Best Buy Upgrade & Save - 01/08/12 to 01/28/12.

chatgirl4

Banned
Thanks to Taco5 for posting next weeks ad, which confirms the sale will begin on 1/8 & last through 1/28.

Offer excludes Music titles but any TV/Blu-Ray movie priced $9.99 or higher is included.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312851

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I think when Sunday rolls around if you just go to the BB site and sort the BR by price.

Here is a link to all the $9.99 movies. It's actually the $7.99-9.99 price, but sorted high to low.

Here is a link to all the $10-$14.99 movies sorted by low to high.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a lone copy of American Beauty at a third BBY.

Also picked up the last copy of Kick-Ass and The Crow.

Used a $15 reward zone certificate, $10 of which I have no idea where it came from. It doesn't show in the history why I have it.

Also picked up Rome S1 and S2 for $20 a piece after the trade in.

Yeah - where are these Game of Thrones discs usually kept? They show up as in stock at all stores, both DVD and blu version.

[quote name='leichstein']Has anyone been able to successfully price match a film to another store AND use the coupons?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

[quote name='karkyco']Yeah - where are these Game of Thrones discs usually kept? They show up as in stock at all stores, both DVD and blu version.[/QUOTE]

At my stores, they were just by the HBO series. Not on the shelf, but one of those attached shelves that are 1 DVD wide.

[quote name='yedgee']Picked up Alien, Aliens and Three Amigos.
$8 each after trade-in.

I'll be watching Three Amigos first.

"Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrhappi79']Yes El Guapo. You have a plethora of piñatas.[/QUOTE]

"Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?"

This was marked at $37.99 at my BB, but rang up for $12.99 before $5.00 upgrade coupon. So happy I can retire my non-anamorphic DVD now.

[quote name='karkyco']Yeah - where are these Game of Thrones discs usually kept? They show up as in stock at all stores, both DVD and blu version.[/QUOTE]

Where do you see that? I don't see them on the website?

I have done 2 trades so far at 2 different stores. At both stores the employees opened the cases and looked at the bottom of the discs. At one of the stores the person inspected them pretty closely and even rechecked a few like he wasn't going to take them because they were scratched. None of them were even that scratched just some minor marks. Isn't Best Buy just recycling these? So does the condition really matter?

I picked up some of the $0.01 game of thrones discs at my store.
Has anyone really been able to trade them in to get the coupon? If so did they give you any hassle about it?

Also someone said they were given photocopies of the coupon. So does that mean we can just copy the coupon our selves?

[quote name='kliiez8']"Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?"

This was marked at $37.99 at my BB, but rang up for $12.99 before $5.00 upgrade coupon. So happy I can retire my non-anamorphic DVD now.[/QUOTE]

"I like these guys. They are funny guys. Kill one of them!"

This movie is a classic! A steal at $8 after coupon. Bought it in a heartbeat.

since im lazy to go thro the pages. can you trade in anime dvds?

also any dvd i trade in goes toward a 5 dollar coupon and i have to go to the customer service to trade my dvds

we can add to the 9.99 pile

Uncle Buck - blu / dvd / digital

Wanted - blu / dvd / digital

Van Hellsing - blu / dvd / digital ( it may still be marked at 14.99, the copy at my best buy was until today it had a yellow 9.99 sticker over the 14.99 price from last week )

Guys... please.

Some of us are asking about the $.01 discs (Game of Thrones).

Could you help us, please? Where can we find those discs?

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Guys... please.

Could you help us, please? Where can we find those discs?[/QUOTE]
They were on a display with Boardwalk Empire in the couple stores I actually saw them at (not in the bluray isles but in a separate stand). They were down to only a small handful of copies last Thursday though so may be harder to find now.

You are not going to find them on the website unless you buy an HBO series on Blu-ray or DVD. Other than that, only in-store. You have to look in the HBO Blu and or DVD section. I found mine where the "Boardwalk Empire" sets were.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat262700050027&type=category

The DVD SKU is 4569262. The Blu-ray SKU is 4569253.

Finding these still in-store is definetly YMMV because people are snagging them up for .01 and selling them on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the store in Rockaway, NJ and their inventory said they had 8 but we couldn't find them anywhere. The salesperson was able to order one for me ship-to-store for. 01. Sucks I have to wait but hopefully I'll get it in a couple days.

On another note, it seems 50/50 was a misprint. The store didn't even have any in stock on hold for next Tuesday yet.

I did, if you actually look back a page.

Now I need to go and hunt some slipcovers at Target (Braveheart, American Beauty, Moon, Inglorious Basterds) and return the closed copy (minus the slipcover).

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Now I need to go and hunt some slipcovers at Target (Braveheart, American Beauty, Moon, Inglorious Basterds) and return the closed copy (minus the slipcover).[/QUOTE]

Sigh.

[quote name='elessar123']Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Is that a very bad move?

I really don't know... I have read some other guys doing similar things.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Is that a very bad move?

I really don't know... I have read some other guys doing similar things.[/QUOTE]

You are basically stealing the slipcover. Doing that is no different than just taking it off of the case and just walking out of the store with it in your pocket. It is no different than say, stealing the digital copy and walking out either. Sure it's not the main product, but it is PART of the main product and they may not be able to sell it if you take it.

Not everyone on the internet has morals so i wouldn't do it just because others are.

Is Idels of March worth it for $13? It looks good but I don't know if its something I would want to watch more than once. Looks like a talker.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Now I need to go and hunt some slipcovers at Target (Braveheart, American Beauty, Moon, Inglorious Basterds) and return the closed copy (minus the slipcover).[/QUOTE]That's a real dick move, BTW.

Could you help us, please? Where can we find those discs?[/QUOTE]Using the GoT discs as trade-in material for the Upgrade And Save promotion is an even bigger dick move, as those are supposed to be free add-ons when you buy a HBO series set.

[quote name='slowdive21']Where do you see that? I don't see them on the website?[/QUOTE]

Search on the website for Boardwalk Empire, then on the results find the link that indicates "free show sampler - find out how" and click on it. You can then see the 2 Game of Thrones sampler discs (DVD or Blu). Hope the blu is also $.01

I've never gotten the infatuation some have with slipcovers .

Just an extra step in getting the disc out of the case, and being pretty thin paper they tend to get dinged up over the years when packed to move etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never gotten the infatuation some have with slipcovers .

Just an extra step in getting the disc out of the case, and being pretty thin paper they tend to get dinged up over the years when packed to move etc.[/QUOTE]

It usually has prettier artwork. And OCD, knowing it's incomplete just bugs me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never gotten the infatuation some have with slipcovers .

Just an extra step in getting the disc out of the case, and being pretty thin paper they tend to get dinged up over the years when packed to move etc.[/QUOTE]

Ditto I throw all my slipcovers out, but I guess there is a market for them so I might start selling mine but what would some fetch, $4? Not worth the work really.

Traded in 4 DVDs today. Lady there just grabbed a receipt laying around with coupons stapled to it and gave it to me.....had 5 coupons on there. Works for me.

[quote name='elessar123']It usually has prettier artwork. And OCD, knowing it's incomplete just bugs me.[/QUOTE]

Occasionally true, but a lot of slipcovers just have the same art that's on the sleeve.

[quote name='DestroVega']Ditto I throw all my slipcovers out, but I guess there is a market for them so I might start selling mine but what would some fetch, $4? Not worth the work really.[/QUOTE]

I don't throw mine out unless they'redamaged and look crummy. But I don't care at all if they're missing when I buy them. I mean I'll grab a copy with as slipcover over one that doesn't have it just to have the whole package. But I won't not buy a movie because the slipcover is missing, or get pissed if one comes from Amazon without a slipcover etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Occasionally true, but a lot of slipcovers just have the same art that's on the sleeve.[/QUOTE]

Even then, it's sometimes less cropped, and better printing.

You know what bugs me a lot? My X-Men 90s series, vol 1-4 have slip cases. Vol 5 does not. I know it's OCD, but man it annoys me.

My two copies of Gunslinger Girl S2 were the same. One has, one doesn't. I sold the one that didn't.

[quote name='elessar123']You know what bugs me a lot? My X-Men 90s series, vol 1-4 have slip cases. Vol 5 does not. I know it's OCD, but man it annoys me.[/QUOTE]

The first pressings of the first three Fast and the Furious movies (read: The trilogy) have roman numerals on the spine. Fast and Furious has a IV on the spine (on both the artwork and slipcover). When the individual releases came out, not only did they give the first three slipcovers :)bomb:), they changed the artwork on the spine of the first four to regular numbers. Fast Five just has "5" on both the spine and the artwork.

I II III IV 5

:bomb:!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Scorch']The first pressings of the first three Fast and the Furious movies (read: The trilogy) have roman numerals on the spine. Fast and Furious has a IV on the spine (on both the artwork and slipcover). When the individual releases came out, not only did they give the first three slipcovers :)bomb:), they changed the artwork on the spine of the first four to regular numbers. Fast Five just has "5" on both the spine and the artwork.

I II III IV 5

:bomb:!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm laughing at you about it, but I'm sure my X-Men issue is just as funny on the outside =P

[quote name='elessar123']Even then, it's sometimes less cropped, and better printing.

You know what bugs me a lot? My X-Men 90s series, vol 1-4 have slip cases. Vol 5 does not. I know it's OCD, but man it annoys me.

My two copies of Gunslinger Girl S2 were the same. One has, one doesn't. I sold the one that didn't.[/QUOTE]
Did Volume 5 not release with a slipcover, or is it just that your copy is missing it? That's a collection I mean to finish purchasing, but it seems like I never get around to actually doing so.

Oh, and as for looking at the shelf and sighing, I have the same issue with Spice and Wolf. I bought the first printing of the Season 1 DVDs which doesn't match the art style at all for Season 2 (S2 matches their later printings of the S1 DVD). I also have the blu ray for S1, which leaves a big gaping hole in the top of the box due to it being in a blu ray case instead of a DVD one. I have to turn the box around on the shelf, and even then I can't look at it without knowing what's lying on the other side.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Did Volume 5 not release with a slipcover, or is it just that your copy is missing it? That's a collection I mean to finish purchasing, but it seems like I never get around to actually doing so.[/QUOTE]

First print of vol 5 had the slip cover, but I think the print run was lower. I bought the first 4 months after release, and 5 the first sale I found.

Oh, and when Tokyopop changed logos? My manga are so uneven, cause every series that I have that spanned that time frame changed spine styles. Arg! *stab stab*

We probably have enough people to form a support group, lol.

What bugs me more then no slipcover is when tv show box sets change their style like a family Guy for instance going from slimpacks to lets cram 4 DVDs in one case, or Smallcille going from big bulky carboard case to slimmer plastic case with DVDs crammed in. I happen to like the bigger boxes.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']What bugs me more then no slipcover is when tv show box sets change their style like a family Guy for instance going from slimpacks to lets cram 4 DVDs in one case, or Smallcille going from big bulky carboard case to slimmer plastic case with DVDs crammed in. I happen to like the bigger boxes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the changes being annoying. But I prefer the slimmer cases. The less space taken up on my shelf, the better as that's more time I can put off buying taller shelving when my current racks fill up! :D

Kind of moot for me now as I buy so few TV series as I rarely have the time/interest to rewatch a whole TV series.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed on the changes being annoying. But I prefer the slimmer cases. The less space taken up on my shelf, the better as that's more time I can put off buying taller shelving when my current racks fill up! :D

Kind of moot for me now as I buy so few TV series as I rarely have the time/interest to rewatch a whole TV series.[/QUOTE]

valid point. I don't watch anything on tv though ad I like to watch seasons as a whole instead of waiting week after week. I could get Netflix....but I dunno....i like owning them.

[quote name='Scorch']The first pressings of the first three Fast and the Furious movies (read: The trilogy) have roman numerals on the spine. Fast and Furious has a IV on the spine (on both the artwork and slipcover). When the individual releases came out, not only did they give the first three slipcovers :)bomb:), they changed the artwork on the spine of the first four to regular numbers. Fast Five just has "5" on both the spine and the artwork.

I II III IV 5

:bomb:!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

That's really god damn annoying. I didn't even notice that. I have I, II, 4. I'm going to get 5 soon.

getting back on topic... i think its a safer bet to get the blus you want before trading in the dvds and risk not getting the recycling receipt and being screwed. its not like the deal ends before the coupon does, don't they both end at the same time? so instead of just having the coupon handy and waiting for the desired blu to go on sale, why not hold on to the dvd until the blu goes on sale?

I have done two batches of trade ins and have yet to be given the receipt and have had. I problems. One set of coupons was photocopied one was the small pieces if cardstock.

Doesnt reall bother me because they both worked!

Traded in 2 HD DVDs and 2 DVDs and picked up:

The Departed
Fast & Furious
Knocked Up (blue, dvd, and digital)
Matrix Reloaded/Revolution

All $4.99 after coupon. Wanted to get Four Brothers also since the website said it was available at my local store. Couldn't find it on the shelf and asked someone there to help me and he told me that it got taken out of their inventory :(

Guy at CS just glanced at the discs and and gave me my receipt with coupon stapled to it. Coupon was not photocopied for mine.

Already picked up braveheart...stopped otw home from work and picked up the matrix reloaded/revolution combo pack and good will hunting which has the digital copy...im all about digital copies lol, $5 for a blu and dc is awesome! Will pick up the crow next, especially since it has the digital copy as well. I also nabbed a 0.01 game of thrones blu and the preorder keychain...though I'll prob just return my receipt and get my $5 back cause I'll probably get it from amazon.

Went to two stores, selection was awful. There were actually big empty sections on every rack except the family movies. Half the movies I wanted weren't in stock, but I still managed to pick up 12 blus.

I don't know if it's worth saving the rest of my DVD collection for more of these or if I should just dump it all in one or two wholesale lots on eBay. I'm tired of them taking up so much rom.

I took 3 DVDs and got a kindle fire with Kung fu panda 3D, sopranos season 1, and entourage season 7, but I was in a rush and noticed they only knocked 5 off of KFP -_- oh well.

bread's done
Back