Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just seemed like a good time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP WILL NOT BE ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS - THIS IS PRIMARILY AN FAQ.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Flip discussion is allowed on CAG, but begging for list of games to flip is not only obnoxious but doesn't help the community in any way; don't be surprised if some users are only interested in trading information with other users who regularly contribute to the thread.

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160. 

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership (should being the key word). The program has undergone some serious changes in the last couple of months. The program now cost $120  for two years and comes with a subscription of @Gamer magazine until May 2014 (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins, 20% off new games and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your My Best Buy membership. Current GCU members have been upgraded to the new program for no extra charge and should have received a coupon to extend their membership for an additional 2 years at a cost of $30 ($15 a year). Members who had their subscription run out within a couple months of November 2013 will also get this coupon. 

I can't find the pamphlet or barcode to sign up for GCU!

Employees by and large seem ignorant of the program and probably won't be much help so here is what you need to do. There may be pamphlets around various areas of the store and if you can not find that try the touch kiosk. 

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

For a full break down of when and how to help make sure your 10% was applied look in the spoiler.

How to get your 10% bonus

For some reason this is incredibly difficult for employees to get right. Following this process should work, but there is no accounting for the occasional very-bad-at-their-job employee.  

The 10% requires that they add your member information at a very specific point. The best way to describe it is that it must be entered along with your games, as it is on the same page. So immediately after they enter your games, but before navigating to the next page on their computer, the Best Buy employee has to enter your information, typically using your phone number, to find your account. It is on the same page as all of the games and if they are asking for your ID it is too late!  The big problem is that the next page also looking up your member information, but in a brilliant move of programming on Best Buy's part, it will not apply the membership bonus at this stage. An easy way to see if the bonus has been applied is to ask for the trade in total at this point as well, as the 10% (and any other bonuses) would already be applied; so if the numbers are off you know they need to go back a page and enter the information. Otherwise, that being done, it should work just fine.

Things to know/help you make sure the bonus is applied:

• Always know your trade total, including bonuses, before going in. This will help you catch issues.
  • Hold onto your ID until they ask for it, that way you know that they are on that page. Before handing them the ID is a great time to ask them what the total was if they haven't already told you because you can still catch the issue now. 
  • Be polite and helpful. Try to not get frustrated if they didn't enter the information at first, and politely mention that last time you had this issue the employee had to go back a page. In the event the issue isn't being resolved it never hurts to ask if maybe someone from gaming could help.  MOST employees will be friendly and work with you. 
  • Lastly, be persistent. Some employees will take it personally when you try to help, some will just be difficult because lets face it, retail jobs suck and you're probably the 900th person to ask them for something today. Giving up though not only makes you lose out on the 10% bonus, and the Reward Zone points (as well as credit towards your Elite Plus status), all it does is make sure the employee doesn't know what they are doing for the next customer either.  You paid for the bonus, make sure you get it. 

Do we get MyBestBuy (Reward Zone) points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as). Again, the item MUST BE RECEIVED within 14 days. It is not enough to simply ship it within the 14 day time period (like Amazon). Be mindful of this if you are trying to trade in a game that you are waiting to ship/arrive from an online store. If you miss the receiving deadline and then complain about it in the thread you will probably be made fun of. You have been warned.

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No. Online and in-store are completely separate in every way but their base trade in values.

Do I get the XX% bonus or my 10% GCU bonus when trading online?

No. All bonuses, including GCU member bonus only work in-store.  The value listed on the website is the value you will receive, nothing more.

How do I get my giftcard for online trades?

Online trades will receive a E-Giftcard.  E-Giftcards can be printed and used in store, you can also go in store and ask a cashier to "transfer" it to a real giftcard, i.e. buy a real giftcard with the E-Giftcard funds if you wish. Apparently the online system states they will mail a giftcard but this is not accurate. 

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy recently changed their policy on this then changed it back. You can trade up to 3 copies of a title per platform. The system will not automatically stop you from trading in more than 3 copies of a game, some have done so frequently without issue but many others have been banned for trading over the limit in the past so it is not recommended if you wish to keep Best Buy as a trade in option in the future. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk. If you regularly re-buy games at lower prices and trade in a lot it may be wise to keep track of all that you trade in.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF? 
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, their system considers a BB visa just like a giftcard so there`s no double dip there. Use this basic formula(changes based upon the total credit amount you have)

1-Take $1030 in BB gc`s buy 5 $200 visa`s for $1029.75
1A-You pay $29.75 in fees but earn $20 base in rz($25 Elite Plus)
2-Buy a $1000 walmart gc
3-Use the $1000 walmart gc to buy 2 $500 walmart prepaid visa`s, 2 seperate transactions make sure the visa`s are barcode load not swipe load.
3A- You pay $9.90 in fees but if you spend the $1000 on games that`s $40 in rz($45 Elite Plus)
$39.65 in fees vs $60($70 Elite Plus) in rz pts

If a person doesn`t have GCU and/or Elite Plus similar formula can be done to get both & the rz pts will FULLY PAY OFF 2 yrs of GCU. And if you do have GCU and/or Elite Plus but don`t have a PS4 or XB1 then take the $120 or $140 & buy a new PS4 for $260 or $280 or XB1 for $360 or $380. Neither system will be cheaper on Black Friday.
I can't thank you Enuf. But srsly thanks I have fallen in love with RZ points lately. Made about $80 in certs in like 2 weeks and hope to have enough for the Mario Kart Wii U Bundle by the end of this month

Why flip it to a Walmart Giftcard?   Can't you buy a Visa Prepay at walmart with a Visa card from Bestbuy?   I can see how it could conflict but I'd imagine using a giftcard would be harder to do.

I can't thank you Enuf. But srsly thanks I have fallen in love with RZ points lately. Made about $80 in certs in like 2 weeks and hope to have enough for the Mario Kart Wii U Bundle by the end of this month
Not a prob happy to help, do you know how to complete the walmart gc to walmart visa w/o issues?

I got 16 pm`s between CAG & BB forums of people wanting to get a free $120 sub, easy Elite Plus & $260 PS4/$360 XB1. Several people hesitated during the 5x RZ promo & are kicking themselves for not doing it since they did the math & either system would`ve at least half off if not more.
With what the rz pts do to the tax there`s no reason not too.

see why you never pay for rewards programs so far in advance

they have your up front money and they come out ahead if you don't get all your games from there
Honestly, as I said, it's not that big of a deal since Amazon will usually price match it so I buy more from them after the 3 limit.

That and I only paid $20 for 2 years. Any money lost is bad but I don't plan on being banned and will utilized all the benefits of the program. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't want more from the program beyond what was said. Programs like this change all the time (for good for bad). Sitting down saying nothing doesn't really help it but nor does complaining that it sucks or something along those lines.

Why flip it to a Walmart Giftcard? Can't you buy a Visa Prepay at walmart with a Visa card from Bestbuy? I can see how it could conflict but I'd imagine using a giftcard would be harder to do.
The walmart gc route is simple b/c by the time the cashier needs to know you`re paying for the visa using the gc the their screen is actually telling them to "scan store value card" aka giftcard. They can`t proceed or exit out at all until the gc is scanned without complete system reboot so they just follow directions & the pc does the rest. It`s as idiot proof a transaction as one can expect at walmart. I`m also not 100% sure the system will allow you to do muliple BB visa`s to walmart visa either and if something goes wrong I can`t talk a person thru the transaction.

The main issue for me is that I`m always moving larger than $200. Wth BB not having $500 load limit cards that means you`re swiping 3 BB visa`s per transaction. I can buy & load using the visa`s onto the same walmart gc at any register in under 2 minutes especially where they sell keys/fishing bait & get the $500 cards at the front registers in 1 swipe under 3 minutes. Having a single $2,500 walmart gc is ok with me & I can simply load it to 5 $500 visa`s in 1 15-20 minute walmart grocery trip.

I know alot of people worried excessively about keep track of 10-20 $200 cards so this works to cut the clutter. If BB offered $500 load limit cards like suggested here it would become even easier plus the high fee BB charges would be better
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/500-load-limits-on-the-BestBuy-Pre-paid-visa-s/idi-p/763707

Previously, another CAG stated the Walmart Amex route but I`ve never done it before.

Yeah, their system considers a BB visa just like a giftcard so there`s no double dip there. Use this basic formula(changes based upon the total credit amount you have)

1-Take $1030 in BB gc`s buy 5 $200 visa`s for $1029.75
1A-You pay $29.75 in fees but earn $20 base in rz($25 Elite Plus)
2-Buy a $1000 walmart gc
3-Use the $1000 walmart gc to buy 2 $500 walmart prepaid visa`s, 2 seperate transactions make sure the visa`s are barcode load not swipe load.
3A- You pay $9.90 in fees but if you spend the $1000 on games that`s $40 in rz($45 Elite Plus)
$39.65 in fees vs $60($70 Elite Plus) in rz pts

If a person doesn`t have GCU and/or Elite Plus similar formula can be done to get both & the rz pts will FULLY PAY OFF 2 yrs of GCU. And if you do have GCU and/or Elite Plus but don`t have a PS4 or XB1 then take the $120 or $140 & buy a new PS4 for $260 or $280 or XB1 for $360 or $380. Neither system will be cheaper on Black Friday.
...or just load those BB Visas to a Bluebird AMEX.

...or just load those BB Visas to a Bluebird AMEX.
The only reason I didn`t suggest it is b/c I`ve never done it before myself so I don`t wanna promote something to another CAG w/o 1st being pretty good at doing it myself 1st that`s all. Especially if they could end up stuck with $500-$1000 in a walmart gc that they don`t want.

I`ve done it the visa way over a 100 times so it`s kinda a practice what a I preach thing.

The only reason I didn`t suggest it is b/c I`ve never done it before myself so I don`t wanna promote something to another CAG w/o 1st being pretty good at doing it myself 1st that`s all. Especially if they could end up stuck with $500-$1000 in a walmart gc that they don`t want.

I`ve done it the visa way over a 100 times so it`s kinda a practice what a I preach thing.
Gotcha. That's too much work and extra fees. No Walmart GCs involved in my method. You load the BB Visas directly on to the Bluebird AMEX via kiosk or register at WM. Use your Bluebird AMEX anywhere you like or use the balance to pay bills directly. I wish I would have been on to this (was it even available?) back when I had over $5000 in BB Visas. I "cashed out" over half of those on Square. Ouch!

Gotcha. That's too much work and extra fees. No Walmart GCs involved in my method. You load the BB Visas directly on to the Bluebird AMEX via kiosk or register at WM. Use your Bluebird AMEX anywhere you like or use the balance to pay bills directly. I wish I would have been on to this (was it even available?) back when I had over $5000 in BB Visas. I "cashed out" over half of those on Square. Ouch!
At 1st the fees scared me too but you gotta pay them to get outta BB no matter being elite plus just means I just about break even on ever $1,000 earning pts on the fee is nice too I just made sure the math always worked so I always earned more pts than I spent in fees.

The kiosk is in walmart? You`re way will save me $9.90 per $1,000 & I`ll earn at least $40 pure profit on that money back at BB. Have you had any issues with stores that don`t accept AMEX? I remember being in some stores that didn`t accept AMEX/Discover & the cashier`s face was like the person was tryin to buy a $1 chesseburger with a $1million bill or gold bar or something.

I may not 100% understand what is done in your method, but it sounds like a lot of activity on a BBAmex. Aren't those accounts locked down instantly when so much activity goes through them? Aren't there monthly limits on what you can do with a BBAmex?

At 1st the fees scared me too but you gotta pay them to get outta BB no matter being elite plus just means I just about break even on ever $1,000 earning pts on the fee is nice too I just made sure the math always worked so I always earned more pts than I spent in fees.

The kiosk is in walmart? You`re way will save me $9.90 per $1,000 & I`ll earn at least $40 pure profit on that money back at BB. Have you had any issues with stores that don`t accept AMEX? I remember being in some stores that didn`t accept AMEX/Discover & the cashier`s face was like the person was tryin to buy a $1 chesseburger with a $1million bill or gold bar or something.
It's the Moneycenter at WM. If it is down or they don't have one, any cashier at WM can load for you.

I may not 100% understand what is done in your method, but it sounds like a lot of activity on a BBAmex. Aren't those accounts locked down instantly when so much activity goes through them? Aren't there monthly limits on what you can do with a BBAmex?
Haven't had any issues. Yes. monthly limits, but we have multiples accounts.

Quick question? If you buy more than 3 copies of a game once if you are unlocked across 2 platforms, how long does it take to ban you? I did too many TR:DE on 3/22 and if I'm going to get banned I want to cash out my BB points for certs :(

Quick question? If you buy more than 3 copies of a game once if you are unlocked across 2 platforms, how long does it take to ban you? I did too many TR:DE on 3/22 and if I'm going to get banned I want to cash out my BB points for certs :(
So far, no one has reported being banned for going over the limit, but that doesn't mean it won't suddenly happen within the next few months, similarly to how people who traded more than the official limit were banned months later.

Question: Has anyone here had success mailing in a trade-in that's named "No Sign" in the Trade-in Estimator? The SKU matches on Bestbuy.com and the UPC brings up the correct game, but I'm hoping the grader doesn't outright reject the game if it isn't literally named "No Sign".

Wasn't the xbox one supposed to drop to $450?  I was going to do the trade in of my 360 for the deal thats going on where they will give you $100 for a console trade-in towards a purchase of a xbox one.  On BB's website it's still listed at $500 and the the deal doesn't seem as good anymore if the price only drops to $400.

Wasn't the xbox one supposed to drop to $450? I was going to do the trade in of my 360 for the deal thats going on where they will give you $100 for a console trade-in towards a purchase of a xbox one. On BB's website it's still listed at $500 and the the deal doesn't seem as good anymore if the price only drops to $400.
It looks like that was a temporary price drop.

I thought that 3 copy limit accross all platforms idea was scraped?

Not for buying games as a GCU member. You might be thinking of the 1-copy-per-person trade-in limit that BBY scrapped earlier this year.
yeah that was what i was thinking of. Though I don't recall the 3 copy limit being accross all platforms; I do know however that various editions counted towards the limit.

Did the 3 copy purchase limit accross all platforms start this year?

yeah that was what i was thinking of. Though I don't recall the 3 copy limit being accross all platforms; I do know however that various editions counted towards the limit.

Did the 3 copy purchase limit accross all platforms start this year?
AFAIK, that limit's been there since GCU started.

Well my store finally said no more visa purchases with gc's. Glad it lasted as long as it did for me. Guess it Amazon cards or sell the BB gc's for cheaper.

Is it time for me to trade in Madden 25 now or wait till the new weekly ad comes out to see if I can get more. I got it for $30 new anyways, so not much of a loss at $26 in credit. I just want to get the most $ towards MLB 14 the Show. 

[quote name="nviz" post="11732286" timestamp="1399081051"]Is it time for me to trade in Madden 25 now or wait till the new weekly ad comes out to see if I can get more. I got it for $30 new anyways, so not much of a loss at $26 in credit. I just want to get the most $ towards MLB 14 the Show. [/quote]

Also trying to figure out how to maximize profit on that game.. I held onto it a little too long.. I have the xb1 version so it fetches less trade in :(

Wasn't the xbox one supposed to drop to $450? I was going to do the trade in of my 360 for the deal thats going on where they will give you $100 for a console trade-in towards a purchase of a xbox one. On BB's website it's still listed at $500 and the the deal doesn't seem as good anymore if the price only drops to $400.
MSRP is still $500. The drop may happen at E3.

So, I finally ran into a CS idiot who couldn't figure out how to enter my phone number and link to my MyBestBuy account. A good two year run of competent people before this, though.

Anyway, she couldn't figure out how to void the transaction and redo it right, so she asked the manager to issue a GC to make up for the missing 10% bonus.

How do you guys handle this? Getting the reward zone points would be nice, but I really want the credit towards elite / elite plus. Can the phone service people even do anything to fix that?

So, I finally ran into a CS idiot who couldn't figure out how to enter my phone number and link to my MyBestBuy account. A good two year run of competent people before this, though.
Anyway, she couldn't figure out how to void the transaction and redo it right, so she asked the manager to issue a GC to make up for the missing 10% bonus.
How do you guys handle this? Getting the reward zone points would be nice, but I really want the credit towards elite / elite plus. Can the phone service people even do anything to fix that?
Never sign the paper until you confirm the total that way you never need to cancel the trade. They have to keep putting in your phone # 2-3 times to get the 10% to add correctly sometimes. Make a post on the forums to get it adjusted on your mybb account.

I make a habit of knowing the exact amount of what my trade total will be including the 10% that way near then end I can say "so I`m getting ___ amount back correct?" If they don`t confirm the right amount I know they screwed something up. Most reps overall though get it done right once asked.

Never sign the paper until you confirm the total that way you never need to cancel the trade. They have to keep putting in your phone # 2-3 times to get the 10% to add correctly sometimes. Make a post on the forums to get it adjusted on your mybb account.

I make a habit of knowing the exact amount of what my trade total will be including the 10% that way near then end I can say "so I`m getting ___ amount back correct?" If they don`t confirm the right amount I know they screwed something up. Most reps overall though get it done right once asked.
My habit is to tell them the full trade in value up front, something like, "This should all add to $34.10 if we get it all right." Has worked very well as not only do I remind them a couple of times about the GCU but I also put an exact dollar amount out there that they tend to notice if it wrong.

It was close to close, the girl was frustrated and confused, and she'd already screwed it up after I clearly told her that I should get a bonus and when the final total should be.

Bottom line -- am I screeners because I took pity on her (and me!) and finished the transaction. Or is it worth calling CS?

My habit is to tell them the full trade in value up front, something like, "This should all add to $34.10 if we get it all right." Has worked very well as not only do I remind them a couple of times about the GCU but I also put an exact dollar amount out there that they tend to notice if it wrong.
This is actually a really good idea--I'll have to start doing it from now on. Thanks.

[quote name="mottaman" post="11733013" timestamp="1399124550"]omg, its almost like every other night since the program started![/quote]

I guess I just expect the values to hold through the week but that's obviously not the case.

Anyone aware of a way to convert best buy credit and reward zone to apple credit or a way to buy via the apple store?  I almost have enough between bb credit and reward zone points to buy a mac book pro but in order to get a discount on the laptop I have to check out via the apple store (Brother works for them and gets a nice discount)  Itunes credit does not work on the apple store so that is out.  I don't think the best buy prepaid master card works with reward zone points so I was kind of stumped. 

Anyone aware of a way to convert best buy credit and reward zone to apple credit or a way to buy via the apple store? I almost have enough between bb credit and reward zone points to buy a mac book pro but in order to get a discount on the laptop I have to check out via the apple store (Brother works for them and gets a nice discount) Itunes credit does not work on the apple store so that is out. I don't think the best buy prepaid master card works with reward zone points so I was kind of stumped.

I'm not sure of a way to convert RZ points anymore. Used to be when you bought something with RZ and returned they'd give your money back on a gift card. Lately they have been just adjusting the points back to the account.

Gift cards should work on the Mastercard though unless you get a hard ass cashier that denies you.

Anyone aware of a way to convert best buy credit and reward zone to apple credit or a way to buy via the apple store? I almost have enough between bb credit and reward zone points to buy a mac book pro but in order to get a discount on the laptop I have to check out via the apple store (Brother works for them and gets a nice discount) Itunes credit does not work on the apple store so that is out. I don't think the best buy prepaid master card works with reward zone points so I was kind of stumped.
Turning points into credit isn't easy. The only really easy way would be to use it to buy games that you can then trade in (like right now, buy two copies of Titanfall for $65 (b1g1 50% ends today). If you use certificates to buy those you can then turn around and trade them in for $38.50 each ($77 total). All GCU assumed. This is really the only way to turn RZ credit into a gift card, though if you just wanted to buy amazon credit or whatever you should be able to with a certificate... right?

[quote name="Flash15" post="11733753" timestamp="1399158215"]Anyone ever make a purchase with a bunch of gift cards and have a manager come over to verify them and where they were originated from?[/quote]

I've prob only used two max at one time..

I have $8 in store credit tied to Best Buy. Is there any prepaid debit card like items they sell so I can take $ elsewhere to Gamestop? They're offering 30% extra on Madden 25 and I can get $32 for it towards MLB 14 the Show. 

Anyone ever make a purchase with a bunch of gift cards and have a manager come over to verify them and where they were originated from?
No, but I once had a store's gaming person send out a memo to all the stores in the district about me because I "use large value giftcards and @Gamer coupons"

I have $8 in store credit tied to Best Buy. Is there any prepaid debit card like items they sell so I can take $ elsewhere to Gamestop? They're offering 30% extra on Madden 25 and I can get $32 for it towards MLB 14 the Show.
Nothing that's worth getting just to transfer $8... once you pay the credit card fee...

Has anyone had luck buying Kindle cards with RZ certificates? I got shot down but I thought others had luck doing this.
Far as I know, it should work, the employee was probably thinking along the lines of how you can use RZ certificates for Best Buy gift cards and applying that rule to all possible cards.

Anyone ever make a purchase with a bunch of gift cards and have a manager come over to verify them and where they were originated from?
What? Really? That'd piss me off to no end, well the way you wrote that (that they were sort of refusing your purchase at first and were suspicious because you had multiple gift cards - there is a limit to the amount of credit cards they can use in a single transaction so that could have been why a manager came over). They can't verify them anyway, so no idea what brilliant thought the manager had (or the employee). I mean it is possible they've had some issues at that store lately (though not sure off hand what it would be), but still. Personally, I'd post about that on the forums.

Not surprising. Some stores have a problem with people using stolen credit cards to buy lots of small gift cards that they use to buy a single large item to resell. They eat a ton of charge backs and lose stock. Since the chargebacks all get a fee/penalty, it's actually even worse for the store than the fraudulent purchase of the item in a single transaction.

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind it, I just feel it extremely awkward. Was making a large purchase so used a bunch of gift cards I saved from trades from both in-store and online. Never encountered that before.

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind it, I just feel it extremely awkward. Was making a large purchase so used a bunch of gift cards I saved from trades from both in-store and online. Never encountered that before.
I would combine mine once I had above 3 so I wouldn't get any funny looks.. The other day I combined like 5 of them into 1 then a couple weeks later, yesterday, I traded in something and got another gift card and combined the 2 with the same cs girl. Of course, she didn't ask me my phone number for the combination transactions, already got my points for the first combination for reporting missing points.. Awaiting the second one.

bread's done
Back