Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trading in at 8:45 also and it took FOREVER. Was there until 930 just getting it done. Apparently the finger print scanner was botching up all day at the store.

Looks like I may actually trade in some 360 games to BB and pre-order Driver SF. Portal 2's still getting $20 which is better than I can do selling it used online now that AWD's priced it so low. The 40% bonus will help with some of these older games.

One question though. If I pre-order Driver SF now, will they still take the @Gamer Mag $10 off coupon when I pick up the game next week, or am I locked into the full price when I place my pre-order?

[quote name='bsmiff']Looks like I may actually trade in some 360 games to BB and pre-order Driver SF. Portal 2's still getting $20 which is better than I can do selling it used online now that AWD's priced it so low. The 40% bonus will help with some of these older games.

One question though. If I pre-order Driver SF now, will they still take the @Gamer Mag $10 off coupon when I pick up the game next week, or am I locked into the full price when I place my pre-order?[/QUOTE]

When u go pick up, give them the pre order slip and coupon. The $5 is like a deposit and dont have to payoff until ready for pickup. They can ever price match it if u can find it a lower price.

So where does it officially say someplace that Madden is $45 in store too? I mean when I go in to price match what should I show them because on the website it says it's an online only price...

[quote name='JKSonic']So where does it officially say someplace that Madden is $45 in store too? I mean when I go in to price match what should I show them because on the website it says it's an online only price...[/QUOTE]

Its YMMV. Some people were able to do it a few days ago.

It depends on your BB store. U can try to show them the online link, but they dont have to match online prices.

[quote name='The Punisher']Its YMMV. Some people were able to do it a few days ago.

It depends on your BB store. U can try to show them the online link, but they dont have to match online prices.[/QUOTE]

I was just asking because several people have said that it's now in-store too until the 3rd...

[quote name='The Punisher']When u go pick up, give them the pre order slip and coupon. The $5 is like a deposit and dont have to payoff until ready for pickup. They can ever price match it if u can find it a lower price.[/QUOTE]

Price match, really? I know TRU's offering it for $45 pre-ordered, wonder if they'll accept that. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='bsmiff']Price match, really? I know TRU's offering it for $45 pre-ordered, wonder if they'll accept that. Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

NP. It doesnt hurt to try. Do u know if your BB is cool?

[quote name='Arakias']Thanks! I only saw mention of it on this page right away so had to check.[/QUOTE]

On the run are ya? lol.. j/kin. I've never had to do it but it's been awhile and I'm in Ohio so idk.

Price matched Toys R Us no problem. Showed him the website on my phone and told him there's reports all over of TRU honoring the price in-store.

Spent $40 at BlockBuster, got $83(!!!) credit at Best Buy, and got Madden for $45... SWEEEET!

The 2 BB near me both know of the $45 TRU price and when asked by others they just did it without batting an eye. Didn't even have to produce any proof (assume it was because it has been done all day). But the 2 closest BBY around here are usually pretty relaxed.

Oh and they almost cater to flippers as long as you are semi upfront. 2 of the cashiers know I flip and tell me to limit it to 3 per title/console per day to keep it from tossing up a ton of red flags. They even laugh because they get compliments on getting a ton of trade ins for the store, but are supposed to try to turn away flippers... Seems kinda opposites.

I went to my least favorite BestBuy in Aurora/Naperville, IL and got shot down because of this silly new law where you have to have a BB receipt???? Had just stopped off at Blockbuster to flip a few games to them and got stopped at the door. Amazingly, went to Gamestop a few stores down to just checking TIV, and no receipts needed. I have a feeling that this may be a Best Buy thing. Looks like I'll have to go to another BB tonight where I live.

Ended up getting $53.20 for :360: Portal 2 and NFS:HP towards a pre-order for Driver: San Francisco. Much more money than I could've gotten selling them both used and I wanted Driver on release day anyway. Was a quick trip, no fingerprint scanning or BS like that. Just a cute girl and about 5 minutes.

[quote name='bsmiff']Ended up getting $53.20 for :360: Portal 2 and NFS:HP towards a pre-order for Driver: San Francisco. Much more money than I could've gotten selling them both used and I wanted Driver on release day anyway. Was a quick trip, no fingerprint scanning or BS like that. Just a cute girl and about 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised most CAGS are 1 minute men... Or pull a JD with an ariel assault

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I'm surprised most CAGS are 1 minute men... Or pull a JD with an ariel assault[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you that nobody is getting in and out of a BB trade in encounter in 5 minutes.

I went to a different one today and THREE people were doing the trade in: the first would enter it in, then two would watch a one of them spray cleaner on the disc and wipe it, then the next would inspect the disc (and thank god I did the thing where I trashed all the manuals before I took the games in), then they would discuss the quality of the game. Like each of the games took about 3-4 minutes to enter. Ridiculous.

[quote name='DerClaw']I guarantee you that nobody is getting in and out of a BB trade in encounter in 5 minutes.

I went to a different one today and THREE people were doing the trade in: the first would enter it in, then two would watch a one of them spray cleaner on the disc and wipe it, then the next would inspect the disc (and thank god I did the thing where I trashed all the manuals before I took the games in), then they would discuss the quality of the game. Like each of the games took about 3-4 minutes to enter. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Are you in my area? That's what they did with the PS2 sports games I took in the other day at the further store, at least so far as critiquing them goes. It was a pita, but I couldn't really complain since I was gonna make some decent profit for that transaction.;)

Today I went back to the 1hr store and other than having to wait for the gal to finish a trade and explain why she couldn't accept a 3DS, the trade was certainly smoother than the day before. Even better I did the Madden bump, and didn't have to buy the game. The girl gave me the game to go pay for at the front of the store, so on my way to pay I decided I didn't want the game and walked out. Sweet, now I don't have to return Madden #3.

[quote name='DerClaw']I guarantee you that nobody is getting in and out of a BB trade in encounter in 5 minutes.

I went to a different one today and THREE people were doing the trade in: the first would enter it in, then two would watch a one of them spray cleaner on the disc and wipe it, then the next would inspect the disc (and thank god I did the thing where I trashed all the manuals before I took the games in), then they would discuss the quality of the game. Like each of the games took about 3-4 minutes to enter. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I was making A bad joke on you saying a cute girl and 5 minutes later...

I get out in 5min most of the time. All the gaming rep asks if I know about the promos, I say yes, he takes my id and I'm good to go. I guess it helps that my info appears on their system in 4 different ways lol.

anybody know if i pre-order a game at best buy can i pick it up and use the 5 i put down at another best buy ? or return it to another one

the lady said yeah but i'm not sure she seemed kind of lets say touched by stupidity

[quote name='darkvulture']anybody know if i pre-order a game at best buy can i pick it up and use the 5 i put down at another best buy ? or return it to another one

the lady said yeah but i'm not sure she seemed kind of lets say touched by stupidity[/QUOTE]

I would think it would not work. Even if it did work, i'd be worried about it screwing up the 5/100 deal if you were intending it to do so.

[quote name='aircobra']When you go to pick up a pre-order they return the $5 and then ring the game up.[/QUOTE]

They dont refund, they do an "exchange". Even says that on the receipt. What the differences are in their system I don't know.

[quote name='DerClaw']I guarantee you that nobody is getting in and out of a BB trade in encounter in 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]
Except me, today. Hell, even with a pre-order I couldn't have been at the games counter for more than 5 minutes.

Traded in 3 :ps3: games with the 3/30% promo:
Singularity $11
Top Spin 3 $6
NHL 2k9 $2

Total came out to $24.7 and I went ahead and got an Amazon Gift card. This makes up rather nicely for :ps3: Top Spin 4 and :ps3: MLB 10: The Show that I purchased 2 days ago for $25.5 from Amazon.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']They dont refund, they do an "exchange". Even says that on the receipt. What the differences are in their system I don't know.[/QUOTE]

There is no difference. It's like when you bring in a defective copy of a game, yes you are exchanging it for another copy but you are still returning it. And since you can't buy the pre-order, it is getting refunded.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Forgot to ask the guy doing my trade in, but how do you pick up a game after you pre-ordered it? Do I need to keep my receipt until then?[/QUOTE]

yes you need the preorder receipt. apparently they dont keep track of preorder info in the computer :cry:

I traded in a bunch at a further Best Buy today. This location is so much better than the ones closer to me (especially since it doesn't require fingerprinting and pictures...). The manager doing the trade in was super nice and efficient, and was happy to take my 10 ps2 sports games. He didn't even check the quality of any of my discs, which was especially good since some of those ps2 games were pretty rough. I tried to get the 50% bump by purchasing Madden today but was denied and said it was for preorders only. No biggie, still a smooth transaction. I just wish the store wasn't nearly an hour away.

Just a decent flip to add to the PS2 ones that have been taking over. Dj Hero for the wii is 4.99, trades in for 7 at Best Buy, little tip for the GameStop PS2 runs.

[quote name='technicalstylez']yes you need the preorder receipt. apparently they dont keep track of preorder info in the computer :cry:[/QUOTE]

That's pretty ridiculous. Think I might scan mine at work tomorrow just in case.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Forgot to ask the guy doing my trade in, but how do you pick up a game after you pre-ordered it? Do I need to keep my receipt until then?[/QUOTE]
Keep the receipt. When the game comes out go to the store, pick up a copy and take it to the customer service desk.

Went in at 8:30pm trying to trade in a few STFU2 and was told the trade-in system was down at this store and the next closest, I sure hope that it wasn't because of prices being updated. I submitted the trade online to lock in the price just in case but I still really want that bonus 50%.

Having to save the receipt for a few months seems a little counterintuitive, but I guess I can't complain because of all the trade in promos they have going on. Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

[quote name='bjstucker']Where are the amazon cards typically[/QUOTE]

there should be a section of the store that has game and time cards, gift cards etc. it should be there. Ask a BB employee where you might find them if you can't. you could ask for "I'm looking to pick up some gift cards for things like farmville, runescape, imvu etc."

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I traded in a bunch at a further Best Buy today. This location is so much better than the ones closer to me (especially since it doesn't require fingerprinting and pictures...). The manager doing the trade in was super nice and efficient, and was happy to take my 10 ps2 sports games. He didn't even check the quality of any of my discs, which was especially good since some of those ps2 games were pretty rough. I tried to get the 50% bump by purchasing Madden today but was denied and said it was for preorders only. No biggie, still a smooth transaction. I just wish the store wasn't nearly an hour away.[/QUOTE]
The 50% bump is for preorders or purchase of Madden. If u don't want the game, u can just return it later without opening it. That's what I'm doing.

So has anyone personally been banned from trade-ins at best buy? I wasn't aware of the same address situation and me and my friend each do the limit 3 per title but since were at the same address that would make it 6 combined on maybe 3-4 different titles. Just curious from people who this has happened to?

So wait wait, preordering a game at BB doesn't actually reserve a game for you? I've only reserved 1 game there and that was a PC game that I never picked up anyway, only preordered it because it came with some special items (preorder was a box with codes)... Not that they run out of new releases often but seems kind of dumb. I mean if they have the store pick up option online and can pull your stuff for that you'd think they'd store the preorder info in their systems and pull your item for that too.

[quote name='cruzadel']The 50% bump is for preorders or purchase of Madden. If u don't want the game, u can just return it later without opening it. That's what I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

If too many people start doing that then they'll do the same thing to bonuses as they do with the RZ...make it so you don't GET the bonus until after the return period.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Having to save the receipt for a few months seems a little counterintuitive, but I guess I can't complain because of all the trade in promos they have going on. Thanks for the quick responses everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does. I did a preorder bonus a month ago with some trade-ins and now that I'm thinking about it, I have no idea where I put those receipts. Guess I have 2 more months to find them before the game comes out.

I'd have to think they would have some record of a preorder though, they entered info into the system so as long as I give them my name, they should find it.

If you don't have your preorder receipt, you can go to customer service and have them try to look it up for you. I've done this in the past. They can use your credit card number or rewards zone number (I forget which... maybe both) to look at your past purchases. I don't know how far the history goes, but they went back a week or two for me and just re-printed the receipt.

I'm sure some of us don't WANT them to be able to go back through our purchase history... but it's possible nonetheless haha.

Probably been asked but I dont care: I am gonna go to best buy and trade in some games, can I do the madden 12 deal and then just return the game later for my credit? Already have madden from Amazon pricematching toys r us for me, but I wanna get some credit for upcoming releases.

[quote name='merchie89']Probably been asked but I dont care: I am gonna go to best buy and trade in some games, can I do the madden 12 deal and then just return the game later for my credit? Already have madden from Amazon pricematching toys r us for me, but I wanna get some credit for upcoming releases.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can. At least when I picked up my pre-order the blueshirt took out this dremel tool kit and drilled a little hole in the disc. He said it would not harm gameplay, but they do that to prevent returns of pre-orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back