Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE- So universal got back to me and sent me a 4K code for both Jurassic World Dominion theatrical and extended versions went right into Movies Anywhere and Vudu both copies. I have an extra code if any wants to get for $5 AC or good trade, will also put into trade section.
I'll take it if it's not already been grabbed.

Death stranding DC ps5 $20 at BB. Keep on keepin on

Back 4 blood ps5 $9 at bb I think sold out tho. $7 at amazon

Got a new iPad for Christmas, traded the old one in at BB because they had the best value. This is before I remembered they don't allow purchase of gaming credit like GameStop does with gift cards sooooooooooo my question is: what happens if I buy something with the credit, then exchange for gaming credit. Pretty sure I know the answer that it will refuse based on the original payment BUT figured it was worth asking just in case that's a dirty little secret/loophole. May have shot myself in the foot over $40 difference between storefronts because I can't think of a thing I'll use this on now. :S

Got a new iPad for Christmas, traded the old one in at BB because they had the best value. This is before I remembered they don't allow purchase of gaming credit like GameStop does with gift cards sooooooooooo my question is: what happens if I buy something with the credit, then exchange for gaming credit. Pretty sure I know the answer that it will refuse based on the original payment BUT figured it was worth asking just in case that's a dirty little secret/loophole. May have shot myself in the foot over $40 difference between storefronts because I can't think of a thing I'll use this on now. :S
It’s a bit impractical maybe, but if you can find a game selling at Best Buy for less than what you can get trade credit for at GameStop, or at least break even, you could always buy them and trade them in

For a while it’s been iffy if you’d get a pricematch with them. GameStop isn’t listed as an online store they pricematch for a while now.
This just happened to me today. I went on the site chat to request a price match on a game with GameStop but the rep denied it and said that they don't match them. I tried again a second time with a different person and they did it no problem, so YMMV.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/price-match-guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002

^ There is Best Buy's price match policy published in black & white. Under the qualifications I would point out that at the top it states "We match local retail competitors (including their online prices)" AND further down "At the time of sale, we price match all local retail competitors (including their online prices)", sooooo if one of these chat reps denies it saying GameStop is not eligible then it is technically going against the written word of the policy as stated on their site.

Exactly we got screwed on the elite plus.
My wallet has talked, after their shenanigans I went months without shopping there. If it wasn’t for certain deals they had during Christmas I wouldn’t have shopped there, I did always check elsewhere though.

It’s a bit impractical maybe, but if you can find a game selling at Best Buy for less than what you can get trade credit for at GameStop, or at least break even, you could always buy them and trade them in
TRUE. Forgot that happens frequently but never really partook unless it was some crazy 200% ROI like some CoD game was not too long ago. Even at 1:1 I can whittle down the credit over time if I have to. Thanks!

Exactly we got screwed on the elite plus.
No kidding, went from a lot of impulse purchases and always spending at least $3,500 a year through my credit card if not directly at best buy to last year where I think I put a total of $200 on my best buy card all year. At Best Buy or otherwise. The loss of elite plus has made the card more or less pointless (except being able to bank points) so now I use my amazon card when I make big purchases. All so they could try to unsuccessfully sell me a $150 membership (or whatever the cost is).

My wallet has talked, after their shenanigans I went months without shopping there. If it wasn’t for certain deals they had during Christmas I wouldn’t have shopped there, I did always check elsewhere though.
Only reason I spent any significant money at best buy last year was cause I had $80 in points banked up and needed a new keurig (well a ninja but semantics) so bought one there at black Friday. It was same price everywhere but I had the points to use. So really that was a $20 sale for them and the last of my best buy reward points officially ending the main incentive to shop there. Outside of this I think I just picked up one or two games at super clearance when I was next door to a best buy and walked in to take a look.

Adding to it, their website now makes me reset my password every single time I log in which is enough to have cost them about $50 in additional sales over the year cause it was annoying and Amazon price matched anyway.

We've got an outlet store near us and I got a French door fridge for a hair over $1,000 after tax and delivery because it had a small ding on the door. Otherwise I don't buy anything save for black Friday deals

I have the CC and am sitting on a lot of banked points, so I’m hoping they don’t force me to spend them anytime soon lol

I only made my two purchases last year because A) I wanted it right away and they were the only ones in town that had it, and 2) I had $10 in reward certificates. They never have good Deals of the Day anymore, so Best Buy is pretty much dead to me.

Adding to it, their website now makes me reset my password every single time I log in which is enough to have cost them about $50 in additional sales over the year cause it was annoying and Amazon price matched anyway.
I discovered that this only happens to me when I'm running the uBlock Origin plug-in with Firefox. If I disable it then I can log in just fine.

No kidding, went from a lot of impulse purchases and always spending at least $3,500 a year through my credit card if not directly at best buy to last year where I think I put a total of $200 on my best buy card all year. At Best Buy or otherwise. The loss of elite plus has made the card more or less pointless (except being able to bank points) so now I use my amazon card when I make big purchases. All so they could try to unsuccessfully sell me a $150 membership (or whatever the cost is).

Only reason I spent any significant money at best buy last year was cause I had $80 in points banked up and needed a new keurig (well a ninja but semantics) so bought one there at black Friday. It was same price everywhere but I had the points to use. So really that was a $20 sale for them and the last of my best buy reward points officially ending the main incentive to shop there. Outside of this I think I just picked up one or two games at super clearance when I was next door to a best buy and walked in to take a look.

Lmfao I’m glad I’m not the only one. That freaking password reset whenever I try to log in on browser was hella annoying. Hasn’t happened to me in a while tho. Idk what stopped it

I discovered that this only happens to me when I'm running the uBlock Origin plug-in with Firefox. If I disable it then I can log in just fine.
Wish this was the explanation but it has happened to me on multiple browsers including ones without it.

Lmfao I’m glad I’m not the only one. That freaking password reset whenever I try to log in on browser was hella annoying. Hasn’t happened to me in a while tho. Idk what stopped it
It stopped for a while but just started up again. Now it won't let you reset to an existing password (at least it let you put in the same one before) so now every time I want to check out at best buy I have to go through password reset process and create an entirely new password. Every.Single. Time. Not only is it annoying, but it's a security issue too (people will inevitably pick easier to remember passwords if you make them change it too much which is why it is no longer best practice to require password changes every 60 days). I attempted like 8 months ago to open a support request with best buy to call out the problem and after about 20 minutes I gave up trying to explain to the rep what was happening cause they clearly didn't understand - they couldn't get past the idea that maybe I had just forgotten my password.

February 14th is the date given as when the rewards change goes into effect.  No more points unless you have a BB credit card.

The points weren’t much, but they were a deciding factor when I was deciding where to get my last washer from.  

So what you're saying is, it's literally "pointless" shopping at Best Buy now. Sorry, I had to, I will see myself out.

I missed the ascent: cyber edition 😢 been waiting on that one to go on sale for awhile. Did anyone by chance get an extra copy? I'd be willing to do a trade, I have a lot of special editions, collectibles, etc.

February 14th is the date given as when the rewards change goes into effect. No more points unless you have a BB credit card.

The points weren’t much, but they were a deciding factor when I was deciding where to get my last washer from.
Where are you seeing this?

Wish I had seen this before the holidays. I have the card so theoretically nothing changes, but all this makes me question hoarding points for big purchases.

I would only get points if I used my cc and chose to get points over 0% interest. I always chose 0% and never got points. Just bought a $1800 laptop from them

Does this mean we have to use our points before the change? If we don't have a BB Credit card.
GxXWMid.jpg

I just got this e-mail yesterday. From what I understand it sounds like they will be auto-issuing rewards certificates using whatever points you have banked if you don't have a Best Buy credit card??

Wish I had seen this before the holidays. I have the card so theoretically nothing changes, but all this makes me question hoarding points for big purchases.
I’m in the same boat. I have the CC but Have like $840 worth of points. Wondering if I should spend them sooner rather than horde and wait if it’s only a matter of time until they make me use them

GxXWMid.jpg

I just got this e-mail yesterday. From what I understand it sounds like they will be auto-issuing rewards certificates using whatever points you have banked if you don't have a Best Buy credit card??
Sounds like it, and presumably they'll round down.

Does anyone know if we will still be able to earn points by posting reviews? (8 reviews max per year) That's how I've gotten the majority of my points the past few years after buying so many games when they still had the Gamer's Club and afterwards during good sales. It's not mentioned in the new terms, so my current thought is that that is going away too...  :cry:

The person running Best Buy is doing an amazing job running things into the ground. They're overplaying their hand as the last electronic B&M store, and judging by their recent remodels, they look like they're carrying less stock in stores too.

Does anyone know if we will still be able to earn points by posting reviews? (8 reviews max per year) That's how I've gotten the majority of my points the past few years after buying so many games when they still had the Gamer's Club and afterwards during good sales. It's not mentioned in the new terms, so my current thought is that that is going away too... :cry:
I had 3 more reviews to max out my 8 for the year this past Dec and for some reason, the reviews didn't register for points even though they went live. I just did a bunch yesterday and am waiting to see if it'll work.

I had 3 more reviews to max out my 8 for the year this past Dec and for some reason, the reviews didn't register for points even though they went live. I just did a bunch yesterday and am waiting to see if it'll work.
I think the last one I did was in November 2022, and everything worked fine and I got the points, and that review maxed out my 2022 review count, but I haven't done any this year yet. I'm hoping I can do a few more to get one last $5 reward certificate.

ouch disney steelbooks are $38.99 now
This may be what I feared. If they're planning to offer free shipping with no minimums, which is a dumb business by itself given shipping costs have risen causing all sellers to bump up shipping costs, then BB may be just building in that cost by raising prices.

This may be what I feared. If they're planning to offer free shipping with no minimums, which is a dumb business by itself given shipping costs have risen causing all sellers to bump up shipping costs, then BB may be just building in that cost by raising prices.
The studios set the prices so free shipping has nothing to do with it. Steelbook prices were already inching past $35 last year. Prices will keep going up as physical media continues to get more niche.

Has anyone noticed shenanigans lately with bestbuy.com? A few days ago I ordered something through my phone. When I got there to do my pick up, I auto logged in on my phone to get the barcode. Somehow it said password wrong and made me change it.

Today I went to order something while logged in, and it had somehow deleted my best buy card that has been saved on my account for years. It acted as if I never had a saved card before and manually had to re-enter all my info in.

Has anyone noticed shenanigans lately with bestbuy.com? A few days ago I ordered something through my phone. When I got there to do my pick up, I auto logged in on my phone to get the barcode. Somehow it said password wrong and made me change it.

Today I went to order something while logged in, and it had somehow deleted my best buy card that has been saved on my account for years. It acted as if I never had a saved card before and manually had to re-enter all my info in.
been that way forever for me. i keep getting emails every other week that i need to reset password. probably someone trying to log into my account

No, but this does remind me of when I was still on Android they pushed out an update that literally broke my account for the app. I'd be logged in, but couldn't do anything with my account. It just wouldn't load details, from purchases, to orders, to points; nothing. It literally remained broken until I swapped to iPhone maybe a year later. I tried everything, uninstall, delete cache, logout/in but their app was just trash.

Could be another round of awful from them.

bread's done
Back