Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to note, if anyone was curious about games without UPCs, it's no big deal. I traded in GH:WT which came with the guitar bundle and they had no real problem finding the title. I wrote down the correct number in case.

Also, before I took it I asked CS online and they said it was fine all they needed was the disc itself, but I believe that was for shipping it online.

After reading the past 3 pages I am still kind of confused. I signed up for @gamer magazine subscription on 8/29. This was before the "Gamer Unlocked" was out. I got my September issue in store and have yet to receive my first mail subscription (obviously) Since I purchased the mag subscription before the program was out, can I get upgraded to Unlocked? I still have my receipt. I am also a Premier Silver or w/e Rewards member.

Sorry guys!

Im gonna be the asshole who says this. There is an ENTIRE SEPARATE Thread that's ALL about the unlocked program. Can we stop with the questions here?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Im gonna be the asshole who says this. There is an ENTIRE SEPARATE Thread that's ALL about the unlocked program. Can we stop with the questions here?[/QUOTE]

I did post a response, but I will gladly post in the correct area. No need for BOLDED TEXT. I get the message ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DudeImGodly']You had to be subbed before. The magazine with the September coupons came with the coupon.

In other words, no it's not automatic. It never was, and im pretty sure no one here ever said it was.[/QUOTE]

I never said anyone mentioned it was automatic, just I thought it would be. Silly of me to think it would go smoothly being BB and all.

Well, time to contact CS and see what happens

Yeah, there is a whole separate thread for this. Plus was it really that hard? Its as simple as you go in, ask to subscribe to the rz unlocked program. Give them your driver license so they dont fuck up. I verify always that they have my correct address and email and such so I would get my mags and whatever else. Pay the man the 14.99 plus tax(gamestop doesnt charge tax on subscriptions I dont think) and voila. Got my 10% bonus and got my introduction email the next day. Note to people who got screwed by an imcompetent employee, I guess youre screwed lol

does anyone know if they have lowered the trade value of deus ex in the last week? i went to best buy on sunday and its said 40 bucks trade in with the 40% extra towards pre orders. but with the 34.99 sales recently they might have dropped it.

[quote name='jcwkings']does anyone know if they have lowered the trade value of deus ex in the last week? i went to best buy on sunday and its said 40 bucks trade in with the 40% extra towards pre orders. but with the 34.99 sales recently they might have dropped it.[/QUOTE]BB has it's own trade-in estimator: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

And Deus Ex is currently worth $24 for both PS3 and 360. So with a 50%-60% trade-in bonus, you're looking at $36-$38.40 for it.

[quote name='mattcube64']See if your GS has any Trackmania Build to Race titles for Wii. Easy $4 -> $16.50 flip if your store has them.[/QUOTE]

I don't even see this title on the trade in estimator. Does anyone else?

[quote name='dudeimgodly']im gonna be the asshole who says this. There is an entire separate thread that's all about the unlocked program. Can we stop with the questions here?[/quote]

pm!

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I see a Trackmania for the Wii but not Trackmania Build to Race. I checked the SKU's and they don't seem to match.. ?[/QUOTE]Just from some minor digging around it looks like only one Trackmania game was ever released for the Wii. So I'd assume Build to Race is it. At least I hope so, the GS by me had some in stock and I planned on picking a couple up.

It is the only trackmania game for the Wii, so if by some chance they have to look it up it should be fairly obvious that their system just doesn't seem to have all the possible UPC's listed. Not to mention, the system BB uses is not 100% identical to the site. If there were like 8 Trackmania Wii games there would be an issue for sure, but with it being the only one I imagine any competent employee will be able to put 2 and 2 together, especially if you are standing there telling them the answer is 4 (or I guess in this case $10).

can you trade in two copies of the same game at the same time? i have two fallout new vegas from the 1 cent amazon deals.

[quote name='jcwkings']can you trade in two copies of the same game at the same time? i have two fallout new vegas from the 1 cent amazon deals.[/QUOTE]

Yes. You could trade 3 copies of the PS3 and Xbox360 version (6 total) at one trade in. Obviously the more copies you have the more scrutiny you may face though. If you know your trade reps pretty well they are cool about it.

[quote name='jcwkings']can you trade in two copies of the same game at the same time? i have two fallout new vegas from the 1 cent amazon deals.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but what is the 1 cent amazon deal?

Well I finally was able to move the rest of my GS credit over to BB. I did not really make anything off it but I just wanted to be done with GS. The first one I went to the manager is trying to talk this guy out of cancelling his preorder for the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (which are awesome games but that is not the point) EVEN after the guy tells him he dropped $500 the day before. The manager goes on and on about quintessential gaming experiences and that as "someone in the industry" he owns all 3 systems because it is required to be successful. I am not poo poo retailers but the idea that GS employees are "someone in the industry" was pretty annoying to me. Ask any publisher and they would wish GS dead.

Anyway, my trade at BB went smooth as always. Used the 30% for the trade 3 (I already order GOW3) and 10% unlocked bonus. Only one thing that has me concerned was that my account still does not show it is unlocked...even though I used my coupon on Monday. The guy was cool and did it manually though. He actually messed up and put both the DS and Wii versions of a game on my trade but I did not notice until I was leaving. I went back and showed him because the last thing I want is them to get in trouble since they treat me good there. He was like no worries I will take care of it and keep the credit. Anyone else having issue with the unlocked not showing yet?

[quote name='jkircos']Sorry but what is the 1 cent amazon deal?[/QUOTE]

It was a glitch 2 weeks ago on the Warehouse that had about 10 titles priced at 1 cent. A LOT of people ordered but most were cancelled but a few people got there orders filled. Some people made out with dozens of games for less than a buck.

Just logged in to RewardZone and it says this...

RZ Gamers Club Unlocked
through 12/6/2010

Woot :) Even though its like that I still got my 10% TIV bonus without asking for it. Everyone with website issues probably don't need to stress. Just give your RZ# during your trade and let us know if you get the bonus automatically.

One strange thing did happen. I had GoW3 pre-ordered and did got my 50% bonus on a trade the same day. The next day i had another game i wanted to trade. The CS rep told me i already used my 50% bonus and had to pre-order again to get another. I did so and successfully got 50% again....but now i have two pre-orders for GoW3.

I thought i could just keep using my one pre-order during the valid promotional dates.

[quote name='Japakneez']One strange thing did happen. I had GoW3 pre-ordered and did got my 50% bonus on a trade the same day. The next day i had another game i wanted to trade. The CS rep told me i already used my 50% bonus and had to pre-order again to get another. I did so and successfully got 50% again....but now i have two pre-orders for GoW3.

I thought i could just keep using my one pre-order during the valid promotional dates.[/QUOTE]

If you would have pressed they would have let you. It is mostly because the management wants to see a fairly close 1:1 ratio of bonus given to preorders taken. If you ask them to ask the manager they will usually let it slide.

One other thing. I turned some BB credit into Amazon credit. I know people in retail are told/made to ask the same questions and push the same things but common sense should be included. I walk up with $125 in cards and she takes then and asks if i am a RZ member. I say yes and then she asks if I have a credit card with them. I say yes BUT I have gift cards I would like to use. So instead of saying ok she proceeds with the whole line about how I would get double the points. Now it is not a big deal but WHY would I want to use my credit card when I have $125 in GC in my hand? Ok off soapbox.

Omg what a hassle, I went to my BB today to do the %50 Gears 3 trade in deal, talk about poorly trained people. No one there knew how to do anything and the management was usless. It took me almost an hour, and still the manager was trying to give me %50 trade in value for 1 game. He was not even willing to try ringing it up, talk about lazy. I showed him the promo card, but was a complete ass. I did not give up though and finally got some who knew how to use the BB register, ended up getting 72 credit for my 45 dollar trades in games. So I got the 50% plus an extra 10% but boy did I have to work for it. Shows why I really hate Best Buy still, the associates were really nice but managment sucked ass and had attitude to boot. I will never buy a big ticket item at Best Buy ever again, service is simply the worst in any retail setting ever. but I did get my Gears 3 all set with 6 extra bucks to boot.

PS I did get the unlocked bonus even though I did not pay for it hmm, it does not say unlocked online yet how weird. I wonder if I'm unlocked or not? I don't expect I am since I did not pay.

I have a question about that 40 percent more for preorders. I already have 5 dollars put down on a game. Would I still be able to trade more in towards that same preorder, or I'd have to put it towards something else?

[quote name='Scorch']So they take ALL PS2 games? I just found a huge stack that I wouldn't mind parting with and used the site and it added up to $75 after the 50% bump. That doesn't suck. Just want to make sure before I haul this massive pile of rubbish down there.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Genuine games only, not burned CD-Rs (laugh but some people probably would try). I do not know if they take imports though (highly doubtful).

This is a great way to get rid of :ps2: games that were acquired for dirt cheap through garage sales and such.

[quote name='Kanokare']I have a question about that 40 percent more for preorders. I already have 5 dollars put down on a game. Would I still be able to trade more in towards that same preorder, or I'd have to put it towards something else?[/QUOTE]

YMMV, i suppose. I was able to do it at my local BB, but there have been some people in the forums who've been denied. I get it depends on the type of person you get.

[quote name='aaandthedoggies']YMMV, i suppose. I was able to do it at my local BB, but there have been some people in the forums who've been denied. I get it depends on the type of person you get.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. At the least I'll get the 30 percent along with the extra 10 percent.

Anyone received their Unlock sticker yet? I can't seem to decide if I should just trade in my games NOW or wait till I get the damn Unlock sticker
decisions decisions...

Just got back from BB. The guy at the trade-in kiosk saw that I had 2 copies of DNF and RF: Armageddon and then tried to tell me that the store can only take ONE copy of each game per driver's license. I explain to him that I've read online that they would take up to 3 no problem. He says he's heard that too but he's never tried before. I ask him to try anyways and he reluctantly agrees. And to his surprise it works. Did this guy really not know their own policy? Or was he trying to screw me out of some credit and save BB some cash? Either way, walked away with exactly $150 in credit.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Just got back from BB. The guy at the trade-in kiosk saw that I had 2 copies of DNF and RF: Armageddon and then tried to tell me that the store can only take ONE copy of each game per driver's license. I explain to him that I've read online that they would take up to 3 no problem. He says he's heard that too but he's never tried before. I ask him to try anyways and he reluctantly agrees. And to his surprise it works. Did this guy really not know their own policy? Or was he trying to screw me out of some credit and save BB some cash? Either way, walked away with exactly $150 in credit.[/QUOTE]

probably didnt know. I dont see why you expect us too give you an answer about the guy we know nothing about.

:roll:

I was more curious to see if anyone had experienced something similar. The questions were more or less rhetorical.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

Let's say I want to trade in my copy of Halo:Reach (currently 16 dollars) to best buy to get the 40% toward a trade in when put toward a pre-order. How do people take that money and buy an amazon/kindle gift card? Aren't you locked into the pre-order to stop people from just taking the 40% bonus and running?

only $5 goes to preorder. seperate thing altogether. you can cancel it whenever you want at customer service. i dont mean to bitch, but don't we have an op/faq with these contant same q's. no offense to you, just checking to see any new tiv news, and it's the same general q's every day.
im only replying to save derclaw/dudeimgodly/others the reply :)
also good day flippn, woot

kid here and first time trading it and got a noob question

lets say I want to trade it LA Noire and Marvel vs Capcom 3 which are both TIV at $17 will the 50% be applied on each game or will it be applied to both games when its been added??

[quote name='KillaHoe']kid here and first time trading it and got a noob question

lets say I want to trade it LA Noire and Marvel vs Capcom 3 which are both TIV at $17 will the 50% be applied on each game or will it be applied to both games when its been added??[/QUOTE]

ru kidding?
READ the OP

[quote name='KillaHoe']lets say I want to trade it LA Noire and Marvel vs Capcom 3 which are both TIV at $17 will the 50% be applied on each game or will it be applied to both games when its been added??[/QUOTE]

You do know that it comes out to the same amount either way, right?

[quote name='Kanokare']I have a question about that 40 percent more for preorders. I already have 5 dollars put down on a game. Would I still be able to trade more in towards that same preorder, or I'd have to put it towards something else?[/QUOTE]
The reason is YMMV is because technically the item is $5 and we would be 'marking up' a $5 pre-order so to speak. My understanding is that it could/would be flagged. Imagine if you were buying a $500 TV and an employee marked it up to $600? To the system its the same thing. Also when you pick-up your game they do a return on it and apply the money toward the game. If you lose your receipt and paid for all of it or a random amount then they will have to look it up for you which can cause the process to take longer.

[quote name='santiagoiiic']Aren't you locked into the pre-order to stop people from just taking the 40% bonus and running?[/QUOTE]
You're not locked ever. You paid $5 for something and you're more than welcome to get a refund on it at any point in time.

Well, I went back today since BBY screwed up my trade in and THEY called me to come back in. I bitched a bit and they gave me a $25 Napster Gift Card for my trouble....yeah. Anyone want it for $20?

[quote name='doubledown']Well, I went back today since BBY screwed up my trade in and THEY called me to come back in. I bitched a bit and they gave me a $25 Napster Gift Card for my trouble....yeah. Anyone want it for $20?[/QUOTE]

Napster? :roll: Didn't know that service still existed.
I would have much preferred a $10 GC

But hey, you can always try eBay

[quote name='iRandom']Napster? :roll: Didn't know that service still existed.
I would have much preferred a $10 GC

But hey, you can always try eBay[/QUOTE]

I know, I tried to lobby for a BBY GC, but they did not offer. Funny thing is, no Napster Gift Cards have even sold on EBAY recently.

[quote name='iRandom']Just came back from BB with a little under $600. *sigh* if only I had the extra 10% bonus[/QUOTE]

gah, I could be sitting on that kind of credit if I could get around the three game limit

[quote name='KillaHoe']kid here and first time trading it and got a noob question

lets say I want to trade it LA Noire and Marvel vs Capcom 3 which are both TIV at $17 will the 50% be applied on each game or will it be applied to both games when its been added??[/QUOTE]
:lol: that's not a noob trading question. That's a noob math question lol. Comes out the same.

[quote name='stoned99']Just hit 1000$ in visa cards, what happens now ???[/QUOTE]

step 3. spend it.

[quote name='specialist']gah, I could be sitting on that kind of credit if I could get around the three game limit[/QUOTE]

you can. just go back a different day and trade another 3 copies. then go back another day after that and trade 3 more. either you run out of games to trade, or they tell you to stop.

[quote name='doubledown']I know, I tried to lobby for a BBY GC, but they did not offer. Funny thing is, no Napster Gift Cards have even sold on EBAY recently.[/QUOTE]

haha funny thing is, the BB I go to still has Napster
You can always just give it to someone you know.

[quote name='stoned99']Just hit 1000$ in visa cards, what happens now ???[/QUOTE]

what do you mean? Is there a limit to how much visa you can purchase from BB?

gah, I could be sitting on that kind of credit if I could get around the three game limit
My BB also limits me to only 3 per year. If not, then I could be making over $1000 in extra BB credits a month

[quote name='nakanenui']step 3. spend it.[/QUOTE]
Step 4. Spend it on BB GCs
Step 5. Purchase more visas
Step 6. Rinse and repeat.

:D :D :D

[quote name='iRandom']

Step 4. Spend it on BB GCs
Step 5. Purchase more visas
Step 6. Rinse and repeat.

:D :D :D[/QUOTE]

nah, not cost effective as each visa card charges an activation fee. so you would basically be throwing money away each cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back