Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, this is HUGE! I'm about to go trade a huge stack of games in between 3 BB's this afternoon, and I'd love to get that extra 10% (and not have to buy another copy of NCAA, lol). I wonder if there is a prompt on the screen like the NCAA deal, or will it do it automatically, like the previous 30% bonus...???

[quote name='lilmotto']Can anyone else confirm the 50% extra?[/QUOTE]

Well my first call to BB resulted in a big NO...I will try a different one.

Anyone know of anything good to flip now from Gamestop to BB? I have like 200 in Gamestop credit I'd rather have in Amazon.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well my first call to BB resulted in a big NO...I will try a different one.[/QUOTE]

well, if they're like other best buy employees, they'd be clueless.

the 50% promo would be the last step in the trade in process.

I remember being the guinea pig for original 30% promo. I'll sign up to do the same for this one. Give me 15-20 minutes and I'll post from my phone. I'll give more specific findings once I return to a computer. With any luck I'll get the helpful guy.

[quote name='confoosious']well, if they're like other best buy employees, they'd be clueless.

the 50% promo would be the last step in the trade in process.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the 2nd call was even worse. She tried to direct me to the video games department and it proceeded to kick me back twice. The third time it kicks me back and I SWEAR she was just messing with me. Every time I said hello she would just repeat hello back and would not say anything unless I said hello. What a waste of 10 minutes.

[quote name='bgame2']Guy was very helpful. Only the NCAA promo appeared as an option. Was a 6 game trade in.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks! One possibility is that it only works if its a 2-game trade in (no more, no less)

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Cool thanks! One possibility is that it only works if its a 2-game trade in (no more, no less)[/QUOTE]

Thought of that two. Traded in an even number in purpose but wanted people to know it was more than two games. Hope I helped.

Try having your local BBs call the one in Burlington, MA for a confirmation lol.

Don't really know any other way to help you guys, sorry. Sorta figured a lot of other stores would be clueless on the matter (which is why I added the edit :p)

May be that the manager at yours was mistaken. My guy was thorough so unless someone has success I'm thinking he got confused.

Well, OP says 50% starts the 17th. Maybe your store jumped the gun? It's not even listed online currently. If I had a second game to trade-in, this deal would be nice, if it truly requires 2 games.

[quote name='bgame2']May be that the manager at yours was mistaken. My guy was thorough so unless someone has success I'm thinking he got confused.[/QUOTE]

He clearly stated that the NCAA 12 promo is over. Said since the game is out now, the pre-order thing is invalid and that they're running the trade 2 get 50% extra instead.

I asked him if it was the same thing that's happening next week and he said yes.

This all came up when I was asking about bringing in the online quote in-store, and he mentioned the benefit of trading in in-store (+50% on the online quoted price, promo going on right now).

/shrug

My filler Kinect games came in today, so I'll head back to the store tomorrow for the 50%. Will report back afterwards >.>

Slapped a YMMV edit on my posts. Will follow the thread to see if anyone else can get the deal, but will be in class soon. Good luck!

Hmm...well thanks as always for being our test subject, bgame. I'm about to embark on a trip to hit 3 BB's (yes, I've been saying that all day, but I'm really, finally about to leave now), and I've got a TON of games to trade. Maybe I can just do 2 at one of the stores.

I'm just a little worried about if I try to hold out beyond the screen to appy the 40%, if the 50% doesn't auto-apply, will I be stuck with the base TIV's? Also, maybe it's another thing where the trade 2 for extra 50% is off of a certain list?

[quote name='sgaldis']Hmm...well thanks as always for being our test subject, bgame. I'm about to embark on a trip to hit 3 BB's (yes, I've been saying that all day, but I'm really, finally about to leave now), and I've got a TON of games to trade. Maybe I can just do 2 at one of the stores.

I'm just a little worried about if I try to hold out beyond the screen to appy the 40%, if the 50% doesn't auto-apply, will I be stuck with the base TIV's? Also, maybe it's another thing where the trade 2 for extra 50% is off of a certain list?[/QUOTE]

Try trading in 2 first. Can you report on your phone?

[quote name='bgame2']Guy was very helpful. Only the NCAA promo appeared as an option. Was a 6 game trade in.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
Slapped a YMMV edit on my posts. Will follow the thread to see if anyone else can get the deal, but will be in class soon. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks bgame2 for reporting. Happy for you Prinny:applause:. I'll just have to play the waiting game from now to 7/16, I guess. Hope TIVs don't drop too much.

Ok, I'm back now. First things first, I want to be clear that I wasn't saying Prinny did anything wrong by reporting what his/her manager said. Info is always appreciated here. So that is exactly why I used the terminology that the manager "may have been mistaken". It seems apparent that the promo is coming but from what I witnessed, it isn't live yet (at least on a six game trade).

With that out of the way, I explained to my CSR at the kiosk that I had read that a 50% promo which was scheduled to start next week might have started early. He said he was aware of the NCAA promo, but not the 50%. He then immediately yanked out the promo sheet. He said "well there's nothing there for this week". I appreciated his choice of words because most blue shirts would have just said "No we're not doing that."

Next I explained that I was familiar with the process and that I knew that the option to add the bonus comes at the end. I asked him if he could start the process and let me know what options came up at that point. He was happy to do that. He then went the whole way through, told me the pre-promo bonus and then advanced to the part where they can select a promo. He noted that only the NCAA promo was there. I do not know if it was the preorder one (which we all believe is dead) or the one currently advertised which gives you and extra 40% for purchasing NCAA, but in the end I got an NCAA related promo for an extra 40%.

He took his time and listened to what I had to say so I have nothing but good things to say about him for trying, and about Prinny for providing the board with a heads up about possible good news.

Again, my trade was a 6 game trade.

fuck best buy for their stupid in store promos only and not having in store trade-ins yet in FL even though they all have the kiosk.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brenex']fuck best buy for there stupid in store promos only and not having in store trade-ins yet in FL even though they all have the kiosk.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same exact boat!
Why is BB taking their sweet little time bring the damn trade in program down here to FL :(

hello everyone, i cancelled my pre-order for ncaa 12 to get the promo.
i got an e-mail for a code, first to pm me will get it :)

edit- its for ps3

[quote name='scarhawk']I'm in the same exact boat!
Why is BB taking their sweet little time bring the damn trade in program down here to FL :([/QUOTE]
My guess is it hasn't come just yet due to 'Pawn laws' in the state. They have to have a pawning license in order to obtain trades/re-sell in Florida. They also have to hold product for so long. Being that its Florida, it might take a while.

Why is BB taking their sweet little time bring the damn trade in program down here to FL :([/QUOTE]

Don't know which part of Florida you're located at but we've had it here in Coral Springs for about a month now so maybe they'll get to you and Brenex soon

[quote name='lordopus99']My guess is it hasn't come just yet due to 'Pawn laws' in the state. They have to have a pawning license in order to obtain trades/re-sell in Florida. They also have to hold product for so long. Being that its Florida, it might take a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have traded in quite a few games in Ft. Lauderdale and I know for sure that stores from Boca Raton to Aventura accept trade-ins. It's not listed on their website but just go to the store and they'll do trade-ins. Because of the Pawn laws they'll get your right thumbprint, ID, blood sample, stool sample and what not..lol. I'm not kidding about the thumbprint though.

[quote name='ckim85']hello everyone, i cancelled my pre-order for ncaa 12 to get the promo.

edit- its for ps3[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened with me, I redeemed mine though.:D

[quote name='ckim85']hello everyone, i cancelled my pre-order for ncaa 12 to get the promo.

edit- its for ps3[/QUOTE]

Flying monkey is the winner!
Congrats

I'm completely dumb founded as how there are any laws that make FL different or make you do anything other then take a game in with some information seeing as how GAMESTOP HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS! You would think Best Buy would flex its muscle in this, sigh. At least there is some trading going on in FL, thanks for the heads up ya'll

i traded my 2 Child of Eden games. got back what i paid, doh. oh wells
i told him put +40% cuz i preordered, he said who said that, i said i dont know some guy. so he did it.
also he said to get another game with my ncaa football so i get a free one, i said doesnt that invalidate the preorder, he said nope. but idk he may be pulling stuff out.
i just went and canceled my game also. also have code if anyone wants it, 1st reply gets it.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Yeah I have traded in quite a few games in Ft. Lauderdale and I know for sure that stores from Boca Raton to Aventura accept trade-ins. It's not listed on their website but just go to the store and they'll do trade-ins. Because of the Pawn laws they'll get your right thumbprint, ID, blood sample, stool sample and what not..lol. I'm not kidding about the thumbprint though.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm in Orlando. I even called them up and asked if they do trade ins. She said w/ receipt only.

[quote name='htown01']I also cancelled my :ps3:NCAA 12 pre-order and received a code this morning. I have no use for it. PM me if interested.[/QUOTE]

PM sent!

[quote name='Evolved']I didn't even know you could trade in games at DE BBY's. I always go to Downingtown in PA. Quick and easy transaction every time.[/QUOTE]

The one next to Concord Mall does trade-ins (they just started a few weeks ago). I don't know about any of the other stores.

I usually go to King of Prussia or Springfield, never been to the Downingtown one.

[quote name='Velo214']i traded my 2 Child of Eden games. got back what i paid, doh. oh wells
i told him put +40% cuz i preordered, he said who said that, i said i dont know some guy. so he did it.
also he said to get another game with my ncaa football so i get a free one, i said doesnt that invalidate the preorder, he said nope. but idk he may be pulling stuff out.
i just went and canceled my game also. also have code if anyone wants it, 1st reply gets it.[/QUOTE]
Why would you think the 40% deal would invalidate the b2g1 deal? It was already confirmed on here.

dude i know 40% works fine with b2g1f, im just saying to be careful if going for preorder 5 get 100 rz $. and i wasnt even getting the game, he just suggested if i was to get another 2 games cuz 1 would be free. chill bro ;)

:X sorry for the 'false' information. At the very least it'll probably still be 'Trade 2 ... " next week when it goes live.

I'm still gonna check tomorrow once my Killzone 3 comes in. Will ask them again what the deal is. They better honor the 50% for me at least if the supervisor isn't there cause... that's what he told me straight to my face -.-

Yeah, I only got to a few BB's, but had some nice, knowledgeable CSR's at both I traded at, and they said the only current available promo they could find was the 40%. Got about $260 in credit, and managed to blow about $160 of that in between a few stores. Got some INCREDIBLE clearance deals with the B2G1.

[quote name='sgaldis']Yeah, I only got to a few BB's, but had some nice, knowledgeable CSR's at both I traded at, and they said the only current available promo they could find was the 40%. Got about $260 in credit, and managed to blow about $160 of that in between a few stores. Got some INCREDIBLE clearance deals with the B2G1.[/QUOTE]

Sgaldis, do you mind mentioning a few. I may go to another BB tomorrow that has significantly better clearance stuff than mine does.

Originally Posted by sgaldis
Yeah, I only got to a few BB's, but had some nice, knowledgeable CSR's at both I traded at, and they said the only current available promo they could find was the 40%. Got about $260 in credit, and managed to blow about $160 of that in between a few stores. Got some INCREDIBLE clearance deals with the B2G1.

I was told by an employee that B2G1 does not work with clearance games..not true?

[quote name='Toss']Originally Posted by sgaldis

I was told by an employee that B2G1 does not work with clearance games..not true?[/QUOTE]

Works on clearance, not sale prices or price matches (unless they override the price for you, YMMV).

[quote name='Toss']Originally Posted by sgaldis

I was told by an employee that B2G1 does not work with clearance games..not true?[/QUOTE]

Not true. The only deal I did involved 1 clearance title and it worked.

[quote name='Toss']Originally Posted by sgaldis I was told by an employee that B2G1 does not work with clearance games..not true?[/QUOTE]
Scanned many games that were marked as clearance for customers and B2G1F worked no problem.

Holy crap! Online trades are fucking miserable. Trade initiated June 2. Trade received June 9. Trade verified June 29. Gift card shipped July 12.

[quote name='imacgod']Holy crap! Online trades are fucking miserable. Trade initiated June 2. Trade received June 9. Trade verified June 29. Gift card shipped July 12.[/QUOTE]

They are, that's why I was surprised that someone said earlier that they hate that online doesn't get the bonuses. I'd recommend staying away from Best Buy online trades period.

The only reason I would trade in online to Best Buy is if I had a higher TIV locked in or the BB doesnt take tradeins in-store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back