Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hiamiyumi']I have 3 UMD games without cases and manuals. Do they accept the trade?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

They took my SOCOM PS3 game from the case and took the DISC only, no manual even. It had the NOT FOR RESALE on it. I was surprised, I was like "Do you want the manual". "Nope"

[quote name='hiamiyumi']I have 3 UMD games without cases and manuals. Do they accept the trade?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

my best buy said i have to have case and the cover slip. dont remember if they said manual also.

If you have the brochure for the Unlocked program, does it list that the 10% is on top of base+bonus? I do not have mine in front of me so I cannot tell you myself. The trade should go like this: Base + (50% x Base) + (10% x Base) = Total. Assumption is that you are getting the GoW3 bump and you have Unlocked bump.

Here is a hint when doing your trade in. If you can convince the employee to just apply the bonus promos then you do not have to actually preorder anything. There is no system check to verify you are actually fulfilling the bonus requirement other than the employee manually clicking a box. So if you can convince him/her that you already have it preordered then you will not have to create a new one just to have to cancel it later.

I am glad the first post has: !!! Promotions available in stores only, and no, they DO NOT stack !!! on the very first line. If we could add a wiki to answer a bunch of these FAQs.

The +10% TIV is based on the base value of the game so if you're trading in $100 worth of stuff Unlocked nets you another $10. Like others have said, just like GS. I did some trade-ins today and this is how it worked every time.

People talking about bugs with the system though I traded some stuff in yesterday and after promos it was supposed to be about $230 but the system was ready to give me $1200. Needless to say I didn't not walk out with a $1200 GC.

Also I ended up doing a trade-in for a CAG today. He kept listing off all the promos and asking what I guess i would consider 'CAG-like questions'. He was also trading in a handful of PS2 copies of Madden so it was brutally obvious to me.

[quote name='musicjunkie']The +10% TIV is based on the base value of the game so if you're trading in $100 worth of stuff Unlocked nets you another $10. Like others have said, just like GS. I did some trade-ins today and this is how it worked every time.

[/QUOTE]

Do not take this the wrong way....Are you a best buy Employee or manager??

I ask because I bought the club as it was 10$ trade in on top of the total amount and it was clearly explained that that means base + bonus then + 10% on that total. I have traded in a few times already and it worked exactly that way and the way I was promised.

I have a hard time with people putting something different as FACT as I was nice and said YMMV. Because I know for a fact It works that way for me and my store supports it that way.

[quote name='JungleRot']Do not take this the wrong way....Are you a best buy Employee or manager??

I ask because I bought the club as it was 10$ trade in on top of the total amount and it was clearly explained that that means base + bonus then + 10% on that total. I have traded in a few times already and it worked exactly that way and the way I was promised.

I have a hard time with people putting something different as FACT as I was nice and said YMMV. Because I know for a fact It works that way for me and my store supports it that way.[/QUOTE]

I got the trade bonus just on the base values on Monday. I will see how it goes today but it does not make any sense for it to be on top of the bonuses as that is not the way any other trade-in program works. Did they manually apply the bonus for you in some way? If so, they may have thought it worked that way and calculated it that way, but that's not the way it works automatically from what I (and others) have seen.

Like I said, though, I'm going out to do a trade now at a different store - I'll see if they are any different. It is always possible different stores are set up differently, though that would be rather odd.

[quote name='JungleRot']Do not take this the wrong way....Are you a best buy Employee or manager??

I have a hard time with people putting something different as FACT as I was nice and said YMMV. Because I know for a fact It works that way for me and my store supports it that way.[/QUOTE] I'm not a manager.

The trade-in receipt I have states this
Sports Champions
Value:$4
Promo Value:$2 (Gears 50% bump)
Reward Zone Gamer's Club Unlocked:$.40
Value/Card:6.40

Not sure where you are getting the +10%TIV off the post-promo total from. Unless the system is broken (which is totally possible after hearing and seeing for myself gift card values totaling higher than they should) or maybe its a state to state YMMV thing. Every trade-in I've personally handled or when I actually traded in did 10%+ off of the base.

Also I'm not saying you're wrong it's just I have not seen it work like that. There is also really no way of 'doing it wrong'. There is a check box, you check it off, enter the person's RZ # and it shows on that same line what the 10% works out to. 8/8 times the line has just listed the +10% off the base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think they will extend the 50% till next week for the release week like they did with Madden and NCAA since this is a high profile release?

[quote name='boogie4114']Does anyone think they will extend the 50% till next week for the release week like they did with Madden and NCAA since this is a high profile release?[/QUOTE]

Probably. 50% with purchase of GoW3. That way you have to pay the $64 for it.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

completely ymmv

They did extend Madden 12 and yeah I do hope that they do. Guess we'll have to wait and see

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Does the 10% bonus apply the trade in of handhelds?[/QUOTE]

no just videogames

outta curiosity and I'm sure this has probably been asked

but can you later cancel your Gears 3 preorder and get your $5 back even if you did it in conjunction with a trade-in?

[quote name='buckythekat']outta curiosity and I'm sure this has probably been asked

but can you later cancel your Gears 3 preorder and get your $5 back even if you did it in conjunction with a trade-in?[/QUOTE]

It should probably be explained that the trade-in application and POS in which your pre-order is rung out are completely separate. There is no way of seeing 'oh the credit applied to this pre-order was trade-in credit in which a promo was applied.' It just shows that you paid $5 for something.

[quote name='io']I got the trade bonus just on the base values on Monday. I will see how it goes today but it does not make any sense for it to be on top of the bonuses as that is not the way any other trade-in program works. Did they manually apply the bonus for you in some way? If so, they may have thought it worked that way and calculated it that way, but that's not the way it works automatically from what I (and others) have seen.

Like I said, though, I'm going out to do a trade now at a different store - I'll see if they are any different. It is always possible different stores are set up differently, though that would be rather odd.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why or how but hey I am not going to question it though, at least not at my store ;). I do wish it worked for everyone that way though and do find it very strange that it does not.

I don't have anything to trade left but I hope in the future it works the same way for me. I will have to see.

to musicjunkie :

Sorry if I came off badly.
I was just hoping for it being a mistake for other people at other locations so they could possibly get it the same as I am and/or maybe have a shot at it.

I was on the edge for getting the new gamer club but this (how it was explained and has worked for me) is what put me over the edge on investing in it.

I hope they extend the Gears 2 bonus for a couple of days, since I'm waiting for a friend to get Bulletstorm back to me so I can dump it for $17 n change after the promo n 10% for GCU.

for the Gears extra 50% promo, how does that work? like if i trade in stuff with a base value of 100 or 200, will i get an extra 50% on that? (plus extra 10% base for the Gamer Card unlocked)

since Gears 3 will be just $60

just curious before i take a bunch of stuff in tomorrow

[quote name='aznhero913']Does your "unlocked" membership info pull up when trading in thereby giving the cashier an option to add the 10% bonus?

I'm trading in some games today and submitting the unlocked coupon I got in the mail so the answer would be really helpful.

TIA.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late response. To be honest I have no idea. The guy helping me signed me up that day and just applied it. So obviously I didn't have anything physical to prove I was Unlocked, but the system let him apply the +10% (of base).

They didn't need my receipt to prove I pre-ordered Gears though. That was all in the system and they just used my phone number for everything.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Guys, remember when i walked out with $708?
I just walked out with $1225.
$779 Base[/QUOTE]

Do you roll in a crate of games or something? I wish I could see their expression when 1) they have to tag every game you are trading in and 2) when they have to process a trade in that huge

[quote name='jbz']Do you roll in a crate of games or something? I wish I could see their expression when 1) they have to tag every game you are trading in and 2) when they have to process a trade in that huge[/QUOTE]
Haha. Nah it was no more than 40 games ;)

[quote name='jbz']Sorry for the late response. To be honest I have no idea. The guy helping me signed me up that day and just applied it. So obviously I didn't have anything physical to prove I was Unlocked, but the system let him apply the +10% (of base). [/QUOTE]
After you sign up for Unlocked its attached to your RZ account. Atm we can only add by RZ # and if you've lost your card we can look up your member number. The system will actually let us know if you're Unlocked or not. The stickers (which are supposed to be sent out at some point) really won't do anything at the moment but I assume they will work that in as an option at some point.

[quote name='JungleRot']
Sorry if I came off badly.
I was just hoping for it being a mistake for other people at other locations so they could possibly get it the same as I am and/or maybe have a shot at it.[/QUOTE]
All good. Trying to help. Unlocked info wasn't relayed to the employees or customers very well so just doing what I can to save you guys time once you get in there.

[quote name='Link127']for the Gears extra 50% promo, how does that work? like if i trade in stuff with a base value of 100 or 200, will i get an extra 50% on that? (plus extra 10% base for the Gamer Card unlocked)

since Gears 3 will be just $60

just curious before i take a bunch of stuff in tomorrow[/QUOTE]
Yup you got it. Trade in 100 bucks worth of stuff, pre-order Gears 3 for an extra 50% ($50) and if you sign-up for Unlocked it's 10% on top of that. Still seems to be some debate on if its 10% off the base or after the promo. Everything I've seen has been off the base. So an extra 10%($10) and you'd be looking at $160. If you wanted you could pay for both the Unlocked and pre-order with that credit and you'd end up with about $140.

musicjunkie, can you see trade-in history while you are processing a trade? just wondering ;)

Also, will we be able to just give our phone number like a regular checkout. Last time i traded they needed my RZ number. I thought it was strange.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Guys, remember when i walked out with $708?
I just walked out with $1225.
$779 Base[/QUOTE]

Are they all flips? If so, how much did you invest into the $1225 flip? I don't care that you're flipping, I'm just curious. Wanna compare ;p

[quote name='mattcube64']Are they all flips? If so, how much did you invest into the $1225 flip? I don't care that you're flipping, I'm just curious. Wanna compare ;p[/QUOTE]

All flips invested about $450-$500

[quote name='mattcube64']Are they all flips? If so, how much did you invest into the $1225 flip? I don't care that you're flipping, I'm just curious. Wanna compare ;p[/QUOTE]

Awesome, another "who has a bigger dick" situation. Sign me up baby! I had $455 magically turn into $790.40 after my trade-ins on Sunday and Monday(both with unlocked). I'm curious where and what games you bought for the flip as I am saving for a Sony HX820. How 'bout it? 'Wana hook me up, both of you?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']All flips invested about $450-$500[/QUOTE]

Damn nice, man. Good work! ... So long as you're not whoring out the final selection of titles that real gamers are looking for ;p

I can't really invest on that scale, unfortunately. That said, I turned $90 into $254 on Monday. Thank you eBay, BBV, and PS Move Heroes.

[quote name='confoosious']I turned a paper clip into $12,400 of best buy credit! Lose Weight Now. Ask me How![/QUOTE]

HOW?!?!?

I MUST KNOW! :hot:

[quote name='musicjunkie']
Yup you got it. Trade in 100 bucks worth of stuff, pre-order Gears 3 for an extra 50% ($50) and if you sign-up for Unlocked it's 10% on top of that. Still seems to be some debate on if its 10% off the base or after the promo. Everything I've seen has been off the base. So an extra 10%($10) and you'd be looking at $160. If you wanted you could pay for both the Unlocked and pre-order with that credit and you'd end up with about $140.[/QUOTE]

thanks! already have Unlocked, just didnt get my sticker yet

[quote name='Japakneez']
Also, will we be able to just give our phone number like a regular checkout. Last time i traded they needed my RZ number. I thought it was strange.[/QUOTE]

you can always print out another RZ card on the site if you need to, just did it myself

[quote name='mattcube64']Damn nice, man. Good work! ... So long as you're not whoring out the final selection of titles that real gamers are looking for ;p

I can't really invest on that scale, unfortunately. That said, I turned $90 into $254 on Monday. Thank you eBay, BBV, and PS Move Heroes.[/QUOTE]

how the heck do you guys figure out what to flip lol? good job though

Actually Red paper clip is exactly how im trading on the scale of so much.
Last trip i made $708 (Constant Flips never OOP)
took $500 of that made in $1200+

If i can get there friday that one will be another $550 from credit $832 base and after promos $1331
:)

I asked my Best Buy about the sticker for "Gamer Zone Unlocked" and he had no clue what I was talking about but reassured me that it would be noted on my account I was part of the program so I didn't need to worry about it.

was going to trade some games for Gears 3, ? Do they give you tax credit like Gamestop? So say you trade in 60 worth of games for Gears, is it an even trade like Gamestop? Or does BB cheese you out of the tax credit like I figure they would?

Got back from doing my trades - different store and still got the 10% on the base values plus 40% for preordering Kirby Mass Attack.

[quote name='tightclaws']was going to trade some games for Gears 3, ? Do they give you tax credit like Gamestop? So say you trade in 60 worth of games for Gears, is it an even trade like Gamestop? Or does BB cheese you out of the tax credit like I figure they would?
__________________[/QUOTE]Wait, are you asking that after you've traded in $60 worth of games for Gears of War 3, will you have to pay tax on it? Cause the answer is yes.

[quote name='tightclaws']YeaH at GS you don't payextra because they credit the $60 worth of trades with the same amount of tax when you put it towards a game/games.[/QUOTE]Well depending on what your trading to BB, you should be getting more than $60 worth of credit and could probably pay for the game w/ tax upfront anyways. Your getting a 50% trade-in bonus when you pre-order Gears 3. I don't think paying for tax is such a big deal.

[quote name='Japakneez']musicjunkie, can you see trade-in history while you are processing a trade? just wondering ;)[/QUOTE]
Nothing that I've seen. When we look up your info by phone number the only info we see is previous info that was entered if you're traded in before. Probably like that so it can't be tampered with.

[quote name='Japakneez']
Also, will we be able to just give our phone number like a regular checkout. Last time i traded they needed my RZ number. I thought it was strange.[/QUOTE]
Nothing yet but the application is still pretty bare bones. I hope/assume they will add this around the time these stickers go out or atleast an easier way of confirming your RZ Unlocked.

If you have no idea what your RZ # is you can
1)Ask the employee if you can log-in and get it for them
2)Do the 'print replacement card' at myrz.com
3)Have them look it up under a application called CCM which has all your info/purchase history.

[quote name='nakanenui']Must be nice not having to pay tax on credit purchases in your states. Here is CA it is ~9% even if you use credit.[/QUOTE]

7.6% down in the OC

hoping they do this with NBA 2K12 or Rage. I already have Gears preordered at Amazon with the $20 promotion. 50% would get me $56 for NCAA football 12 basically a 2 month rental for 4$

Just traded a bunch of stuff in to get Dead Island (ended up having to get Kindle cards and order it off amazon). Anyway, some insane deals with the 30% bonus. I bought FO:NV there when it was $10, got $9.10 back out of it. Got Lego RB for $7.50, got $7.80 back.

1. If you preorder online and pay 60 down would you still pay tax.(i think tax is applied after deducting preorder deposit from game value)
2. Scenario: You buy a game for roughly $65.40 after tax (NYC - about 9%) and the game goes on sale within 30 days at a competitor for $50 before tax. Do they give you (60-50) $10, (65.40-54.50) $10.90 or some other amount?
3. Do kindle cards come in denominations lower than $50 at best buy?

[quote name='Raiborg']1. If you preorder online and pay 60 down would you still pay tax.(i think tax is applied after deducting preorder deposit from game value)

3. Do kindle cards come in denominations lower than $50?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes still pay tax

2. They will rering it up as if you paid the PMed price. So you will get some tax money back also.

3. Yes they come in $25 and $50

[quote name='musicjunkie']Nothing that I've seen. When we look up your info by phone number the only info we see is previous info that was entered if you're traded in before. Probably like that so it can't be tampered with.
[/QUOTE]

musicjunkie
If you can only see personal info but not trade history, then how can you guys know if we exceed the 3 limit per game or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back