Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] Why do people always speak in hyperbole when talking about flippers? Many act like if you're a flipper you're automatically the reason X or Y store's deals went away.[/QUOTE]

Because it makes themselves feel superior and blaming a small group of people who work the system is so much fun.

I have a ton more respect for guys who flip 15 copies of a game and make 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than people who post on the internet how evil and corrupt people are for working the system. Mind you, this is the same system that is built by large companies who main focus is to make money. This is also companies that don't really pay their employees good wages. Why the double standard?

By the way, I bought two copies of FO NV CE. I still may or may not get a third for one of my brothers as a gift. I kept one for myself and traded in one copy at BB. I will probably ebay the stuff left over and get some paypal money. I too have had an extremely hard time spending GS credit. This was a nice say to convert over a little and get in on a good deal with otherwise worthless credit.

I personally would never attempt to trade 15 copies in but I would in no way pass judgement on people who do. Maybe they need the money, so what?

By the way, what is the mark up on HDMI Monster Cables?

people had been saying sw fu2 was a good flip for the past week. im still waiting on the 3 i ordered during amazon's b2g1f sale. i was slow tho and missed out on the ps3 and 360 versions til they upped the price n took it off the b2g1 promotion. but yeah, nothing new there...
also you dont get any rz points if you use giftcards/credit. they ask for my phone # and i say dont worry cuz i dont get points on it.

[quote name='iluvmywife']Because it makes themselves feel superior and blaming a small group of people who work the system is so much fun.

I have a ton more respect for guys who flip 15 copies of a game and make 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than people who post on the internet how evil and corrupt people are for working the system. Mind you, this is the same system that is built by large companies who main focus is to make money. This is also companies that don't really pay their employees good wages. Why the double standard?[/QUOTE]

Oh poor me, companies want to make money, :cry:

I ask you a question... Don't you want to make money? Exactly. What makes you any different from a company that wants to do the same...

Paying for employees... yes the front desk associate (with no college degree) is making close to minimum wage but the guys/gals working at home office, store managers, etc are making considerable more. If Best Buy (in this instance) wasn't losing money, they could afford to pay a higher wage to the low man. Just saying.

As for me and flippers, more power to you. But do realize that your "small group" (which is a lot larger than you make out; see sites like slickdeals and fatwallet) does affect future deals for others. As a companies lose money, it also starts to lose the deals that you and other people exploit.

Swapped my copy of FO:NV in along with 6 bucks for the newest Blazblue.

Really enjoyed New Vegas despite the bugs. Did 2 playthru's and will go back once GOTY edition drops. And like a true CAG, kept the mammoth guilde for New Vegas that was free when you bought the game @ TRU it's release week.

Bahahaha, this thread gets better and better, every time I check back it's like a new contender has entered the ring and it's some sort of flipping/morality royal rumble and people are getting smacked by chairs, etc.

Oh, and iPad 2 is totally worth it, so keep holding out for it. BB just likes to play games, so I would check on Sundays. They did the same exact thing during Wii and DS lite shortages.

fuck.. I got dressed ready to head out and checked the inventory checker one last time, and OOS on both :S Nearest one is around 8 miles and I bet they only have 1 or 2. Oh well, you snooze you lose. It's only $100 which is 10% of what I make off a great deal, but still

Hey, did you true flipmasters notice a similar opportunity at Target this week? They are doing a B2G1 on select titles, and SWTFU2 Wii is included for $19.99. $40+tax at Target into $75 at BB. I just noticed this tonight, and they only had 2 copies, so I passed on Star Wars, but I did manage to pick up 6 copies of SMAS Wii for $120+tax (it qualified for the B2G1, as well).

Op here.

I don't see how flipping is any different from say, day traders who play with stocks. You see a good deal or opportunity to make money, you take it. Buy low, sell high. It's Economics 101. Day traders sometimes affect how the market shares move because of the transactions, just like flippers might make some deals end quicker because they've altered supply-and-demand.

Sound to me like most of the people whining about flippers are either 1) people who missed a deal, or 2) too lazy to capitalize.

If a GS PUR member bought 3 copies of FO:NV @B2G1 for $10.80 per copy. Traded at $25 for a profit of $14.20. If you traded 3 copies, the profit is $42.60. If you played by BB/Dealtree's rules and traded 6 max, you made $85.20. Some stocks don't even move that much in years.

All that's gonna happen when this deal ends, BB will eventually have high volumes of FO:NV, so when the price eventually drops on this title, a lot of you will find a good deal on it at BB, and there will prob be a thread at CAG about it.

Flipping is a good way to spend your time, especially if you are making $60+/hr flipping while your "real" job only pays less than $20/hr. As a job or a hobby, at least be happy that they are sharing this information. I dont like the bragging, but partly its proof that "hey I did x many copies" which means that anyone could do close to that many themselves.

[quote name='confoosious']When Best Buy has a 1 game per platform limit, who do you think will be to blame?[/QUOTE]

You're worried about something that may or may not ever happen.

If BB wants to deal in used game business, they know they need to take in games so they have stock to sell.

BB didn't stop those coupon = free game glitches because a whole bunch of people took advantage of it. They stopped it coz they lost money as a result of the glitch. This would have been stopped eventually whether people hoarded it or not, they HAD to fix the loophole.

Funny story but somewhat unrelated. Walked into my apt's yesterday morning and saw a receipt on the floor. I thought this could have been one of mine or my gf's since we did a little shopping, but turns out it was a Best Buy receipt which someone had purchased Fallout: NV for $39.99 new. Glad to be a CAG, haha.

[quote name='bh47']You're worried about something that may or may not ever happen.

If BB wants to deal in used game business, they know they need to take in games so they have stock to sell.

BB didn't stop those coupon = free game glitches because a whole bunch of people took advantage of it. They stopped it coz they lost money as a result of the glitch. This would have been stopped eventually whether people hoarded it or not, they HAD to fix the loophole.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You're right. People who got 15 free copies of fairytale fights didn't raise any red flags.

I love the flipper creedo: if I wasnt a douchebag, someone else would have been.

Full disclosure here: I flipped 4 copies of Fallout New Vegas in the last couple days. I don't know if that's enough to make me a skeevy scumbag, but here's my opinion anyways.
If Best Buy decides to get out of the used game business, it won't be because a bunch of CAGs (myself included) took advantage of a great trade in value on a game that almost everyone has played at this point. They will be getting out of the used game business because there were several used games there last time I checked that were actually selling for more than you could buy it new. Not from a competitor. IN THE SAME GODDAMN STORE.
Put it this way. I don't know shit about no restaurant. All I know is how to sit down and order a meal. I don't understand how to make a restaurant. If I choose to buy a restaurant, and own it as a business, and I lose my shirt financially, whose fault is it? My own, for not understanding the business.
I agree that Best Buy won't be in the used game business for long, whether that's for good or ill remains to be seen.

[quote name='sgaldis']Hey, did you true flipmasters notice a similar opportunity at Target this week? They are doing a B2G1 on select titles, and SWTFU2 Wii is included for $19.99. $40+tax at Target into $75 at BB. I just noticed this tonight, and they only had 2 copies, so I passed on Star Wars, but I did manage to pick up 6 copies of SMAS Wii for $120+tax (it qualified for the B2G1, as well).[/QUOTE]
I certainly hope that's sarcasm I'm detecting in this post cuz since the reprint SMAS LE is worth all of jack and shit. Every store I've been to has had 6+ of them and they're just sitting there. So unless you have six nieces/nephews/friends you're giving those to as gifts your potential to make a buck on them is about nil at this point.:whistle2:#
[quote name='bh47']Op here.

I don't see how flipping is any different from say, day traders who play with stocks. You see a good deal or opportunity to make money, you take it. Buy low, sell high. It's Economics 101. Day traders sometimes affect how the market shares move because of the transactions, just like flippers might make some deals end quicker because they've altered supply-and-demand.

Sound to me like most of the people whining about flippers are either 1) people who missed a deal, or 2) too lazy to capitalize.

If a GS PUR member bought 3 copies of FO:NV @B2G1 for $10.80 per copy. Traded at $25 for a profit of $14.20. If you traded 3 copies, the profit is $42.60. If you played by BB/Dealtree's rules and traded 6 max, you made $85.20. Some stocks don't even move that much in years.

All that's gonna happen when this deal ends, BB will eventually have high volumes of FO:NV, so when the price eventually drops on this title, a lot of you will find a good deal on it at BB, and there will prob be a thread at CAG about it.[/QUOTE]
:applause: And thankfully every Best Buy I've traded at doesn't seem to take in the same horrible condition shit that Gamestop does. So those copies of FO NV will have to have been the creme de la creme to be traded in.

So it's a win-win for those buying them later on after a possible price drop in BB's used section. Although as someone else said they price shit above MSRP for the used section, so it could take a (long) while.

Update on my flipping progress : Total of 31 copies of Fallout: New Vegas and 1 copy Star Wars:TFU II, $800 BB giftcards combined. Let the haters start hating.

[quote name='blingbling123']Update on my flipping progress : Total of 31 copies of Fallout: New Vegas and 1 copy Star Wars:TFU II, $800 BB giftcards combined. Let the haters start hating.[/QUOTE]

That must have been a hell of alot of time and gas to get 31 copies ... I felt wasteful getting 4 copies of FNV and 2 SWFUII because I had to go to 3 different Gamestops. Either that or you live someplace where there is a bountiful supply of used games, Gamestops and no one else buys games ... .. ..

[quote name='etcrane']That must have been a hell of alot of time and gas to get 31 copies ... I felt wasteful getting 4 copies of FNV and 2 SWFUII because I had to go to 3 different Gamestops. Either that or you live someplace where there is a bountiful supply of used games, Gamestops and no one else buys games ... .. ..[/QUOTE]

It did take quite a bit of time, but I had nothing else better to do today. It was kind of fun too actually, like treasure hunting and finding the goodies. Fortunately I found copies at almost every stop. One store had 6 FNV which was a nice $80 flip due to the B2G1 free deal.

yeah i totally noticed that the other day. They were selling the used copy of some games (forget what, but it was a few) preowned for 34.99, new for 29.99. in the same aisle. lol. maybe that's why this will fail, not cags but lame business practices.

lol, i was wondering who the new moral police were, i hadnt noticed that avatar before. oh wait, it's confoosius. lol
i took him off ignore because he adds so much to threads ;)

[quote name='dino88']And when you received those facts you continued to talk about the price match, did you not?[/QUOTE]

275/282 were repsonses to specific CAG's statements more about general pm policy stuff no longer pm'ing the Fallout NV deal b/c I already said that I was wrong. I made a mistake damn don't know why people take CAG personal it's games have fun.

dino88
I'll leave it at this it's 9:44 pm my girl has on a tight t-shirt and vicky's booty shorts a$$ shaking Ali holding the torch so Ima spend this weekend phucking her brains out b/c that's what makes me happy. I hope you got someone there wit you so you can phuck their brains out b/c when it all comes down to it...PU$$Y or money? PU$$Y everytime in Philly, money fake it to you make it and/or be on your grind. Have a good weekend

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah. You're right. People who got 15 free copies of fairytale fights didn't raise any red flags.

I love the flipper creedo: if I wasnt a douchebag, someone else would have been.[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right, confoosious. Coz if everybody only got ONE COPY of Fairytale Fights during the coupon=free glitch then Best Buy would still be giving out free games to this day.

I don't know if you're just slow or live in some kind of alt reality, but either way the same number of "free" copies would have walked out of BB coz if the hoarders didn't get it, other CAGs would've gotten it anyway. The loss for BB would have been the same regardless and red flagged it. The deal was on CAG and SD, it was going to be SOLD OUT whether it was hoarded or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

[quote name='blingbling123']It did take quite a bit of time, but I had nothing else better to do today. It was kind of fun too actually, like treasure hunting and finding the goodies. Fortunately I found copies at almost every stop. One store had 6 FNV which was a nice $80 flip due to the B2G1 free deal.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully you took any bonus content code vouchers out of those used copies of FO NV to check on PSN/XBL later on and see if they're still valid, then sold those to make even more profit on this deal.;)

[quote name='blingbling123']It did take quite a bit of time, but I had nothing else better to do today. It was kind of fun too actually, like treasure hunting and finding the goodies. Fortunately I found copies at almost every stop. One store had 6 FNV which was a nice $80 flip due to the B2G1 free deal.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a lot of FO:NV. How did you manage to unload all those copies though? I thought that there was a limit of 3 per title and platform.

How much of your own money do you have invested?

Enuf - we need pix to prove it

oh n it's 3 per title per platform / per id and phone #
some people have multiple ids/phone #'s, and wives/gfs

[quote name='kalel603']Wow, that's a lot of FO:NV. How did you manage to unload all those copies though? I thought that there was a limit of 3 per title and platform.[/QUOTE]
I have a sneaking suspicion that even though corporate put a limit of three copies of each game per platform that it may have been only in writing and they didn't put in a limitation on the trade in system.

So if you get a cashier who doesn't do the game trading process very often and a manager not in the know, then you could possibly sneak in more copies than the limit allows.

Either that or since most office folks don't work weekends their system will catch up on Monday and he'll likely be banned from trading to them from here on out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have a sneaking suspicion that even though corporate put a limit of three copies of each game per platform that it may have been only in writing and they didn't put in a limitation on the trade in system.

So if you get a cashier who doesn't do the game trading process very often and a manager not in the know, then you could possibly sneak in more copies than the limit allows.

Either that or since most office folks don't work weekends their system will catch up on Monday and he'll likely be banned from trading to them from here on out.[/QUOTE]

Either that or Dealtree only handles online trades for BB, and the in-store trade is BB directly so there's no limitation. Might make sense for in-store coz why involve a middleman when it's not necessary? Just a speculation.

It's like how BB has online inventory that isn't sold in stores, it's warehouse only. The online stock for used games might be tied to dealtree trades coz they are not available for store pickup.

[quote name='Velo214']some people have multiple ids/phone #'s, and wives/gfs[/QUOTE]

LOL :applause:

Well I will try to post pics if you really want to see it. Went to a total of 6 best buys. Traded in 6 at 4 stores, 5 at another, and 3 at the last one. Net profit I will need to calculate, but around $400 sounds about right. Spent a few hours doing it last night and about 4-5 hours today.

[quote name='blingbling123']Update on my flipping progress : Total of 31 copies of Fallout: New Vegas and 1 copy Star Wars:TFU II, $800 BB giftcards combined. Let the haters start hating.[/QUOTE]

you're so cool! :applause:

[quote name='kalel603']Wow, that's a lot of FO:NV. How did you manage to unload all those copies though? I thought that there was a limit of 3 per title and platform.[/QUOTE]

The limit is 3 per title and platform like you say, but I had a good mix of ps3 and xbox copies, so 3 xbox copies/3 ps3 copies to make up the 6 limit per store. Currently I have 5 xbox copies still left to unload and zero ps3 copies, so I have to go to 2 different stores still(hopefully go to the same stores but a different clerk will take them).

Nothing better to do on a saturday??? Get a life man go out more

Originally Posted by blingbling123
Update on my flipping progress : Total of 31 copies of Fallout: New Vegas and 1 copy Star Wars:TFU II, $800 BB giftcards combined. Let the haters start hating.

[quote name='confoosious']you're so cool! :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, coz now he can buy a $800 TV for about $380 spent and some footwork and sweat, instead of bitching about how other ppl that can buy a $800 TV for about $380 spent and some footwork and sweat is a horrible person.

you're so cool! :applause:

He get a life? You're the one bitching about something that has nothing to do with you on a Saturday night. The man is set on basically whatever he wants. What about you?

[quote name='Coper3000']He get a life? You're the one bitching about something that has nothing to do with you on a Saturday night. The man is set on basically whatever he wants. What about you?[/QUOTE]

hahah 800 in BB gift card = hillbilly lottery!

Yeah, that's hillbilly :roll:. Just because you don't have the balls to do what he did doesn't mean you get the right to bitch and moan about it. He could flip that for an Amazon gift card and buy just about anything in the world he needs my friend.

"just about anything in the world."

lol

you do most of your shopping at the dollar store, don't you?

also love the "don't have the balls part." Like flipping is akin to being a fireman or something.

Thanks Cooper, you gave me a good laugh tonight.

[quote name='Velo214']
some people have multiple ids/phone #'s, and wives/gfs[/QUOTE]

Dammit ... I hate those guys who flaunt their multiple wives ... bastards, always stealing my deals ... and getting laid more too

[quote name='confoosious']hahah 800 in BB gift card = hillbilly lottery![/QUOTE]
Or he could buy 16 $50 Kindle gift cards and if he's in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax still he could get MORE for that $800 in credit.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Or he could buy 16 $50 Kindle gift cards and if he's in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax still he could get MORE for that $800 in credit.;)[/QUOTE]

oooooh a whole 800 in amazon credit. now i'm really impressed. Hell, with that, he can buy ANYTHING!

Hell, he probably could buy your car, IATTCG.

confoosious, don't you have something better to do at the moment that troll?

Other than the list in the Kmart thread, what do you contribute to the site? :/

What car? I had one like a year or more ago, but unless I lived in NY state that thing wasn't passing inspection here(PA) without a new floor being put in. So I took the $175 the one junk yard down the line offered for it and ran. Still ran like a champ though, which was the maddening part.

im at work, and this is amusing ;)
I'm surprised so many bb tivs have stayed $25 for so long.
confoosius is hilarious.-> " yeah get a life ya loser for flippin and making money all day. be cool like me and make fun of internet people." lol

cheapest i had a car that ran like a champ but i just couldnt get it to pass the emissions/safety inspections. i drove dirty for like 6 months but after 3 tickets for driving invalid whatev and like $300 in fines i got lucky and sold it to this guy for $500 no questions asked. lol

Hey confoosious, you should go hang out at your local BB cust service/Geek Squad counter and start lecturing ppl that come in with 3-6 copies of Fallout New Vegas about how they are gonna mess it up for you and everyone else. Doubt you'll actually stop anyone here from flipping with your whining, I mean, your WINNING (just like Charlie Sheen), so you might have better luck in-store.

[quote name='dabamus']
Other than the list in the Kmart thread, what do you contribute to the site? :/[/QUOTE]

What do you contribute except shady trades?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What car? I had one like a year or more ago, but unless I lived in NY state that thing wasn't passing inspection here(PA) without a new floor being put in. So I took the $175 the one junk yard down the line offered for it and ran. Still ran like a champ though, which was the maddening part.[/QUOTE]

And this is why IATTCG is a folk hero. Never takes himself too seriously. :D God Bless you, IATTCG, even if you are misguided sometimes.

bh47 - I seriously do have too much time on my hands. But that doesn't change the fact that people flipping 20 copies of a game and bragging about it are douchebags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back