine used to expire the end of February, but i loaded them back up today to print and they now expire the last day of March.

You're also one of those crazy people that bought a Collector's Edition of a game that costs half the price of the console.
crazy cause its not something you would do lol sorry im not poor nor a cheap ass. i buy what i want when i want it, titanfall is a amazing game and i like statues. saving $50 off retail, $10 for pre ordering, another $10 for double reward points yup dont know what im thinking lol.

... im not poor nor a cheap ass....
st6ej.jpg

This is why I call this "suckers club unlocked". You're getting a deal and comparing it to MSRP and not comparing it to the price you could get elsewhere. You aren't saving $12. You're saving the difference between what you paid and the next lowest price (which is the price you would have paid had you not been a member of this program).
Yeah, it's not like Best Buy has been absolutely killing it lately with deals. And then everyone in the "suckers club unlocked" is getting an additional 20% on top of that or anything.

Oh wait, yes they have.

U mad bro?

I tried calling to see if they could get a new 2 year membership for $30. No dice. Elite Plus doesn't mean shit.

Then I've yet to receive this coupon.

crazy cause its not something you would do lol sorry im not poor nor a cheap ass. i buy what i want when i want it, titanfall is a amazing game and i like statues. saving $50 off retail, $10 for pre ordering, another $10 for double reward points yup dont know what im thinking lol.
Wait....so you're not a cheap ass....

..but you're on CheapAssGamer AND defending saving $50 off retail...?

Yeah, it's not like Best Buy has been absolutely killing it lately with deals. And then everyone in the "suckers club unlocked" is getting an additional 20% on top of that or anything.

Oh wait, yes they have.

U mad bro?
i agre best buy have best deal of year so far this guy is jelous becus he can only aford games from goodwill

This math only adds up if you ONLY use Best Buy. The logic here is bad unless you buy only X games total and all at BBY. Now if you buy games elsewhere then you're looking at buying 2 or 3 or 4 or more times as many games per year to break even. I have a Target Red Card and get 5% off everything I buy with it. If a game is $60 and I'm buying full price, instead of saving 20% with gamers club unlocked, I'd be saving only 15% because I could have 5% off even without paying them their fee. Not to mention I'm a pharmacy rewards member and get another 5% off with that and this month they have an online coupon code for $5 off a $50 purchase. That means I can save $11 on a new $60 game at Target vs $12 savings at BBY that I have to pay them $60 a year to get! Not a great deal. I'd have to buy 60 games at full price to break even, not 5.

I'm not going to pick this apart like I could, but just to mention you also get double points at Best Buy, as well as $10 in points for preordering most of the popular titles. So, if you got a new release...lets say Titanfall...you're paying $47.99. Plus you're getting $10 back in reward zone points. Plus you're getting 94 points (almost half of another $5). Plus it counts towards elite/plus.

Not even counting this new release logic. show me where Target has came close to ANY of Best Buys deals over the past month.

If you have to do all that work and stack 7 different promos that may or may not expire every time you want to ALMOST get the same price as Best Buy, you're doing it way wrong.

Wait....so you're not a cheap ass....

..but you're on CheapAssGamer AND defending saving $50 off retail...?
i have no problem spending, i want the best deals and bestbuy with GCU is killing it. its $70 off retail for a collectors edition on launch. you got me i should have said he was a broke ass is that better?

I'm not going to pick this apart like I could, but just to mention you also get double points at Best Buy, as well as $10 in points for preordering most of the popular titles. So, if you got a new release...lets say Titanfall...you're paying $47.99. Plus you're getting $10 back in reward zone points. Plus you're getting 94 points (almost half of another $5). Plus it counts towards elite/plus.

Not even counting this new release logic. show me where Target has came close to ANY of Best Buys deals over the past month.

If you have to do all that work and stack 7 different promos that may or may not expire every time you want to ALMOST get the same price as Best Buy, you're doing it way wrong.
points are doubled with GCU but i agree with you.

i like knowing any new game at launch im getting a deal that i dont have to make multipul trips or send emails to a rep who then forwards them to the heads who decide if i will get a gift card. everytime so far GCU has been smooth no issues.

Those of you who let your friends use your discount. Have you let more than 1 friend use it in different states as well?

bread's done
Back