Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MasterSun1']Why? You have every right as a customer to cancel your pre-order as it's part of their policy.[/QUOTE]

It's also in their policy that any item or deal combined with a purchase should be returned if item is returned. This includes promotions like the 50%

[quote name='Jimmienoman']It's also in their policy that any item or deal combined with a purchase should be returned if item is returned. This includes promotions like the 50%[/QUOTE]

A trade-in isn't a purchase. You go show me where in their policy is says consumers are not allowed to do this.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']I know this might've been answered before, but since it isn't on the first post: does trading in a handheld such as a DS Lite apply to the additional 50% for pre-ordering madden? Or do the bonuses only apply to games. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

no bonus on hardware trade in, at least not for the DS special anyway.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']NC is not strict, I live in Gastonia and do tons of trade ins at mine, I usually say if I dont want to keep the pre-order, print out the receipt, tell them I want to look around, they add the bonus, and I dont pre-order it as I leave.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks! I think I may make a trade or two. Having a bad itch for Deus Ex after deciding to skip over it. TO THE BEST BUY!

I'll see what I can do about the preorder, though. I have no other reasons to go to BB than to potentially trade stuff in, and I especially have less than zero interest in sports games. :whistle2:#

Edit: Has anyone had any discrepancies with TIVs between online and in-store? I tried searching the thread, but the CAG search function is nearly useless. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MasterSun1']A trade-in isn't a purchase. You go show me where in their policy is says consumers are not allowed to do this.[/QUOTE]You are allowed to do this, but it may not be the wisest thing to do. Why draw attention to yourself like that?

[quote name='MasterSun1']A trade-in isn't a purchase. You go show me where in their policy is says consumers are not allowed to do this.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. While yes, you are taking advantage of the company to some degree, they have to expect that some costumers will do just this to take advantage of their promotions. I live in MN so there is a BB like every 20 feet so it's nothing to trade in at one and cancel the trade-in at another (or even to just go back the next morning). Hell, if I'm not mistaken you can even cancel the pre-order after release day, just say you changed your mind. Don't quote me on that last part.

Either way, making a run tomorrow to get rid of a few games that most places don't even offer a buck for, and a few other titles that are worth more.

[quote name='orangecrush']You are allowed to do this, but it may not be the wisest thing to do. Why draw attention to yourself like that?[/QUOTE]

I didn't draw any attention to myself. I traded in my games at the gaming desk, pre-ordered Madden there, got my credit, walked over to customer service and canceled my pre-order with absolutely no issue.

[quote name='MasterSun1']I didn't draw any attention to myself. I traded in my games at the gaming desk, pre-ordered Madden there, got my credit, walked over to customer service and canceled my pre-order with absolutely no issue.[/QUOTE]

Although trading in at customer service usually takes a bit longer, I've been able to print out a pre-order slip at the gaming kiosk, and show it to the customer service rep to obtain the trade in bonus without coughing up the $5. Of course this all depends on the competency of the BB employee you chanced upon.

[quote name='MasterSun1']A trade-in isn't a purchase. You go show me where in their policy is says consumers are not allowed to do this.[/QUOTE]

If you've spent 5 minutes dealing with anyone at a best buy, then you know damn well that whether or not their policies say you can do something has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether BB will allow you to do something and/or ban you from the store for doing it.

Not the mention the fact that you may want to trade in other games and get the 50% still before madden comes out, so why not keep it and use it for that.

Does anyone know what state your items get sent to when you trade online? Or can you tell me how long it usually takes them to receive your item after you first mail it out?

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Does anyone know what state your items get sent to when you trade online? Or can you tell me how long it usually takes them to receive your item after you first mail it out?[/QUOTE]

For me, it took a week for them to receive my games. And 3 weeks to process and send out my gift card.

Does Best Buy take video game accessories? I've looked on their trade-in site with no luck, so I thought I'd ask here.

I have (all in great condition):
* Original Rock Band drum set
* Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Fight Pad
* Beatles Rock Band Limited Edition Bass Guitar
* Logitech Microphone

If not, what do you guys feel is the best way to get rid of these? eBay? Thanks!

[quote name='ironmenpb']Would best buy allow me to trade the same game( different systems) together?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Some BB are uptight and there is a clause that they can deny any trade at any time. Since they moved it to the gaming section and away from uptight store managers theyrelaxed on it.

By their standards it is 3 of the same game of the same system per year.

Just to let everyone know, look for Rebel Raiders Operation Nighthawk for the ps2. Its .99 at gs and it flips to bb for $5 (look under the WII section for the game on bb TIV page).

[quote name='ironmenpb']What are some games to buy at gamestop and flip to b.b for the 50% towards madden .[/QUOTE]

You can do like dabamus said in the Gamestop Sales B2G2F PS2 & Gamecube? thread and buy a lot .99 (.45 a game w pur) ps2 games and flip them to bb with the madden preorder adds 50% TIV.

I asked before but never really got a good answer.

Is there a place to direct an employee to if they don't know about taking disc only games? I want to flip some of PS2 games from GS but they are all disc only. I think this will be a problem with the people at my local Best Buy so I was wondering if there is something I could direct them. Thanks.

[quote name='Darkhate']You can do like dabamus said in the Gamestop Sales B2G2F PS2 & Gamecube? thread and buy a lot .99 (.45 a game w pur) ps2 games and flip them to bb with the madden preorder adds 50% TIV.[/QUOTE]

So if I buy 4 games at .99 cents b2g2f I spend $2. Flip them to best buy (.99 cents each. With the 50% I get 6bucks in return. "?

[quote name='ironmenpb']So if I buy 4 games at .99 cents b2g2f I spend $2. Flip them to best buy (.99 cents each. With the 50% I get 6bucks in return. "?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but as I said above some are giving $5 at bb (Rebel Raiders Operation Nighthawk)

[quote name='noone13']I asked before but never really got a good answer.

Is there a place to direct an employee to if they don't know about taking disc only games? I want to flip some of PS2 games from GS but they are all disc only. I think this will be a problem with the people at my local Best Buy so I was wondering if there is something I could direct them. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on the bb that as to what they accept.

[quote name='MasterSun1']I didn't draw any attention to myself. I traded in my games at the gaming desk, pre-ordered Madden there, got my credit, walked over to customer service and canceled my pre-order with absolutely no issue.[/QUOTE]I really should have done that at the first store I traded at. I mistakenly let the guy enter in all 100+ games at once. He had to enter in every game a second time (in batches of 30) after it timed out. The store is pretty far from my house and I don't know when I will be there again. After all was said and done, I ended up with just about $440 in BB credit w/ b2g2 $1 and $1.50 PS2 games. I don't think I will be trying to flip so many games at once again. It was a pain in the butt.

Oh, and I am sure I drew far more attention to myself w/ the huge stack of games than you did canceling your pre-order in the same trip.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']The Wii version of Rebel Raiders trades in for $5. The PS2 version trades in for $1.[/QUOTE]

Just notice that, the guy at the store gave me $5 on the 3 trade-ins.:lol:

[quote name='Darkhate']Just to let everyone know, look for Rebel Raiders Operation Nighthawk for the ps2. Its .99 at gs and it flips to bb for $5 (look under the WII section for the game on bb TIV page).[/QUOTE]
I think that is a pretty YMMV. They have a PS2 listing on BB.

[quote name='Darkhate']You can do like dabamus said in the Gamestop Sales B2G2F PS2 & Gamecube? thread and buy a lot .99 (.45 a game w pur) ps2 games and flip them to bb with the madden preorder adds 50% TIV.[/QUOTE]Some other OK flips: DJ Hero Wii and Sports Champions PS3 (dj 4.5 pur - 7) (sports heros (6.30 - 8)

[quote name='noone13']I asked before but never really got a good answer.

Is there a place to direct an employee to if they don't know about taking disc only games? I want to flip some of PS2 games from GS but they are all disc only. I think this will be a problem with the people at my local Best Buy so I was wondering if there is something I could direct them. Thanks.[/QUOTE]I would try to get the video game person to do your trade in. They know that disk only is OK. If that fails, I would have them look at the trade in website which does not mention needing anything other than the disk. You might say something like "I traded in a few games without a case to such and such store. The guy said he just had to look up the title because he couldn't scan it."

[quote name='ironmenpb']Games have to have manuals and original case? To trade to best buy.[/QUOTE]I traded in literally hundreds of disks w/o manuals and cases today at 2 different best buys.

[quote name='orangecrush']I traded in literally hundreds of disks w/o manuals and cases today at 2 different best buys.[/QUOTE]

Virtually all of the $.99 titles are early-to-mid 2000s sports games. I'm just curious if the GS employees said anything when you bought them by the armful. Also, did the Best Buy employee doing the trade-in actually inspect each disc? Sometimes they have a couple people in the trade-in area to help out, but I can't imagine how long it must have taken to check each game and then manually look it up in the system.

[quote name='winterlane']Virtually all of the $.99 titles are early-to-mid 2000s sports games. I'm just curious if the GS employees said anything when you bought them by the armful. Also, did the Best Buy employee doing the trade-in actually inspect each disc? Sometimes they have a couple people in the trade-in area to help out, but I can't imagine how long it must have taken to check each game and then manually look it up in the system.[/QUOTE]They gave them a quick glance. I actually went to 6 different gamestops and got 3 of every title I could (Science experiment or I am starting a store that sells only crappy old sports games) . I checked the disks before buying them so as to minimize the number of truly crappy copies.

[quote name='winterlane']Virtually all of the $.99 titles are early-to-mid 2000s sports games. I'm just curious if the GS employees said anything when you bought them by the armful. Also, did the Best Buy employee doing the trade-in actually inspect each disc? Sometimes they have a couple people in the trade-in area to help out, but I can't imagine how long it must have taken to check each game and then manually look it up in the system.[/QUOTE]

I bought 60 in one go at my closest GS and the manager watching me do it and ringing me out made a comment about being glad I was getting them out of the store. :p

God, I'd love to do this, but the sheer volume required to make it truly worthwhile is putting me off. I don't know when I'd have a whole day or so to devote to something like this in the next few days. I guess you could get close to 200 bs $0.99 cent games for about $100 in GS credit, then almost triple that in BB credit, but DAMN that's a lot of suspicious purchasing and trading in (not to mention a lot of legwork)! I would have to go way, WAY out of town to pull something like that off. Congrats, though, orangecrush, well done! :applause:

EDIT: you too, 'dab!

[quote name='sgaldis']God, I'd love to do this, but the sheer volume required to make it truly worthwhile is putting me off. I don't know when I'd have a whole day or so to devote to something like this in the next few days. I guess you could get close to 200 bs $0.99 cent games for about $100 in GS credit, then almost triple that in BB credit, but DAMN that's a lot of suspicious purchasing and trading in (not to mention a lot of legwork)! I would have to go way, WAY out of town to pull something like that off. Congrats, though, orangecrush, well done! :applause:[/QUOTE]

It's actually not that hard if you go to a store that has a shitton of PS2 games. The 60 I got in one go had one dupe out of them, and they all came from two of the red bins.

Yeah, it's more the trading in I would have trouble with. Not to mention, I haven't had to broach the 'disc only' trade in issue at the 4-5 main stores I've traded at, so I don't know how they'll take it. I imagine most of the 60 you got were just in a sleeve?

[quote name='sgaldis']Yeah, it's more the trading in I would have trouble with. Not to mention, I haven't had to broach the 'disc only' trade in issue at the 4-5 main stores I've traded at, so I don't know how they'll take it. I imagine most of the 60 you got were just in a sleeve?[/QUOTE]

All of the 120-130 I have bought so far have been in a sleeve.

I got around 105 or so unique games, and about 20-30 dupes. (GS has 114 different PS2 games in their system for $.99

Damn, I admire the devotion...good job. I definitely would have been all over something like this awhile ago, but now that I have my 2 year old son all morning/afternoon, that kind of running around is just not possible! I find myself searching for more and more flips online nowadays, or go out on the weekend when my wife has him.;)

[quote name='dabamus']It's actually not that hard if you go to a store that has a shitton of PS2 games. The 60 I got in one go had one dupe out of them, and they all came from two of the red bins.[/QUOTE]

Are they all labeled 99 cents or do I need to track down a list if I want to play this game :)

[quote name='DerClaw']Are they all labeled 99 cents or do I need to track down a list if I want to play this game :)[/QUOTE]

They are all labeled 99 cents. After I got a bunch, it helped in tracking down unique ones that a store printed out a list with skus for me that had all their 99 cent PS2 games. (and 2 test skus that were a penny and said "DO NOT USE" in CAPS for the game name.

[quote name='dabamus']They are all labeled 99 cents. After I got a bunch, it helped in tracking down unique ones that a store printed out a list with skus for me that had all their 99 cent PS2 games. (and 2 test skus that were a penny and said "DO NOT USE" in CAPS for the game name.[/QUOTE]

Well, I know if I do this, I'm going to have to go to Velo's BB. The ones down south know that they can take disc only, but would make a brick if I tried to actually get them to take 60 of them.

While it may be a pain in the ass for the person trading in games, would Best Buy ever kick you out of their store or give you trouble for bringing in a stack of old PS2 games (provided they accepted games with no case)? I want to do this but would like to avoid getting into trouble.

[quote name='ethwang']While it may be a pain in the ass for the person trading in games, would Best Buy ever kick you out of their store or give you trouble for bringing in a stack of old PS2 games (provided they accepted games with no case)? I want to do this but would like to avoid getting into trouble.[/QUOTE]

Some BB's will make a deal if they are all in GS sleeves for various reasons, and I presume some would just say they are not going to take the games because they are not going to take disc only for that many games, but I don't think you'd get banned or anything.

I'd say you have a 1 in 4 chance of just ending up with a big stack of PS2 games that you can't do anything with.

[quote name='sgaldis']God, I'd love to do this, but the sheer volume required to make it truly worthwhile is putting me off. I don't know when I'd have a whole day or so to devote to something like this in the next few days. I guess you could get close to 200 bs $0.99 cent games for about $100 in GS credit, then almost triple that in BB credit, but DAMN that's a lot of suspicious purchasing and trading in (not to mention a lot of legwork)! I would have to go way, WAY out of town to pull something like that off. Congrats, though, orangecrush, well done! :applause:

EDIT: you too, 'dab![/QUOTE]It was a total pain. I took a full day and a half day off of work to do it. I created spreadsheets showing which gamestops had stock in town. I keep track of how many of which title I had purchased (didn't want to risk going over 3). I spent at least an hour thumbing through massive bins of crappy titles and checked each disk I bought at each store. It was oddly thrilling. I can see how people could really get into things like extreme couponing and such. I look at what I started with (sold my PSPgo on amazon, and traded 6 games I won't miss to gamestop) and what I have now (an Infamous 2 ps3 bundle from amazon warehouse, 500 gb hard drive and external hd enclosure on the way + 150 in amazon credit + $15 Itunes card + $35 BB GC) and think that I would totally do it again. I am hooked and keeping my eye out for possible flips everywhere now.

[quote name='iRandom']with the pre-order thing, it says give to cashier to complete...what if I don't complete it? what'll happen?[/QUOTE]

nothing. I have never had to actually preorder. I just say I have some other stuff to get and will do the preorder when I check out.

[quote name='DerClaw']Well, I know if I do this, I'm going to have to go to Velo's BB. The ones down south know that they can take disc only, but would make a brick if I tried to actually get them to take 60 of them.[/QUOTE]I tried to make it as easy for them as possible. I brought half of the games I got from gamestop to each BB in a large cd sleeve case with 3 copies of each game on one "page" of the cd case and only one title per "page." So, they were able to do 3 copies of each title. Just be sure they don't add more than 30 or so games to the cart at a time or it will time out and they will have to start all over again (I did this at the first BB and I ended up being there for around 2 hours).

[quote name='DerClaw']Some BB's will make a deal if they are all in GS sleeves for various reasons, and I presume some would just say they are not going to take the games because they are not going to take disc only for that many games, but I don't think you'd get banned or anything.

I'd say you have a 1 in 4 chance of just ending up with a big stack of PS2 games that you can't do anything with.[/QUOTE]I figured worse case was that I ended up with a mad gamestop employee when I returned all the ps2 games I couldn't trade to BB.

[quote name='ethwang']While it may be a pain in the ass for the person trading in games, would Best Buy ever kick you out of their store or give you trouble for bringing in a stack of old PS2 games (provided they accepted games with no case)? I want to do this but would like to avoid getting into trouble.[/QUOTE]My advice to anyone wanting to try and flip a ridiculous number of games would be to try and maximize the number of disks and minimize the number of titles (get 3 of each game you can). It will make it easier on the best buy employee. Another thing that may help letting the BB employee know that when one buys a large lot of unknown games on ebay, what they end up with is primarily duplicates of crappy PS2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back