Best Online Deal 2009

I'd say this was a piss-poor year for online deals overall. There were a few things here and there but I nominate nothing because I can't remember a specific deal that stood out, especially compared with some of the incredible B&M deals. I probably bought the most from Amazon but it wasn't from any particular deal (so they get my nod for best online retailer but not for any particular sale).

Steam Holiday Sales. No contest for me. Always looked forward to the next day's deals and the discussion with friends over them. "How is this game?" "That game isn't worth the cash!"

Steat Fighter 4, for 29 euro pre-order before the game came out at, base.com
amazing deal.
Steam holiday sale was also amazing.
Also all the ms point cards from the UK, 4200 points for +-30 euro is a STEAL.

Last year for me it was Amazon's Black Friday sale. This year I think Steam took over the crown from Amazon. Amazon had some decent deals, but nothing like the daily Steam deals for great games around $5-$7.50 or less in some cases.

Steam Holiday Sale. This year I got Knights of the old Republic for 5 dollars, and got Mass Effect before the holiday sale for 10 dollars. In the past I also got the Orange Box for 9.99. Let Steam take this year.

Amazon's trade-in deals were definitely the best for me. The $75 off a console coupons got me great deals on both a DS and a PSP (and, thanks to the additional $50 coupon glitch, a PS2 as well), and the 50% off coupon got me unbelievable deals on the Beatles Rock Band SE and the Demon's Souls CE. Add in to those the trade-in credit (which in many cases was actually more than I'd paid for the games in the first place, thanks to my CAG ways), and I barely spent any actual cash on any of those. I don't think anything could top those.

Amazon BF and pre-BF sales, which weren't as good as last year, though had my at my PC multiple mornings at 2AM CT to jump on the deals.

GameFly sale is always a good one for most CAGs.

Steam holiday sale, which I didn't partake, though should have.

[quote name='io']I'd say this was a piss-poor year for online deals overall. There were a few things here and there but I nominate nothing because I can't remember a specific deal that stood out, especially compared with some of the incredible B&M deals. I probably bought the most from Amazon but it wasn't from any particular deal (so they get my nod for best online retailer but not for any particular sale).[/QUOTE]

This is my reasoning as well. Amazon is without question the best retailer, but most of the deals they had were simply matching other B&M's sales (which is no small feat, don't get me wrong...just not a standout deal on its own).

If I'm picking the most impressive slew of deals that nobody else could compete with, I'd have to go with Gamefly's end of year sale. Many of those games were 50% cheaper than Gamestop's going rate. So many great games were in the $10-15 range. Who can say no to that?

Gamefly - Resident Evil 5 $12.99 like new condition, brand new case and book. Could not beat it! Also liked Mario Bros WII for $44.99 preorder + $10 credit.

Amazon (.ca) holiday sales

it completely solved my boxing day needs without having to go out and everything got home in record time.

bread's done
Back