Best Deal to purchase Complete DBZ series?

shorj998

CAGiversary!
I'm having a hard time finding a complete box set of the whole DBZ series. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. The best I could find were individual seasons on Amazon.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately there is no complete series box set, at least not yet. There may be one after the dragon boxes are finished being released, otherwise buying them separately would be your best bet.

I highly doubt they will ever make a complete box set of the series. It's not like U.S. TV shows where they release 50+ discs sets, mainly because the anime fanbase who actually buys physical media is not a very large one. If you want everything now, you'll have to settle for the FUNimation "remastered" version sets, otherwise, I suggest you just wait for the Dragon Boxes to finish their releases probably some time next year. If you want to collect it as it's being released, Amazon tends to have the individual Dragon Boxes on sale for about $20-25 a piece sometimes. Right now they're on Dragon Box 4, which is the start of the Cell arc.

You can get Seasons Set at Walmart for cheap (Season 1 & 2 combo pack, Seasons 3 & 4 combo pack) for $30 Each. I refer Dragon Box Set over seasons set.

Since nobody here has said it yet, you got three choices:

The cheap orange box sets - $20-35 each. It has nine seasons. It was cropped into widescreen and digitally remastered with questionable results.

The Dragon Box Sets - $25-50 each. I haven't bought these, but they are still releasing a new set every other month with more episodes. Is in the original 4:3 format. Remastered properly.

If you hated all of the filler in DBZ, but still want to buy it, then...
Dragon Ball Z Kai (Blu or DVD) $20-40 each. Are only released in half season sets though. Series has been upscaled to HD and remastered, and edited to only follow the manga. That means no Garlic Jr, filler episodes, no long drawn out battles, etc.

Check it, this is an amazing site for The "fx" branded anime.

I have spent over 4 hundred on anime on this site and its fantastic. cheap shipping and specials too.

The complete set of DRAGONBALL Z is 215 and thats a shit load of episodes.

I know the site looks amateur but i am telling you this site is the best when it comes to budget anime.

http://kcdvd.com/ is the website, but it looks like DRAGONBALL Z is on clearance. http://kcdvd.com/Clearance.html half way down page!

Can not stress the awesomeness of this site.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Check it, this is an amazing site for The "fx" branded anime.

I have spent over 4 hundred on anime on this site and its fantastic. cheap shipping and specials too.

The complete set of DRAGONBALL Z is 215 and thats a shit load of episodes.

I know the site looks amateur but i am telling you this site is the best when it comes to budget anime.

http://kcdvd.com/ is the website, but it looks like DRAGONBALL Z is on clearance. http://kcdvd.com/Clearance.html half way down page!

Can not stress the awesomeness of this site.[/QUOTE]

Yay bootlegs! some of which at higher prices than you can find the actual releases.

[quote name='Afflicted']Yay bootlegs! some of which at higher prices than you can find the actual releases.[/QUOTE]

Yay! Haha dbz is 215, but if you buy all the real sets from amazon.com they're 20-24 a set. For all 9 sets it's around $200. Hmmm bootleg for 215 or real deal for $200

Personally I am getting the Dragon Boxes, but usually wait for each of them to fall to $25 when I get them. I used to own the crappy remastered orange boxes, but they really sucked. I used to own the individual releases which were actually better than the orange boxes but the complete series was never released individually.

I will eventually get DB Kai on blu-ray when they have 26 eps. per set which will most likely happen when they finish releasing the 13 ep. sets which Funimation is notorious for releasing for other series they have. I guess it is possible they might release the 26 ep. sets before the regular set is completely released because they did that with D.Gray-man.

If you are tight on money and don't care for the fillers, I personally would wait on DB Kai.

[quote name='SanjiX']Since nobody here has said it yet, you got three choices:

The cheap orange box sets - $20-35 each. It has nine seasons. It was cropped into widescreen and digitally remastered with questionable results.

The Dragon Box Sets - $25-50 each. I haven't bought these, but they are still releasing a new set every other month with more episodes. Is in the original 4:3 format. Remastered properly.

Dragon Ball Z Kai (Blu or DVD) $20-40 each. Are only released in half season sets though. Series has been upscaled to HD and remastered, and edited to only follow the manga. That means no Garlic Jr, filler episodes, no long drawn out battles, etc.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know the DBZ kai boxes were such a major cut back. I actually really like that. I'm going to consider purchasing tho. Thanks.

On the Daizenshuu EX podcast they mentioned something in passing about the Dragon Boxes going out of print. Has anyone heard that too? Does it make sense without all the sets being released?

[quote name='WebScud']On the Daizenshuu EX podcast they mentioned something in passing about the Dragon Boxes going out of print. Has anyone heard that too? Does it make sense without all the sets being released?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Funimation has said that they're intended to be limited. If you plan on buying them at some point, you should probably do so sooner rather than later, as they won't be around forever (at least in their current form).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes, Funimation has said that they're intended to be limited. If you plan on buying them at some point, you should probably do so sooner rather than later, as they won't be around forever (at least in their current form).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's good to know. Same deal with the DB and DBGT season sets?

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Umm why did my post get deleted. wtf?

can we not post sites?

EDIT: sorry didnt realize it was a bootleg site. SORRY!

[quote name='SanjiX']Since nobody here has said it yet, you got three choices:

Dragon Ball Z Kai (Blu or DVD) $20-40 each. Are only released in half season sets though. Series has been upscaled to HD and remastered, and edited to only follow the manga. That means no Garlic Jr, filler episodes, no long drawn out battles, etc.[/QUOTE]
This. Picked up the 4 Dragon Box sets during Black Friday in the $25-27 range from Amazon and Gohastings. Need to wait on ~3 more to come out.

I'm half-way through the orange boxes and I think they're fine content-wise. People get so hung up bullshit that they can't enjoy life. Theyre real cheap.

[quote name='shrike4242']Answered your own question. Anything that's listed as "Region 0" is bootleg, or just reading the page descriptions will get you to figure it out all on your own.[/QUOTE]

Thats not entirely true although its 99.9% accurate. There are some legit releases that are all region but the only one I can think of off hand is the original lodoss war ova. 99.999999% of the time all region = bootleg.

[quote name='gorebago']I'm half-way through the orange boxes and I think they're fine content-wise. People get so hung up bullshit that they can't enjoy life. Theyre real cheap.[/QUOTE]

If you're ok with paying good money for shitty DVDs, why not just go bootleg? It's even CHEAPER.

I bought them mostly during black friday when they were like 13 bucks on amazon. The other ones ive gotten were gohastings. I'm fine with them.

The boxset with horrid cropping issues I think is the new world at war blu ray. Entire interviews feature people who have a good portion of their heads cropped off. It's annoying. these boxsets are better in comparison.

All the seasons on Orange boxes were $13 literally two weeks ago. I Say check back and forth on Amazon since those ones seem to get marked down randomly.

I hate to mentioned this but Amazon had orange DBZ seasons for sale on Dec 16 for $13.49 a season. I bought season 6 to 9. Free Shipping and and no taxes saved me alot of money. Alot of times these DVD sales only last a day. Someone did post on this CAG when they had anime on sale at Amazon.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']If you're ok with paying good money for shitty DVDs, why not just go bootleg? It's even CHEAPER.[/QUOTE]
You enjoy them then, pal.

Two things I forgot to mention are...

1. DB Kai's voice work was completely redone in Japanese & English with most of the original voice actors returning to the cast. The Funimation dub claims to have followed the original Japanese script more closely than before, but I guess I'll have to see it to believe it since I'll probably never buy it.

2. If you were absolutely in love with the American broadcast from a few years ago, the orange box sets are the only sets that include the music from the Cartoon Network broadcast. I personally am not a fan of the music, but some people have whined that the Dragon Boxes and (obviously) Kai do not have it.

[quote name='SanjiX']You enjoy them then, pal.

Two things I forgot to mention are...

1. DB Kai's voice work was completely redone in Japanese & English with most of the original voice actors returning to the cast. The Funimation dub claims to have followed the original Japanese script more closely than before, but I guess I'll have to see it to believe it since I'll probably never buy it.

2. If you were absolutely in love with the American broadcast from a few years ago, the orange box sets are the only sets that include the music from the Cartoon Network broadcast. I personally am not a fan of the music, but some people have whined that the Dragon Boxes and (obviously) Kai do not have it.[/QUOTE]

So what's the difference between the different box sets? I have the DBZ on VHS (Japanese and was out on VHS.)
I was wondering, any DBZ box set that is like the VHS Japanese version? When DBZ came out on Cartoon Network/US, it was disappointing.

[quote name='bardockkun']Heads up, but Amazon has the orange box season sets for $15.49-$15.99 again.[/QUOTE]

I wish the DB Sets were on sale as well....

There are only 2 ways of watching DBZ:

1. If you want to watch the original series the way it was suppose to be then buy the Dragon Box for the Japanese version.

2. If you want to watch the English version of the series then watch DragonBall Kai.

bread's done
Back