Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nakanenui']nah, not cost effective as each visa card charges an activation fee. so you would basically be throwing money away each cycle.[/QUOTE]

Oh look at you with your fancy shmancy private school learnin. How dare you bring logic into this conversation. ;)

[quote name='Velo214']only $5 goes to preorder. seperate thing altogether. you can cancel it whenever you want at customer service. i dont mean to bitch, but don't we have an op/faq with these contant same q's. no offense to you, just checking to see any new tiv news, and it's the same general q's every day.
im only replying to save derclaw/dudeimgodly/others the reply :)
also good day flippn, woot[/QUOTE]

Lol that second last part made me laugh.

I finally traded in my games today. I'm so lucky to have a BB that knows how stuff is suppose to work. Went in, and got a little worried that no one was watching the door to put the stickies on my games. I proceeded to the game trade in counter anyway, and as soon as I asked about the Gamer Unlock the lady that helped me knew immediately what I was talking about. She just grabbed a flyer and scanned it. She gave me the current magazine, and she even told me about the 50% extra if I preorder Gears of Wars. Oh and she also said I was the first one to sign up, so she doesn't know if she'll have any issues. Thankfully everything went through fine. I got my 50%+10% :)

Turned them into kindle cards with 8 bucks left to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nakanenui']step 3. spend it.

you can. just go back a different day and trade another 3 copies. then go back another day after that and trade 3 more. either you run out of games to trade, or they tell you to stop.[/QUOTE]

Cross out spend it, and put down send to my address :)

[quote name='Velo214']only $5 goes to preorder. seperate thing altogether. you can cancel it whenever you want at customer service. i dont mean to bitch, but don't we have an op/faq with these contant same q's. no offense to you, just checking to see any new tiv news, and it's the same general q's every day.
im only replying to save derclaw/dudeimgodly/others the reply :)
also good day flippn, woot[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I read the FAQ, my quote from directly from the faq. Thanks for answering my question though.

Is there a limit to how many of 1 title I can trade in? Online and B and M?

[quote name='Pliskin101']Is there a limit to how many of 1 title I can trade in? Online and B and M?[/QUOTE]
On a good day? 100. Rest of the time, 3.

[quote name='tightclaws']You really told him, I bet he is cowering in a corner somewhere...[/QUOTE]

*looks out from underneath the covers*
*goes back under*

wasn't really my point. This thread has devolved into the same questions over and over and bragging. Would be nice if, you know, information was given.

Traded in 4983 games for $29,000! WOOOOT.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']*looks out from underneath the covers*
*goes back under*[/QUOTE]
are you in north cal or so cal? I'm from Hayward here.

[quote name='confoosious']Traded in 4983 games for $29,000! WOOOOT.[/QUOTE]

You could have gotten $29,050 if you traded 2983 to Gamestop using their trade 7 get 30% bonus and the other 2000 to Amazon.

so i got a few cheap duke nukems yesterday. as history repeats itself, i keep the game for a nite to play and the tiv drops from 17 to 13. ugh. now it goes from $14 profit each to $8 each. ugh. fail. i want my extra flip money. lol. oh wells. teaches me to play instead of flip. errrr

the real fail is i didnt even play it, i was busy beating resitance 3. oh wells. guess i will keep one to play since the profit is smaller anyway...

[quote name='Velo214']so i got a few cheap duke nukems yesterday. as history repeats itself, i keep the game for a nite to play and the tiv drops from 17 to 13. ugh. now it goes from $14 profit each to $8 each. ugh. fail. i want my extra flip money. lol. oh wells. teaches me to play instead of flip. errrr

the real fail is i didnt even play it, i was busy beating resitance 3. oh wells. guess i will keep one to play since the profit is smaller anyway...[/QUOTE]

Damn. Still haven't received my games from Gamefly yet

[quote name='Velo214']so i got a few cheap duke nukems yesterday. as history repeats itself, i keep the game for a nite to play and the tiv drops from 17 to 13. ugh. now it goes from $14 profit each to $8 each. ugh. fail. i want my extra flip money. lol. oh wells. teaches me to play instead of flip. errrr

the real fail is i didnt even play it, i was busy beating resitance 3. oh wells. guess i will keep one to play since the profit is smaller anyway...[/QUOTE]

Yeah they're catching on quickly. I was saving my DNF copies for my Homefront copies that get here today. Grrr. At least I got to play Splatterhouse some and it didn't drop.

I wonder if they monitor the number of searches of certain games in addition to the number of trades of certain games. By searches, I mean how many times people are looking up the values and then they see an increase in the number of trades.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Yeah they're catching on quickly. I was saving my DNF copies for my Homefront copies that get here today. Grrr. At least I got to play Splatterhouse some and it didn't drop.

I wonder if they monitor the number of searches of certain games in addition to the number of trades of certain games. By searches, I mean how many times people are looking up the values and then they see an increase in the number of trades.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they have a Top 20 searched for and Top 20 traded in (via website and instore) list so they know if their TIVs are out of whack. Now whether they are competent enough to understand it is another story.

The real question is whether they're just monitoring this thread!

[quote name='confoosious']I'm sure they have a Top 20 searched for and Top 20 traded in (via website and instore) list so they know if their TIVs are out of whack. Now whether they are competent enough to understand it is another story.

The real question is whether they're just monitoring this thread![/QUOTE]

True. However I bet they monitor SD more. Everyone must have hated DJ Hero and traded in the game cause its value for 1 and 2 is just $3 now.

[quote name='iRandom']Damn. Still haven't received my games from Gamefly yet[/QUOTE]

Me too. I ordered on Wednesday morning and I still have't even received a shipping confirmation yet. Do they sometimes send the games without letting you know it's on it's way?

[quote name='confoosious']
Traded in 4983 games for $29,000! WOOOOT.[/QUOTE]

Did you trade in more than 3 copies of certain games on each system? ;)

[quote name='bgame2']Did you trade in more than 3 copies of certain games on each system? ;)[/QUOTE]
No, he just used the 2900% gamer zone unlocked coupon.

just stopped by gamestop to check for penny guides, saw a guy come in with 2 white knight chronicles 2, the new mma game, and another new game, all still sealed. Traded it 3 of it in and got $69 for it. :lol: I tried to show him the bestbuy trade in value but he was too lazy to drive there (6 miles away). lol

[quote name='confoosious']I'm sure they have a Top 20 searched for and Top 20 traded in (via website and instore) list so they know if their TIVs are out of whack. Now whether they are competent enough to understand it is another story.

The real question is whether they're just monitoring this thread![/QUOTE]

As I said the other day, I would not be surprised at all if they had some kind of representative monitoring this thread.

If they have a Top 20 searched, I guess we'll just have to look up the value of Madden '06 five times for every one time we look up the value of an actual flip...throw 'em off the scent!

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Last night was a good one walked out with 2 reach legendary editions and $668[/QUOTE]

1989-donruss-42-randy-johnson-rookie-card-gemmint-c0055.jpg

[quote name='kouleefoh']just stopped by gamestop to check for penny guides, saw a guy come in with 2 white knight chronicles 2, the new mma game, and another new game, all still sealed. Traded it 3 of it in and got $69 for it. :lol: I tried to show him the bestbuy trade in value but he was too lazy to drive there (6 miles away). lol[/QUOTE]
All still sealed? That wouldn't fly at the GS stores around here. Still sealed is usually a reason to flag someone under suspicion of theft. Just by the total alone, I'm betting they probably took CASH instead of credit and DID steal those games from someplace.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']All still sealed? That wouldn't fly at the GS stores around here. Still sealed is usually a reason to flag someone under suspicion of theft. Just by the total alone, I'm betting they probably took CASH instead of credit and DID steal those games from someplace.[/QUOTE]
nah it wasn't stolen. He said his buddies from Sony gave it to him. They are the ones that have the UPC barcode hole punched. He even told the clerk to open it up and check, but she just laughed it off. I guess they know each other.

the real fail is i didnt even play it, i was busy beating resitance 3. oh wells. guess i will keep one to play since the profit is smaller anyway...[/QUOTE]You're really going to be kicking yourself after you've played Duke Nukem too. Played it for an hour or two once I got it in the mail yesterday and I was that much more compelled to flip it immediately.

So is there any kind of written policy that Best Buy will take in games that are disc only and wont degrade the value of the trade? If so I have a few games to trade in.

lol pimplimp. my grrl gets mad when i play my flip games. she's like ugh, just get rid of it already. ;)
ill play anything once :) , but it seems to be costing me more these days with bb tivs being low and mainly banking on the bonus means when the base drops we get double burned. $4 base drop means overall bonus gets hurt, ugh. i miss the days when 'locking it in' gave you 30 days to get a decent tiv. now you have 14 days to get there and that's forfeiting any bonus... oh wellz. but yeah, i expect mediocrity with duke ;)

dios- if you go to the trade in page all it asks is disk condition, nothing of case/manual/etc

i had a pain in the neck today, when i went and flipped the guy told me i had 171 on the card, cool, i signed and left. that's after hassling about unlocked i got on the 12th. so i get home and check paper and check actual gift card and only 160. seems he didnt give me the extra 10% fuck head. so i go back and im pissed cuz he 'lied' to me. ugh. he said it must be a computer error so after dealing with customer service and manager and them calling rz 888 bestbuy whatev they give me $15. ha, like that's worth it. i just wanted him to admit he had lied to me. there never was a 170, so that was just him adding 10% in his head. ugh. but whatev. i just need to toke. but fuck. peace all

[quote name='Velo214']lol pimplimp. my grrl gets mad when i play my flip games. she's like ugh, just get rid of it already. ;)
ill play anything once :) , but it seems to be costing me more these days with bb tivs being low and mainly banking on the bonus means when the base drops we get double burned. $4 base drop means overall bonus gets hurt, ugh. i miss the days when 'locking it in' gave you 30 days to get a decent tiv. now you have 14 days to get there and that's forfeiting any bonus... oh wellz. but yeah, i expect mediocrity with duke ;)

dios- if you go to the trade in page all it asks is disk condition, nothing of case/manual/etc

i had a pain in the neck today, when i went and flipped the guy told me i had 171 on the card, cool, i signed and left. that's after hassling about unlocked i got on the 12th. so i get home and check paper and check actual gift card and only 160. seems he didnt give me the extra 10% fuck head. so i go back and im pissed cuz he 'lied' to me. ugh. he said it must be a computer error so after dealing with customer service and manager and them calling rz 888 bestbuy whatev they give me $15. ha, like that's worth it. i just wanted him to admit he had lied to me. there never was a 170, so that was just him adding 10% in his head. ugh. but whatev. i just need to toke. but fuck. peace all[/QUOTE]

That reminds me...went and purchased a kindle GC the other day. The girl who did the whole checkout thing said 'want me to throw this (my card) away?" I said, "uh there's still money in there"
Nervous one to say the least. She then asked about the Gamer's Club Unlocked brochure I was holding. I don't think she has any clue what's going on...could've been a new employee though.................

Went in to Best Buy today and cancelled my Gears pre-order, also bought 3 $50 Kindle gift cards with the credit I got from the trade-in. Thanks a bunch for the info guys.

Question about the Kindle gift card, so is it like the Amazon credits that you get from pre-order bonus? Meaning only buy things sold by Amazon.com only or will it be like gift card (anything)?

[quote name='kouleefoh']Question about the Kindle gift card, so is it like the Amazon credits that you get from pre-order bonus? Meaning only buy things sold by Amazon.com only or will it be like gift card (anything)?[/QUOTE]

Gift card; anything.

[quote name='mgford11']Gift card; anything.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, that is awesome. I was under the impression Amazon.com only. Swt, if the 5 for $100 don't work out, thats what i'll do.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Question about the Kindle gift card, so is it like the Amazon credits that you get from pre-order bonus? Meaning only buy things sold by Amazon.com only or will it be like gift card (anything)?[/QUOTE]
You can buy ANYTHING on Amazon.com with the Kindle gc's.;)

Had to go in to BB today to get my Gamer Unlocked status sorted out. Had gone in on Monday and they scanned my sheet that came with the mag, but that doesn't get it accomplished. Today they said they didn't have any of the Gamer Unlocked cards....or whatever it is they have to scan. Guy found the sku # for it, however, and applied it to my account. Now my Rz account online shows I have the Unlocked status until Sept. 12, 2012. The guys I were dealing with said I'm the only person they knew of all week that had come in to get on the Gamer Unlocked program. Sounds like a smashing success...lol.

Just a heads up things are gonna get crazy pretty soon.
I've got a source who works with gamestop corporate who's told me they've been getting bestbuy's memos about the Used game program, and most of the stuff is basically insulting gamestop.

Anyway's GS is gonna be upgrading there values by a lot. Shifting into "Kill bestbuy" mode.
we'll see how bestbuy reacts.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Just a heads up things are gonna get crazy pretty soon.
I've got a source who works with gamestop corporate who's told me they've been getting bestbuy's memos about the Used game program, and most of the stuff is basically insulting gamestop.

Anyway's GS is gonna be upgrading there values by a lot. Shifting into "Kill bestbuy" mode.
we'll see how bestbuy reacts.[/QUOTE]

Well if they react by upgrading their values as well we all know who wins in that instance right? CAGs lol

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Just a heads up things are gonna get crazy pretty soon.

Interesting. When I went to BB last night they had "Trade in your old games to Best Buy!" stickers on every 360 game (didn't check the PS3 aisle). Found it kinda funny since I've never seen them do that before.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Interesting. When I went to BB last night they had "Trade in your old games to Best Buy!" stickers on every 360 game (didn't check the PS3 aisle). Found it kinda funny since I've never seen them do that before.[/QUOTE]
The thing i hate about BB right now is,there friggin salespeople tryin to sell me Direct TV or whatever,i'm like no just buying a movie.And then they were selling Toyotas in the parking lot.Just had to vent,it was annoying today.

Well Gamestop is going to have to step up their game SIGNIFICANTLY if they want my business. They are basically the scurge of the video game sales industry. Even if TIV was equal, Best Buy has the edge because they have a huge variety of items you can use your credit on. Also, being able to purchase Amazon gift cards at Best Buy is a huge benefit. For me, Gamestop would have to to top Best Buy TIV by at least 10-20% before I would even consider stepping in their store with any possible trades.

[quote name='JediJames2']Well if they react by upgrading their values as well we all know who wins in that instance right? CAGs lol[/QUOTE]
I doubt it. If anything Bestbuy will be the one downgrading their values.

Insulting GS? GS is insulting me with their stupid trade in value system, and giving us crap worth for what we trade them for :D

If GS really want to step up it's game, then they better implement most of what BB is offering. First, include COUPONS inside the magazines. Idk about you guys, but the GS magazine has no value to me.

Second, show the stupid game value online!!!! The last thing I'd want to do is drive all the way out to GS where a massive BO is trap inside the store only to find out the games I'm trading in are worth 50 cents, etc.

I don't know how they can possibly compete with the prepaid visa, or kindle gift card. Those are the main reason I love flipping games at BB. I've been saving mine to buy a new TV. What do you guys do with your credit besides buying upcoming games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back