Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean we're going to have "Fifa" thats made by the soccer league and the games actually suck, and then "EA Soccer" which will be the real game that everyone knows but its under a different name so a lot of people will blindly buy the wrong game based on namesake a la Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons?

Please let Madden go too EA
as someone else said, this was FIFA wanting to end the exclusivity deal unless it was paid a lot more. The NFL only wants their to be 1 game, this is exactly how the NFL wants it, they just license to the highest bidder exclusively and nobody will start to develop a game they don't have a license for so there's not really much competition on the bid.

as someone else said, this was FIFA wanting to end the exclusivity deal unless it was paid a lot more. The NFL only wants their to be 1 game, this is exactly how the NFL wants it, they just license to the highest bidder exclusively and nobody will start to develop a game they don't have a license for so there's not really much competition on the bid.
The NFL only cares about money. The NFL licensing exclusivity agreement lasts for a number of years and then anyone could outbid EA. Maybe EA gets first crack at the bid, that part I am not sure about.

Madden is the only NFL video game so people are going to buy the game and spend money on Ultimate Team no matter the quality of the game. The NFL and EA know this, it's an open secret at this point

The NFL only cares about money. The NFL licensing exclusivity agreement lasts for a number of years and then anyone could outbid EA. Maybe EA gets first crack at the bid, that part I am not sure of.

Madden is the only NFL video game so people are going to buy the game and spend money on Ultimate Team no matter the quality of the game. The NFL and EA know this, it's an open secret at this point
All of which is correct, but the contract requires an annual release. In order for someone else to bid AND get a game out in time they'd have to be building it before they even put a bid in. Madden has the backbone of the game already made to just update it every year with a modification they call a new feature and ship it again. Other companies don't have anything.

It's been on a year to year most of the time since the original 5 year deal expired, but yeah NFL just wants it's money for the exclusive license and EA is the only one that makes sense to do it currently.

All of which is correct, but the contract requires an annual release. In order for someone else to bid AND get a game out in time they'd have to be building it before they even put a bid in. Madden has the backbone of the game already made to just update it every year with a modification they call a new feature and ship it again. Other companies don't have anything.

It's been on a year to year most of the time since the original 5 year deal expired, but yeah NFL just wants it's money for the exclusive license and EA is the only one that makes sense to do it currently.
I believe the first thing you said is correct but for the second thing EA recently re-upped the exclusivity deal until either 2026 or 2027. It was never year-by-year

I believe the first thing you said is correct but for the second thing EA recently re-upped the exclusivity deal until either 2026 or 2027. It was never year-by-year
Just checked and current deal made in 2020 was through 2025 with an option to extend to 2026, you are correct. Hadn't looked really since 19ish so that does make sense. It did have some 1-2 year agreements though in the mid 2010s

It did have some 1-2 year agreements though in the mid 2010s
Nah I don't think so, there was the first exclusive agreement around 2005 (killed 2K football and there was a class action lawsuit brought against EA that the plaintiffs won) and then there was a second one in like 2013. This new one was the third.

I am just going off memory, I do not feel like doing actual research lol

Slightly off Topic but figure one of you vets can answer this.

I have only been shopping at Best Buy routinely the last few years. I’ve been banking a lot of points from Best Buy and was an elite plus member the last few years. Recently they changed the system and got rid of elite plus. And everyone who was banking points were no longer allowed to bank, unless they have a CC. Luckily I had a CC so could still bank

I was just wondering, are these rules something they change often? I want to save my banked points for something big but if they are known to mess with the rules every year that wouldn’t be the best decision lol

I have only been shopping at Best Buy routinely the last few years. I’ve been banking a lot of points from Best Buy and was an elite plus member the last few years. Recently they changed the system and got rid of elite plus. And everyone who was banking points were no longer allowed to bank, unless they have a CC. Luckily I had a CC so could still bank

I was just wondering, are these rules something they change often? I want to save my banked points for something big but if they are known to mess with the rules every year that wouldn’t be the best decision lol
They have been cutting away at the elite/elite plus members for years until they finally killed it completely this year. I wouldn't put any faith in best buy treating any programs as sacred at this point.

They have been cutting away at the elite/elite plus members for years until they finally killed it completely this year. I wouldn't put any faith in best buy treating any programs as sacred at this point.

Agreed. At this point Best Buy is basically acting if they are under new management/ownership. The company today isn't what it was pre-covid. Price matching policies have changed greatly, manager powers have been diluted, stores no longer answer phones, and the call centers are outsourced internationally. My local store barely has any items in stock, and now without elite plus, I'm stuck waiting a week or more for ship to store. And on top of that, they keep mailing expensive items in paper bags when I ship to home, and 99% of the time the item arrives damaged.

Agreed. At this point Best Buy is basically acting if they are under new management/ownership. The company today isn't what it was pre-covid. Price matching policies have changed greatly, manager powers have been diluted, stores no longer answer phones, and the call centers are outsourced internationally. My local store barely has any items in stock, and now without elite plus, I'm stuck waiting a week or more for ship to store. And on top of that, they keep mailing expensive items in paper bags when I ship to home, and 99% of the time the item arrives damaged.
Well didn't a new CEO (Corie Barrie) take over in 2019? Judging from the news over the last few years she is your typical corporate scumbag and Best Buy has been going notably downhill in recent years so the two things would seem to correlate. Nowadays you walk into a store and it's like a ghost town and purposely understaffed and they treat their employees like garbage so it's a revolving door. So sad, it used to be a nice place to shop.....

Well didn't a new CEO (Corie Barrie) take over in 2019? Judging from the news over the last few years she is your typical corporate scumbag and Best Buy has been going notably downhill in recent years so the two things would seem to correlate. Nowadays you walk into a store and it's like a ghost town and purposely understaffed and they treat their employees like garbage so it's a revolving door. So sad, it used to be a nice place to shop.....
Their stores are basically delivery hubs at this point. Anytime I've ordered something from best buy recently it's been delivered by a geek squad van from a local store.

So much this.

Woman CEO doesn't understand her own company's core competencies and has run the business straight into the ground. While leaving their primary customers and enthusiasts in the dust. They are some kind of weird general-purpose retailer selling things like multicolor LED lightbulbs, exercise equipment, and bike locks. Congratulations, you are Sears now.

So much this.

Woman CEO doesn't understand her own company's core competencies and has run the business straight into the ground. While leaving their primary customers and enthusiasts in the dust. They are some kind of weird general-purpose retailer selling things like multicolor LED lightbulbs, exercise equipment, and bike locks. Congratulations, you are Sears now.
As much as I dislike how Best Buy is changing its business, everything they're doing from a business standpoint makes sense. Physical video games make them no money. Sales on physical video games make even less sense.

Switching to higher ticket, higher margin items makes sense. Does it do anything for me? Nope. But that doesn't mean Best Buy isn't making smart moves.

I don't think any of these are going to save them, but I'm not sure what else they could possibly do at this point. In some ways, Best Buy is one of those retailers that are sort of stuck between the mainstream consumer electronics stores like Target/Walmart and the higher-end appliances like Sam's Club, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards.

It doesn't fit nicely in either category, and consumers don't associate either category with it. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, Best Buy becomes almost entirely an online retailer.

None of the company's problems are due to the CEO -- and certainly nothing to do with gender. It's just a retail business that's struggling to be relevant in changing times. Would like to see Best Buy survive, but between physical media going away and television sales going to Target, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costso --- what else are they selling that consumers don't usually associate with another retailer? The answer is pretty much nothing.

As much as I dislike how Best Buy is changing its business, everything they're doing from a business standpoint makes sense. Physical video games make them no money. Sales on physical video games make even less sense.

Switching to higher ticket, higher margin items makes sense. Does it do anything for me? Nope. But that doesn't mean Best Buy isn't making smart moves.

I don't think any of these are going to save them, but I'm not sure what else they could possibly do at this point. In some ways, Best Buy is one of those retailers that are sort of stuck between the mainstream consumer electronics stores like Target/Walmart and the higher-end appliances like Sam's Club, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards.

It doesn't fit nicely in either category, and consumers don't associate either category with it. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, Best Buy becomes almost entirely an online retailer.

None of the company's problems are due to the CEO -- and certainly nothing to do with gender. It's just a retail business that's struggling to be relevant in changing times. Would like to see Best Buy survive, but between physical media going away and television sales going to Target, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costso --- what else are they selling that consumers don't usually associate with another retailer? The answer is pretty much nothing.
Computers are really the only thing they have in droves that you can't go to a dept store for. Yes you can get computers "anywhere" for low end ones, and anything you want via amazon - but there is still something to be said about physically checking them out first before pulling the trigger.

Granted just playing around on them and shopping for a better deal or even a used one still doesn't make bestbuy any money. I personally hate the apple store. but once in a blue if my GF is makeup shopping at a mall (talk about something else that is dying...) or something I'll stroll in and check out all the new hardware, put my hands on the "Plus" sized phones, then deduce every time its too big. I have recently converted "back" to PC, so again its purely novelty, but its a nice store and its still fun to check out the new computers.... But not everyone is like me, some have undying loyalty to apple and don't need to look at a PC before they order it, some gamers order high powered gaming PC's based off specs alone... I understand those caveats as well.

So much this.

Does that make Jim Ryan a woman?

Computers are really the only thing they have in droves that you can't go to a dept store for. Yes you can get computers "anywhere" for low end ones, and anything you want via amazon - but there is still something to be said about physically checking them out first before pulling the trigger.

Granted just playing around on them and shopping for a better deal or even a used one still doesn't make bestbuy any money. I personally hate the apple store. but once in a blue if my GF is makeup shopping at a mall (talk about something else that is dying...) or something I'll stroll in and check out all the new hardware, put my hands on the "Plus" sized phones, then deduce every time its too big. I have recently converted "back" to PC, so again its purely novelty, but its a nice store and its still fun to check out the new computers.... But not everyone is like me, some have undying loyalty to apple and don't need to look at a PC before they order it, some gamers order high powered gaming PC's based off specs alone... I understand those caveats as well.
I feel like computers/laptops are even slipping away from Best Buy. I bought my family's recent laptop through Costco, and it was a perfectly fine experience, and a very competitive price. I actually associate computers with Office Depot/Max, not Best Buy (at least not anymore). If I use Best Buy at all, it's at this point just to compare pricing, and honestly, Costco and Sam's Club have much better deals.

Pretty much the only time I shop at Best buy nowadays is when they're the only place in town to get something, like when I got my 8bitdo Pro 2. I never get any certificates anymore, and even though I still check the Deal of the Day every day, they haven't had anything half decent in forever.

I feel like computers/laptops are even slipping away from Best Buy. I bought my family's recent laptop through Costco, and it was a perfectly fine experience, and a very competitive price. I actually associate computers with Office Depot/Max, not Best Buy (at least not anymore). If I use Best Buy at all, it's at this point just to compare pricing, and honestly, Costco and Sam's Club have much better deals.
I would argue that Bestbuy has a better selection then big box stores and higher end computers. If you want a prebuilt or something specific, bestbuy probably has it to demo. I.E. Microsoft surface lineup, pretty full Lenovo lineup, plenty of Dell's and Toshibas and things of that nature, even some alienware.

With that said I rarely buy from bestbuy because on most things they sell I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

The only time I shop at best buy is when I check to make sure my metroid prime 4 preorder is still in place. Gotta get that last 20% off.

I would argue that Bestbuy has a better selection then big box stores and higher end computers. If you want a prebuilt or something specific, bestbuy probably has it to demo. I.E. Microsoft surface lineup, pretty full Lenovo lineup, plenty of Dell's and Toshibas and things of that nature, even some alienware.

With that said I rarely buy from bestbuy because on most things they sell I can get it cheaper elsewhere.
Sure, more selection - no question. That said, exactly as you said, better prices/value elsewhere. I would argue that if you're in for a high-end computer, you're probably savvy enough to just order directly from one of the manufacturers. A mainstream consumer may be intimidated by all the options but I would think someone who's looking for a high end PC or a premium gaming laptop wouldn't be phased at all.

All of this explains why Best Buy is souring with investors and has reportedly been downgrading all its sales projections for this year.

CNBC article from 8/12/22

Best Buy cuts jobs across the country, after warning of slower sales

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/12/best-buy-cuts-hundreds-of-store-jobs-as-sales-soften-according-to-report.html

Yeah computer wise I got a better deal from bjs than any bestbuy had. And I am not sure I would say bestbuy has a larger selection over most retailers.

Well those are wholesale clubs that charge an annual membership fee so it's a bit of unequal comparison. Then again, if Best Buy's stupid Totaltech membership or whatever the hell is called is what it takes to get good deals then maybe there is something there.

On a side note, we don't have any Office Max/Office Depot around here anymore since they closed all of them in the area. Staples is still around though. Even if I didn't build my own PCs none of them are really the place I would think of personally.

I understand there are membership fees, but I think it's fair ro say no one joins wholesale clubs to just buy a computer. Big fan of Costco, which more than pays for itself with cheaper gas. Add their cc, and you get 4% cash back, too.

I was skeptical about wholesale clubs, but Costco is phenomenal - will stay a member there. Have been far less impressed with Sam's Club, but still pretty good if that's one of your only options.

interesting timing.  I just bought an unlocked Google PIxel 6a.  I was going to order it from Best Buy and pick it up curbside.  I haven't been in a Best Buy since before the pandemic I think.  

Neither the Best Buy near my job nor the one near my house had what I wanted in stock.  Could get it next weekend for curbside pick up.

Checked Amazon.  Same price.  $1 buck off the case if you buy it with the phone.

Ordered Saturday late afternoon.  Phone was delivered Sunday around 7pm.  About 24 hours later.

Case wont be here until tomorrow.  

Saved me a trip to the store.  And got it to me several days sooner (almost a week sooner on the phone itself).

One area Best Buy used to be better (maybe still is?) is price adjustments.

Phone is $30 cheaper yesterday.  Amazon wouldn't do anything for me.  I can return it and reorder.  However I would have to pay return shipping since it was Sold by Google you can't return at Kohls. 

In the past Best Buy would have given me $30 credit in about 5 mins of chat on their website.

Amazon customer service has gone to hell over the years.  When I bought my PS4 at launch from them the controller had a badly sticking shoulder button.  They ended up giving me enough credit to buy the controller again.  Told me to keep the busted one. 

The thing I don’t understand at this point with Best Buy is why they’re clinging to retail space but dramatically decreasing their sales floor footage in favor of warehouse space for store pick-up. They haven’t really closed many stores and yet they’re continuing to pay retail lease rates for what amounts to glorified warehouses.

They’re making it abundantly clear they’re all in on online shopping and store pickup, but why do they even have a retail floor at all anymore? Consolidate some store coverage areas and close the store completely rather than the pittance of floor selection they throw out anymore.

Then there’s the fact they’ve gutted any attempt at customer loyalty or programs around them. A few years back it seemed like they had finally rebounded and were righting the ship but it sadly seems like they’re back floundering without much of a coherent or a plan for the future that makes sense. Quite simply, they’ve basically just become Amazon-lite, with the only real reason to shop there being an alternative to giving your money to Amazon.

The thing I don’t understand at this point with Best Buy is why they’re clinging to retail space but dramatically decreasing their sales floor footage in favor of warehouse space for store pick-up. They haven’t really closed many stores and yet they’re continuing to pay retail lease rates for what amounts to glorified warehouses.

They’re making it abundantly clear they’re all in on online shopping and store pickup, but why do they even have a retail floor at all anymore? Consolidate some store coverage areas and close the store completely rather than the pittance of floor selection they throw out anymore.

Then there’s the fact they’ve gutted any attempt at customer loyalty or programs around them. A few years back it seemed like they had finally rebounded and were righting the ship but it sadly seems like they’re back floundering without much of a coherent or a plan for the future that makes sense. Quite simply, they’ve basically just become Amazon-lite, with the only real reason to shop there being an alternative to giving your money to Amazon.
Hubert Joly understood the importance of things like good will in retaining customers, his successor only sees red and black and it is not going to work out well for them in the long run.

Costco works if you're a large family and need bulk items. I've found that their pricing often fools bad consumers that don't price compare. For some items, they're absolutely excellent deals but in the time since we were gifted a year of membership I've not once found anything of use from them. For a household of two, they're a terrible proposition.

Oh and warehouse vibes are very boomer. I can't stand being in the place for very long because I hate the atmosphere.

Costco works if you're a large family and need bulk items. I've found that their pricing often fools bad consumers that don't price compare. For some items, they're absolutely excellent deals but in the time since we were gifted a year of membership I've not once found anything of use from them. For a household of two, they're a terrible proposition.

Oh and warehouse vibes are very boomer. I can't stand being in the place for very long because I hate the atmosphere.
Boomer vibes as to warehouse clubs? It's just a business model used to make consumers self-select themselves into a buying category. It works to offset costs/target inventory and manage expenses.

Anyways, I agree Costco/Sam's aren't for everyone. For me, Costco has easily saved me more money. The low gas prices definitely pay for the membership costs. Add the 4% cash back Visa on top, and it's definitely worth it for me nowadays.

Hubert Joly understood the importance of things like good will in retaining customers, his successor only sees red and black and it is not going to work out well for them in the long run.
Need to bring back Hubert Joly, both the CEO and CAG member.

Boomer vibes as to warehouse clubs? It's just a business model used to make consumers self-select themselves into a buying category. Works to offset costs/target inventory.

I agree Costco/Sam's aren't for everyone. For me, Costco has easily saved me more money. The low gas prices definitely pay for the membership costs. Add the 4% cash back Visa on top, and it's definitely worth it for me nowadays.
Costco business model is fantastic for the members and as a company to invest into as well.

How does Best Buy do with launch day deliveries of games? I plan to preorder god of war but want to make sure I have it day 1. Would rather not go to the store to pick it up but will if the shipping is often delayed

How does Best Buy do with launch day deliveries of games? I plan to preorder god of war but want to make sure I have it day 1. Would rather not go to the store to pick it up but will if the shipping is often delayed
Best buy no longer promises release day delivery. Even the game page says "ships by release day", so if you want to guarantee you get it day 1 you would need to pick it up in store.

For me, in PA, it comes via UPS. I'd say over the last year I've gotten it on release day about 70% of the time, a day late the other 30% of the time. Once something went horribly wrong and I didn't get it for a week and I went and got it from their store itself the next day but I think that can happen with any shipping service.

I've been trying Gamestop online ordering recently for my known day 1 buys. Only have one shipment thus far but it shipped from a PA delivery hub the day before and got here at noon on launch day so I'm giving them my business for now.

Best Buy is definitely going to be one of those companies that is now, in a post-COVID shutdown world, stuck in the middle. It's prices aren't the lowest and it doesn't offer a service that is top of class. Companies that are in the middle of those 2 pillars are going to fail in the next few years if they don't change. I think we all see the companies that used COVID as an excuse to cut expenses, and I believe consumers are going to say "well if you're going to give me shitty service (usually not the fault of the workers but the company running those workers into the ground), I'll just buy on Amazon".

TotalTech was a start IF it had been fully fleshed out. How many actual exclusive sales have there been? I feel like the old MyBestBuy Elite Plus got better sales and it was free. I signed up for it because I knew I had large items I needed to buy this year, but there's almost 0 change I'm renewing. For the average person who doesn't need a home delivery anytime soon, $199 is a waste. It will be interesting to see what happens to all these weird warranties that were added to items that were purchased this year (not talking the big stuff, but like the random controller that got a TotalTech warranty added).

Best Buy is definitely going to be one of those companies that is now, in a post-COVID shutdown world, stuck in the middle. It's prices aren't the lowest and it doesn't offer a service that is top of class. Companies that are in the middle of those 2 pillars are going to fail in the next few years if they don't change. I think we all see the companies that used COVID as an excuse to cut expenses, and I believe consumers are going to say "well if you're going to give me shitty service (usually not the fault of the workers but the company running those workers into the ground), I'll just buy on Amazon".

TotalTech was a start IF it had been fully fleshed out. How many actual exclusive sales have there been? I feel like the old MyBestBuy Elite Plus got better sales and it was free. I signed up for it because I knew I had large items I needed to buy this year, but there's almost 0 change I'm renewing. For the average person who doesn't need a home delivery anytime soon, $199 is a waste. It will be interesting to see what happens to all these weird warranties that were added to items that were purchased this year (not talking the big stuff, but like the random controller that got a TotalTech warranty added).
I unfortunately stopped shopping at best buy randomly as I used to. I have many a friend who worked and still works there, at times when I was nearby I'd stop in to say hello and randomly buy a movie or video game. Today my local store doesn't even stock the shelves, they keep most media in warehouse. There's literally no way to window shop, I have to check online beforehand if an item is sold in store. And most times nowadays it isn't.

best buy designed a system where there is no reason for me to stop in a store any longer.

I unfortunately stopped shopping at best buy randomly as I used to. I have many a friend who worked and still works there, at times when I was nearby I'd stop in to say hello and randomly buy a movie or video game. Today my local store doesn't even stock the shelves, they keep most media in warehouse. There's literally no way to window shop, I have to check online beforehand if an item is sold in store. And most times nowadays it isn't.

best buy designed a system where there is no reason for me to stop in a store any longer.
What's more, they no longer let you ship just about everything to the store to avoid shipping costs (you can sometimes still do this but it's not available universally and there doesn't appear to be any flat "spend x get free shipping" rule either). So not only can you not "window shop" in that same way, they got rid of a shipping system that I assume resulted in lower shipping costs for them while driving foot traffic to the store where someone might make an impulse purchase. This, combined with shipping costs (and killing of Elite Plus) has probably cut my Best Buy spending by maybe 75% of what it used to be. I've also basically stopped using my best buy credit card (no real reason to anymore other than the points that I don't use as much).

Man, I know I’ve made my comments on Best Buy on the past but it’s a real bummer they seem lost in a post-covid world. For a while they seem like they could have figured it out but man, they really do just seem like they’re treading water now.

Like, how do you completely gut your floor space for store pickup warehouse space, and still not have things available for same day pickup in your stores?!? What are they doing back there?

Bb is done, went yesterday they need Black Friday to come asap but after that what? Shelves have no games, registered are closed . Employees standing around with no customers to help.

bread's done
Back