Best Buy Trade In

beerme

CAGiversary!
I guess it's like the Amazon trade-in program, but they also take game systems and other electronics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat186500050003

Getting Started

Follow four simple steps to trade in equipment:

• Step 1 -- Use the Estimator to receive an instant estimate of your trade-in value.
  • Step 2 -- If the value is acceptable, register with the Best Buy Trade-In Center.
  • Step 3 -- Complete the transaction, print a prepaid shipping label and ship your items to our trade-in center.
  • Step 4 -- A Best Buy gift card will be mailed about 7 to 14 days after receipt of your item.
Trade In Confirmation
After completing the trade-in form, you will receive an e-mail confirming the items you are trading in, the trade-in number and the estimated value of the items. We recommend you keep a copy of this e-mail for your records.
You must ship your trade-in items within 30 days or the estimated value will be invalid. If you experience technical difficulties, use our trade-in support contact form.
Get started now with the Trade-In Estimator.
ar2up.gif
Shipping

Shipping Methods
A shipping label and address can be printed from your Submission Acceptance e-mail.
Please note: Standard ground shipping costs are included when you accept an estimate and generate a prepaid shipping label.
When dropping off your item with UPS, we advise you to retain a drop-off receipt for your records. Please, do not drop off the item at any of the UPS drop box locations, as you will not be provided with a receipt when using this method.
ar2up.gif
Erasing And Backing Up iPods
When trading in iPods, back up and erase all data from the hard drive and restore to factory settings. Any data left on your system may be accessible to others.
Methods for backing up and/or erasing data can be found here.
ar2up.gif
Packaging Guidelines
Before packaging ipods, please read guidelines for removing personal music/data from iPods.
When packaging a computer for trade in, include the operating system software (Macintosh or Windows) on CD or diskette, along with the certificate of authenticity, the end-user license agreement and manuals.
If your system was shipped with a restore CD, each of the above items will be on the restore CD, and not packaged separately. If you have a Microsoft operating system, please erase the operating system software from the device.
Also, try to include any documentation and accessories that originally shipped with your item, these items may include: warranty cards, keyboards, mice and connection cables. Failure to include normally included items or accessories will impact the value of your trade.
Do not include a CRT monitor unless the system has a built-in monitor. Because of their weight, CRT monitors are not accepted for trade in.
You will be responsible for all costs associated with packaging and insuring previously owned systems.
Please follow these shipping tips:

• Wrap the items using plenty of bubble-wrap, foam packaging or other packing supplies around fragile items. Include all components of the system for return.
  • Package the system in a sturdy cardboard box designed specifically for shipping. Boxes are also available for purchase prior to the transaction.
  • Tape all edges on the sides, top and bottom to make sure there are no rough edges that could be snagged by automated mail processing equipment. We do not recommend using masking or cellophane tape.
  • Attach the shipping label to the outside of the package. Use a piece of clear shipping tape over the top of the label.
  • Call UPS or drop off the package at a UPS shipping location. Be sure to keep the tracking number for proof of return. You may also ship at your own expense using the carrier of your choice as long as they can provide you with a Shipment Tracking Number and proof of delivery.
  • Traded items must be shipped within 30 days of the trade-in request submission date, or you will need to re-apply for a new trade-in estimate. Your system must be received by the date shown on the shipping form; if it is not, the estimated value will not be valid.
ar2up.gif
Payments And Pricing

Determining System Condition For Trade In
Our Trade-in Center will perform an inspection upon receipt of your system. Because the condition of the system plays a part in determining its value, you must accurately state the system's condition.
The three condition levels include:

• Excellent -- the system is in excellent working condition and needs no refurbishment. The body of the product is clean and in LIKE NEW condition - and all parts of the item operate as they did when the item was new.
  • Good -- Fully functional - with no technical problems, may have a few "normal wear" scratches, smudges.
  • Poor -- Functional and in working condition for the intended purpose with no major technical problems. The item may have cosmetic defects such as dents, scratches, stickers smudges. A battery door may be missing, or there may be a crack in the case.
Receiving Payment
A Best Buy gift card with the trade-in credit on it will be mailed to you at the address you provided when you registered at the online Trade-In Center. You should receive this card in 7-14 days after we have verified your trade-in item.
The estimated value is not final until the item has been verified.
Please read the Terms and Conditions for further guidelines related to pricing and payment.

[quote name='confoosious']I tried out various games to test and the trade in values are pretty terrible.

On par with GS prices but no bonuses.[/QUOTE]

amazons are alright..i'd say 20% better then gamestop...

I really dislike the exchange rate stores think these games are worth...Most people who trade in video games put the game in there system, play it, take it out it, put it in the case, and it sits in the case for a month or two, and is turned in...It's not like we chuck them up against a wall a couple of times..-.-

[quote name='confoosious']I tried out various games to test and the trade in values are pretty terrible.

On par with GS prices but no bonuses.[/QUOTE]
I tried out a couple and they were pretty good, FIFA '09 was like $22 and Virtua Tennis 2009 was $21 if I recall correctly.

[quote name='Nameless600']amazons are alright..i'd say 20% better then gamestop...

I really dislike the exchange rate stores think these games are worth...Most people who trade in video games put the game in there system, play it, take it out it, put it in the case, and it sits in the case for a month or two, and is turned in...It's not like we chuck them up against a wall a couple of times..-.-[/QUOTE]

It's not about how much you've taken care of it. They base their prices (there's a universal price db) on how quickly they can turn the game around and sell it. They are targeting paying you 1/3 of retail and going up and down based on how quickly they can resell it.

[quote name='One4Deuce']I tried out a couple and they were pretty good, FIFA '09 was like $22 and Virtua Tennis 2009 was $21 if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

Just tested Infamous and Prototype ($30 for Infamous, $32 for prototype), i also checked resistance 2 which is $17...resistance 1 was $7 so these prices aren't terrible, but those are newer games, don't know how cheap older games are.

[quote name='Nameless600']amazons are alright..i'd say 20% better then gamestop...

I really dislike the exchange rate stores think these games are worth...Most people who trade in video games put the game in there system, play it, take it out it, put it in the case, and it sits in the case for a month or two, and is turned in...It's not like we chuck them up against a wall a couple of times..-.-[/QUOTE]

The stores taking in the used games need to be able to sell them for a profit. Look at how bad Circuit City botched their attempt at used games. They'd take the game, sell it used for $55 and it'd just sit there because the price would never change. Even as the brand new version just a couple aisles away was dropping to $30, the used would still be collecting dust at $55.

Decent values on new games, but older ones seem to be just so-so. With no promotions like GS or Amazon however, this program will fail.

I'm confused as to why Amazon and Best Buy are doing this. To be more specific, when are they going to actually start selling used games back to us? I thought that was the whole point? Seems like they are just hoarding used games for now..

Also looks like they still have some pricing problems to work out...
78352511.png

[quote name='zohar']I'm confused as to why Amazon and Best Buy are doing this. To be more specific, when are they going to actually start selling used games back to us? I thought that was the whole point? Seems like they are just hoarding used games for now..[/QUOTE]

A third party, NorAm, is doing the trade-in's through Amazon and has been selling them for a while now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000UU3SVI?ie=UTF8&seller=A1BXFHVPTXH2Q3&condition=used

It's just dumb since it's a third party seller, Prime/FSSS isn't available and you can't use trade-in credit.

LOL ... they tease that you can trade in a Neo Geo Pocket Color, and then say it has no trade in value. What do THEY know?! :)

I love that Pure has a trade in value of $15 when they had their $9.99 game day sale....they'd pay you $5 to play it for the last two months...lol

I mentioned it in the amazon thread, but LOL at BB's pricing logic

Mario Kart Wii WITHOUT wheel = $14
Mario Kart Wii WITH wheel = $12

So the wheel's value merits a negative $2?

Street Fighter IV standard edition for either X360 or PS3 = $25
Street Fighter IV collector's edition for either system = $21

Seems like the more stuff you give them, the less they give back to you.... >_>;

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']I mentioned it in the amazon thread, but LOL at BB's pricing logic

Seems like the more stuff you give them, the less they give back to you.... >_>;[/QUOTE]
Check out Halo 3. Regular version goes for $17, Legendary Edition goes for $15, and the Limited Edition goes for $10.

TIVs for systems look good. $188 for a 360 Elite with one controller is pretty good for a TIV. Better than GS by a bit.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']I mentioned it in the amazon thread, but LOL at BB's pricing logic

Seems like the more stuff you give them, the less they give back to you.... >_>;[/QUOTE]

My best guess is that extras don't matter to them. And the reason they pay less for more is the fact that they are going to cover the shipping cost of the "bigger" item.

That being said, maybe prices are higher at an actual kiosk? Since there is zero cost for shipping there.. maybe.

I will never, ever use Amazon or gamestop or bestbuy or whatever.

For me its ebay or half.com. No store will ever beat what you can get by putting minimal effort on this 2 sites.

[quote name='oasisboy']I will never, ever use Amazon or gamestop or bestbuy or whatever.

For me its ebay or half.com. No store will ever beat what you can get by putting minimal effort on this 2 sites.[/QUOTE]

eBay? Really? You're still getting screwed from their fees and Paypal fees. Craigslist or some message board (like CAG) is probably the best way to get the most out of your used games and systems.

these are actually pretty good..much better than GS and amazon when it comes to lower priced games...with the b1g1free at blockbuster, you could make some money off of this (like 1-5$ on some games)

[quote name='zohar']eBay? Really? You're still getting screwed from their fees and Paypal fees. Craigslist or some message board (like CAG) is probably the best way to get the most out of your used games and systems.[/QUOTE]

Refusing to trade in your games is being ignorant. Yes, the cash you get back is nearly always more than the credit you'd get at GS. However, when some promotions are available, and you're in need of something from that store, there's no reason not to trade-in your games.

Sorry about the double post...

[quote name='hotrocks']these are actually pretty good..much better than GS and amazon when it comes to lower priced games...with the b1g1free at blockbuster, you could make some money off of this (like 1-5$ on some games)[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely go for this if Best Buy's prices in store weren't so ridiculously overpriced...

I'm so happy they are doing this now. I've been wanting to trade my Wii in using this towards getting a PS3 (you get $150 for a Wii... awesome). I didn't want to trade in all my games to Gamestop or Amazon just so I could keep all my credit together at BB. Now that they take games in too, I couldn't be happier. Time to rid the Wii.

[quote name='thehoweller']Refusing to trade in your games is being ignorant. Yes, the cash you get back is nearly always more than the credit you'd get at GS. However, when some promotions are available, and you're in need of something from that store, there's no reason not to trade-in your games.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop's promotions are crap. They do stuff like trade in 2/4/6, get 10%/20%/40% bonus. And more often than not, you're already going to be getting at least 40% over GS's trade-in values by selling your game via say, CAG (and we're cheapasses!). Best case scenario, you are breaking even.

The only times I'd ever trade in games to Gamestop is if I know FOR SURE, no one in hell will ever pay real money for the game; or for some reason I have a ridiculously damaged game that I know they have to buy. And even then I feel dirty doing it, since I know one day, a GS employee is going to talk some soccer mom into buying it..

As for Amazon promotions, only seen one good one so far, but Amazon's trade-in values are still pretty low. And haven't seen any BB promos yet since they just started.

[quote name='thehoweller']I'd definitely go for this if Best Buy's prices in store weren't so ridiculously overpriced...[/QUOTE]

Best Buy's prices are at least better than Gamestop's. Hell, at least they charge MSRP, unlike Gamestop, which jacks up prices (or "gets them wrong") quite often.

[quote name='zohar']I'm confused as to why Amazon and Best Buy are doing this. To be more specific, when are they going to actually start selling used games back to us? I thought that was the whole point? Seems like they are just hoarding used games for now...[/QUOTE]

DVD Planet stopped listing used DVDs on their web site a couple years back so I'm wondering where all the titles people trade in are going. It seems like an awful lot of inventory to just sell at their B&M.

[quote name='zohar']Gamestop's promotions are crap. They do stuff like trade in 2/4/6, get 10%/20%/40% bonus. And more often than not, you're already going to be getting at least 40% over GS's trade-in values by selling your game via say, CAG (and we're cheapasses!). Best case scenario, you are breaking even.[/QUOTE]

So wii: hulk, we ski, 360: ironman, baja EOC, frontlines, hulk, universe at war

Traded for 91 credit at GS using that promotion(and edge). Goodluck getting half that from actual gamers on cag. I'm trying to narrow the games I want at the upcoming b2g1, but I'm figuring I can get around 180$(base) worth with my credit and like an extra 15 bucks.

They definitely aren't the only deal in town or always the best option, but the more choices the better.

Has anyone used this service. I am thinking about using it but I am a little worried about getting the quoted prices.

Or you can SELL your system on Craigslist and make almost all your money back with some effort and get real cash $$$$$$$$

Not only do you gotta wait for your games to get there in the mail, but then you gotta wait another 1-2 weeks for them to mail the gift card to you? Geez. At least with amazon the credit is done online and they have good promos.

[quote name='thehoweller']Sorry about the double post...

I'd definitely go for this if Best Buy's prices in store weren't so ridiculously overpriced...[/QUOTE]

You mean what a normal retailer should sell games for?

BB offers $30 for a used Conduit (Wii), which I got as a gift and don't want. GameStop only offered $22. So, in this case, BB wins.

Sylvia

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']I still haven't gotten my card and I sent it in 3 weeks ago[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about how reliable BB trade-ins are, and how long it takes for you to get your gift card. Coz some of the TIV are much MUCH better than Amazon.

Here's what I have to trade, all for x360:
Title-----------------Amazon TIV---Best Buy TIV (price I paid)

Oblivion GOTY-----------12.00-------12.00 (20)
Bionic Commando---------6.00-------18.00 (20)
Quantum of Solace-------3.50--------8.00 (10)
Ninja Blade---------------6.25--------12.00 (20)
Secret Agent Clank PSP---3.50-------10.00 (10)

Total TIV----------------31.25-------60.00 (80)

I don't have enough to sell on Amazon to get the bonus $30 but the TIV at BB is almost double! Plus I can get a 75% return on what I spent.:bouncy:

Anyone who has experiences with BB trade-In please share, thanks!

I have used them multiple times now. With games they are really quick to turn around. 2-3 days for them to get. 2 days for them to evaluate and then 10-14 days to get card.

Systems are a little long. 7-8 days and 2-3 days to evaluate....

All in all I have been happy with service.

Taking a moment to warn everyone about trading into Best Buy. This process has not been a positive experience for me.

I decided to use Best Buy's trade in program because I had an older Ipod that I could trade in, a bunch of games and new the ps3 price drop was looming. I could take the total value and roll into my new slim. Plus Best Buy's trade in prices were a couple of dollars higher on each game which started to add up.

On August 4th I traded in a ton of price worthy games, CoD4 and WaW, Fallout 3, etc. Sent the items the same day I received the quote... no problems up until this point.

The items were then verified on the 11th a week from the original date. The payment is then supposed to be processed within 7 days and they use every second of that time. The first set of cards finally shipped on the 17th.

Even until this point, not terrible but here's where it goes downhill. I sent all the games in one box and the ipod and accessories in a second box. The ipod price quote was received and verified on the 13th instead of the 11th like the games. They complained that I had scratches on the ipod which i knew was not the case because of protective plastic covering for the entire life of the device, instantly knocking $20 off of the price. I sent an email debating the scratches and they raised the price back up but still not to the full amount (lost $3). 7 days passed from the time of verification on the ipod and still no card sent. I emailed them and a day later they finally sent the card. Now here it is August 27th, 23 days from the time the process started and I have finally received the credit for the ipod.

So what happened with the video game cards? NO CLUE. They shipped on the 17th but I have yet to see them. And for some ridiculous reason they shipped me 4 separate cards!!! Ignoring the fact that all 4 games came in the same box, had the same name on them and would go to the same address. Now I had to call customer service today and wait for a manager to contact me and ship the cards again. Will she call? Who knows? When will I get the rest of the cards? Who knows?

Keep in mind that these trade ins are not being handled by Best Buy directly, it is through a third party "Deal Tree". I would have been much better off trading into amazon or GS and ebaying the ipod. Terrible execution by Best Buy.

I just got a reply that they are sending me my card. I traded in an original Nintendo DS and got $57.00 out of it. Thats pretty good for an older hand held.

Read the "How It Works" tab:

Receiving Payment
A Best Buy gift card with the trade-in credit on it will be mailed to you at the address you provided when you registered at the online Trade-In Center. You should receive this card in 7-14 days after we have verified your trade-in item.

I imagine it could take up to 7 days from sending it in to being verified, meaning it could be 3 full weeks before you receive your credit. Sounds ludicrous to me.

Did anyone notice the blatant false advertising?
Turn your used games into Halo 3: ODST
Just successfully trade in any two games from this list, and you'll have at least $60 in Best Buy gift cards to purchase the new Halo 3: ODST. Visit the BestBuy.com Trade-In Center to get started. Go ›

Ghostbusters is on the list, TiV=$15
Killzone 2 is on the list, TiV=$24
G Force is on the list, TiV=$14
UFC 2009:Undisputed is on the list, TiV=$20
and the list goes on...

Haha, I traded in a pair of games on 9/8 and just got an email today (10/8) telling me they're mailing out the giftcard for it. I was *just* about to contact them asking about it, as the entire transaction was approved within the estimated times they gave.

[quote name='zohar']I'm confused as to why Amazon and Best Buy are doing this. To be more specific, when are they going to actually start selling used games back to us? I thought that was the whole point? Seems like they are just hoarding used games for now..

Also looks like they still have some pricing problems to work out...
78352511.png
[/QUOTE]
They are trying to destroy their largest competitor.

bread's done
Back