Best Buy Trade-in Thread 2.0: Please see new thread.

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:
- 50% Bonus when you trade in ANY game.
Get a 50% trade in bonus when you trade in ANY game. Offer valid 01/01/12 - 01/07/12

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored Promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
None at the moment

Previous Promotions:
Promos that have expired:
- 50% Bonus with specific Pre-order from list.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game from the following list: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, MLB 12 The Show, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Twisted Metal, Max Payne 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Diablo 3. Offer valid 12/25/11 - 12/31/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11
- 40% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/10/11

- 50% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/03/11

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 10/5/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 40% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 50% Bonus with Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/Purchase Modern Warfare 3. Offer valid 10/10/11 - 11/12/11 (Assuming this means a bonus for purchasing the game after it is released this Tuesday)

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 40% Bonus with The Elder Scrolls V: Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Max Payne 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Max Payne 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11 - This promo seems a little odd and there is a chance it is an error on the site since the game is so far from release.

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Skyrim Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Uncharted 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Uncharted 3. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you purchase Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.

Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/22/11

- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/16/11 - 10/22/11

- 50% Bonus with Batman: Arkham City Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/15/11

- 30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get a 30% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11

- Trade 4 get an extra $20 Trade-in Credit.
Get $20 trade-in Credit when you trade 4 or more games (Current gen games only (no PS2) and $5 minimum for each game). Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11 **** This promo was cancelled early due to technical issues. There have been issues with this promo not working on some stores' systems or simply not even being available, the issue seems to be related to disc-only games (or any game that is typed rather than scanned) so plan accordingly. The $20 extra is once per trade-in, meaning 4 games or 123 games it will only be $20 extra per transaction. So if you want to trade in 8 games, do it in two separate transactions. ****

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer was valid from 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expired 10/01/2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracks on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DerClaw']
On a more "selfish" level, i think that in the long run, BB getting this worked out and sticking around eventually leads to slightly higher TIVs accross the board rather than just these crazy high TIVs for a short time, you know? If the game stays such that GS is where you take your B&M trades and that's it, because BB fails at this, then I'd presume that TIVS will be lower than if BB and GS are both doing it.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I was AT the Packer game today...Rodgers was a beast. Perfect day for a football game and an even better weekend to be a WI sports fan. 2 Brewers playoff victories, a Badgers rout of Nebraska and a pummeling of the Broncos...it was as good as they get.[/QUOTE]

Well, I could care less about WI (or actually actively dislike it given the political shenanigans up there) but I do like the Packers because Aaron Rodgers went to Cal.

As for Best Buy, this thread is funny because I skimmed through it today and while I saw a report here and there about the promo not working it was not at all clear to me that it just isn't in the system at all. I went in late Sunday evening West Coast and got my usual trade-in guy (I swear, this guy is there every time I go in no matter what day). He was all set to do two sets of trade-ins for me as I brought 8 games. On the first set he showed me the promo screen that comes up after the games are entered and there simply was no $20 promo. He was aware of it from the ad. So finally he called his supervisor over and the guy agreed to simply give me the difference between the Rage preorder deal and $20, which turned out ot be $7-something. Why he did it that way instead of just giving me $20 I don't know but I assume it has something to do with him wanting to issue as little "free" credit as possible. Of course they did not make me preorder again - they just used that to get me as much bonus as possible up front. (As an aside, this better not "count against me" in some sort of system since I had no intention of making another preorder and that was their choice on how to handle the screwed up promo!).

The thing that sucked is that the manager refused to let me do the second set of games - he said that "violated the spirit of the ad". He said I could come back tomorrow and do the other set. Well, thanks jackass, it is a 30 mile round trip so it isn't all that easy to do. The guy helping me was pissed about it afterwards and said he would have just done two sets and he doesn't know why the guy said that. He had argued with him that the ad had no restrictions on using it more than once but to no avail.

That made me change the way I did the trade-ins as I had certain games that I thought might drop in value faster so I switched around what I traded in my single set of 4. As long as the other 4 don't drop by Weds or Thurs when I can get back there then I guess it is no big deal - but still, it was kind of annoying.

I had some family visiting (and waiting in the car since we were on the way to dinner) so I didn't even want to get into trying to get a copy of the magazine (which of course I have yet to get in the mail) to get GoW Collection for $15. I figured the manager would just give me grief over that anyway. I just picked up my $25 online order.

Earlier in the day I noticed a really odd thing with my RZ account. I still cannot see any transactions and my point total had not changed in several weeks. And yet today I had a mystery $10 RZ cert to redeem. It was just issued on Sept. 29th and is only good until Oct 29th unlike the other 2 which I had and are good till some time next year. I have no idea what that is for, but I plan to use it ASAP. Anyone else get a random $10 RZ cert like that? All I've done there recently is trade games and buy other games using the trade-in credit.

[quote name='noone13']i don't think best buy will do anything about people canceling pre-orders. I am sure gamestop would have thought of that long ago if it were a feasible idea. We all know how best buy employees, managers in particular, like to make shit up when it suits them. Or to just flex their nuts at us feeble non-best buy employees. Just today i was told i couldn't trade in games with anything written on them, this one had some initials on it. I have traded in several games like that before so i know this guy was full of it. It still just baffles me how hard it is for places to get a trade in system in place that works. I was on my way to best buy today until i saw all the problems others where having. My local store would never in million years be caught dead helping a customer so i didn't bother. I did just notice i have 3 pre-orders of rage now so i should probably return at least two. I also think the tracking returns stuff is bullshit anyways. I have done many, many returns since it went to the new tracking system. My guess it is to catch people who buy bigger items and return them on a regular basis.[/quote]

amen

I'm pretty sure the promo was in the system this morning because at first it seemed like I was not getting it, but at some point near the end of the transaction, the guy says sorta suprised, "oh yeah..and we got a promo for an extra $20 ...yadayada," like it popped up on the screen. And it reflects on my receipt. Although once again the unlocked did not work automatically. I even had him wait while I brought my unlocked receipt to customer service, they rang it up again this time scanning the unlocked pamphlet barcode. Still didn't work and he wouldn't give it to me. oh well ..just $2 lost on my 1st test batch.

And yeah Io, these guys seem to all work 30-40hrs a week there. It's much harder to be inconspicuous, really more like impossible.

[quote name='Toss']
And yeah Io, these guys seem to all work 30-40hrs a week there. It's much harder to be inconspicuous, really more like impossible.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't have a problem getting this same guy every time. He knows me now and one of the things he said when he apologized for his manager not letting me do the deal twice was that I was one of his best customers.

The other great thing about him is that he is very hyperactive / ADD which, while it can be slightly annoying (he will talk about everything and anything and is easily distracted while doing the trade-ins so it takes a while), does have its up side. The plus side of it is that he doesn't seem to remember which games I bring in from one time to the next (as evidenced by him asking me how a certain game was and talking about it like he didn't already ask me the last time). So he never questions where my multiples come from or anything because he honestly doesn't remember I just traded the same game yesterday - even when it is something that stands out like a certain cardboard-boxed DS game ;).

[quote name='DerClaw']I mean, I generally "feel bad" about the fact that intelligent and creative people are being constantly stifled by idiots and red tape type situations. The fact that there are probably some of those people working for BB is unfortunate, I guess, but I'd like to see those people succeed.

On a more "selfish" level, i think that in the long run, BB getting this worked out and sticking around eventually leads to slightly higher TIVs accross the board rather than just these crazy high TIVs for a short time, you know? If the game stays such that GS is where you take your B&M trades and that's it, because BB fails at this, then I'd presume that TIVS will be lower than if BB and GS are both doing it.[/QUOTE]

It's all about margin. Traded in games would bring in a higher margin then new ones. That's all Best Buy cares about at this point.

I was a part of that "red tape" a bit ago. That's why i know the system a little better than most of the other people in this thread.

[quote name='io'] The plus side of it is that he doesn't seem to remember which games I bring in from one time to the next (as evidenced by him asking me how a certain game was and talking about it like he didn't already ask me the last time). So he never questions where my multiples come from or anything because he honestly doesn't remember I just traded the same game yesterday - even when it is something that stands out like a certain cardboard-boxed DS game ;).[/QUOTE]

LOL...also I need to practice your level of discression.

[quote name='Sillentassasin']It's all about margin. Traded in games would bring in a higher margin then new ones. That's all Best Buy cares about at this point.

I was a part of that "red tape" a bit ago. That's why i know the system a little better than most of the other people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

explain?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']explain?[/QUOTE]

Dont wanna bore everyone but here's the a TL:DR; The ass kissers who dont know shit get promoted while the ones who know the system inside and out are shafted due to political or hidden agendas.

I will try again tomorrow to see if i can get the 4 for 20 at another store. hopefully it's a bit better

My experience today (Sunday) at 2 different stores. One horrible, one excellent. Back in the Charlotte, NC area for the next couple days. Long story, so spoilered for those that wanna read, tl;dr notes at bottom

Picked up a handful of games at Gamestop that would break even/transfer credit to Best Buy. Brought in 5 Wii games to the Concord Mills location. All 5 were in white Wii cases, but 3 I got from a friend who I was trying to trade in disc only, hence keeping the case inserts/manuals. Games were as folllowed:

Random game from GS (complete) $5 TIV
Random game from GS (complete) $6 TIV
MadWorld (disc only in Wii case) $4 TIV
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (disc only in Wii case) $6 TIV
Super Mario Galaxy (disc only in Wii case) $8 TIV

Get pink stickered/security stickers at the door and head to video game trade in counter. First time trading in at this store, but I've done it a few times at home. Was coming from church, so I had on dress pants, shirt, tie. I tell him online that I saw online a Trade 4, Get $20 deal and he nods.

The guy starts checking out the the disc only games first. And he proceeds to tell me that he can't take MP3C or SMG. I ask is it because they are scratched, but I look and they are pristine. He says that there is supposed to be something printed on the inner rings of the discs or inlaid on the disc themselves. He inspects one of the complete games and says it's missing something on the front.

So basically, the guy accuses me of trying to trade in fake discs. He doesn't say it, but because I'm trying to do the Trade 4, Get $20, if he won't take 2, I'm outta luck. All have TIV of $5 or over except for MadWorld. I tell him something along the lines of "I think you don't know what you're talking about" and take my games.

If the guy was like, no discs only, I would've thought "I know better" but had no problem with that answer and left. But because he tries to pull something outta his butt, I wasn't happy with the experience of being lied to and him alluding to the notion that I am trading in bootleg games.

I was late to catch the Panthers game at a friend's, otherwise, I woulda stayed and argued. I actually had all the inserts/manuals in my car, and I would've gone as far as to buy other copies of MP3C or SMG (original, not Player's Selects version) if they had them used, just to show him that the discs were the exact same, just to prove a point that he had no idea what he was talking about. His nametag said Game Supervisor, I think, but I can't remember his name. That was my horrible experience.

On the way home to change to go to my friends, I stop in at a Gamestop that has SingStar Dance in stock, and pick up a few more Wii games to transfer credit to Best Buy. Go home, change into jeans and a long sleeve Panthers tee shirt. Get to my friend's, take a couple of shots, eat a couple slices of Pizza, watch the Panthers lose by 5. End up going to another Best Buy, with my friend, to try again. This time the story is different, and the experience I had was awesome.

This time I bring in 6 games:

Random game from GS (complete) - $5 TIV
Random game from GS (complete) $6 TIV
MadWorld (disc only in Wii case) $4 TIV
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (disc only in Wii case) $6 TIV
Red Steel (disc only in Wii case) $2 TIV
Super Mario Galaxy (disc only in Wii case) $8 TIV

I'm pretty sure I also smell like alcohol at this point. Walk in, the security guy is busy, I show him the games and tell him I'm there to trade in, he tells me to go back to the Video Game counter. Head back there, there are actually signs posted for the Trade 4, Get $20. Had to wait for someone to show up because the guy there was newer and wasn't familiar with the trade in process, no big deal. The guy that comes back knows what he's doing.

New guy asked how I liked Red Steel, and I actually did like it, but the waggle sucks. I threw in that 2 requires the Motion Plus, so it's more accurate. I have 2 at home, but I haven't played it. Just start talking with my friend about games and how the BB process is, like how SMG is now a Player's Select and only $20, and BB is giving $8 for it and that you can check online for the values before trading in.

Mention that trading in Prime 3 because I have Prime Trilogy, and while the trade in process is going on, we are talking about Move stuff. I mention how it sucks that RE 4 doesn't have Move controls, so he gets the idea that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to video games.

After checking out all the discs and getting them scanned in (the same ones the guy at the other store said he wouldn't accept), he tells me that it's a known problem that the Trade 4 promo isn't automatically coming up. A manager comes over. I tell her I'm picking up a hard drive, and if they wanna just knock $20 off that, I'm fine with that. She tells me to go get it, and she agrees.

The guy is asking me if I wanna preorder Rage to get an extra 30%. I don't really wanna, but he's saying there's a $9.30 bonus. I tell him to go ahead then and explain to my friend that it's a $5 Preorder, so I'm up $4.30 anyways. I'll just return the preorder and the guy says I can't do that (I've done it before, but I don't care and probably won't return this one). I tell him, it's no problem then, it's $4.30 more than I would've had. I tell my friend these preorder numbers look good for the employees and the guy says yup, and thanks me for doing it.

Rings up the hard drive, gets another manager to come over and knock off $20 after explaining what he talked to with the first manager. Got my hard drive and preorder. Used the $40.30 card from trading in, and paid the other $18 or so with another card from a previous trade in. Walked out, satisfied.

TLDR
-First store, BB guy basically accuses me of attempting to trade in bootleg games by making up that the discs I am trading in are missing something that is supposed to be printed/inlaid on the disc. Trade in denied
-Second store, BB guy knows all about promos, knows a real Wii disc when he sees one, knows of existing problems with promos, solves everything, Trade in successful

I understand asking for ID on returns but why would they ask for 1 when I'm just making an exchange for something more and not receiving any type of payment back that make no sense.

[quote name='io'] Anyone else get a random $10 RZ cert like that? All I've done there recently is trade games and buy other games using the trade-in credit.[/QUOTE]

It's from that Spend $100 get $10 (or whatever the spend amount was) promo they had. I got it too. You simply had to spend the amount, didn't matter if it was gift card or cash.

Is this deal for $20 extra dollars or extra 20%? On thier website it says:

20% Extra Trade-In Credit
when you trade in four PS3, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, or 3DS titles.

Its gotta be an online only deal since the site still lists the $20 deal as an in-store promo

Promotions available in stores only
Trade 4, Get $20 trade-in credit
Get $20 trade-in credit when you trade 4 or more games worth $5 or more Offer expires 10/08/2011
Trade 2, Get 25% More
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit Offer expires 10/29/2011
30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12 Offer expires 10/08/2011

[quote name='jacknicklson']To track your returns[/QUOTE]

Returns does not mean exchange if you are getting something for the same value or even more.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']$20. The 20% extra might be an online deal (?)[/QUOTE]

Not saying there never will be, but there never has been an "online deal." Likely won't be one either. The advantage to online is that you can lock in trade-in prices.

[quote name='boogie4114']Returns does not mean exchange if you are getting something for the same value or even more.[/QUOTE]

returns are a pain in the ass for every company even if you exchange it for something of equal value. They do not like this behavior.

[quote name='boogie4114']Returns does not mean exchange if you are getting something for the same value or even more.[/QUOTE]

But to process that they have to do a return

[quote name='Skulles']But to process that they have to do a return[/QUOTE]

And I discovered on Saturday, it's even a bigger problem if you purchased the item 30+ days ago as it requires a manager override.

Doh!!

Trade in 4 and get $20 extra promo is still not working in store. Save your gas. I'm kind of pissed. I went to store 3 times and still can't get it to work and the Rep can't do anything.

[quote name='Uso']Trade in 4 and get $20 extra promo is still not working in store. Save your gas. I'm kind of pissed. I went to store 3 times and still can't get it to work and the Rep can't do anything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely saved me gas and time.

[quote name='frowninclown']What store location?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DCpinoy']it was the best buy in union city, ca.[/QUOTE]
Hey local CAGs here, I'm at that BB almost every week. And yes, yesterday the girl CS said they're not supposed to combine GC anymore because u cannot buy a GC w/ a GC. But, you will still find other reps that's willing to do it for you.

Anyone else having significant issues with the trade in value calculator on their website (ie : it not working at all...)

It was only giving some errors yesterday, now any game I throw at it isnt in their system...

Hoping to trade in some groups of 4 for 20 this week to bulk up for the rest of the preorder train...

This is probably a question for Enuf, but do we know if they track when you price adjust things similarly to a return? I price adjusted a kindle a couple of days ago and the way they processed it, it looked a lot like a return. Seems like that would be kind of annoying if that was tracked as returning the kindle, since I didn't.

[quote name='jer7583']I think the ultimate goal of all of these companies getting into the trade in space is to establish themselves so that they can buy games extremely cheaply and sell them for high prices like gamestop does.[/QUOTE]

^^truth

GS makes majority of their money reselling games. I cannot recall the actual percent of their gross profits. When reselling used games the developers/distributors get 0% of the money (all the profit goes to GS). Why wouldn't any other company want to do the same thing, and in the process pay the distributors less (cut out the middleman), since people are bringing in their used games and GS/BB/AMZ/etc are continuously selling the same used games to new customers (and buying them back for 10-20% of their resell price from the same customers). In this model, why pay for distributor stock if you have loyal customers willing to bring you merchandise to resell, in effect turning GS/BB/AMZ/etc into the new middleman.

My office moved over the weekend. It's actually kind of far from home, but now I literally drive past 3 Best Buys, two Toys R Us, 1 Kmart, 3 Targets, 4 BBVs, and an untold number of Gamestops on my way to and from work.

The fact that once things calm down a bit, I could stop at each of those places and it would only add about 5 minutes of driving time to my commute is awesome (obviously a lot more time inside the store, but that is the fun part).

[quote name='Uso']Trade in 4 and get $20 extra promo is still not working in store. Save your gas. I'm kind of pissed. I went to store 3 times and still can't get it to work and the Rep can't do anything.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't seem like it's nationwide since it was working all day yesterday at the BB I'm at.

[quote name='DerClaw']My office moved over the weekend. It's actually kind of far from home, but now I literally drive past 3 Best Buys, two Toys R Us, 1 Kmart, 3 Targets, 4 BBVs, and an untold number of Gamestops on my way to and from work.

The fact that once things calm down a bit, I could stop at each of those places and it would only add about 5 minutes of driving time to my commute is awesome (obviously a lot more time inside the store, but that is the fun part).[/QUOTE]

Wooah, overly jealous. :'( You're gonna have a great flipping season come November/December once GameStop's B2G1 sales start and BBV B1G1. If BB keeps up with these values and promos, you should make a killing! Haha

omg. still not working at my store. hopefully they get it by this weekend, and hopefully tiv's don't fall. this is messed up, ugh.

I don't understand why the store couldn't just give you a $20 value on a gift card for their fuckup.

They all act like they're powerless to help you in the store. I know they can do something about it because I called and coprorate told them to give the $20 bonus one way or another.

[quote name='jer7583']I don't understand why the store couldn't just give you a $20 value on a gift card for their fuckup.

They all act like they're powerless to help you in the store. I know they can do something about it because I called and coprorate told them to give the $20 bonus one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the problem is with best buy training but blueshirts are masters of the "no" and "we can't do that" and "that can't happen" etc. I get that they'd lose their job if they were just handing out money or whatever, but at least try to make it look like you are on my side please...

[quote name='jer7583']I don't understand why the store couldn't just give you a $20 value on a gift card for their fuckup.

They all act like they're powerless to help you in the store. I know they can do something about it because I called and coprorate told them to give the $20 bonus one way or another.[/QUOTE]

Oh know!!1!
Best buy didn't give me free money either :cry:

JUST GOT BACK FROM BB

had a manager look into it, all stores are having problems, theyre looking into it...

ALSO, i wouldnt have gotten the $20 anyway, as EACH GAME MUST HAVE AT LEAST $5 value to count, that sucked..

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Oh know!!1!
Best buy didn't give me free money either :cry:[/QUOTE]

Free money!?!?!

Dude, it is a legit advertised promo. They need to make it right one way or the other.

Exactly, one rep actually lie and tell me you get it in reward certificates. I told him that is not what the ad said. He read the ad, but can't do anything for me

I did three successful trade-ins yesterday with the $20 bonus. However, a fourth set of games did not go through for some reason with the $20 bonus. All 16 games were at least $5 TIV. There may be something about specific games that makes the system wonky.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Hey local CAGs here, I'm at that BB almost every week. And yes, yesterday the girl CS said they're not supposed to combine GC anymore because u cannot buy a GC w/ a GC. But, you will still find other reps that's willing to do it for you.[/QUOTE]

Nice, were you there yesterday too? Melody helped me out a lot to get me the 20 bonus. Good thing I have a friend that works CS, so she'll help me out.

[quote name='bajingo']EACH GAME MUST HAVE AT LEAST $5 value to count, that sucked..[/QUOTE]

Uh... why the hell would you think otherwise?

[quote name='stoned99']And I discovered on Saturday, it's even a bigger problem if you purchased the item 30+ days ago as it requires a manager override.

Doh!![/QUOTE]

Best Buy has a 30 day return policy. Even if you are a day over, it requires an override. If it was an exchange not so much.

[quote name='DerClaw'] do we know if they track when you price adjust things similarly to a return? I price adjusted a kindle a couple of days ago and the way they processed it, it looked a lot like a return. Seems like that would be kind of annoying if that was tracked as returning the kindle, since I didn't.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what the top of the receipt says. It should say price adjustment instead of return at the top. Or at the very least it should say exchange.

Many ways to process it but each store and associate has their own way

[quote name='Sillentassasin']Best Buy has a 30 day return policy. Even if you are a day over, it requires an override. If it was an exchange not so much.

Depends on what the top of the receipt says. It should say price adjustment instead of return at the top. Or at the very least it should say exchange.

Many ways to process it but each store and associate has their own way[/QUOTE]

Mine says exchange. The guy that works the customer service desk at that BB is an idiot though... at first he didn't want to do it -- well at first, second, third, and fourth he didn't want to do it. My favorite was that the "Kindle with Special Offers" is now called "Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers" because of the touchscreen kindles, and so "it's not the same thing."

I eventually just walked into the manager's office, since I could see that the door was cracked open a bit and told him what I wanted to do and got it taken care of.

Please everyone take a few minutes and call 1-888 BESTBUY to tell them of the issue with this...
Ask for Consumer Relations.
Do not ask for the TRade in dept. as it is online only and Gaming dept is clueless.
This is a marketing IT issue...
They appear clueless this is going on and I think store level is ASSuming corporate is fixing it.
I'm on with them now, and they have no "issues logged" at this time.
Need some support guys before the TIVs start to drop ............

update - my CS rep called the store and spoke to the manager who will make an exception if I come back today but issuing a gift card.
I told the CS rep "that's nice" but I want you to make sure the correct corporate depts are aware of this issue as it should have been resolved overnight.

[quote name='DerClaw']Mine says exchange. The guy that works the customer service desk at that BB is an idiot though... at first he didn't want to do it -- well at first, second, third, and fourth he didn't want to do it. My favorite was that the "Kindle with Special Offers" is now called "Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers" because of the touchscreen kindles, and so "it's not the same thing."

I eventually just walked into the manager's office, since I could see that the door was cracked open a bit and told him what I wanted to do and got it taken care of.[/QUOTE]

Even if there was a name change, he should have matched up the SKU numbers as those would not have changed.

Even though he exchanged it, you should be good. He should have just done a pricematch but he wasn't smart enough to do so.

[quote name='donut']Please everyone take a few minutes and call 1-888 BESTBUY to tell them of the issue with this...
Ask for Consumer Relations.
Do not ask for the TRade in dept. as it is online only and Gaming dept is clueless.
This is a marketing IT issue...
They appear clueless this is going on and I think store level is ASSuming corporate is fixing it.
I'm on with them now, and they have no "issues logged" at this time.
Need some support guys before the TIVs start to drop ............

update - my CS rep called the store and spoke to the manager who will make an exception if I come back today but issuing a gift card.
I told the CS rep "that's nice" but I want you to make sure the correct corporate depts are aware of this issue as it should have been resolved overnight.[/QUOTE]

They said the same when I called. Ask for Consumer Relations.

You know, I bet best buy realized they'd be paying too much for a lot of games so they just aren't going to fix it, and it'll sit broken until it expires.

Somehow the blue shirt helped me by just giving me the 25% bonus, then issued another gift card to cover the difference. I believe she had manager approval to do this.

Was able to get the promo to work without issue. Mixed and matched systems (wii and psp; then ds, psp, 360). Got my gift cards and now waiting for a ICO to show up locally

bread's done
Back