Best Buy Trade-in Thread 2.0: Please see new thread.

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:
- 50% Bonus when you trade in ANY game.
Get a 50% trade in bonus when you trade in ANY game. Offer valid 01/01/12 - 01/07/12

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored Promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
None at the moment

Previous Promotions:
Promos that have expired:
- 50% Bonus with specific Pre-order from list.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game from the following list: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, MLB 12 The Show, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Twisted Metal, Max Payne 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Diablo 3. Offer valid 12/25/11 - 12/31/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11
- 40% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/10/11

- 50% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/03/11

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 10/5/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 40% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 50% Bonus with Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/Purchase Modern Warfare 3. Offer valid 10/10/11 - 11/12/11 (Assuming this means a bonus for purchasing the game after it is released this Tuesday)

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 40% Bonus with The Elder Scrolls V: Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Max Payne 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Max Payne 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11 - This promo seems a little odd and there is a chance it is an error on the site since the game is so far from release.

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Skyrim Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Uncharted 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Uncharted 3. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you purchase Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.

Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/22/11

- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/16/11 - 10/22/11

- 50% Bonus with Batman: Arkham City Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/15/11

- 30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get a 30% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11

- Trade 4 get an extra $20 Trade-in Credit.
Get $20 trade-in Credit when you trade 4 or more games (Current gen games only (no PS2) and $5 minimum for each game). Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11 **** This promo was cancelled early due to technical issues. There have been issues with this promo not working on some stores' systems or simply not even being available, the issue seems to be related to disc-only games (or any game that is typed rather than scanned) so plan accordingly. The $20 extra is once per trade-in, meaning 4 games or 123 games it will only be $20 extra per transaction. So if you want to trade in 8 games, do it in two separate transactions. ****

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer was valid from 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expired 10/01/2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracks on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to add to this magical OP(which I still can't find) everyone keeps refering to is, in the fine print of the trade agreement it says you can buy back your games at cost with in 30 days of said trade. On another note, Trollers gonna troll.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I believe it was 450 points. It expired on the 30th if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]
Too bad I missed that one. I have 795 RB points right now.
[quote name='juden66']Another thing to add to this magical OP(which I still can't find) everyone keeps refering to is, in the fine print of the trade agreement it says you can buy back your games at cost with in 30 days of said trade. On another note, Trollers gonna troll.[/QUOTE]
Come on man. OP means Original Post i.e. the first post in the thread.

[quote name='juden66']Another thing to add to this magical OP(which I still can't find) everyone keeps refering to is, in the fine print of the trade agreement it says you can buy back your games at cost with in 30 days of said trade. On another note, Trollers gonna troll.[/QUOTE]

OP - original post, as in 'the very first post'

Sep 2009 join date on this forum and you still have not mastered the basic forum vernacular?

please read my op completely sirs.

So I traded in 4 games today that should have been eligible for the extra $20, but I didn't get it. Was in a hurry with family waiting in the car & the whole process taking way too long to I didn't notice until I got home. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Sucks day, both best buy I went don't have the new promotion for 4 for $20. Anything $5 and over should be qualified, right? And also, I just got informed that they're gonna start tracking all the trade ins. They're going to put on hold on every gift issued with the preorder promotion. e.g. not picking up the preorder, returning the preorder or cancelling the preorder. He also told me that they're going to send a letter to whoever violates their term.

I tried as well to trade in 4 games today, but my cashier did not get the option in his menu. I saw the extra 25% with two or more games & the Rage/NBA bump, but nothing else. They even tried two other games off the shelf as they wanted to make sure it wasn't the fact of two games being exactly $5.

They said that they will sort this out by Tuesday when I pick up Rage. Hopefully the trade values will not take a dump until then.......

[quote name='coolrust']Sucks day, both best buy I went don't have the new promotion for 4 for $20. Anything $5 and over should be qualified, right? And also, I just got informed that they're gonna start tracking all the trade ins. They're going to put on hold on every gift issued with the preorder promotion. e.g. not picking up the preorder, returning the preorder or cancelling the preorder. He also told me that they're going to send a letter to whoever violates their term.[/QUOTE]

Source? Doesn't sound believable. At all.

not so great trade experience today. i was trading in to get the "trade 4 and get $20 extra credit" and it didn't work out so great. so one of the more knowledgeable employees worked it out. so she gave me the 25% bonus with the trade then gave me another gift card with $15 on it to cover the rest. now im curious to why the trade in promo wasn't working. btw traded in:

Bayonetta - 6
Rock Band 3 -7
Mirror's Edge - 5
f.e.a.r 2 - 5

total came out to 43.00 after bonuses.

[quote name='coolrust']Sucks day, both best buy I went don't have the new promotion for 4 for $20. Anything $5 and over should be qualified, right? And also, I just got informed that they're gonna start tracking all the trade ins. They're going to put on hold on every gift issued with the preorder promotion. e.g. not picking up the preorder, returning the preorder or cancelling the preorder. He also told me that they're going to send a letter to whoever violates their term.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "put a hold on every gift issued with the preorder promotion"? You say not picking up the preorder, or canceling it. I usually spend my giftcard well before the game I preordered come out. I usually don't even pick up my preorders. I just leave the $5 down as a cost of gaining so much. Please explain better... Thanks

[quote name='Birbo']So I traded in 4 games today that should have been eligible for the extra $20, but I didn't get it. Was in a hurry with family waiting in the car & the whole process taking way too long to I didn't notice until I got home. Is there anything I can do at this point?[/QUOTE]

did they give you a receipt? i have not traded into best buy instore but will tomorrow. I would bet if they gave you a receipt you could just go in and ask. since you can buy back you games for the same price you got you could always buy them back and retrade them in as long as values have not dropped enough if they refuse to give you the $20 :)

my thoughts for tomorrow are:
mass effect
sonic all stars
modern warfare 2
halo reach
+
black ops
mvc 3
lego star wars complete saga
dragon age ultimate (or halo 3 if I can get away with it)

I know I might get more later if there is a 50% promo but would rather just take the money and run.

That'd be surprising - allowing you to use the gift card right away while you're in the store encourages spending. Making you wait some random amount of time discourages impulse spending. I think Best Buy prefers that you spend.

Regardless, makes me want to actually read that thing they make you sign when you trade-in to see if the terms and conditions have changed since last time.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Source? Doesn't sound believable. At all.[/QUOTE]
They received a memo on their trade in computer and he even showed me. It also shows that anything below $2 trade in for 4 for $20 would be excluded and ps2 games are excluded. The reason that he show me the memo because he's having a trouble looking for the 4 for $20 deal.

[quote name='kingwormer']What do you mean "put a hold on every gift issued with the preorder promotion"? You say not picking up the preorder, or canceling it. I usually spend my giftcard well before the game I preordered come out. I usually don't even pick up my preorders. I just leave the $5 down as a cost of gaining so much. Please explain better... Thanks[/QUOTE]
The way he told is the "corporate will start sending letter to who ever violates their terms". That all he said to me.

[quote name='coolrust']They received a memo on their trade in computer and he even showed me. It also shows that anything below $2 trade in for 4 for $20 would be excluded and ps2 games are excluded. The reason that he show me the memo because he's having a trouble looking for the 4 for $20 deal.[/QUOTE]

Anything below $2? It's common knowledge that anything below $5 is excluded....

[quote name='kingwormer']Anything below $2? It's common knowledge that anything below $5 is excluded....[/QUOTE]
I know, that what it says on the ad. But on the internal email that they received it says below $2. Too bad that my local store did not have the option for 4 for $20 deal.

[quote name='coolrust']I know, that what it says on the ad. But on the internal email that they received it says below $2. Too bad that my local store did not have the option for 4 for $20 deal.[/QUOTE]

"Suddenly Madden 10 is a best seller on Amazon along with NCAA 10"

Total pain in the ass experience today trying to get the 4 for $20.

The guy tried it 3 times, it worked once, but when he went to total it out it went away(??) and so he told me I had to come back tomorrow.

Well, the packers were on tv and they had lounge chairs near the HDTVs so I called corporate. After almost an hour on the phone (and a sweet packers victory) corporate had called the store and asked the manager to give me $20 off anything I bought after trading my games in.

So that basically meant i could stack the 25% bonus and the bonus $20 because it wasn't done in an official manner. I have two more groups of 4 to trade in and hopefully the promo gets figured out this week so I can trade them in. I got Space Marine for $20.. i just wanted to get rid of the shitty wii games i bought at best buy with my powerup rewards coupons ASAP.

I tried to do the 4 for 20 and it wasn't working. The lowest TIV was 5 but i brought 5 games and it still would not do it. Most likely has to do that it's not the same console. I had two wii. Two Xbox 360 and one Playstation 3. I told the person in gaming i would come back. But it's hit or miss.

They try that shit with me n corporate is getting a call. I've already cancelled 1-3 po's since they either didn't have the bonuses they were supposed to(Catherine) or I just found a better deal on the game elsewhere. People cancelling pre-orders is something they have to be prepared to just take if they want to be exactly like Gamestop.

Hopefully they'll let me cancel two of my remaining 3 pre-orders on Tues when RAGE comes out n I'll use that $10 towards paying off RAGE. Then I'm done with them for a while till they get this bs system of theirs fixed so it doesn't take an hour to do a trade.

Nah, I did 4 wii at $5 and $6 and it didn't work either. It's just messed up. They tried to tell me it wouldn't work with $5 games, then it proceeded to not work with $7-$10 games. It's just not working right.

[quote name='coolrust']The way he told is the "corporate will start sending letter to who ever violates their terms". That all he said to me.[/QUOTE]

can you not just pick up and return it?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They try that shit with me n corporate is getting a call. I've already cancelled 1-3 po's since they either didn't have the bonuses they were supposed to(Catherine) or I just found a better deal on the game elsewhere. People cancelling pre-orders is something they have to be prepared to just take if they want to be exactly like Gamestop.

Hopefully they'll let me cancel two of my remaining 3 pre-orders on Tues when RAGE comes out n I'll use that $10 towards paying off RAGE. Then I'm done with them for a while till they get this bs system of theirs fixed so it doesn't take an hour to do a trade.[/QUOTE]

Seems like another one of those managers that think it's cool to lie about corporate policy and or local laws in order to scare people because the manager doesn't understand economics or have basic reading skills, since a lot of what the manager allegedly said doesn't make any sense.

I think that BB will probably one day track the number of trade ins, but if they cared at all, they'd just do it like amazon and not let you trade in more than whatever amount they set as a limit (I imagine it would take about 30 minutes to program their system to enforce that limit if you had even a basic understanding of coding.)

[quote name='aeneas3']can you not just pick up and return it?[/QUOTE]

Hey may be exagerating but there is a system in place that tracks how many returns are done.

I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves that best buy is going to stay as the #1 highest value trade in place. Some kind of bullshit is going to come down the line just like it did with Amazon, Blockbuster, and all the other trade in value gold mines in the past..

[quote name='klimb22']Were you busy yesterday or something? I'm not going to do the math, but you could have made out a lot better yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Apparently I was busy enough yesterday to not worry about the $9 extra.......

[quote name='jer7583']I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves that best buy is going to stay as the #1 highest value trade in place. Some kind of bullshit is going to come down the line just like it did with Amazon, Blockbuster, and all the other trade in value gold mines in the past..[/QUOTE]

it will be "sad" for BB, since they will have worked so hard and given out so much credit, then one day people will just stop trading in to them and they will still not understand what went wrong.

I guess I feel bad for the couple of BB higher-ups that are probably yelling at the top of their lungs how to "beat" GS, but are being ignored. I imagine it's a lot like Josh in the kmart thread.

[quote name='Sillentassasin']Hey may be exagerating but there is a system in place that tracks how many returns are done.[/QUOTE]

true true. I know a lot of people here trade in a ton of games per year and use the preorder a lot.

anyway, going to give it a try tomorrow with my 8 games and see what happens. I think for me the gamers zone 14.99 a year is not worth it since BB rarely has the best preorder deals for the games I buy and my 10% extra with this batch of trade ins will not make up for the cost.

Hopefully they get it (or already have it) together tomorrow when i go in. I just wish they would put everything in print instead of leaving us scrambling to deal with what exactly "Limitations Apply" means

[quote name='DerClaw']Seems like another one of those managers that think it's cool to lie about corporate policy and or local laws in order to scare people because the manager doesn't understand economics or have basic reading skills, since a lot of what the manager allegedly said doesn't make any sense.[/QUOTE]

He's the manager of a local Best Buy. How intelligent could he possibly be? Certainly not worth the time for any CAG's to educate him on the matter.

I think the ultimate goal of all of these companies getting into the trade in space is to establish themselves so that they can buy games extremely cheaply and sell them for high prices like gamestop does.

BTW, the girl at customer service gave me some shit about how I couldn't combine gift cards anymore? Anyone else have it happen to them? To clarify, I just wanted to combine two gift cards I had from trading in today, into one gift card.

[quote name='sgr76']Hopefully they get it (or already have it) together tomorrow when i go in. I just wish they would put everything in print instead of leaving us scrambling to deal with what exactly "Limitations Apply" means[/QUOTE]

I put "limitations apply" in the title because I couldn't possibly type out all the limitation in the character limit, and I didn't want to leave it out completely since we would have dozens of "I just went to BBY and they wouldn't let me trade 4 PS2 games for an extra $20, wtf?!" responses from people who didn't take time to look at the offer.

I know the OP isn't super clear on the offer right now, and that is because the offer is listed two different ways on the two different sources. I simply tried to put as much of the info as makes sense, hoping at least most of it would turn out to be true.

It sucks that apparently their system wasn't updated correctly today. The difference between what the ad says and what the site says points to some miscommunication between departments and is likely the root of the problem. Best Buy is clearly going to need to start having more of their IT staff working on Sunday's or start running these types of promos starting on Mondays.

As for the "memo" about tracking people who don't "violate terms," corporate letters and all that... I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy starts enforcing a limit of copies, but I can't imagine they will ever go so far as to electronically go back and start removing credit from the gift cards of people who don't pick up or cancel pre-orders. Just way too messy, especially if people are spending them or having their gift cards consolidated. They'll also likely get sued for it (least based on their current fine print in the "customer agreement" that you sign with your trade-in). There is absolutely nothing saying that you are required to pick up your pre-order, in fact most of the fine print talks about possible personal data that may or may not be on hardware that gets traded in. Obviously the intent is that you pick up the games you pre-order, but unless Best Buy wants to start making it so that you can not get that extra credit till you pick it up they'll be in for one hell of a headache and a lot of upset customers since there is really no easy way to do that.

Oh, and my fine print says nothing about being able to buy back within 30 days, in fact, it says I surrender all rights to the product in question. I think some states have "pawn shop laws" that require them to allow you 30 days to buy it back, which is probably true in your state.

Geesh guys there is no legal way in hell, they will take back credit on a transaction.
They may ban you from trading (for whatever reasons they track/devise) and refund the $14.99....

and the to brilliant member who asked could you not just buy the preordered game and then return it? LMAO ... if they track preorder returns, they will track game returns that were preordered...hell they now have a third party tracking all returns...and all returns require your driver's license....

[quote name='donut']Geesh guys there is no legal way in hell, they will take back credit on a transaction.
They may ban you from trading (for whatever reasons they track/devise) and refund the $14.99....

and the to brilliant member who asked could you not just buy the preordered game and then return it? LMAO ... if they track preorder returns, they will track game returns that were preordered...hell they now have a third party tracking all returns...and all returns require your driver's license....[/QUOTE]

You know it's funny, when I cancelled my Madden pre-order (the only one I have cancelled) they didn't ask for my ID. Just realized that.

Also just want to add, if people have useful suggestions for the OP please share, but comments like "the OP is a mess" (which I personally disagree with, but either way) don't help. Explain what you find to be a mess and how it might be improved, maybe I'll think your idea is brilliant and implement it, maybe I'll think you're a retard. Never know till you try. That said, I will not add, and I don't think we should add, every single possible question that might come up with every single type of trade-in promo. The OP really will become a mess then.

The $20 bonus did work ONCE today while i was there but it also went away on the next screen before he could finalize the transaction. I think it was just coded poorly.

I know Best Buy isn't Gamestop, but Gamestop has been doing trade ins for quite some time and as far as I know they don't have a system that can tell that you got a bonus trade in credit then returned the game or canceled the pre-order.

I'm sure there are some managers that can see the loopholes and would like to do something about it, but I don't see how the company as a whole will be able to enforce it, unless there is significant abuse and they just ban you.

[quote name='donut']Geesh guys there is no legal way in hell, they will take back credit on a transaction.

and the to brilliant member who asked could you not just buy the preordered game and then return it? LMAO ... if they track preorder returns, they will track game returns that were preordered...hell they now have a third party tracking all returns...and all returns require your driver's license....[/QUOTE]

I guess some of us are more creative. anyway, good luck tomorrow people hopefully the system will be fixed.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']You know it's funny, when I cancelled my Madden pre-order (the only one I have cancelled) they didn't ask for my ID. Just realized that.

Also just want to add, if people have useful suggestions for the OP please share, but comments like "the OP is a mess" (which I personally disagree with, but either way) don't help. Explain what you find to be a mess and how it might be improved, maybe I'll think your idea is brilliant and implement it, maybe I'll think you're a retard. Never know till you try. That said, I will not add, and I don't think we should add, every single possible question that might come up with every single type of trade-in promo. The OP really will become a mess then.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy started a policy on Jaunary 31st of this year to require ID on ALL returns. It wasn't until recently that that is stored in a computer and when something is returned too many times it will not allow it.

The system used right now for trade ins is not the return system but im trying to find out what is being logged and what is not. I've gotten too many diffrent answers.

I also cancelled my madden preorder - Well actually i moved it over to 2k12 which i will be picking up and keeping until about this time next year. I'm actually hoping to dump a few old games to finish paying for it with this deal.

I don't know what i am worried about. Anytime i have any doubt about in-store deals or discrepancies, my store always has their stuff together when it comes to promotions.

[quote name='jer7583']Total pain in the ass experience today trying to get the 4 for $20.

The guy tried it 3 times, it worked once, but when he went to total it out it went away(??) and so he told me I had to come back tomorrow.

Well, the packers were on tv and they had lounge chairs near the HDTVs so I called corporate. After almost an hour on the phone (and a sweet packers victory) corporate had called the store and asked the manager to give me $20 off anything I bought after trading my games in.

So that basically meant i could stack the 25% bonus and the bonus $20 because it wasn't done in an official manner. I have two more groups of 4 to trade in and hopefully the promo gets figured out this week so I can trade them in. I got Space Marine for $20.. i just wanted to get rid of the shitty wii games i bought at best buy with my powerup rewards coupons ASAP.[/QUOTE]

I was AT the Packer game today...Rodgers was a beast. Perfect day for a football game and an even better weekend to be a WI sports fan. 2 Brewers playoff victories, a Badgers rout of Nebraska and a pummeling of the Broncos...it was as good as they get.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I was AT the Packer game today...Rodgers was a beast. Perfect day for a football game and an even better weekend to be a WI sports fan. 2 Brewers playoff victories, a Badgers rout of Nebraska and a pummeling of the Broncos...it was as good as they get.[/QUOTE]

and the Patriots won!

:D

[quote name='Sillentassasin']Best Buy started a policy on Jaunary 31st of this year to require ID on ALL returns. It wasn't until recently that that is stored in a computer and when something is returned too many times it will not allow it.

The system used right now for trade ins is not the return system but im trying to find out what is being logged and what is not. I've gotten too many diffrent answers.[/QUOTE]

Never implied that the trade-in system and the return system were the same, just stated that for whatever reason I was not asked to show my ID when I did my return of Madden 12 pre-order. Weird.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I was AT the Packer game today...Rodgers was a beast. Perfect day for a football game and an even better weekend to be a WI sports fan. 2 Brewers playoff victories, a Badgers rout of Nebraska and a pummeling of the Broncos...it was as good as they get.[/QUOTE]

Brew Crew! So excited that they are killing it, but still a little sore that after living in Wisconsin my entire life, and Milwaukee the last five, they decide to be phenomenal the year I move out of the state. Had plenty of good times at Miller Park though regardless of their record.

I don't think Best Buy will do anything about people canceling pre-orders. I am sure GameStop would have thought of that long ago if it were a feasible idea. We all know how Best Buy employees, managers in particular, like to make shit up when it suits them. Or to just flex their nuts at us feeble non-Best Buy employees. Just today I was told I couldn't trade in games with anything written on them, this one had some initials on it. I have traded in several games like that before so I know this guy was full of it. It still just baffles me how hard it is for places to get a trade in system in place that works. I was on my way to Best Buy today until I saw all the problems others where having. My local store would never in million years be caught dead helping a customer so I didn't bother. I did just notice I have 3 pre-orders of Rage now so I should probably return at least two. I also think the tracking returns stuff is bullshit anyways. I have done many, many returns since it went to the new tracking system. My guess it is to catch people who buy bigger items and return them on a regular basis.

[quote name='jer7583']I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves that best buy is going to stay as the #1 highest value trade in place. Some kind of bullshit is going to come down the line just like it did with Amazon, Blockbuster, and all the other trade in value gold mines in the past..[/QUOTE]

Add to that Gazelle and maybe HWV gaming dept...what was that called? That bullshit is called "market realities" and it's inevitable. I'm just hoping they are making a big enough dent to temporarily nudge amazon and gamestop towards higher tivs. I know they're getting most of my games these days.

[quote name='DerClaw']it will be "sad" for BB, since they will have worked so hard and given out so much credit, then one day people will just stop trading in to them and they will still not understand what went wrong.[/QUOTE]

Sound like what happens to labor and manufacturing in the US.

[quote name='DerClaw']I guess I feel bad for the couple of BB higher-ups that are probably yelling at the top of their lungs how to "beat" GS, but are being ignored. I imagine it's a lot like Josh in the kmart thread.[/QUOTE]

You must be one of "those guys" if you feel compassion for them. They make plenty of money. Who cares if they're being ignored?

The 4/$20 worked for me this morning, but I went in an hour after opening.

Went to my best buy today in San Jose CA. and the four for 20 extra deal, didnt work for me. thankfully, i qualified for the 2 for 25% extra, and only lost out on three dollars. But still 3 dollars:(

[quote name='Toss']

You must be one of "those guys" if you feel compassion for them. They make plenty of money. Who cares if they're being ignored?
[/QUOTE]

I mean, I generally "feel bad" about the fact that intelligent and creative people are being constantly stifled by idiots and red tape type situations. The fact that there are probably some of those people working for BB is unfortunate, I guess, but I'd like to see those people succeed.

On a more "selfish" level, i think that in the long run, BB getting this worked out and sticking around eventually leads to slightly higher TIVs accross the board rather than just these crazy high TIVs for a short time, you know? If the game stays such that GS is where you take your B&M trades and that's it, because BB fails at this, then I'd presume that TIVS will be lower than if BB and GS are both doing it.

[quote name='DCpinoy']BTW, the girl at customer service gave me some shit about how I couldn't combine gift cards anymore? Anyone else have it happen to them? To clarify, I just wanted to combine two gift cards I had from trading in today, into one gift card.[/QUOTE]

What store location?

bread's done
Back