Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']From what I've observed at best buys, manager never pay any attention to their employees. I bet you some bean counter noticed a huge increase in kindle gc sales. Then they dug deeper and saw 90% of the increase were bought with gift cards. Then they dug further and saw those gift cards were from trade ins.

BAM! Hammer comes down. Better get rid of your BB gift cards asap.[/QUOTE]

So what how they were paid for. Money or gift cards its the same.Like I said, if I just came in with $25 to buy a Amazon GC, what then? Does Best Buy get mad at me cause they didnt make any profit? Why even sell them in the first place if you are gonna turn around and then act like they are competitors.

does best buy price match receipts ? going to buy MK9 from Toysrus and price match at BB and use a gift card, will they price match the $30 from toys?

[quote name='Donut2922']Damn. This was bound to happen. I'm willing to bet an observant employee saw this from one of us CAGs switching the BB store credit to Amazon store credit and mentioned it to the higher ups.

Hopefully they don't crackdown on their own Trade-In policy since it's the golden goose because we have idiots here that want to flip 25 copies of a game.[/QUOTE]

They have probably known about it for awhile. The whole point in having gift cards (from the business perspective) is that it is money guaranteed to their business. If they allow you to switch that credit to iTunes, Amazon, etc. it defeats the whole purpose.

[quote name='Abeja']So what how they were paid for. Money or gift cards its the same.Like I said, if I just came in with $25 to buy a Amazon GC, what then? Does Best Buy get mad at me cause they didnt make any profit? Why even sell them in the first place if you are gonna turn around and then act like they are competitors.[/QUOTE]

money is not the same as gift cards. Everyone knows this. This isn't even like business 101, it's Shopping 101.

edit: what he said:

[quote name='life.exe']The whole point in having gift cards (from the business perspective) is that it is money guaranteed to their business. If they allow you to switch that credit to iTunes, Amazon, etc. it defeats the whole purpose.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']From what I've observed at best buys, manager never pay any attention to their employees. I bet you some bean counter noticed a huge increase in kindle gc sales. Then they dug deeper and saw 90% of the increase were bought with gift cards. Then they dug further and saw those gift cards were from trade ins.

BAM! Hammer comes down. Better get rid of your BB gift cards asap.[/QUOTE]

They might have but i guess it depends on how much digging they'd want to go through on their end. Us bean counters just book the entries. It was probably a management analyst if that was the case.

But I still think all it takes is one employee to put one and one together and just say something to his boss which eventually got conveyed to the higher ups.

I'm just catching up with this thread and overall i agree with Confusious. They made an error and said their plan is to void the GC and send replacements to everyone. The CS rep told me the same just 20 min. ago.

What's interesting is that my GC value is still current/valid since I verified my $12 value that was issued in error even though the rep said they were in process of sending one already. It looks like DealTree is leaving the GC values there for now unless they'll void it come Monday (1st business day). But if they don't I wonder if they're just going to concede it as a loss and comp us with essentially free gift cards and leave it alone.

Free $12 BB credit FTW!!!!! omgz!

[quote name='life.exe']They have probably known about it for awhile. The whole point in having gift cards (from the business perspective) is that it is money guaranteed to their business. If they allow you to switch that credit to iTunes, Amazon, etc. it defeats the whole purpose.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I was just wondering if it was due to us that prompted it. Members have openly admitted to exchanging $700 in BB credit to Amazon credit. Something of that size would alert the average employee. Discretion, much? :whistle2:#

I've PMed with receipts before but with BBY, it's always YMMV, even within the store, it may depend on who's on duty at that time

[quote name='confoosious']money is not the same as gift cards. Everyone knows this. This isn't even like business 101, it's Shopping 101.

edit: what he said:[/QUOTE]

No this is business. Best Buy is mad they arent making profit off someone.They gonna ban you from buying Itunes, PSN cards, or XBL cards too cause there is no profit? What about items on sale, stuff that I daresay Best Buy may lose money over?

Yeah money and GCs arent the same, cause the GCs are limited. But im trading in games and Best Buy is giving me a different form of payment, its just as good as cash. There shouldnt be some profit margin required on the stuff. They have the games I traded in, dont tell me what I cant buy instore when you willingly put Amazon gift cards in there.

[quote name='life.exe']They have probably known about it for awhile. The whole point in having gift cards (from the business perspective) is that it is money guaranteed to their business. If they allow you to switch that credit to iTunes, Amazon, etc. it defeats the whole purpose.[/QUOTE]

The money is still there. If I go buy a $25 GC with actual money, thats guaranteed money for Best Buy. If I take that same gift card and buy something that gives Best Buy no profit, then thats business. The only difference here is that I gave Best Buy what they viewed as $25 in video games.

Also, another point of gift cards is to give people an alternative to having to use a credit card or whatever and to get them to come to your store for it. Best Buy is not only getting me to come to their store and trade in games.

It doesnt defeat the purpose if you can switch credit like that. It defeats the purpose of selling them in the first place.

Imagine if you are a Kindle owner and get a Best Buy gift card for your Bday. O gee, cant use it on Kindle GCs? So you will be able to buy a Kindle with Best Buy gift cards but not Kindle GCs.

There ya go Best Buy way to be hypocritical. They really are one of the worst businesses. Im trading some games in today and Ill probably be done with Best Buy after that.

Wow fuck you both then. I thought maybe you would have something to say. Didnt no there was a sheriff in town.

[quote name='confoosious']Lol. Don't ever run a business.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Ill just study Best Buys tactics, they sure no how to take advantage of the dumb consumer. HEY got a $30 gift card! Buy this pencil that cost us $1 for 29.99 so we can make some profit please off the gift card.

[quote name='Donut2922']It's just our opinion but your position just wasn't fair and bias in your favor. That's all[/QUOTE]

Yeah no shit. Its my opinion. How do you even know? you stopped reading after the first 4 sentences.

So fuck you, go get your donut hole filled.

[quote name='coolrust']. most of their employees are Filipino and they're fucking disgrace to fellow Filipinos. anyways, go pacquiao!!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']really?

he's obviously using the word nation to represent a group of people that share a certain characteristic, e.g. Raider Nation.[/QUOTE]

flips? go pacquiao go raider nation!!!!!!

[quote name='Abeja']Wow fuck you both then. I thought maybe you would have something to say. Didnt no there was a sheriff in town.

Yeah Ill just study Best Buys tactics, they sure no how to take advantage of the dumb consumer. HEY got a $30 gift card! Buy this pencil that cost us $1 for 29.99 so we can make some profit please off the gift card.[/QUOTE]

Look, I'll explain to you what everyone already knows. And yet somehow you fail to grasp.

1) When a business sells you a gift card (and yes, best buy is really selling you a gift card when you trade in a game. They say "we'll buy your game for $22. But if you want, we'll sell you a $30 gift card for $22 cash), they are tying you to their store. You cannot spend that anywhere else. This is why business LOVE selling gift cards. That money is pretty much in hand for them because you can't return a gift card and they can count on that revenue. (Some states excepted where you can redeem a gift card w/ less than a nominal amount left for cash.)

2) They make money on either the margin that they would normally get with a sale. Or you forget/lose the gift card, then it's pure profit.

3) If a business allows you to swap out the gift card they sold you for a gift card to another business, they are negating the benefits of #1. (I've bolded it for you.)

[quote name='confoosious']Look, I'll explain to you what everyone already knows. And yet somehow you fail to grasp.

1) When a business sells you a gift card (and yes, best buy is really selling you a gift card when you trade in a game. They say "we'll buy your game for $22. But if you want, we'll sell you a $30 gift card for $22 cash), they are tying you to their store. You cannot spend that anywhere else. This is why business LOVE selling gift cards. That money is pretty much in hand for them because you can't return a gift card and they can count on that revenue. (Some states excepted where you can redeem a gift card w/ less than a nominal amount left for cash.)

2) They make money on either the margin that they would normally get with a sale. Or you forget/lose the gift card, then it's pure profit.

3) If a business allows you to swap out the gift card they sold you for a gift card to another business, they are negating the benefits of #1. (I've bolded it for you.)[/QUOTE]

Im glad you speak for everyone and that everyone already knows from the universal meeting held. No wonder Best Buy stays in business.

Where is Best Buy saying they will give me cash for my trade-ins? I only do it in store.

Dude i understand the fucking gift cards. I have a problem with Best Buy suddenly having a problem with people buying Amazon GCs that they decided to sell in-store (same with the itunes). Whether it be with a gift card or actual money, Best Buy is selling the gift cards. They are mad cause they want to make profit off people they give credit to cause they want me to spend actual money, not their money. what about PSN and XBL cards? I no there is no profit for PSN cards. They gonna be excluded too? And its money going back through their system. So dont act like Best Buy isnt counting it in their sales or making it sound wonderful to their stockholders.

What happens then to the person who can buy a Kindle with giftcards and cant get the Kindle gift cards?

This shows me that Best Buy doesnt think their decisions through and are greedy fucks. Im gonna trade in a couple games today, get my Amazon credit and be done with them.

You also fail to mention the profit they are gonna make off the games I trade in. Thats where they will profit.

Bestbuys price match and trade-in policies are fair. I respect it.

This is what happens to threads when people discuss ways to lie and cheat the system :D

hey guys, dont freak out if you already spent the cards or whatev cuz the girl didn't take my name or info at all and said they know they messed up and will void and resend all cards next week.

On another note, you guys got me scared. Im going to convert my bestbuy gift cards (from epic mickey legit flip) into kindle cards today.

I think we're getting a little jumpy here. I'm sure we'll hear about it if/when (likely when) the new policy takes effect. Granted, I might cash out soon myself too ;)

[quote name='Abeja']Im glad you speak for everyone and that everyone already knows from the universal meeting held. No wonder Best Buy stays in business.

Where is Best Buy saying they will give me cash for my trade-ins? I only do it in store.

Dude i understand the fucking gift cards. I have a problem with Best Buy suddenly having a problem with people buying Amazon GCs that they decided to sell in-store (same with the itunes). Whether it be with a gift card or actual money, Best Buy is selling the gift cards. They are mad cause they want to make profit off people they give credit to cause they want me to spend actual money, not their money. what about PSN and XBL cards? I no there is no profit for PSN cards. They gonna be excluded too? And its money going back through their system. So dont act like Best Buy isnt counting it in their sales or making it sound wonderful to their stockholders.

What happens then to the person who can buy a Kindle with giftcards and cant get the Kindle gift cards?

This shows me that Best Buy doesnt think their decisions through and are greedy fucks. Im gonna trade in a couple games today, get my Amazon credit and be done with them.

You also fail to mention the profit they are gonna make off the games I trade in. Thats where they will profit.[/QUOTE]

I refuse to shop at stores that try to make a profit off me. That's just bad business. Stay strong Abeja! These guys must all work for the Best Buy secret police. We no the truth. Best Buy has know idea about what we no.

I went to my local BB today to trade in the 2 for 60 promo and preorder Brink. After about 10 minutes I am told they can only take one of the game because its one I purchased there and they were able to look up a receipt for. The other game unless I could furnish a receipt for it they could not take it for a trade in. When did this shit start?

Needless to say I was pretty damn frustrated about it because it isnt mentioned on the website that you have to have a receipt for trading in games. Shit is fucking dumb.

[quote name='dino88']I refuse to shop at stores that try to make a profit off me. That's just bad business. Stay strong Abeja! These guys must all work for the Best Buy secret police. We no the truth. Best Buy has know idea about what we no.[/QUOTE]

Howd you get that out of my post? I mean the part sounds alittle like I say that but I really meant that it seems like Best Buy is mad they had to give out credit instead of me actual spending money to get their credit.

If I went in there and bought a $25 BB GC with $25, then bought a $25 Amazon GC, then its no different. Its pointless to waste time to buy the BB of course cause its an extra step for everyone but the situation is the same.

[quote name='Abeja']Howd you get that out of my post? I mean the part sounds alittle like I say that but I really meant that it seems like Best Buy is mad they had to give out credit instead of me actual spending money to get their credit.

If I went in there and bought a $25 BB GC with $25, then bought a $25 Amazon GC, then its no different. Its pointless to waste time to buy the BB of course cause its an extra step for everyone but the situation is the same.[/QUOTE]

wow dude. seriously?

You fail to see why best buy gives you more for your trade ins rather than cash because they want you to use gift cards in store as opposed to swapping it for amazon gift cards?

Are you seriously this dense?

Just converted my last $25 BB gift card. I asked an employee about this new policy and he had no idea what i was talking about. He said you can buy any items they sell in store with a gift card, including other gift cards. So take that for what it's worth. But i won't be surprised if and when they do change it.

[quote name='chuckywang']Can someone post the SKUs for the various Kindle gift cards? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

50 kindle
25 Kindle

[quote name='confoosious']Are you seriously this dense?[/QUOTE]

As Abeja's newly appointed spokesman, I can answer this question. Know comment.

[quote name='confoosious']wow dude. seriously?

You fail to see why best buy gives you more for your trade ins rather than cash because they want you to use gift cards in store as opposed to swapping it for amazon gift cards?

Are you seriously this dense?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about trading online, u can get cash? I trade in in-store. I dont see anything about cash, so no thats not what im talking about.

I was being hypothetical in that last post. If I go in with $25 and buy a $25 BB GC, then buy a $25 Amazon GC .even tho I could just skip the step of buying the BB GC, its the same thing that happens. Either they shouldnt have allowed Amazon to make their gift cards like that or Best Buy shouldnt have started selling them.

[quote name='dino88']As Abeja's newly appointed spokesman, I can answer this question. Know comment.[/QUOTE]

Lol love all the insults thrown my way too. I dont really get off by throwing insults at people over the internet as much.

So fuck you dino, confoosious, and Donut for stooping that low.

[quote name='Abeja']Lol love all the insults thrown my way too. I dont really get off by throwing insults at people over the internet as much.[/QUOTE]

I apologize.

[quote name='Abeja']Wow fuck you both then.[/Quote]
[quote name='Abeja']So fuck you, go get your donut hole filled.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Abeja']So fuck you dino, confoosious, and Donut for stooping that low.[/QUOTE]

dear abeja,
dont_feed_the_trolls_crop_340x234.jpg

Thanks

Holy shit the card I received inthe mail was $400 short. Someone just about got a free iPad if they got it by mistake.

God someone lock this thread, it's just incessant crying by you guys. Shut the fuck up already. Guys aren't even talking about what the thread was created for.

I traded in:

Killzone 3
The Sims 3:360:
The Sims 3:360:
The Sims 3:ps3:
Medal of Honor:ps3:
God of War Collection

For a grand total of $145 on a BB Gift card. They asked me for my phone number, work phone number, work address, my ethnicity, hair and eye color and I had to give a thumb print. It's kind of ridiculous. They will only take 3 copies of any game regardless of what platform you're giving.

I ordered 5 copies of Sims 3 from Amazon, 2 left that I'm gonna trade to GS towards LA Noire.

[quote name='hustletron']

I ordered 5 copies of Sims 3 from Amazon, 2 left that I'm gonna trade to GS towards LA Noire.[/QUOTE]

So you're trading in 2 sims (bought at $40 amazon credit) to trade in for $50 towards LA Noire at Gamestop. Which means you're paying $40 of amazon credit + $10 (credit or cash) for LA Noire at GS.

Why not just trade those 2 sims in for $50 BB--> Amazon Credit and $10 for LA Noire from amazon and get the $15 amazon video game credit?

Unless you really want the GS preorder bonus?

[quote name='Spyder187']I went to my local BB today to trade in the 2 for 60 promo and preorder Brink. After about 10 minutes I am told they can only take one of the game because its one I purchased there and they were able to look up a receipt for. The other game unless I could furnish a receipt for it they could not take it for a trade in. When did this shit start?

Needless to say I was pretty damn frustrated about it because it isnt mentioned on the website that you have to have a receipt for trading in games. Shit is fucking dumb.[/QUOTE]

You just had bad luck with the employee who helped you. The only time I'm required to have a receipt is if I don't want to give my thumb print, or if the equipment is unable to scan my thumb print.

I noticed the trade in prices of the *trade 3 for 60.00* games are all listed as 20.00 each online.

So I wonder if I bring 4 in store if I'll get 80.00

[quote name='confoosious']So you're trading in 2 sims (bought at $40 amazon credit) to trade in for $50 towards LA Noire at Gamestop. Which means you're paying $40 of amazon credit + $10 (credit or cash) for LA Noire at GS.

Why not just trade those 2 sims in for $50 BB--> Amazon Credit and $10 for LA Noire from amazon and get the $15 amazon video game credit?

Unless you really want the GS preorder bonus?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't planned on trading the 2 Sims copies to GS, either I missed it or it isn't stated on the BB website, but I attempted to trade 3 copies of Sims 3 for the 360 and 2 copies for the PS3 to BB for a total of 5 copies and a grand total of $195, but they will only take 3 copies period, regardless of platform. I can't trade any more Sims 3 to BB.

So to recoup from my semi-fail/BB's stupid rules I'm trading the last 2 copies to GS for the LA Noire credit, which I was already planning on purchasing for the preorder bonus through GS.

I'm also going to be trading Bulletstorm EE when the beta is over, which will be before the release of LA Noire. Probably to Best Buy. I also have a few other things to trade to GS.

There's a Toys R Us right next to the BB too I should have stopped in and checked if they had Ghost of Sparta for the PSP on clearance and traded that too.

[quote name='seanr1221']I noticed the trade in prices of the *trade 3 for 60.00* games are all listed as 20.00 each online.

So I wonder if I bring 4 in store if I'll get 80.00[/QUOTE]

you will literally get $80

[quote name='seanr1221']I noticed the trade in prices of the *trade 3 for 60.00* games are all listed as 20.00 each online.

So I wonder if I bring 4 in store if I'll get 80.00[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Also, side note regarding BB, YMMV, but I did still see some Bullet Storm Epic Edition copies in my Best Buy if someone is still wanting in on the Gears Beta and willing to pay for it.

[quote name='hustletron']I hadn't planned on trading the 2 Sims copies to GS, either I missed it or it isn't stated on the BB website, but I attempted to trade 3 copies of Sims 3 for the 360 and 2 copies for the PS3 to BB for a total of 5 copies and a grand total of $195, but they will only take 3 copies period, regardless of platform. I can't trade any more Sims 3 to BB.

So to recoup from my semi-fail/BB's stupid rules I'm trading the last 2 copies to GS for the LA Noire credit, which I was already planning on purchasing for the preorder bonus through GS.

I'm also going to be trading Bulletstorm EE when the beta is over, which will be before the release of LA Noire. Probably to Best Buy. I also have a few other things to trade to GS.

There's a Toys R Us right next to the BB too I should have stopped in and checked if they had Ghost of Sparta for the PSP on clearance and traded that too.[/QUOTE]

Go again. To a different BB if you need to. It's 3 per platform.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Just converted my last $25 BB gift card. I asked an employee about this new policy and he had no idea what i was talking about. He said you can buy any items they sell in store with a gift card, including other gift cards. So take that for what it's worth. But i won't be surprised if and when they do change it.

50 kindle
25 Kindle
799366658535[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about Best Buy SKUs, which are 7 digits long. Not UPC numbers. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back