Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
$10 for me. Usually never get these lol
I firmly believe these don’t exist any longer. I’ve been a member of Best Buy for over 20 years through the various programs and name changes. I did use to see promos like this a decade ago. Nothing anywhere in recent times.

I got $5 and wish it would work on digital currency. I have nothing to buy there unless ELAC speakers magically get an insane deal.

Still nothing for me... points still sitting there.

I opted to put something in my cart (Theatrhythim Final Bar Line - Switch) and went to checkout to see if it would show the cert anyway, nope. I must be way down the list on this.

I got $5 and wish it would work on digital currency. I have nothing to buy there unless ELAC speakers magically get an insane deal.
Keep in mind you can preorder something that's really far off from release and then just cancel it before the order is fulfilled and you'll get your cert reissued (I feel like it took a day or two last time I did this) with a new expiration date. If you have multiple certs being used on an order, it'll combine them into a new larger cert.

I seldom ever get those bonus certs so oh well.

Had a $5 cert however I earned so used that towards GTAV on PS5 ($20 atm). May be I'll finally play it now ... lol.

Keep in mind you can preorder something that's really far off from release and then just cancel it before the order is fulfilled and you'll get your cert reissued (I feel like it took a day or two last time I did this) with a new expiration date. If you have multiple certs being used on an order, it'll combine them into a new larger cert.
Wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing away with that as well, if not already then sooner or later.

Wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing away with that as well, if not already then sooner or later.
Doubtful given that they rarely have certs and the whole point of them is to get sales. The only thing I could see happening is if they switch over to physical only cert rewards whenever they do the freebies.

If it does, that's how it goes. I try to only buy things I really want and while I sometimes change my mind I'm not going to use a $5 cert just because I have one if there's nothing I actually want and am on the verge of buying even without it.

Callisto Protocol for ps4 was 20 bucks but already showing up as OOS for me. Trying to see what I else I can use the 5 dollar cert and a random gift card on.

My $5 coupon email came today cashing out my remaining points.   I have through 7/1.  So two months to make a decision or opt to attempt to churn the coupon to use later.

what year is it?

I reminisce about doing that at best buy and GameStop over a decade ago. I haven’t seen one at Best Buy in ages.
Yeah the last early release my BestBuy did was for Mortal Kombat 11 way back in 2019.

It appears that Best Buy was selling an i9/32gb/rtx4080/2tb SSD gaming PC for $879.99 :hot: .  Did anyone here able to get one?  Just curious.

[attachment=37915:Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.26.58 AM(1).png]

Yay I got that $5 certificate and now i can use if towards a new controller and maybe warranty. Can we use this in-store I need to break a $100 bill?

Yay I got that $5 certificate and now i can use if towards a new controller and maybe warranty. Can we use this in-store I need to break a $100 bill?
You should be able to use it in store. They may be able to pull it by phone number (not sure)... but in the app hit the person icon, scroll to the membership section, hit "Rewards" and scroll down to Reward Certificates and there's a barcode for it. There's also the option to print it from that page if you have a printer (or do this from the website). You also should be able to screenshot the coupon so you don't have to fumble with the app in store.

No surprise. TotalTech was always a joke that preyed on the least savviest consumers to sucker then into paying.

Sorry BBY, some vague "members-only" pricing is not going to get me to spend $50 a year on your new program.  20% off all video games again will though ;)

Last edited:
this trend of needing paid membership trend to shop needs to stop
Thankfully it's pretty easy to live without this. I have no paid memberships to any store programs. Amazon still has free shipping for over $25. Best Buy has free shipping over a certain amount as well. I don't typically need extra time on returns. I never bothered with GCU either because back then I rarely bought new releases and other stores seemed to have sales that brought things down to gcu levels.

this trend of needing paid membership trend to shop needs to stop

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Well, it depends. Membership (or club) stores like Costco are IMHO great. When well managed, club stores can provide a cultivated selection of high quality products at exceptional discounts.

Pretty easy to see Best Buy is NOT being managed too well right now. They feel like Radio Shack - flailing around without a clear vision of what exactly they're trying to be.

I'm not saying that's easy to do , but their highly paid executives don't seem to have any clue right now on even looking for that direction.

Seems Best Buy messed with my save for later items, SF6 and crisis core steelbook removed. Wanted dead CE ps5 too and a bunch of other ones

Well, it depends. Membership (or club) stores like Costco are IMHO great. When well managed, club stores can provide a cultivated selection of high quality products at exceptional discounts.

Pretty easy to see Best Buy is NOT being managed too well right now. They feel like Radio Shack - flailing around without a clear vision of what exactly they're trying to be.

I'm not saying that's easy to do , but their highly paid executives don't seem to have any clue right now on even looking for that direction.
mainly because too many stores are showrooms with folks buying online where they get cheaper prices due to no overhead.

I'm not certain what the future holds, but, its going to be interesting if this trend continues and it has shown no signs of stopping.

I was about to check out using my final $5 certificate, but it seems to have disappeared from my account. I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to expire until the 24th,and before checking out my cart even showed the after-credit price. Does anyone else still have theirs?

I was about to check out using my final $5 certificate, but it seems to have disappeared from my account. I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to expire until the 24th,and before checking out my cart even showed the after-credit price. Does anyone else still have theirs?
I just used mine an hour or so ago and it expired on the 24th.

I just looked through some old emails, and it turns out that it expired on the 17th. That still doesn't explain why my cart showed a discounted price though.

I just looked through some old emails, and it turns out that it expired on the 17th. That still doesn't explain why my cart showed a discounted price though.
Probably was something else, also apparently everyone $5 or $10 got different dates mines expires on July 1st. I doubt I use it, Sony S.O.B. ass decided not to have controllers on sales this year which I was planning on using then. Might still use for $5 off a controller or wait til BF (long ass wait)

I ended up using my $5 cert to make Bravely Default II a little cheaper when it was on sale.   Unless they start putting credit links in the emails again, that's probably my last cert with BB.  I did have an alarm set for the 24th as a reminder (which this was a good reminder to go delete that) and mine was set to expire 7/1.  BUT mine also was issued later than many others here.  So it makes sense they'd have different dates.

I returned a game that came with a steelbook and didn’t get charged for the steelbook. It was an order of two games though and I used a coupon. Weird

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but I saw an article that there's a new My Best By Plus reward for B2G1 free switch games? Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing or if i can only use it once? Kind of sounds like Gamer Club Unlocked but I want to make sure I'm understanding it right since I dont normally use best buy plus

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but I saw an article that there's a new My Best By Plus reward for B2G1 free switch games? Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing or if i can only use it once? Kind of sounds like Gamer Club Unlocked but I want to make sure I'm understanding it right since I dont normally use best buy plus
You can make multiple orders to get B2G1 free.

Paid membership for it makes it worse than targets regular b2g1 that often work for preorders at the start of the sale. That usually has red card discount and occasionally coupons from circle as well.

The problem is target very often excludes big first party nintendo titles, right?
That is correct. Very little from the Switch catalog, especially first party, are included in the Target B2G1. Thinking back, I can't personally recall anytime I got a First Party Switch title during a B2G1. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I own nearly every First Party Switch game that has come out, and I will always cancel a pre-order or forgo a throwaway freebie for a better day one price.

This deal is AWESOME. I pre-ordered pretty much every big Switch title coming out for the rest of the year including Pikmin, Mario Wonder, and Mario RPG.

One thing to note, if you plan on ordering multiple copies of one game, you have to place separate orders if it has a pre-order bonus and you want multiples of that. I'm not sure if anything besides Pikmin 4 currently comes with a bonus, but I had to put Pikmin in 2 separate orders to get 2 of the pre-order bags. I ran into this issue a few years ago with a Steelbook on a game, and BB Customer Service said I was out of luck, so this is how their system works and not a glitch. Just wanted to point that out if anybody is trying to take advantage of the deal but also wants to get the pre-order goodies on multiple copies of the same game.

Yeah, it's not too bad for $50 if you buy enough switch games. Even better if you share the membership with friends/family members. I wonder how often that type of deal comes around though

Not sure how awesome this deal really is without having any clue what other deals My Best Buy Plus will offer.

Three sets of b2g1 at $60 each with 8% tax is $389. Plus $50 for the membership comes to a total of $439. $439 / 9 is $49 per game; assuming I'll never get use of another deal from My Best Buy Plus.

That is correct. Very little from the Switch catalog, especially first party, are included in the Target B2G1. Thinking back, I can't personally recall anytime I got a First Party Switch title during a B2G1. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I own nearly every First Party Switch game that has come out, and I will always cancel a pre-order or forgo a throwaway freebie for a better day one price.
I know i got Bayonetta and Mario Strikers and... something else this year at target on a B2G1. but i had to wait half a year for Bayo to be included, a year for Strikers (which as far as I know is a failed title), and i dont remember the 3rd game.

but again, those are lesser Nintendo titles wand it wasnt even at launch

Not sure how awesome this deal really is without having any clue what other deals My Best Buy Plus will offer.

Three sets of b2g1 at $60 each with 8% tax is $389. Plus $50 for the membership comes to a total of $439. $439 / 9 is $49 per game; assuming I'll never get use of another deal from My Best Buy Plus.
It's great if you're the type of person that buys all the first party games at launch though.

bread's done
Back