Best HDTV for Gaming?

for gaming you might want a plasma. response time is far superior to an lcd's (which is highly important for gaming), no worrying about refresh rates (again an importance to gaming, lcds had to develop 120hz tech in order to deal with blur, plasmas don't have this problem), better viewing angles (not as important unless you're NOT going to be sitting straight-away from the TV or maybe you have friends over to watch tv/play games). Color levels and black especially on a plasma are also superior to an LCD's (the difference can be minimized through meticulous calibration), but that's usually a film-watching point and not a gaming one.

drawbacks for plasma are that they draw more power than comparable lcds (size-wise), possibility of burn-in (although tech has improved to the point that you have to be ABUSING your tv to get burn-in), and bigger size (have you SEEN the new LED samsungs...amazingly thin). also probably the biggest thing is that they are more EXPENSIVE than comparable lcds.

I have a Panasonic Viera G10 42" plasma in the family room (~$900 when I got it this past summer...maybe cheaper now, a really good tv that i recommend), and I use a Samsung T260HD LCD tv as my desktop monitor ($250 which i would pay again for it).

If you are serious about PQ, nothing beats Pioneer Kuro/Elite. Since all Pioneer PDPs are out of production, you might be able to find it somewhere much cheaper than they used to be. If you can find it at discounted price, don't hesitate and grab it. If it's still out of your budget, my next recommendation would be Panasonic 1080P PDP or Bravia XBR LCD.

[quote name='rpnguyen']for gaming you might want a plasma. response time is far superior to an lcd's (which is highly important for gaming), no worrying about refresh rates (again an importance to gaming, lcds had to develop 120hz tech in order to deal with blur, plasmas don't have this problem), better viewing angles (not as important unless you're NOT going to be sitting straight-away from the TV or maybe you have friends over to watch tv/play games). Color levels and black especially on a plasma are also superior to an LCD's (the difference can be minimized through meticulous calibration), but that's usually a film-watching point and not a gaming one.

drawbacks for plasma are that they draw more power than comparable lcds (size-wise), possibility of burn-in (although tech has improved to the point that you have to be ABUSING your tv to get burn-in), and bigger size (have you SEEN the new LED samsungs...amazingly thin). also probably the biggest thing is that they are more EXPENSIVE than comparable lcds.

I have a Panasonic Viera G10 42" plasma in the family room (~$900 when I got it this past summer...maybe cheaper now, a really good tv that i recommend), and I use a Samsung T260HD LCD tv as my desktop monitor ($250 which i would pay again for it).[/QUOTE]

plasmas, currently panasonic's are NOT more expensive than comparable lcd's
youve got it backwards.

[quote name='paz9x']plasmas, currently panasonic's are NOT more expensive than comparable lcd's
youve got it backwards.[/QUOTE]

sorry, you are right. just a brain fart, i guess.

[quote name='tgk2044']So I don't have to start a new thread, I'll just ask here... is this a good price for a good TV (general questions I know, just looking to see if there's any opinions on owners or viewers)

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425681&pCatg=13307

It's the cheapest price I've seen, and I believe it is 600hz as well.[/QUOTE]

hz only matters on lcd's
the below tv is better neo pdp, uses less power the model you linked is an older model.
theyre both very nice displays.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256050768&sr=8-3

Sharp Aquos 42" LCD (LC-42D64U)

One of the lowest video processing delays available. Its low enough to even fool many tournament grade fighting game players.

Mitsubishi 73" DLP TV Diamond Series

I've got one of these TV's and they are awesome. Games look great on them. Sure the downside is they take up alot of room, but that's what a BFT us supposed to do. Also this is my 2nd Mitsubishi the first I bought in 93 and despite needing a cleaning it's still running today. in all that time I've called a repair man once. Also the Bravia's look amazing too, it's the only tv's I've seen and said damn, wish I had gotten one of those

Well I guess on that note, I'm open to any recent suggestions, but I am thinking about holding out for a Black Friday deal... I won't be needing a TV until the spring, but I figure if I can snag one then, I'll be happy.

[quote name='tgk2044']Well I guess on that note, I'm open to any recent suggestions, but I am thinking about holding out for a Black Friday deal... I won't be needing a TV until the spring, but I figure if I can snag one then, I'll be happy.[/QUOTE]

if you dont mind waiting until spring superbowl time is probably better than black friday for overall tv purchases.

Okay, so I'm thinking of getting a new tv by xmas.
I'm thinking about going 1080p with Samsung or Panasonic 50' or higher
Probably an LCD

But does anyone know if 240 hz is any better or worse than 120?

bread's done
Back